PDA

View Full Version : Teacher under fire for his Cheney-9/11 theory ...

iniquity
07-21-2006, 06:59 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/US/07/21/Sept.11.prof.ap/story.cheney.ap.jpg

MADISON, Wisconsin (AP) -- More than 60 state lawmakers are urging the University of Wisconsin-Madison to fire an instructor who has argued that the U.S. government orchestrated the September 11 terrorist attacks.

A letter sent Thursday and signed by 52 Assembly representatives and nine state senators condemns a decision to let Kevin Barrett teach an introductory class on Islam this fall.

U.W.-Madison Provost Pat Farrell launched a review after Barrett spoke last month on a talk show about his views that the terrorist attacks were the result of a government conspiracy to spark war in the Middle East. After the review, Farrell said Barrett was a qualified instructor who can present his views as one perspective on the attacks.

Barrett has said he thinks the most likely theory about the 9/11 plot is that it was an "inside job" organized and commanded by Vice President Dick Cheney.

"I still have every expectation this will be a very positive educational experience for our students," Farrell said Thursday. "Some are upset about Mr. Barrett's viewpoints on 9/11 and don't want to pay much attention to what makes for a quality educational experience."

Republican Rep. Steve Nass said the lawmakers' letter, which called Barrett's views "academically dishonest," sends a strong message to top U.W. leaders.

"When 61 legislators condemn a decision by U.W.-Madison and demand the dismissal of Kevin Barrett, the leadership of the U.W. System operates at its own peril if it continues to ignore views of the taxpayers," Nass said in a statement.

Barrett has said Nass was "only interested in name-calling and witch hunting."

The state Assembly last week refused to take up a proposed resolution supported by Nass calling on university to fire Barrett, who will get $8,247 as a part-time instructor this fall.

In Colorado, another professor has been under fire for an essay likening white-collar victims of the September 11 attacks to Nazi official Adolf Eichmann, a key planner of the Holocaust.

University of Colorado officials concluded that ethnic studies professor Ward Churchill could not be fired over the essay because of free-speech protections, but they launched an investigation into allegations of academic misconduct.

A faculty committee concluded he committed research misconduct and university officials said last month that he should be fired. Churchill has appealed to keep his job.

Glad they're letting him teach .. :list:

crass
07-21-2006, 07:32 PM
1st amendment, he has every right to discuss that theory. it would go against the 1st amendment if he had to reinforce one viewpoint about 9/11.

Gawd
07-21-2006, 08:16 PM
1st amendment, he has every right to discuss that theory. it would go against the 1st amendment if he had to reinforce one viewpoint about 9/11.

Your right. But ppl pay to go to that school. I dont care what he said. But the ppl that pay to go there seem to have a problem with what he is teaching.

crass
07-21-2006, 08:23 PM
yeah but they have the choice not to take his course. at my school there are groups which piss me off but i'm not forced to associate with them, so if i argued these groups should be gone, that argument would have no legitimacy.
there's a boatload of critera re: first amendment issues on campus. my personal belief is if you don't like what someone says, you just need to speak louder and drown them out. (metaphorically)

Gawd
07-21-2006, 08:26 PM
yeah but they have the choice not to take his course.spoudid they know before they signed up for his course that he was going to spout conspiracy theories that would offend them? No. at my school there are groups which piss me off but i'm not forced to associate with them, so if i argued these groups should be gone, that argument would have no legitimacy.
there's a boatload of critera re: first amendment issues on campus. my personal belief is if you don't like what someone says, you just need to speak louder and drown them out. (metaphorically)

Like I said, he can say what he wants but those kids pay to go to that school and they have a right to complain about what they recieve for their payment.

Frontal Lobotomy
07-21-2006, 08:32 PM
a Teacher in a private school over here got sacked for owning a copy of Memoirs of an anti-semite a couple of years back, crazy stuff really. Fee-paying schools often make up their own curriculum so it rarely suprises me with what they manage to get away with. Prince Harry (the ginger kid in the nazi suit) was that dumb he had his Art (yes, art) teacher to help him pass his A-level, pathetic really.

PLO-Stylez
07-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Cheney orchestrates 9/11 i dont care how much u hate this administration that is ridiculous
but he can say what he wants but a teacher isnt supposed to really biased like that they are suposed to give both sides and let students decide

Knowledged
07-22-2006, 03:48 AM
Cheney orchestrates 9/11 i dont care how much u hate this administration that is ridiculous
but he can say what he wants but a teacher isnt supposed to really biased like that they are suposed to give both sides and let students decide

There's other teachers out there who teach both sides, one was on Fox News defending himself a couple days ago. I urge you to actually study 9/11. People have an overwhelming concept that other governments throughout the world can do bad to its own people besides America. No government throughout history has had their hands clean. There's enough credible people within the government, scientists, and engineers who can prove to you the same. Start with Tower 7. Slowly, but surely, your eyes will open.

UNCLE RUCKUS
07-22-2006, 08:45 AM

*Godfather Theme Music*

KAY
Senators and presidents don't have men killed...

MICHAEL Oh -- who's being na´ve, Kay?

*Godfather Theme Music*

Frontal Lobotomy
07-22-2006, 09:28 AM
You think the said teacher would've been fired for glorifying creationist theory?

Koolish
07-22-2006, 11:42 PM
doubtfully, but isn't it obvious that america is a largely christian country, you're not really saying a lot.

UNLESS you believe that a 9/11 conspiracy is idiocy, and you believe religion is as well.

Knowledged
07-24-2006, 01:06 AM
doubtfully, but isn't it obvious that america is a largely christian country, you're not really saying a lot.

UNLESS you believe that a 9/11 conspiracy is idiocy, and you believe religion is as well.

I think people assume this country is a christian nation, like I understand how it looks a christian nation, but this country is horrible. Pre-war Iraq was more of a christian nation than this place. It's more of a catholic nation you could say, where you can do what you want, visit a shrink, confess your problems, and you'll be clean. But Christian nation I doubt it, the media makes it look that way but in reality its pretty far from that. Just look at how much can be gotten away with on the radio and television, not saying its a bad thing neither a good thing, but if christians were really in control half of those things wouldn't be on, though they foolishly try, their efforts are usually worthless. Just in the way you look at it.

crass
07-30-2006, 05:25 AM
Just look at how much can be gotten away with on the radio and television, not saying its a bad thing neither a good thing, but if christians were really in control half of those things wouldn't be on, though they foolishly try, their efforts are usually worthless

one word: FCC

also you can't look at violence/sex on TV as if that is the only thing that indicates lack of Christianity. instead look at states outlawing abortion & gay marriage, and study every conservative running for office and find huge support from the Christian community as a whole, who campaign + fundraise like mad.

Knowledged
07-30-2006, 01:59 PM
one word: FCC

also you can't look at violence/sex on TV as if that is the only thing that indicates lack of Christianity. instead look at states outlawing abortion & gay marriage, and study every conservative running for office and find huge support from the Christian community as a whole, who campaign + fundraise like mad.

I think in a way, you've spun that. Just realize that decades ago, abortions were pretty fatal self implied procedures. They've become common place. When it comes to banning abortion it would be that, (hopefully i have the correct wording) Post Partum Abortion. Which is a bit cruel, where they deliver the kid up to the head, and then suck out the brains then pull out the dead baby. There's also a bunch of democrats who run for office as well. Look at Hilary, Hilary's raised a hell of a lot of money in such a short time. Either party fund raise. The stronghold that Christianity once had is dissolving is basically what I was pointing to. The politicals parties being warped into the american mind thats it only two parties are really hypocritical. Let babies live, but kill criminals, Kill babies, but spare the criminal. Lets control freedom of speech, lets control guns. I'm libertarian so that might be just a bit bias.