PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cosby Adresses Absent Fathers, Criticizes Hip-Hop

supremecharma
08-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Actor/comedian Bill Cosby went on the offensive against rap music Tuesday (Aug. 22) while encouraging fathers to raise their children.

The 69-year-old author and Grammy-winner, who spent the last five minutes of his speech voicing his displeasure of the content of rap, spoke in front of a standing room only audience at the Heritage United Church of Christ in Northwest Baltimore, the Baltimore Sun reports.

"They put the word 'nigga' in a song, and we get up and dance to it," Cosby said.

The two-hour Coppin State University-hosted event dubbed "Fatherhood Works," was the last stop on the entertainer's day-long visit to the city.

In addition to hip-hop, Cosby expressed his views on teenage pregnancy, re-emphasized the importance of a good education and urged fathers to take a more active role in raising their kids, as he visited three West Baltimore elementary schools and the church.

"This is a great evening because we're calling on men to come claim their children," said Cosby, who spoke for 20 minutes before joining a panel to field questions. "And that's part of being a man. You cannot be a man at all if you haven't claimed your child. Some of you have three, four, five of them. You have more children than you have jobs."

The church event also provided an opportunity for Cosby to reject the idea that life was better for black people when the races were segregated.

He also applauded Black Muslims for confronting drug dealers on street corner.

The entertainer's visit isn't the first time he has spoken in Baltimore.

Cosby has come to the city at least three other times in the past two years, according to the Sun.

He will return in October to attend a fundraiser at Morgan, said Coppin President Stanley F. Battle.

Despite the warm reception he received in Baltimore, Cosby has come under fire in recent years.

While appearing at a gala in May 2004 Cosby came under fire for criticizing low-income blacks who give their children expensive sneakers instead of books.

"They think they're hip," Cosby said. "They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

Although some accused Cosby of insensitivity and elitism, the comedian stood his ground and hit the road to promote family values and education.

props to allhiphop.com

i know how much y'all love bill so i thought i would post this so we could discuss.

mate2006
08-24-2006, 03:31 AM
While appearing at a gala in May 2004 Cosby came under fire for criticizing low-income blacks who give their children expensive sneakers instead of books.

I've always noticed this as a trend among poor people, not just blacks. you see them coming out of their shitty flat, blatantly on the dole, yet still have Nike TN's at 110 on their feet. Very sad indeed. But it ain't to do with being poor its to do with being stupid.

JASPER
08-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Bill Cosby may be a senile old fool, but he's got a point here. I got to agree, if you don't claim your children, you're not a real man.

M.I.C Diesel
08-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Some people can't even raise themselves, let alone their children.
Bill got some points, but so have a million other people that stress the same thing.
Fathers have gotta start being fathers, & not just being their fathers son.

PEACE

LHX
08-24-2006, 09:07 AM
its too late for a good father revolution

maybe if we had this discussion in the late 1800's then we might've stood a chance

but a crusade to improve fatherhood at this point would be like trying to stop a speeding train coming straight at you by throwing eggs at it

at this point, i say have more kids
a whole fleet
so many kids than you can even remember their names

either that or be willing to be responsible for all children

or both

IrOnMaN
08-24-2006, 04:20 PM
I strongly agree with Bill Cosby on this, seriously.

Decipha Born
08-25-2006, 08:50 AM
cosby iight.......he has credibility cause he made yall laugh.......

not trynna judge mister pudding pops but.........

he doesnt have THE answer to the problems he has a comliant that niggaz on the street already had before he was on that stage talking about it, he cant teach in the street where the problem is..........................babies dont know cosby........they know....raven symone tho........

peace

tajeco
08-27-2006, 12:54 PM
good for Bill

TeknicelStylez
08-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Man fuck Bill Cosby, let me tell you what Bill Cosby is... Bill Cosby is the dude standing at the top of a hole with greesed sides and spikes on the bottom with a glass of wine in his hand eating a drum stick screaming out "DON'T CLIMB THAT WAY. NO PUT ONE FOOT ON TOP OF THE OTHER, CMON YO ITS EASY LOOK AT ME IM UP HERE!!!!!!"

IrOnMaN
08-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Man fuck Bill Cosby, let me tell you what Bill Cosby is... Bill Cosby is the dude standing at the top of a hole with greesed sides and spikes on the bottom with a glass of wine in his hand eating a drum stick screaming out "DON'T CLIMB THAT WAY. NO PUT ONE FOOT ON TOP OF THE OTHER, CMON YO ITS EASY LOOK AT ME IM UP HERE!!!!!!"

I don't understand.

TeknicelStylez
08-27-2006, 03:14 PM
You win some, you lose some

tonygusto
08-27-2006, 07:59 PM
in 1997 bill cosby's 17 yr old son was murdered. at least now he has the balls to speak whats on his mind.

TeknicelStylez
08-27-2006, 09:50 PM
bill cosby can go suck on a fudge sickle, the man is evil I tell you...

he probably arranged his sons death

snapple
08-27-2006, 09:52 PM
I've always noticed this as a trend among poor people, not just blacks. you see them coming out of their shitty flat, blatantly on the dole, yet still have Nike TN's at 110 on their feet. Very sad indeed. But it ain't to do with being poor its to do with being stupid.

well the thing you fail to recognize, is that when you live in poverty in a metropolis you're on your foot all fucking day and you do a lot of traveling, so you are gonna want shoes that are nice and comfortable and will last, and not to mention how judgemental everyone is in the city and everyone is always izing eachother up, everybody wants fly shoes man come on what are you saying.

MsRzaRecTaH
08-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Well I agree with Bill Cosby,
only because I got kids and their father dont give a shit about them.

TeknicelStylez
08-27-2006, 10:09 PM
I agree with him but people should judge people from a pedastool, if cosby was down in the shit with us he wouldn't be gabbing off like that telling everyone what they should do with their life

Visionz
08-27-2006, 10:42 PM
Shit is fucked up on soo many different levels. Ain't no one thing the answer but I agree with him on a certain level. If you was adult enough to bring another life into this world then you gotta be man enough to take care of ya kid. But he's also talking about spending time w/ them. In this day and age, I know some people gotta work two jobs just to make it. And no fuckin time To spend w/ ya kids when you working 80 hr weeks. On the real he ain't addressing the actual root of the problem he's so upset about.

whitey
08-27-2006, 11:15 PM
well the thing you fail to recognize, is that when you live in poverty in a metropolis you're on your foot all fucking day and you do a lot of traveling, so you are gonna want shoes that are nice and comfortable and will last, and not to mention how judgemental everyone is in the city and everyone is always izing eachother up, everybody wants fly shoes man come on what are you saying.

thats gotta be a joke eh

tajeco
08-28-2006, 02:56 AM

that's a good one, clever

KBA7
08-28-2006, 08:23 AM
Well I agree with Bill Cosby,
only because I got kids and their father dont give a shit about them.

I care about the babies Earth. Children really r our future.

Bill is a hypocrite tho because he didnt try 2 make his seed born out-of-wedlock a part of his fam. Plus he drugged some lady and fondled her.

Ultimate Fist
08-29-2006, 12:07 AM
Guess who's back?

Anyway, both Cosby's points and his own faults show why we've got to learn to live a civilized life. He says father's have to be there and parents have to care for there children. That's true, I mean that's common sense. I'd say having good parents is more important than a good school or even a good neighborhood. The school I went to sucked ass until I went to a nice district for high school but I know a lot more than most people because I went to the library with my mom. She stayed home; it was hard for years and we were probably some of the poorest folk in my neighborhood because of it but I'm smarter than most of the people I grew up with. I've got dreams and plans that they don't. Most of them been in trouble with 5-0; I ain't even smoked or drank or nothing.

Eric Unseen says a lot of folk have to work two jobs. That's true but realize that's why black folk, the poor, etc. got to unite. We need to pool our resources education and qualifications and start businesses, start buying resources, things like that. Its like Elijah Muhammad taught, "if eight of you are grocerers, open a grocery store." Eric, you added we've got to address the root problem. Exactly. The root problem is having babies when we're not ready. Understand this, the white man put the black man into dispora through slavery. But now the black man is putting the black man in dispora by fucking around. Sure, you can trace it to the white man-his corporations, his so-called hip-hop of sex and violence- but ultimately its your genitals your sticking around, not his. You've gotta see a baby as an 18+ year investment and do the math. You need to make sure you're baby's gonna be a prince or princess and you can't do that if he/she dont have a house or a father. How they gonna learn how to live a respectable life. They ain't teaching that at school.

As to Cosby's faults, KBA7 points out he had two babies out of wedlock and didnt try to raise them. I think he's regretting that and that's why he's saying what he is. There is a lesson there. Wealth does not change the fact we need to be civilized. Cosby could be as rich as he wants but he cant change what he did to thsoe 2 kids. We've got to learn to be civilized at the bottom so we can be civilized at the top.

Peace.

SubtleEnergies
08-30-2006, 12:11 AM
I agree with a comment about poor people buying unnecessary shit.

I have done it for years and after contemplating it I came to my own self analysis:

I do it coz all my life I grew up with a huge subconcious idea of SCARCITY!
When even food is rare growing up you develop a feast and famine type of mentality. So the second you get your pay you blow it all! Or those sneakers must be soooooooooo scarce if food was so you have to have them NOW.

Also besides that there is also the surface thing where when you get that stuff...for a bit you can not look/feel so poor.

I mean man, my mum used to take our light bulbs off us to save money. How you expect us to have a good idea of how scarce things are!

CharlesJones
08-30-2006, 06:51 PM
I agree with everything Bill Cosby said. Ignorant blacks need to stop being ignorant and realize that education and reading is the key to knowledge and taking care of yourself. Without education, how can you provide for yourself? Ignorant blacks would rather spend money on expensive sneakers and expensive clothes to try to impress their friends rather than buy some books like Bill said. That's exactly why most white people have nice houses, good jobs and nice cars because they read and they take education seriously. Too many blacks don't take education seriously enough and that's why so many of us are living in the ghetto and unemployed because being ignorant is more important to us than taking care of business. I got a lazy ass uncle right now who's been unemployed for 4 years and he has 2 kids. He's been behind in his mortgage for years and he's about to get evicted. I feel sorry for his kids because they're 11 and 8 years old. They didn't ask to come into the world. It's his responsibility to provide for them but he's not. He'd rather get drunk and diss people who are doing positive things than get up off his lazy ass and get a job and provide for his kids. He dropped outta high school and he won't go back to school to get his GED. He's getting food stamps now. I know he's content with that and he thinks somebody is supposed to feel sorry for him. This is exactly the type of black people that Bill is talking about.

Gawd
08-30-2006, 07:46 PM
I laugh at the Mexicans who have shitty cars but a fancy exhaust and $30 spinner hubcaps...mean while their children are in the back seats with no seat belts or even car seats...talk about priorities

MsRzaRecTaH
08-30-2006, 08:00 PM
I care about the babies Earth. Children really r our future.

Bill is a hypocrite tho because he didnt try 2 make his seed born out-of-wedlock a part of his fam. Plus he drugged some lady and fondled her.

Ahh see I didnt know that much!
Yo thanks for that info.. I take my word back.. but in all honesty I pay both roles in my childrens life and it is hard..

Prolifical ENG
08-30-2006, 08:09 PM
I remember reading that a while ago...it always reminds me of that imitation episode of The Cosby Show on The Simpsons....

"See these kids today....they listen to to much of the rap...its effectin their brains with the hippin and the hoppin and the bippin and the boppin....what they need to know is a think or 2 about jazz"

snapple
08-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Yo thanks for that info.. I take my word back.. but in all honesty I pay both roles in my childrens life and it is hard..

yea you gotta, i hold that against my father to this day for not being there for me. But i benefited in certain ways from my mom, i view my father as a weak individiaul and i don't think his actions reflect him from being what i think is an ideal man, hes a bitch. i was raised by my mom most of my life and she was a wise woman and treated me to be a really respectful person and taught me to have a lot of self pride. it was weird learning about girls through my mom and shit though you know...some shit you just wish you had a father to be there for...but my mother is the strongest person ive ever known and id sacrafice everything for her

MsRzaRecTaH
08-30-2006, 08:35 PM
yea you gotta, i hold that against my father to this day for not being there for me. But i benefited in certain ways from my mom, i view my father as a weak individiaul and i don't think his actions reflect him from being what i think is an ideal man, hes a bitch. i was raised by my mom most of my life and she was a wise woman and treated me to be a really respectful person and taught me to have a lot of self pride. it was weird learning about girls through my mom and shit though you know...some shit you just wish you had a father to be there for...but my mother is the strongest person ive ever known and id sacrafice everything for her

yeah my kids.. I dont know they dont even ask for their father at all... but Im strong or try to be

Jesus Christ
08-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Ok there was something siad here, but upon reflection I felt it was a little over the top so now i'm putting this message here.

snapple
08-30-2006, 09:14 PM
yeah my kids.. I dont know they dont even ask for their father at all... but Im strong or try to be

then im sure you're doing fine ma, just hold on and be strong they're like clay and you're the one who molds them you know?

Jesus Christ
08-30-2006, 09:16 PM
then im sure you're doing fine ma, just hold on and be strong they're like clay and you're the one who molds them you know?

Your sick snapple. You shouldn't be left around children if you think like that. Keep your hands to yourself.

snapple
08-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Your sick snapple. You shouldn't be left around children if you think like that. Keep your hands to yourself.

yea, im a pedo because i understand that children are really impressional. thats why you're slippy the pimp how was ma and pas relationship while lil slippy was a seed

Jesus Christ
08-30-2006, 10:11 PM
yea, im a pedo because i understand that children are really impressional. thats why you're slippy the pimp how was ma and pas relationship while lil slippy was a seed

Actually, I was just making a joke to try and cheer up Miss Reesa, who probably didn't even read this, but since we're on the subject..............

I was neglected as child, my mother joined the army to support us, while my father drank all the time. I watched him bring him home other women and try and convince me to call them mom. Then my father spent most of his time in and out of jail, so I was always left with my grandma and grandpa that would scold me for crying for my father. I didn't have anyone to give me bath, or to dress me, my grandparents wouldn't do it, so I often bathed myself with the garden hose or the outside sprinkler. These are my earliest memories.

snapple
08-30-2006, 10:23 PM
^^sad yet, somehow i saw it funny, coincidence? isn't liberty cd new york though? you musta been real stinky in the winter when they shut off the hoses

Jesus Christ
08-30-2006, 10:49 PM
I knew a sicko like you would find entertainment in hearing about children suffering.

snapple
08-30-2006, 10:51 PM
im just playing ive never seen you serious before so im anticiapting youre trying to flip it and i wont letcha, keep my knucks up haha, last time i thought that disstrack was for real and tried to son him and looked like a fool haha

Jesus Christ
08-30-2006, 10:58 PM
im just playing ive never seen you serious before so im anticiapting youre trying to flip it and i wont letcha, keep my knucks up haha, last time i thought that disstrack was for real and tried to son him and looked like a fool haha

Ok, thanks for playing.

snapple
08-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Ok, thanks for playing.

if youre being for real then im sorry mang you had to deal with all that shit, its real hard on families...poverty destroys families in america

Jesus Christ
08-31-2006, 12:24 PM
if youre being for real then im sorry mang you had to deal with all that shit, its real hard on families...poverty destroys families in america

You're an emotional bitch.

Just kidding.

Your a sensitive faggot.

Nah i'm just playing.

PEACE!

IrOnMaN
08-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Actually, I was just making a joke to try and cheer up Miss Reesa, who probably didn't even read this, but since we're on the subject..............

I was neglected as child, my mother joined the army to support us, while my father drank all the time. I watched him bring him home other women and try and convince me to call them mom. Then my father spent most of his time in and out of jail, so I was always left with my grandma and grandpa that would scold me for crying for my father. I didn't have anyone to give me bath, or to dress me, my grandparents wouldn't do it, so I often bathed myself with the garden hose or the outside sprinkler. These are my earliest memories.

Sad life. I hope everything worked out for you.

7EL7
09-04-2006, 11:24 AM
gotta make shure the nigga you letting bust nuts all up in you cares about you first

why is this man giving speeches anyway

make another comedy sitcom promoting nice sweaters with spaded and neutered black men

tuck your shirts in your tight slacks

have yall ever noticed how in dam near every cartoon,family show,sitcom the boy/young man of the family is dumb or close to retarded and the sister or sisters do very well in school ?

Bart simpson
Theo huxtible (however you spell that dam name)
Chris Griffen

Punch
09-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Theo was nowhere near being retarded.
The Huxtables don't do retarded offspring.
They just don't.

7EL7
09-04-2006, 02:27 PM
Theo was nowhere near being retarded.
The Huxtables don't do retarded offspring.
They just don't.

yall some non understanding non reading movafucas

have yall ever noticed how in dam near every cartoon,family show,sitcom the boy/young man of the family is dumb or close to retarded and the sister or sisters do very well in school ?

Theo was known as a D student

Punch
09-04-2006, 02:51 PM
yall some non understanding non reading movafucas

Theo was known as a D student

Yeah I read it right, and I still say you're wrong.
He was a D student maybe if you only watched the first season. Besides what does it matter what his grades are, he doesn't belong in the group you mentioned.

7EL7
09-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Yeah I read it right, and I still say you're wrong.
He was a D student maybe if you only watched the first season. Besides what does it matter what his grades are, he doesn't belong in the group you mentioned.

you belong in the group i mentioned

KBA7
09-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Guess who's back?

Anyway, both Cosby's points and his own faults show why we've got to learn to live a civilized life. He says father's have to be there and parents have to care for there children. That's true, I mean that's common sense. I'd say having good parents is more important than a good school or even a good neighborhood. The school I went to sucked ass until I went to a nice district for high school but I know a lot more than most people because I went to the library with my mom. She stayed home; it was hard for years and we were probably some of the poorest folk in my neighborhood because of it but I'm smarter than most of the people I grew up with. I've got dreams and plans that they don't. Most of them been in trouble with 5-0; I ain't even smoked or drank or nothing.

Eric Unseen says a lot of folk have to work two jobs. That's true but realize that's why black folk, the poor, etc. got to unite. We need to pool our resources education and qualifications and start businesses, start buying resources, things like that. Its like Elijah Muhammad taught, "if eight of you are grocerers, open a grocery store." Eric, you added we've got to address the root problem. Exactly. The root problem is having babies when we're not ready. Understand this, the white man put the black man into dispora through slavery. But now the black man is putting the black man in dispora by fucking around. Sure, you can trace it to the white man-his corporations, his so-called hip-hop of sex and violence- but ultimately its your genitals your sticking around, not his. You've gotta see a baby as an 18+ year investment and do the math. You need to make sure you're baby's gonna be a prince or princess and you can't do that if he/she dont have a house or a father. How they gonna learn how to live a respectable life. They ain't teaching that at school.

As to Cosby's faults, KBA7 points out he had two babies out of wedlock and didnt try to raise them. I think he's regretting that and that's why he's saying what he is. There is a lesson there. Wealth does not change the fact we need to be civilized. Cosby could be as rich as he wants but he cant change what he did to thsoe 2 kids. We've got to learn to be civilized at the bottom so we can be civilized at the top.

Peace.

:hooray: U on point with it Sun.

KBA7
09-04-2006, 03:16 PM

I'm sure u r more than equipped to handle ur responsibilities but I'm sure some help wouldn't hurt. Like my man Bob Marley says "Everything is gonna b alright".

I feel u because 4 a long time my mother was in ur shoes. Whenever I was around older heads I was always trying 2 learn because my pops wasn't in the picture physically (Im still like that).

KBA7
09-04-2006, 03:19 PM

This is a struggle that u can gain buku gems from.

Punch
09-04-2006, 03:25 PM
you belong in the group i mentioned

funny
You're still wrong

And since we see you have nothing to say, I'll take that as a concession

7EL7
09-04-2006, 03:32 PM
your the oonly one in disagreement kick

and so what you feel i'm wrong

theo is retarded

lemme update the list

bart simpson
theo huxtable
chris griffin
punch

you see

i'm right

MsRzaRecTaH
09-04-2006, 03:57 PM
I'm sure u r more than equipped to handle ur responsibilities but I'm sure some help wouldn't hurt. Like my man Bob Marley says "Everything is gonna b alright".

I feel u because 4 a long time my mother was in ur shoes. Whenever I was around older heads I was always trying 2 learn because my pops wasn't in the picture physically (Im still like that).

Well I was talking to someone .. but we kept the relationship open, I knew he was talking to another girl ...so I told him that I rather much be his friend than anything.. he has helped me alot with the boys and food or whatnot.. if he saw my tank on E he would go fill it up.. but the other day he did call me
and he was upset at the other girl that hes talking too...
so I asked why>?? He said because her friends whom are Muslim invited her
somewhere.. and he told her he couldnt go.... well I kinda went off on him and asked him why he didnt allow it... he said because he dislikes Muslim people.......... well.. I went into blabbing on how he was wrong for doing that to her.. so he then asks me ... are you muslim? Im like no.... but if it wasnt for Muslim people and them shedding me the light about things that I was going thru at that time...... I probably be in a relationship where I would get beat everyday... and he doesnt understand that. this guy told me that all
Muslim people are evil... so I basically told him that I dont want nothing to do with him and not to ever call me no more...

was I wrong for that? I mean he loves my kids, and he was there for them more than their biological... but I am also not going to have someone who feels so much hate against Muslims....

sorry I just had to vent

Punch
09-04-2006, 04:20 PM
your the oonly one in disagreement kick

and so what you feel i'm wrong

theo is retarded

lemme update the list

bart simpson
theo huxtable
chris griffin
punch

you see

i'm right

See now you played the joke out.

And how many characters on that list do you think could graduate from NYU?

Case closed.

Next time have facts to back up your claims, it might work out better for you.

7EL7
09-04-2006, 04:27 PM
See now you played the joke out.

And how many characters on that list do you think could graduate from NYU?

Case closed.

Next time have facts to back up your claims, it might work out better for you.

i know that the retard went to college you cosby show watching bastard

his parents had money

i knew this one kid who was in the 10th grade and couldn't read. don't act like there ain't no retards in college

Punch !

The great defender of theo huxtable

snapple
09-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Well I was talking to someone .. but we kept the relationship open, I knew he was talking to another girl ...so I told him that I rather much be his friend than anything.. he has helped me alot with the boys and food or whatnot.. if he saw my tank on E he would go fill it up.. but the other day he did call me
somewhere.. and he told her he couldnt go.... well I kinda went off on him and asked him why he didnt allow it... he said because he dislikes Muslim people.......... well.. I went into blabbing on how he was wrong for doing that to her.. so he then asks me ... are you muslim? Im like no.... but if it wasnt for Muslim people and them shedding me the light about things that I was going thru at that time...... I probably be in a relationship where I would get beat everyday... and he doesnt understand that. this guy told me that all
Muslim people are evil... so I basically told him that I dont want nothing to do with him and not to ever call me no more...

was I wrong for that? I mean he loves my kids, and he was there for them more than their biological... but I am also not going to have someone who feels so much hate against Muslims....

sorry I just had to vent

well, i mean, i dont know the entire scenario but if i had seeds i wouldn't want them to be around someone who has hated in their heart like that, since he would odbiously be an influence to your children, no? i was crushing on a girl and we were going to a club and we just got onto the train to go into manhatan, well a fight breaks out and one of her friends gets stabbed and she tried to hit one of the kids and he threw her on the ground i just pushed the kid away and helped her up and they she decided to say "fucking moolie", well, she looks incredible, but i immeditly lost all attraction to her. better off i found out her true colors before anything could happen between us. sorry everyones not arian ma.

7EL7
09-04-2006, 05:03 PM

sorry I just had to vent

your always gonna find out some shit you don't like about someone you know

getting to know why he hates muslims would have been the best move

MsRzaRecTaH
09-04-2006, 06:49 PM
your always gonna find out some shit you don't like about someone you know

getting to know why he hates muslims would have been the best move

I wanted to ask him, but if you would of heard the hate in his voice.. I dont know Im glad it was over the phone because if he was in front of me I probably would of punched him ...

KBA7
09-08-2006, 12:11 AM

sorry I just had to vent

Just let this 1 fly. His little rant about Muslims is kind of weird. I wouldnt surround myself with negative energy like that.

Venting is good, let it out.