08-16-2006, 09:40 PM
lmao

i read this book everyday on a serious note

eVoL
08-16-2006, 09:50 PM
"i dont need to read the Art of War to slay men"

ElusiveFugitive
08-16-2006, 10:05 PM
I have been reading this book for over 10 years now, its timeless... If any of you are looking to buy a copy, I suggest Thomas Cleary's translation of Zhuge Liangs & Lin Ji's commentary of Sun Tzu by Shambala Dragon Editions.What I liked about it is that in each section Sun Tzu's quotes on the various aspects of strategy are commented on by different notable strategists through China's history. Kind of like dropping a pebble in a clear pool, each thought reflects a different perspective of the same picture...peace

Urban_Journalz
06-15-2010, 10:15 AM
To me, one of the most important lessons in this book, is that of, "formlessness." They say that is the ultimate form. Most people read this book in order to get a leg up on others, but they always forget this very important rule. Never let the enemy see you coming. Like the Tao Te Ching says, "He who is skilled in running leaves no footprints."

11th Chamber
06-15-2010, 12:21 PM
I read this book around last summer while in training. Good shit

TSA
06-15-2010, 01:12 PM
the teachings from the book have actually made me a way better chess player.

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-15-2010, 01:27 PM
^^^that's one of the few places where the book is still applicable and relevant in a direct way and not in a metaphorical, non literal way imo

Olive Oil Goombah
06-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Jesus......

beautifulrock
06-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Read it about 5 years ago.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
06-15-2010, 07:16 PM
I feel the Book of Five Rings is overlooked.

New-Yorks-Finest
06-15-2010, 08:47 PM

miyamoto musashi = awesome

im also reading musashi by eiji yoshikawa which is bout musashi as well

both awesome books

i also lol'd at some kid in my school saying that books are for old people

TheBoarzHeadBoy
06-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah, as if reading books written by the most ruthless warrior poet in Japanese history is not gangster enough.

I mean even Sun Tzu killed bitches just to illustrate his points. That's some original gangster Scarface beef.

New-Yorks-Finest
06-15-2010, 08:58 PM
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kx6xpoE90b1qzmowao1_500.jpg

Urban_Journalz
06-16-2010, 10:03 AM

Severely overlooked. That's an underground classic to be sure.

Urban_Journalz
06-16-2010, 10:05 AM
^^^that's one of the few places where the book is still applicable and relevant in a direct way and not in a metaphorical, non literal way imo

I'm confused. You mean to say that, "The Art of War", isn't applicable to every situation? Life in general? Do remember that chess is called, "The game of life." So if the book is applicable to the game, it HAS to be applicable to everything else. Yes?

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-16-2010, 10:14 AM
^^^that's if you believe chess is 'the game of life', which i don't. Chess is nothing like life; chess has rules and structure, a code and innate 'fairness'...life does not have rules and structure that have to be followed in order to 'play the game' and does not have innate fairness. Life is life, it's not a game, it's a realm of its own, with its own strategies and challenges.

Like i said, you can make the book applicable to other situations in a metaphorical, non-literal way, but 'a skillful attacker moves above the ninefold heaven' isn't really directly relevant to life unless you look at it figuratively.

Urban_Journalz
06-16-2010, 10:33 AM
^^^that's if you believe chess is 'the game of life', which i don't. Chess is nothing like life; chess has rules and structure, a code and innate 'fairness'...life does not have rules and structure that have to be followed in order to 'play the game' and does not have innate fairness. Life is life, it's not a game, it's a realm of its own, with its own strategies and challenges.

Like i said, you can make the book applicable to other situations in a metaphorical, non-literal way, but 'a skillful attacker moves above the ninefold heaven' isn't really directly relevant to life unless you look at it figuratively.

That depends on if you know what the author meant by, "The Ninefold Heaven". Using the cycle of seasons to your advantage is very effective in any kind of warfare. Attacking someone in a rainstorm, for example, is ideal because most people act like The Wicked Witch of The West around rain. Figuratively or not, there is a point that is applicable to the lesson.

Anyway, this isn't saying that life is a game, but it is definitely war. In every sense. Most of the tactics that are used are indirect. Yin tactics. Chess isn't about fairness at all. You know very well that some pieces are sacrificed in order to throw off the opponent or make way for another attack.

The way I see it, life indeed does have rules and structure. You can see this in the cycles of seasons and the orbits of the planets. The migration of the birds and the hibernation of bears. The fact that most people choose not to follow them most of the time, or choose to ignore them is irrelevant, as these rules' existence isn't dependant upon wether someone does or does not believe in them. The old, "What goes around comes around." is one of many of these immutable rules.

Chess is a game and life is life. However, art imitates life. Without life, art would not exist. Note the similarities between the two.

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-16-2010, 10:45 AM
^^^But you have to take a non literal interpretation of the text to reach these conclusions. That is all I'm saying, that you have to take a figurative perspective in order to make the text work for situations it was not intended for. I doubt sun tzu intended for this book to be used as a guide to the corporate world, for example, but there are annotated versions of 'The Art of War' designed for that purpose.

And by fairness, I mean that the rules and the mobility of the pieces remains consistent; you can't suddenly start moving a knight diagonally while rooks are rendered immobile midgame due to a congressional order after some planes crashed.

And I didn't say the life lacked rules and structure, I said that, unlike chess, you can ignore them and still continue to play the game.

Urban_Journalz
06-16-2010, 10:57 AM
^^^But you have to take a non literal interpretation of the text to reach these conclusions. That is all I'm saying, that you have to take a figurative perspective in order to make the text work for situations it was not intended for. I doubt sun tzu intended for this book to be used as a guide to the corporate world, for example, but there are annotated versions of 'The Art of War' designed for that purpose.

And by fairness, I mean that the rules and the mobility of the pieces remains consistent; you can't suddenly start moving a knight diagonally while rooks are rendered immobile midgame due to a congressional order after some planes crashed.

And I didn't say the life lacked rules and structure, I said that, unlike chess, you can ignore them and still continue to play the game.

True about the chess pieces. Didn't catch that one originally. I understand where you're coming from now though.

Peace

TheBoarzHeadBoy
06-16-2010, 02:32 PM

Sun Tzu wrote it about war. War is about winning (not losing actually). Life is about winning (again, not losing). Thus Sun Tzu wrote a book about succeeding in any task.

The book is about defeating people mentally. The writing is vague enough that you can apply it to things. The whole point of it is that you decide your battles before you fight them. Then it's just explaining how to tip every odd in your favor.

Olive Oil Goombah
06-17-2010, 10:05 PM
its applicable.

because the title has war in it and it is written using war as an example it will scare and offend some.

Mindsword
06-19-2010, 10:42 AM
the book of five rings was cool

art of war was epic

Urban_Journalz
06-19-2010, 11:26 AM
the book of five rings was cool

art of war was epic

What do you think about Hagakure??