PDA

View Full Version : Ad Hominems

Prolifical ENG
07-31-2006, 12:39 PM
What does this mean?

There are basically 2 types...abusive ad hominems and circumstantial ad hominems.

If you know what these fallacies are and how to see them and manipulate them, it can make your own theses stronger as well as persuade others if done properly!

Prolifical ENG
08-01-2006, 11:15 AM
so no one who comes in here knows what it is?

they should because in most threads, it ends up as the problem that derails them.

Visionz
08-01-2006, 11:17 AM
quit holding out on us Prof---educate the masses

Strange Fruit
08-01-2006, 11:21 AM
homonym? or hominem?
i know what {a} homonym{s} is/are, just not,,, hominem,,,,,???????

Strange Fruit
08-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Description of Ad Hominem

Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man" or "against the person."
An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:

Person A makes claim X.
Person B makes an attack on person A.
Therefore A's claim is false.
The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases) have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made). Example of Ad Hominem

Bill: "I believe that abortion is morally wrong."
Dave: "Of course you would say that, you're a priest."
Bill: "What about the arguments I gave to support my position?"
Dave: "Those don't count. Like I said, you're a priest, so you have to say that abortion is wrong. Further, you are just a lackey to the Pope, so I can't believe what you say."
source: www.nizkor.org (http://www.nizkor.org)

Visionz
08-01-2006, 12:57 PM
thnks Veg, I was being too lazy to look it up

Strange Fruit
08-01-2006, 12:59 PM
you're welcome 'ric! well,
now that we know what it is,,,,

ever been a victim?
or better yet, ever been an offender?

Visionz
08-01-2006, 01:04 PM
I try to not use the train of thought myself but I've been a witness to it over and over again. And I have been victimized by it on several occassions but nothing real serious.

Strange Fruit
08-01-2006, 01:06 PM
^ seen.

hey Prof, do you mean like

"you're black, that makes you an immediate 5%er"?

you said you see it alot on this forum.

but what exactly do you mean?

Prolifical ENG
08-01-2006, 01:08 PM
^ seen.

hey Prof, do you mean like

"you're black, that makes you an immediate 5%er"?

you said you see it alot on this forum.

but what exactly do you mean?

whats the sticky about?

its not really "name calling" but people attack the people instead of their thesis.

Strange Fruit
08-01-2006, 01:10 PM
^ oh. gotchu.

mehhhhhhh,,,,, it's all a bunch of fanny wobble.

V4D3R
08-01-2006, 01:49 PM
argumentum ad hominem

In internet laymen's terms - to flame like a homo on another person's paradigm (point of view/opinion/thesis) by personaly attacking them and veering off the topic like a drunk free kcufnn hoe.

V4D3R
08-01-2006, 01:50 PM
^ Now wouldnt that make a nice sig peeps? ^

Strange Fruit
08-01-2006, 01:53 PM
lmao,,,,

that's g.

My First Timbs
08-02-2006, 06:01 PM
in almost every thread ive ever created, ive been hit up with a few ad hominems in addition to a plethora of othe logical fallacies

V4D3R
08-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Ahh Timbs - how I've missed your sanity. Wutup?

JASPER
08-02-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm not too fond of homomen, fellatios are welcome though

oh sorry.

Prolifical ENG
08-02-2006, 06:42 PM
in almost every thread ive ever created, ive been hit up with a few ad hominems in addition to a plethora of othe logical fallacies

hahah thats true....i see a lot of red herrings also

LHX
08-02-2006, 08:14 PM
i am going to go against the grain here and say that with skills in discussion, you can take a debate and run in circles with it so that even if you there is a deep rooted fallacy, a skilled debator can disguise it

it is something you see all over the place, but it doesnt get acknowledged

Prolifical ENG
08-02-2006, 08:39 PM
i am going to go against the grain here and say that with skills in discussion, you can take a debate and run in circles with it so that even if you there is a deep rooted fallacy, a skilled debator can disguise it

it is something you see all over the place, but it doesnt get acknowledged

thats the thing...sometimes....thats why i said eariler that they can presuade others if you are good enough at it. Politicians do it all the time and it works. Same as newspaper writers...but they really dont have a thesis anyway. But I dont know very many people...maybe not even one here who can do it properly that come to this room.

LHX
08-02-2006, 09:34 PM
thats the thing...sometimes....thats why i said eariler that they can presuade others if you are good enough at it. Politicians do it all the time and it works. Same as newspaper writers...but they really dont have a thesis anyway. But I dont know very many people...maybe not even one here who can do it properly that come to this room.

LMAO

make it sound like its a superpower

i heard they can also bend steel with their teeth

Prolifical ENG
08-02-2006, 10:28 PM
LMAO

make it sound like its a superpower

i heard they can also bend steel with their teeth

that is true....sometimes they responsible for derailing threads in this forum. if enough people know about it, its not so much of a superpower anymore.

brown_dogg
08-03-2006, 03:16 AM
Straw Man is also a popular one that you get a lot. the media uses to persuade you.

tajeco
08-03-2006, 03:50 AM
So then people who do that are turds right? Like republicans who say global warming is not a threat because Al Gore made that movie and he's a Democrat?

june181972
08-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Ad hominem: appealing to feelings or predjudices rather than intellect

2: an attack on character rather than an answer to contentions

I have found that it is often quite easy to use someone's own words against them. On a message board or anywhere else.

Quite often people speak without thinking.
A lot of people just straight up lie too damn much.
Many people speak just to here their own voice.
Some people are just too stupid to know that what they are saying is a bunch of nothing.

If one has the capacity for knowledge, and or the capacity for rational or intelligent thought (intellect), to point out and expose these flaws in someone's statement, more power to them.

Before someone makes a statement, or types a post, they should at least try to refine their words to cover all aspects.

One can eliminate, or at least reduce the factors of emotions, predjudice, and character in their assertions if they thoroughly think it through first.

I once heard a Muslim brother whom I consider to be wise admonish his audience by saying:
"Brothers, please think at least five times before you speak."

If one does this, even the most clever and silver-tongued opponent will have trouble with hitting the speaker with an ad hominem.