PDA

View Full Version : An Invitation to Close the Mind?

LHX
07-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Yo I ran across a quote today while I was reading a book by Vonnegut:

From Hocus Pocus:
...profanity and obscenity entitle people who don't want unpleasant information to close their ears and eyes to you.
Please weigh in on the above statement from 2 angles:

1 - understanding how unpleasant 'Truth' can be as it is revealed, what are the implications of the above statement?

2 - what does it imply in terms of the approach you would take to communicating to an audience?

Knowledged
07-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Basically it's kinda like finding out you have some sort of life threatening illness. Your mind will be in a state of denial, it could eventually overcome and accept it, but sometimes people go into full blown denial and live as if they've never heard it. But as for telling the truth. I've always found finding relateable information the same. Like reminding them certain information. Like "remember when this happened, or when that happened, it's kinda like that except these things are different" I guess its somewhat easier if the mind figures out that little puzzle, maybe I'm just full blown wrong, but thats my interpration.

CherChezLaMarauder
07-17-2006, 09:15 PM
pretty circumstantial, don't you think? Generally speaking it's just flat out emotion involved. Tell an animal lover you got a fur coat in the closet and he'll flip out.

Sicka than aidZ
07-17-2006, 09:17 PM
huh, ... I just found all my vonnegut books today. I thought they were goners. What book is it LHX?

Nevermind, i dont have hocus pocus, any good?

Aqueous Moon
07-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Some people really, physically cannot handle the truth.

So, wear full body armor and speak truth plainly.

LHX
07-17-2006, 09:53 PM
Some people really, physically cannot handle the truth.

So, wear full body armor and speak truth plainly.

at the end of the day, I guess that's what it all boils down to.

I have come to understand that this is a significant part of the 'disease' aspect of apocalypse.

the truth makes people sick - or rather, it exposes illness

LHX
07-17-2006, 09:55 PM
huh, ... I just found all my vonnegut books today. I thought they were goners. What book is it LHX?

Nevermind, i dont have hocus pocus, any good?

Hocus Pocus is good, but Slaughterhouse 5 is the classic

an incredible literary experience

especially the part with the atomic bomb in rewind

Punch
07-17-2006, 10:47 PM
my favorite of Vonnegut's books is Breakfast of Champions. Also like Cat's Cradle alot.

I'd like to see that quote in a larger context before I comment on it.

LHX
07-17-2006, 10:49 PM
which quote? the one i posted?

GuardianOne
07-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Could be reaction, human nature as of the present day society. But its the same thing.

Peace
PS: or its not important (just rubbish)

KBA7
07-18-2006, 01:54 PM
The truth forces people 2 view their twisted perspectives in entirety. Now if the truth makes their perspective false they become defensive and view the truth as the enemy 2 their ego.

Punch
07-18-2006, 02:42 PM
which quote? the one i posted?

yeah, from just that quote Legato has it right.

i think dukes saying that the way you put forth information gives people a reason to not listen to you.

there's nothing in that quote that says anything about truth, just information. It's like Lennon said about his song Imagine. People think it's a nice little song, but they don't realize it's basically the Communist manifesto. So It's the ideas that are important, and the way you put forth those ideas is going to influence how people recieve and process them.

LHX
07-18-2006, 03:46 PM
yeah, from just that quote Legato has it right.

there's nothing in that quote that says anything about truth, just information. It's like Lennon said about his song Imagine. People think it's a nice little song, but they don't realize it's basically the Communist manifesto. So It's the ideas that are important, and the way you put forth those ideas is going to influence how people recieve and process them.

wait a second - i didnt say anything about vonnegut referring to Truth - that was my own addition

Vonnegut's quote stands on its own - i was asking the implications of it to those who are familiar with the term 'the truth hurts'

Punch
07-18-2006, 03:56 PM
well exactly, why are we talking about "truth" if it's not implied by the quote in question? what point does the quote truly have? I think the quote has many more interesting implications other than the "truth" hurting.

"truth" hurts because most people see it as an absolute, and therefore unchangeable.

LHX
07-18-2006, 05:03 PM
well exactly, why are we talking about "truth" if it's not implied by the quote in question? what point does the quote truly have? I think the quote has many more interesting implications other than the "truth" hurting.

"truth" hurts because most people see it as an absolute, and therefore unchangeable.

we are talking about it because that was the question i asked

no other reason