PDA

View Full Version : more info on UK terror threats


supremecharma
08-16-2006, 04:15 AM
Walked onto plane
It has emerged that a 12-year-old boy managed to board a flight without any passport or documentation on Monday, despite the high state of alert across airports following the alert, which began on Thursday. The boy, who had run away from a care home in Birkenhead, Merseyside, walked onto the plane, bound for Lisbon, at Gatwick Airport. Crew raised an alert and he was escorted off by the police.


Twenty-three of the 24 people in custody were arrested in raids last week. The 24th was arrested on Tuesday.
Scotland Yard was granted an extension to question the 23 on Friday, but this runs out on Wednesday.
At private hearings via video link, lawyers for the police will produce further evidence and argue for an extra seven days' custody for those they want to continue investigating.
Under the 2006 Terrorism Act the maximum period someone suspected of terrorist activity can be held for is 28 days.
In Pakistan, it is believed up to 17 people are being held over the alleged plot, but the government in Pakistan has confirmed neither the number in detention nor their nationalities.
The only man who has so far been named by Pakistani authorities is British national Rashid Rauf.
The Pakistani Foreign Ministry has said it has not received a request from Britain for the extradition of Mr Rauf.
But it said any request would be looked upon seriously and the fact no formal extradition treaty existed between the two countries did not mean he could not be extradited.
Home Secretary John Reid is to brief EU ministers about the "emerging threat and current operation".
They will agree to accelerate EU counter-terrorism action where necessary, according to the Home Office.

No liquids

Conservative Party leader David Cameron has criticised the way the government is dealing with the threat of Islamic extremism.
He criticised a funding freeze planned for the Home Office, and said intercept evidence should be allowed in courts.
Around 5,000 bags checked in by British Airways passengers have gone missing at airports since the UK security alert began and are still waiting to be delivered back to their owners, the airline says. A war of words has erupted between BA and airport operator BAA over who is to blame for the misplaced luggage


All UK airports have now relaxed the restrictions on hand luggage introduced following Thursday's terror alert. Passengers are now allowed to carry on a small bag, but they are still not allowed to take in any liquids apart from baby milk, baby food and prescription medicines.


'90% schedule'

Passengers are warned this does not constitute a "return to normal" and they should still expect delays.
BA says it is planning to operate 90% of its schedule on Wednesday - but will cancel 46 flights, five more than on Tuesday.
It plans to cancel 11 domestic flights from Gatwick and 32 short-haul departures out of Heathrow from a typical daily schedule of about 280 departing flights. The official terror threat to the UK was downgraded on Monday from "critical" to "severe", meaning an attack is now considered highly likely but not imminent.

arto
08-16-2006, 08:37 AM
i hate this shit. it's scaremongering, totally. and the whole thing aboutthe 12 year old boy, it's just a non-story.

Kong
08-16-2006, 11:53 AM
what is it trying to say with the 12 year old bit at the top?

Visionz
08-16-2006, 12:04 PM
I think sublimanly they're trying to tell you that you should be suspicious of 12 year-olds as well.