PDA

View Full Version : Your inspiration

Prince Rai
08-06-2006, 12:01 PM
I just want to know what book or person inspired you in life or has changed your outlook on life.

Personally Plato's Republic made me realise that we cannot always believe in what we see or have been taught while growing up (his analogy of the cave did the magic).

I also loved The Analects by Confucius.. Eastern Philosophy views the world more innocently (arguably) and helped me realise my inner self more.

The mere study of Islam also helped me in life. Different views of Islam made me appreciate diversity in Islam and how Islam is a way of life which is in existance as soon as you do something righteous.

anyway, whats your story?

peace

The Wizzard
08-06-2006, 10:37 PM
The Book Siddhartha by Herman Hesse probably had the most profound impact on me, that and Mario Puzo's The Godfather

LHX
08-06-2006, 11:07 PM
In chronological order and with omissions due to a faulty memory:

1. Albert Camus
2. Kurt Vonnegut
3. Sub-Atomic Physics
4. Tao te Ching
5. Wu-Tang
6. I Ching
7. Hagakure
8. Marshall McLuhan
9. Confucius
10. Robert Anton Wilson
11. Islam and all of the off-shoots of Islam
12. The Principia Discordia
13. The Church of the Subgenius

Also a lot of people on the internet - Sunny, Sam7, Froth, Vader and some folks from other sites

Everywhere I look there is a new teacher.

denaturat
08-07-2006, 03:18 AM
Dostoevsky "Crime and Punishment," "Devils"
Plato "Republic," "Trial and Death of Socrates"
Nietzsche "Beyond Good and Evil"
Takuan Soho "The Unfettered Mind"
Said "Orientalism"
Weber "Protestantism Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism" (no, it is not a capitalist manifesto)

Edgar Erebus
08-07-2006, 07:19 AM
F. William Endaghl: "The Century of War" - by far the most profund effect on me up till now.

Other important books:
Karl Marx: "The Capital"
Franz Kafka: "The Process"
Marc Hillel: "In the Name of the Race" (I learnt what i need to fight against)
Holy Bible

supremecharma
08-07-2006, 07:38 AM
The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit.

supremecharma
08-07-2006, 07:42 AM
Also a lot of people on the internet - Sunny

just out of interest are you talking about sunny winters?

JASPER
08-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Charles Bronson. He had a tough life, growing up piss poor and losing his dad when he was 10. But Bronson didn't go sit on a porch and drink 40's all day and collect welfare checks, fuck no. He worked in coal mines for almost no money, he was drafted into the millitary and served in WWII. After the war he decided to become an actor. Bronson made something of his life, no matter how little chance he had at succeeding. I've been very poor too, I didn't have it as bad as Bronson though, but I had no future the way I was living. Bronson, he inspired me to not be passive about my situation, but work hard go get where I am now.

supremecharma
08-07-2006, 08:43 AM
good for you man^^^.,.....never knew that about bronson.....

Strange Fruit
08-07-2006, 09:24 AM
First and Foremost - His Holiness the Dalai Lama and his teachings have changed my life incredibly.

Swami Agnivesh, from New Delhi,,, highly respected leader and author in the Vedec communtiy.

music is also a great inspiration to me,,, there is a song for every moment in your life that you need to share.

book? no specifics really, every book i've read has changed the way i see something. {check 7 Habits of Highly Effective People}

Frontal Lobotomy
08-07-2006, 09:56 AM
There are onl a few people whose work I look to as a means of inspiration, such as:
Che Guevara, for his love of the people and knowledge of geurilla warfare. And Michael Collins, for giving his life to try and make Ireland free of English rule. Various other revolutionaries like Martin Luther King, and Mahatma Gandhi taught me the the effectiveness of passive protest, so that we don't always look to war.
Books that've left a lingering impression on me have been the likes of the Hagakure, for offering a perspective of self discipline, loyalty and existence. The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists (Robert Tressel), for illustrating class distinction, and how capitalism operates in the workplace. The last being 'Round Ireland With A Frigde (Tony Hawk), to show how every journey isn't always symbolic, but can be an amusing and enlightening experience.
Musically, artists like Jimi Hendrix, Richard D. James (Aphex Twin) Glenn Danzig and Joey Ramone have always left a big impression on me through their music, while the likes of Joe Strummer, Nas and Jim Lindberg (Pennywise) made an impact through their message. The GZA's vocabluary is a constant source of inspiration also.
I hold the firm belief that one day, people will look to me as a means of inspiration, as destiny points me in that direction (or my ego, take your pick)

Dirty Knowledge
08-09-2006, 11:02 AM
The Geography of Thought: How Asians and Westerners Think Differently and Why by Richard Nesbet.

Mumm Ra
08-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Also a lot of people on the internet - Sam7

Metu Neter vol. 1 & 2 would be at the top of my list.

Prince Rai
08-09-2006, 11:24 AM
The Geography of Thought: How Asians and Westerners Think Differently and Why by Richard Nesbet.

what was the main conclusion of that book/article/speech?

peace

Aqueous Moon
08-09-2006, 11:50 AM
"Piercing the fog; Enlighten luminaries" by Yaffa

This book touches on everything I'm passionate about. Especially the origins of America's government system and constitution. It's just a jewel of a book.

aismani
08-27-2006, 09:14 PM
"prometheus rising" robert a. wilson -"the sufis" idries shah - "eros kosmos logos" ken wilber- "the prophet"khalil ghibram

Prince Shafala
09-25-2006, 09:55 AM
The Holy Quran, From Niggas To Gods, Perfect Questions Perfect Answers, I Am the Last Messenger of Allah..so many more

P.E.A.C.E.

snapple
09-25-2006, 10:06 AM
when i was younger i loved martial arts films...i was obsessed...and bruce lee was my icon hwne i was young....and i found out a lot of his teachings are influenced by krishnamurti....so i picked up a book by krishnamurti i doubt i have it anymore I think it was titled "think of these things" or someshit, might have been an incorrect translation.. but that was the first thing that made me start thinking maturly and i started to see the light then, i was 14 then...since then it's just been the snowball effect[/puffy voice] can't stop..won't stop..[\]

Prince Shafala
09-25-2006, 10:24 AM
ive also listened and read mostly everything the god rakeem has spoke.rhymed.wrote...he is one of the biggest inspirations when it comes to musical artists....the brother is a genius

IrOnMaN
09-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony inspired me to become great in whatever I do. :)

J.T.S.
09-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Inspiration for me is meditation, trees(medication), education(books, math, lessons) and power-u sessions.

Skellington
09-25-2006, 04:27 PM
-My Kung-Fu and Chi-Kung training
-Ché
-Marquis De Sade
-Edgar Allen Poe
-Hattori Hanzo

Urban_Journalz
09-26-2006, 10:28 PM
The Holy Qur'an
The I-Ching
The Tao Te Ching
The Art Of War
The Art Of Peace
Jonothan Livingston Seagull
Moby Dick
The Merlin Trilogy
Dune

Ultimate Fist
09-27-2006, 11:52 PM
LOL LHX my list is your list backwards. I read The Stranger last week and Discordia 4 years ago.