PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bush suggests that Schwarzenegger could someday become president

Kong
07-08-2006, 09:40 AM
COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Former President George H.W. Bush presented Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger an award for public service on Tuesday and suggested that the foreign-born, former action movie star could someday be elected president.

"In regard to him ever being president of the United States, my advice to you Aggies and to any of those doubters, don't bet against Arnold Schwarzenegger," Bush told about 2,500 people attending the award ceremony at Texas A&M University.

The former president didn't endorse Schwarzenegger for the nation's highest office. But he obliquely referred to recent discussions about amending the U.S. Constitution to allow a foreign-born citizen to be president. Schwarzenegger, who was born in Austria, currently is ineligible for the White House, but Bush said people have been underestimating him during his entire career -- as a bodybuilder, actor and now governor.

Schwarzenegger tried to downplay the presidential speculation about himself, but he said immigrants should have the opportunity to run for the office.

"I like the opportunity," he replied, eliciting much laughter, when an immigrant-questioner in the audience said he didn't believe immigrants should be president.

"Of course, not because of me. I only have an interest to fix California," the governor added. "But I think that if someone lives here a period of time ... and votes and all that and makes good contributions to the country, I think someone should have the right to also run for president."

He called the debate over a constitutional amendment a "very interesting discussion, and I hope the discussion will go on in the future in this country."

A Silicon Valley group has launched a Web site and sponsored TV commercials promoting a constitutional amendment that would benefit a Schwarzenegger presidential bid. The governor has tried to distance himself from the group. But he has been traveling extensively outside of California and, according to one newspaper report, organizers of the "Amend for Arnold" movement say he has privately given them encouragement.

Schwarzenegger campaigned for President George W. Bush during this fall's White House race. He also campaigned for former President Bush and chaired his Council on Physical Fitness and Sports.

Schwarzenegger said the former president wrote him a letter encouraging him to run for California governor a year ago, when the former actor unseated Democrat Gray Davis in a recall election. Despite lingering budgetary problems, Schwarzenegger remains hugely popular in the state.

The former president presented Schwarzenegger the 2004 George Bush Award for "excellence in public service" and praised the governor for his dreams and his perseverance.

"Arnold is not afraid to dream big, and he's put in the hard work to make that dream into a reality," Bush said.

"He's embraced the idea of public service as a noble calling," he added.

Previous recipients of the award include former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, former German Chancellor Helmut Kohl and U.S. Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., the uncle of Schwarzenegger's wife, Maria Shriver.

The governor joked that Kennedy wanted to attend Tuesday's ceremony but couldn't.

"Thanksgiving was only five days ago, and he's still working on his dinner," Schwarzenegger quipped.

The honoree also joked that the award was a "presidential pardon for my bad movies."

The governor praised the former president for his career of public service.

He said Bush was "not only my hero but he's also my mentor and my teacher."

A constitutional amendment allowing Schwarzenegger or any other foreign-born citizen to run for president would require a two-thirds vote of both houses of Congress and ratification by 38 states.

And when we publish, we do it in a timely fashion. Better, I say, to be surprised by your newspaper in October than to learn in November that your newspaper has betrayed you by withholding the truth.

Prolifical ENG
07-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Good article.

If that happens, then all hail Conan!

http://www.geocities.com/minstrel_blue/Conan2.jpg

HANZO
07-08-2006, 05:16 PM
arnold would make a good president, i dont think any country would fuk with him. and surely no one would threaten him with war.

RADIOACTIVE MAN
07-08-2006, 05:19 PM
lol..i think that would be a big ass joke

whitey
07-08-2006, 05:29 PM
he would dominate other countries presidents inside the octogon. i think thats how all disputes should be settled.

Edgar Erebus
07-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Hell yeah, this is another proof Bush is a complete idiot. Not because of reasons he wants Tookie-Killah for president, but for something deeper.

Remember, children: ONLY U.S. CITIZENS BY BIRTH CAN BECOME PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Source: U.S. Constitution, forgot which article. Obviously Bush ain't been readin...

RADIOACTIVE MAN
07-08-2006, 08:07 PM
^^Amen

Gawd
07-08-2006, 08:23 PM
Hell yeah, this is another proof Bush is a complete idiot. Not because of reasons he wants Tookie-Killah for president, but for something deeper.

Remember, children: ONLY U.S. CITIZENS BY BIRTH CAN BECOME PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. Source: U.S. Constitution, forgot which article. Obviously Bush ain't been readin...

Tookie deserved death for what he did. And you all know damn well if he killed your family members especially the way he did you would want him dead.

Im sure Mr Bush knows the Constitution.

whitey
07-08-2006, 09:36 PM

and african americans werent people in the original constitution so...

there is always the amendment process.

Dokuro
07-09-2006, 12:30 AM
i begged god not for it to be true when he was elected for my home land

but if he become pres. i will put in in my and my brothers hand no whay will we let a nazi become a pres not in this centry

Kong
07-09-2006, 09:50 AM

There going to change the constitution, i recommend people watch some alex jones here to, theres a lot about Arnold Schwarzenegger in 9/11 martial law, i got that up on my site.

Also: http://www.arnoldexposed.com/

Edgar Erebus
07-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Dumb site

Kong
07-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Dumb site

Why?

CherChezLaMarauder
07-09-2006, 12:12 PM
"You little girly bastards...Get down!"

Edgar Erebus
07-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Why?

It's just dumb, one-sided, blind, boring and badly produced. Arnold Schwarzenegger a nazi, LOL, he's just a dumb motherfucker whose muscles grew destroying his brain. That's explanation for as dumb statements as he makes.

HANZO
07-09-2006, 06:46 PM
It's just dumb, one-sided, blind, boring and badly produced. Arnold Schwarzenegger a nazi, LOL, he's just a dumb motherfucker whose muscles grew destroying his brain. That's explanation for as dumb statements as he makes.

if arnold was dum he wouldnt become the best bodybuilder ever, the highest paid and most powerful man in hollywood and then become the governer of the sixth largest economy in the world, california. and now there are plans to make him president of the usa.

Edgar Erebus
07-09-2006, 07:35 PM
All glory to his campaign-leader.