PDA

View Full Version : Why are palms white?

Big Risk
08-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Even on blacks, why are they white?

Kephrem
08-08-2006, 02:12 AM
No one has literally white palms, or black skin.

The Wizzard
08-08-2006, 02:14 AM
^real knowldge, word.

Kephrem
08-08-2006, 06:24 AM
thats not true, iv seen pitch black lookin mutha fuckas, and white people that look like fresh fallen snow.

Is the evidence your perception of those persons you saw, or, actual facts?

Frank Drebin
08-08-2006, 06:50 AM
the actual fact is that the color black is the color black and the color white is the color white. it is what it is, there are some people as black as can be as there are some people as white as they can be. granted most fit inbetween somewhere.

aint arguing with u didnt really read whut u wrote but black and white technically arent colours. Like you got colour photos and you have black and white

JASPER
08-08-2006, 07:57 AM
aint arguing with u didnt really read whut u wrote but black and white technically arent colours. Like you got colour photos and you have black and whiteBlack is no colour, white is all colours.

But yeah, I've wondered the same thing... some blacks have white palms... what is up with that?

Kephrem
08-08-2006, 08:09 AM
the actual fact is that the color black is the color black and the color white is the color white.

Right, this is actual fact.

it is what it is,

What's that, you mean skin color labels?

there are some people as black as can be as there are some people as white as they can be.

You've simply repeated your previous assertion, which is based upon your own perception.

granted most fit inbetween somewhere.

Actually "most fit" closer to brown then to "white".

JASPER
08-08-2006, 08:46 AM
im trying to post something goddamnit

Frontal Lobotomy
08-08-2006, 09:13 AM
I always thought it was due to sun exposure - the palms of your hand don't get much sun like. That and, like with the soles of your feet (which are also white, regarldess of your ethnicity, unless i'm mistaken) they build up a hardened layer of skin for added protection and so forth.

Prolifical ENG
08-08-2006, 10:24 AM
You guys are going off in another direction of whats white and whats black. It might not have been worded properly, but he means no one has dark palms and soles.

I dont know the answer, but even when I get the darkest tans my hands and bottom of my feet wont.

The way the skin is made up on these parts is different...hence why we have finger and foot prrints in distinct patterns....still dont know why there is no pigment.

Aqueous Moon
08-08-2006, 10:25 AM
Even on blacks, why are they white?

hmm....maybe it cause of the prints. The prints help us to be able to feel different textures and grip things.

and maybe the palms are pale so that we can more easily see what is on them like dirt or whatever.

JASPER
08-08-2006, 10:42 AM
The palms of the hands and soles of the feet of white and black people are lighter because there are five layers of epidermis on the palms and soles but only four layers of epidermis everywhere else.
Most skin is 4 layers composed of 4 cell types - a 5th layer is found in areas of high friction

Stratum Corneum: uppermost layer of dead, keratinized cells - continually sloughing off (dander) - many surface glycolipids for waterproofing
Stratum Granulosum: granular in appearance due to keratin producing granules and glycolipid producing granules - cell membranes are thickening here - all is in response to decreased blood supply due to distance from capillaries
Stratum Spinosum: 2 cell types here: young keratinocytes and Langerhan's cells - also find cellular projections of melanocytes - Langerhan's are 1st line of immune system and function as macrophages
Stratum Basale: rapidly dividing keratinocytes under the influence of epidermal growth factor - can rapidly divide due to close junction with vascular dermis Melanocytes: branch to touch all keratinocytes - produce vesicles of melanin that are excised from cells and engulfed by keratinocytes - keratinocytes accumulate melanin as an inclusion on the upper side of the cell - protects nucleus from UV damage - different rates of degredation of melanin lead to differing degrees of "darkness" - different types of melanocytes make variant types of color.
Merkel Cells: associated with nerve endings to sense touch

Stratum Lucidum: specialized layer just below stratum corneum in palms of hand and soles of feet - extremely strong layer because of keratin- fibril complex Only the Stratum Basale has pigment containing cells, all the other layers are colorless but contribute the color of protein, which is an orangy tan color. This additional layer of epidermis called the stratum lucidum which lies just below the stratum corneum provides additional screening of solar irradiation. This, plus the fact that you normally hold your hands and feet with the palms and soles facing down greatly prevents sunlight from darkening these sites. Look at anyone with a sun tan and you will notice that their palms and soles are also much lighter than the skin of the dorsal surfaces.

Here are two web pages with additional information about skin. http://www.terrebo nnehigh.com/science/biol2n5.htm (http://www.terrebonnehigh.com/science/biol2n5.htm) http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/feralbear/AandPpage/AandPNotes/AandPNo tes5.html (http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/feralbear/AandPpage/AandPNotes/AandPNotes5.htm)

There we go

Prolifical ENG
08-08-2006, 10:49 AM
^^^^ good looking jasper :thumbup:

Skellington
08-08-2006, 01:33 PM
In Chi Kung we've learned that palms work like gates to release energy....

Kephrem
08-09-2006, 01:32 AM
what exactly is it that your tryna put forth? kinda loosing me here?

I'm putting forth what I originally suggested, that is black and white are simply labels which do not reflect the actual literal skin colors.

Dirty Knowledge
08-09-2006, 09:45 AM
I think blood circulates differently and the skin on the palm is different, somehow making them all white/tanish.

JASPER
08-09-2006, 10:08 AM
I gave you the answer that I found in 1.4 seconds using google. It's crystal clear to me. We can close this topic now.