PDA

View Full Version : What Is Commercial Hip Hop?

ERN-DAWGY
07-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Lately I been gettin real pissed of cuz dudes on here throwin out commercial to every album like they kno what the fuck they talkin about...uhh that shit is commerical ...ahhh it played on TV once that shit is commercial... well I'm here to tell ya'll what commerical hip hop is so u can finally shut your mouths n never open it again..

1. Commercial Hip Hop means changing lyrics to suit a different audience...for example... when Busta first came out he was raw, rugged and grimey, now he makes songs that are like "I love my chick what what I love my chick....gay"

2. Being commercial means selling out...Leaving your good old underground click and sellin out to the Mainstream Rap, which is shit and better knows Commercial Rap...

3. Commercial Rap Means Hearing the same shitty ass song fifty times on the radio over and over again....Radio blows by the way....

if u want somethin added then add it here...n dont say shit is commercial unless u kno what the fuck u talkin about

u kno who u are hidin in the shadows

TAURO
07-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Big Puns album Capital Punishment went platinum so that makes it commercial but the album mostly beats wise and lyricly are as hard as any underground cd, it was popular because of songs like still not a player, but even though he was rhyming about women he was lyricly strong.

Plus most hip hop albums in the early to mid ninties where all on a commercial level because at that point there was no underground, that only came about around 96.

ERN-DAWGY
07-12-2006, 10:45 AM
nah man underground was there before the 90's

ERN-DAWGY
07-12-2006, 10:46 AM
i dont think pun was coomercial just cuz he was played on TV a bit..when pun came out he was pun till he died r.i.p

ERN-DAWGY
07-12-2006, 10:48 AM
on the other hand he did he have a couple of song that was targete at the mainsteam audience so he can make some loot...but hes style was still the same

TAURO
07-12-2006, 10:51 AM
I never said he was commercial sounding, I was just highlighting a moment when someone with real skills with a dope album went platinum, it's rare but it does happen.

TAURO
07-12-2006, 10:53 AM
I never knew of no underground in the early ninties, why would there be one when in those days you had Wu-tang, Nas, Mobb Deep, Krs 1 etc being played on mtv and radio.

Don't you remember Yo Mtv Raps?

EVEN FLOW
07-12-2006, 10:58 AM
no. Commercial is having commercial topics. Like RIms, Your Clothes, Bitches, and Chains. "Ice Cream" was a commercial track and thats why there was a video for it. Thats whats really popular, the more you talk about Girls, Cars, and CLothes the more you sell. You used to at least have to have skills to go PLatnium, now, you can be any dude that looks Gangsta and has a catchy voice. Hip-Hop is dead.

TAURO
07-12-2006, 11:02 AM
I don't think thats entirly true, I think the production and the hook have alot to do with it also because I could name a few artists that don't talk about those subjects but have a commercial status.

TAURO
07-12-2006, 11:05 AM
I also think that nearly every rapper talks about girls and getting paper, thats a standard part of life and rhyming is supposed to reflect life, even mc's like MF Doom has talked about Girls and money.

Dirty Knowledge
07-12-2006, 11:06 AM
com·mer·cial (kə-mūr'shəl) http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/pron.gif
adj.

Of or relating to commerce (http://www.answers.com/topic/commerce): a commercial loan; a commercial attaché.
Engaged in commerce: a commercial trucker.
Involved in work that is intended for the mass market: a commercial artist.
Of, relating to, or being goods, often unrefined, produced and distributed in large quantities for use by industry.
Having profit as a chief aim: a commercial book, not a scholarly tome.
Sponsored by an advertiser or supported by advertising: commercial television.n. A paid advertisement on television or radio.

Well, that explains it.

EVEN FLOW
07-12-2006, 11:06 AM
well then I wouldn't consider them commercial. The goal in the "Rap Indusrty" is to make money with music from your heart. So, those guys like say "Nas" are popular because he is that damn good and the Jay-Z beef.

Dirty Knowledge
07-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Whereas underground music is not always sponsored. Such as independant artists who sell their own music from trunks or sell them to record stores to be sold and profit is split. Something you are unaware of unless you search for that product.

TAURO
07-12-2006, 11:11 AM
adj.

Of or relating to commerce (http://www.answers.com/topic/commerce): a commercial loan; a commercial attaché.
Of, relating to, or being goods, often unrefined, produced and distributed in large quantities for use by industry.
Sponsored by an advertiser or supported by advertising: commercial television.n. A paid advertisement on television or radio.

Well, that explains it.

Fair enough, that has just solved this debate, although it has opened up a few new questions but I won't bother with that now, not yet anyway.

Longbongcilvaringz
07-12-2006, 11:13 AM
commercial just means the artists is commercially viable.

in definition it has nothing to do with the topic or quality of the music.......

but shit that tends to sell well these days has a certain sound and subject matter, and that sound or subject matter may not be to everyones taste.

if an underground artist manages to sell 2,000, 000 records with grimey beats and abstract rhymes it doesnt make him any less commercial then if 50 cent sells the same using his current style.

Dirty Knowledge
07-12-2006, 11:14 AM
But he did it without radio help, publicity, big time corporations behind him. Slim Thug did it that way, once he did and made money, he went commercial. 50 was commercial back when he did "Robbing the Industry".

TSA
07-12-2006, 06:58 PM
Lately I been gettin real pissed of cuz dudes on here throwin out commercial to every album like they kno what the fuck they talkin about...uhh that shit is commerical ...ahhh it played on TV once that shit is commercial... well I'm here to tell ya'll what commerical hip hop is so u can finally shut your mouths n never open it again..

1. Commercial Hip Hop means changing lyrics to suit a different audience...for example... when Busta first came out he was raw, rugged and grimey, now he makes songs that are like "I love my chick what what I love my chick....gay"

2. Being commercial means selling out...Leaving your good old underground click and sellin out to the Mainstream Rap, which is shit and better knows Commercial Rap...

3. Commercial Rap Means Hearing the same shitty ass song fifty times on the radio over and over again....Radio blows by the way....

if u want somethin added then add it here...n dont say shit is commercial unless u kno what the fuck u talkin about

u kno who u are hidin in the shadows

Commericial is a term dubbed on a type of hip hop that has been made since the beginning of hip hop, before the street type, that backpackers and cats that won't except the differences in peoples tastes use to make there opinion on music seem some how "realer" or more superior to another ones while in turn all they do i limit thier favorite artists ability to grow be creative and successful. It's sad really, and every thing so said was stupid. Hip Hop is club music, PERIOD, do your history, it was designed to make crowds move and have a good time in a block party, it's the lack of lables it had in the beginning that allowed it to expand to mean more, but those days are over.

MTO
07-12-2006, 08:31 PM
ying yang twins = commercial

ERN-DAWGY
07-12-2006, 09:31 PM

u kno it

xHard to Earnx
07-12-2006, 09:36 PM
These threads are so fucking stupid.

makalani
07-12-2006, 09:56 PM
to a super backpacker commerical is anything that moves more than 30,000 units

Koolish
07-12-2006, 11:30 PM
adj.

Well, that explains it.
perfect.

Prolifical ENG
07-13-2006, 09:58 AM
You can throw that definition out the window....the classification between the 2 are only abstract concepts.

There will always be albums put out that are on better labels, will push more units, will sound different, etc. Its easier to save your breath arguing where the line should be drawn.

THE W
07-13-2006, 11:05 AM
this pretty much sums it up.

an album is not commercial because of the music. its commercial because of the manner in which it is marketed and distributed.

if an artist doesnt want to be commercial then they should stick to selling albums out of their trunk.

tacle
07-13-2006, 11:17 AM
I don't really give a fuck you know.

TSA
07-13-2006, 01:53 PM

Ying Yang makes musicd for strip clubs, period. Chef makes music for the streets, so dont shit on them for doing what they do, Whistle While you Twerk is the shit lol, but you can't listen to Chef and listen to Ying Yang and expect the same thing, don't be stupid. It's like hating your mom for not looking like your dad. When you listen to Ying Yang, think about what they're trying to do on the song, and judge them by how well they did it cause they ain't trying to do the same thing as Onyx, and if you don't like what they're doing, or them, then cool, but i don't believe in this "commerical" shit, its a lable that ruins rap. Backpackers are worst for hip hop then Nick cannon i swear.

PLO-Stylez
07-13-2006, 05:25 PM
BAckpackers are shit they are close minded. Judge each artist/ song individually if its good listen to it if not then dont if a good song happens to be commercial doesnt mean u shouldnt listen to it

BTW backpackers worse than Nick Cannon cmon Nick Cannon sings like those Boy Band guys and calls it rap

TSA
07-13-2006, 11:06 PM
BAckpackers are shit they are close minded. Judge each artist/ song individually if its good listen to it if not then dont if a good song happens to be commercial doesnt mean u shouldnt listen to it

BTW backpackers worse than Nick Cannon cmon Nick Cannon sings like those Boy Band guys and calls it rap

if he's rapping its rap.

Dirty Knowledge
07-17-2006, 06:59 PM
if an artist doesnt want to be commercial then they should stick to selling albums out of their trunk.

It is what it is.

Meta4
07-17-2006, 09:24 PM
if he's rapping its rap.

Whoa homeboy that kid Aaron Carter??? ain't doin' rap music just cuz his lyrics rhyme. You need to re-adjust that phrase. Anyways fuck the whole commercial rap sucks bullshit. D-BLOCK did it big now and they rep harder than just about any other artist out there. Commercial is a business/marketing phrase.

NicNic
07-17-2006, 11:13 PM
I love when people love to classify commercial rap vs. underground. People seem to think underground rap is so deep 'cause we rap about the stars and being one wit the gods.... No that's not it. The question should be re-phrased from signed and unsigned. Thats what it boils down to. 95% of underground cats are unsigned. And they hate on someone with a deal but they haven't done anything to market themselves to the industry. Call it what you will but you rarely see "commerical rappers" drivin' taxi's and flippin' burgers.....

crass
07-17-2006, 11:22 PM
most underground rap is just MCs trying to make it big. the only underground artists who matter are the ones who don't care about mainstream success/acceptance.