PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Help..

J-Cee
08-09-2006, 02:11 AM
k so i gotta xbox 360 and it says u can play movies n use pics etc on it by plugging ya cord from ya xbox to ya computer.So ive plugged the cord from my xbox to my modem trying to do this shit..then i downloaded that program it gave u the website for on ya xbox but i still cant play movies and put pics on it etc...

Bloo
08-09-2006, 04:50 AM
Ok, I can help alot with this one.

The reason they say you can do that is due to a program installed on the Xbox360 known as the Media Center Extender. You can also buy just a Media Center Extender but Microsoft in an effort to make it popular built it into all 360s. It's pretty nifty but it does require a bit more than just plugging an ethernet cable from your PC to your 360 :)

First thing: Computer needs to have a version of windows on it referred to as Windows XP Media Center Edition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Media_Center_Edition). Read the Wiki I linked here if ya want but basically just know that you usually can't buy this version of windows at a store. Only options here are to try to find an online seller or buy a computer with it pre-installed (like I did) as this version of Windows is real picky about hardware requirements (which is why Micro$oft didn't release it to the general public)

Second thing: You need a router as the PC and 360 must communicate information between each other. Through the router you need to have you internet connection (High Speed only) that way the 360 and PC both have access whenever needed.

That's just a general breakdown of the two major components you need in order to make it work. with the first one being the most important. It can be a pain in the ass to set up if you've never done it before but it's pretty useful if you're a media whore. As for me I use it to mainly record TV shows that I'm not able to watch due to being in bed or at work (TV Tuner Card reqired for that function) But it's kick ass cause you can use it to view pics, listen to music, watch videos, record TV, rent movies and watch on your TV from your computer on your Xbox. But, if it's more money and/or time than what you're willing to put into it your Best bet it to probably just buy a Tivo

J-Cee
08-09-2006, 07:03 AM
thanks..but yeh thats sounds like a fukin effort and a half..can u put movies off your computer to store on the xbox anytime..or just watch them while the cable is plugged into your computer?

Bloo
08-09-2006, 07:14 AM
It's strictly data streaming. Basically the Xbox just acts as a hub to watch videos though. But everything is still stored on your computer.