PDA

View Full Version : GangStarr - Moment Of Truth

Seborth
08-31-2006, 04:29 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/eb/Gangstarrmomentoftruth.jpg/200px-Gangstarrmomentoftruth.jpg

GangStarr - Moment Of Truth
1. You Know My Steez - 10/10
2. Robbin Hood Theory - 8/10
3. Work - 9/10
4. Royalty (featuring K-Ci/JoJo) - 10/10
5. Above The Clouds (featuring Inspectah Deck) - 10/10
6. JFK 2 LAX - 10/10
7. Itz A Set Up (featuring Hannibal) - 10/10
8. Moment Of Truth - 10/10
9. B.I. Vs. Friendship (featuring M.O.P.) - 10/10
10. Militia (featuring Big Shug/Freddie Foxxx) - 8/10
11. Rep Grows Bigga - 8/10
12. What I'm Here 4 - 8/10
13. She Knowz What She Wantz - 9/10
14. New York Strait Talk - 8/10
15. My Advice 2 You - 10/10
16. Make 'Em Pay (featuring Krumb Snatcha) - 9/10
17. The Mall (featuring G-Dep/Shiggy Sha) - 10/10
18. Betrayal (featuring Scarface) - 9/10
19. Next Time - 10/10
20. In Memory Of... - 7/10

Total - 10/10 Classic N.Y. CD...
Fife favorite joints - The Mall, Above The Clouds, Itz A Set Up, Next Time, Royality

ShaDynasty
08-31-2006, 04:35 PM
dope album, classic even, its not their best though
daily operation, step in the arena, hard to earn are all better, but this was a great album. guru drops knowledge on every track, the production is hard but theres a lotta songs with those emotional strings. fat shit.

markd4213
08-31-2006, 04:44 PM
rep grows bigga and militia, actually the entire album is great I have it in my car right now.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-01-2006, 08:11 AM
their worst album that ive heard, i only have this and "step in the arena", "hard to earn" and "daily operation" and "No More Mr. Nice Guy". its still about an 8/10 but not a classic for me.

famenchuan
09-01-2006, 08:47 AM
This album is 10/10 for me. I can listen to this album all the way through. Every track is hot. I also have hard to earn which is good but this album is just to sick.

Razorsharp
09-01-2006, 06:32 PM
my favorite from gangstarr.... mad ILL... *the rep grows bigger*!!! and the MILITIA!!!!

Bedlam
09-03-2006, 11:00 PM
their worst album that ive heard, i only have this and "step in the arena", "hard to earn" and "daily operation" and "No More Mr. Nice Guy". its still about an 8/10 but not a classic for me.

you really think this is worse than No More Mr. Nice Guy? You're fucking nuts man, just the title track alone makes the album a classic. Guru finally came hard with the lyrics, Primo's beats weren't as simplistic as previous albums, and had alot more feel to them, not just simple jazz melodys. This shit is top 10, a fuckin clasic

Ghost_Deini_
09-04-2006, 12:30 AM
this albums amazing. ive listened to it so many times...

Bloo
09-04-2006, 04:16 AM
Three words

What I'm Here For... Classic shit

ShaDynasty
09-04-2006, 04:26 AM
you really think this is worse than No More Mr. Nice Guy? You're fucking nuts man, just the title track alone makes the album a classic. Guru finally came hard with the lyrics, Primo's beats weren't as simplistic as previous albums, and had alot more feel to them, not just simple jazz melodys. This shit is top 10, a fuckin clasic

finally came hard with the lyrics?!
guru been spittin hot shit since step in the arena

Longbongcilvaringz
09-04-2006, 10:26 AM

guru is far superior on earlier album, especially "daily operation" which is much better then "mot" imo. watever, its opinions of premos beats, but i much prefer his stuff from "daily operation" and "hard to earn". "no more mr. nice guy" is dope

complexity in simplicity

Jim Kelly
09-04-2006, 07:50 PM

Wow..

Ginnsey
10-20-2006, 10:05 AM
This was my First GangStarr albumn that i bought. It is my second fav albumn to 36 chambers. Its that good.

I went and bought all his other cds after that... they are good but no where near as sick as this one

CharlesJones
10-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Classic album. I wish Gang Starr would've released more than 6 albums. They take too long to release albums. Guru and Premier need to put the bullshit aside and get back together to do some more Gang Starr albums. Underground rap fans need their music.

the insignificant
10-21-2006, 03:09 AM
GangStarr - Moment Of Truth
1. You Know My Steez - 3.5/5
2. Robbin Hood Theory - 5/5
3. Work - 4/5
4. Royalty (featuring K-Ci/JoJo) - 5/5
5. Above The Clouds (featuring Inspectah Deck) - 5/5
6. JFK 2 LAX - 4/5
7. Itz A Set Up (featuring Hannibal) - 4/5
8. Moment Of Truth - 4.5/5
9. B.I. Vs. Friendship (featuring M.O.P.) - 3.5/5
10. Militia (featuring Big Shug/Freddie Foxxx) - 4/5
11. Rep Grows Bigga - 4/5
12. What I'm Here 4 - 3.5/5
13. She Knowz What She Wantz - 3/5
14. New York Strait Talk - 3.5/5
15. My Advice 2 You - 3.5/5
16. Make 'Em Pay (featuring Krumb Snatcha) - 4/5
17. The Mall (featuring G-Dep/Shiggy Sha) - 4/5
18. Betrayal (featuring Scarface) - 4/5
19. Next Time - 4/5
20. In Memory Of... - 4.5/5

not my favourite album of theirs but this is awesome... maybe a little bit too long... lyrically, guru's best album for me... he really had something to say on this album... and overall premo's beats are more polished here as well...

2L8Lit da croatianMC
02-07-2007, 12:36 PM
that shit is way to powerfull that i give somethin below 9/10

venex
02-07-2007, 03:10 PM
10/10

I love this album, def in my top 10 of fav of alltime

beardman
02-09-2007, 09:26 AM
Man this album is powerfull!

I recommand this to everyone!

9,5/10
________
medical marijuana dispensary (http://dispensaries.org/)

6what131
08-26-2007, 12:47 PM
http://www.rap2k.com/one/uploads/post-80-1117104138.jpg

this is one of my favorite albums. the production is flawless and the guest spots are nasty. imo gangstarrs best album, definitly a classic

1. You Know My Steez -5/5
2. Robbin Hood Theory -3.5/5 3. Work -4/5 4. Royalty -5/5 5. Above The Clouds -5/5 6. JFK 2 LAX -4.5/5 7. Itz A Set Up -4/5 8. Moment Of Truth -5/5 9. B.I. Vs. Friendship -3/5 10. The Militia -5/5 11. The Rep Grows Bigga -4.5/5 12. What I'm Here 4 -5/5 13. She Knows What She Wants -5/5 14. New York Strait Talk -4/5 15. My Advice 2 You -5/5 16. Make 'Em Pay -5/5 17. The Mall -3/5 18. Betrayal -4.5/5 19. Next Time -4.5/5 20. In Memory Of... -5/5

WuGambino
08-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Love this album, only copped it recently.
Before I just Had Daily Operation, The Ownerz and Full Clip. Now I have all the albums apart from Hard To Earn, and this is definately my favourite. :mmmyah:

The production on this as an album rivals some of the early Wu solo albums, but my only complaint is it gets a bit formulaic sometimes and sounds too familiar.
Guru peaked as an emcee here too, his lyrical skills elevated and he kept the trademark storytelling and includes a message all the time - he went so downhill on the Ownerz.

DRUNKENDRAGON
08-27-2007, 11:23 AM
This is permanently in my whip, constant rotation... the only tracks i skip is she knows what she wants and the mall. the mall has a dope beat but that take money money make money money part i dont like. I usually play It'z a set up like 3 or 4 times in a row

WuGambino
08-27-2007, 12:14 PM
^ lol yeah I was surprised Gang Starr had such a stupid wack chorus on one of their albums - I can't listen to that song

buckshotstheone
08-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Now I have all the albums apart from Hard To Earn,

that;s like teh equivilant of owning Nas' whole catalogue except for Illmatic, or owning Dynasty and Vol. 3 without having Reasonable Doubt

you NEED hard to earn, it is by far their best album, part of the trifecta that year with Group Home and Jeru

ShaDynasty
08-30-2007, 11:55 AM
that;s like teh equivilant of owning Nas' whole catalogue except for Illmatic, or owning Dynasty and Vol. 3 without having Reasonable Doubt

you NEED hard to earn, it is by far their best album, part of the trifecta that year with Group Home and Jeru

i agree, all their albums are brilliant, even their debut, but damn that album is hard as hell, its just straight up classic hip hop.

BRONZBODY
08-30-2007, 10:38 PM
dope album

though step into the arena is my personal fave and hte is the hardest album mot is guru and preem at they best

One and Only
08-31-2007, 12:00 PM
5/5 SERIOUSLY A CLASSIC in my opinion I bang the shit out of this album always when I put it in I don't take it out for days it's amazing. Guru is such a great rapper and Premo is a legend on the boards. Great guests like MOP, Krumbsnatcha, Freddie Fox, Inspectah Deck, G-Dep, etc.

Dragondude_R
08-31-2007, 08:10 PM
GangStarr's best album, Moment of Truth is great.

I've heard every GS album except their first two. Primo is the greatest.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
09-01-2007, 12:23 AM
'its lonely at the top so whatever u do, u always gotta watch motherfuckers around u...'

great album indeed, love the production

Tony Bandana
01-04-2009, 05:50 PM
11/10

one of the dopest records in the genre of hip hop . Hard To Earn , Step In The Arena, Moment Of Truth flip a coin dont matter.

the actual track Moment Of Truth is epic

and lol @ the original poster giving 8/10 ta" What Im Here 4"? 10/10

ONGH

2Bladez
01-14-2009, 06:57 AM
9/10, best gang starr album to me

Edgar Erebus
01-14-2009, 07:18 AM
I never liked it that much. It's way too packed with standard post-97 Premo production, comes off as monotone to me. And excursions into different sounds didn't come off that good. And Guru came clean, as usual, but nothing more than that (IMO his shining moment was Daily Operation).

I give it a 8 - a really good album but not a classic.

Tony Bandana
01-18-2009, 09:06 PM
unbelivably the numb nutz in the hip hop room didnt jump all over this or they never seen the thread anyways..

http://pipomixes.blogspot.com/2008/07/soliloquy-of-gangstarr-mixed-by.html

^^^^

heres an ill GangStarr mix along with many others.

ONGH

edit : i cant believe 2 ppl here. gave WHAT IM HERE 4 an 8/10 and 3.5/5?? damn . One of my fav. alltime Gangstarr joints

Don Universo
04-16-2009, 04:57 PM
One of the few groups(besides wu tang clan) that everytime an album drops i cop it. I think this was slept on by many...9/10 i have this one tied for 2nd with hard to earn. step into the arena being the best GS album.

Reiko
07-28-2009, 11:40 AM
^^ co-sign this is slept on album, and when it comes to rating I would give it 10/10 it's personal classic, beats are perfect and Guru came correct.

Tony Bandana
07-28-2009, 02:36 PM
there all fuckin good ...from No More Mr Nice Guy to Da Ownerz .

especially in this day and age of low end hip hop quality records

Ecuanime
07-29-2009, 10:10 PM
I remember when I was a youngin I would just listen to Above the Clouds, over and over again, like Radio Raheem and "Fight the Power."

Guru dropped crazy knowledge on this album, love his message on Royalty.

Anybody like his Jazzmatazz CD?

nydomincan01
08-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Three words

What I'm Here For... Classic shit

LOL. thats four words... FAIL!

Matthew
08-29-2009, 10:59 AM
great album not a Masterpiece however....

Tony Bandana
08-30-2009, 01:17 PM
wow...you yoyoz must have a different copy then mine,.

unbelivable this record is what 20 tracks deep ...i dont really recall skipping through 1.

record is just straight up proper hip hip ...with some unbelivable beats and messagss

4th Chamber
09-21-2009, 01:57 AM

Word up! Moment of Truth is a classic and the production is second to none. Guru's lyrics were better than ever and Preemo made even better beats than before. 35 samples used for the whole album, nice!

MaskedAvenger
09-29-2009, 12:18 AM
This album is a masterpiece. I don't expect it to get too much love from WuCorp but easily in my top 10 albums and I own over 3000.

Ginnsey
10-22-2009, 01:10 PM
I remember when I was a youngin I would just listen to Above the Clouds, over and over again, like Radio Raheem and "Fight the Power."

Guru dropped crazy knowledge on this album, love his message on Royalty.

Anybody like his Jazzmatazz CD?

Jazzmatazz is sick! No Hip Hop show ive been to compares to watching this shit live!! Mad Lyrics from Guru and then all of a sudden some guy comes on starts doin a crazy sax solo then a trumpet player takes over, then back to Guru!!

But Vol 3 and 4 are wack...... 1 and 2 are classic

KJR
06-15-2013, 02:01 PM
This album is a masterpiece. I don't expect it to get too much love from WuCorp but easily in my top 10 albums and I own over 3000.

You own all them albums on CD?

MaskedAvenger
06-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Over 4000 now. probably around 1000 burnt, rest cd/vinyl and probably a few hundred lost/stolen or never returned. these days though I dont buy too much, maybe only like 50 a year

CharlesJones
06-15-2013, 02:33 PM
I was listening to Moment Of Truth today and i love the song Betrayal with Scarface. I was surprised they got to do a collabo with Scarface. I love the beat. I was looking at some of the comments in here about Moment Of Truth and i saw a guy say he didn't like the hook on The Mall. I didn't have a problem with the hook saying take money money, go shopping, make money money, go shopping. DJ Premier said no matter what the weather, winter, spring or fall, we be doing it and he sampled somebody saying the mall which kinda sounded like LL Cool J. LL did say i go to the mall and they throw my old tapes at me on Cheesy Rat Blues song. So Premier could've sampled his voice saying the mall from that song.

MaskedAvenger
06-15-2013, 02:39 PM
I never liked Gang Starr prior to this album and I remember the Source gave it 4 and a half mics and the next issue there was a shit load of people writing in complaining that it should of got 5 mics so I went and copped the album and hated it, I thought Guru was boring as fuck but over time it became my favorite album. Today I consider it a masterpiece.

CharlesJones
06-15-2013, 03:02 PM
You're telling me that you don't like Daily Operation and Hard To Earn albums? LOL.

MaskedAvenger
06-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Yeah of course I do, I'm saying that I didnt get into Gang Starr until this album came out in 98, I slept on them prior to that.

CharlesJones
06-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Well i can see what you mean. I didn't like No More Mr Nice Guy and Step In The Arena albums. But they definitely made better albums when they did Daily Operation, Hard To Earn, Moment Of Truth. Step In The Arena has a few songs i like but i don't listen to it often like i do Daily Operation, Hard To Earn, Moment Of Truth. I don't see how anybody can say Guru is boring. He's never been boring to me. He has a laidback style and he's not aggressive like most rappers and i like that. Not every rapper has to be hardcore and aggressive.

KJR
06-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Over 4000 now. probably around 1000 burnt, rest cd/vinyl and probably a few hundred lost/stolen or never returned. these days though I dont buy too much, maybe only like 50 a year

Wow that's respectable man! How many years you been collectin'? Is it mostly all hip hop?

MaskedAvenger
06-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Since 89, only hip hop.

CharlesJones
06-16-2013, 06:19 AM
I have a lot of rap and r&b cd's also and some r&b albums. 70's, 80's, 90's were the best decades for rap and r&b. It's really sad that rap and r&b today will never be like it was back in the day. That's why i love Youtube because i get to watch old footage of rap and r&b videos from back in the day and i also watch old footage of r&b artists performing on Soul Train tv show. Those artists back then had skills and could sing real good. They could also dance. These wack rappers and wack r&b singers today need to watch old footage on Youtube of rappers and r&b singers from back in the day so they can learn the history of artists that came before them and see how their music was good. I also wanna thank Don Corneilus(RIP)for starting Soul Train to give black artists a chance to be seen on tv because most black artists from back in the day wasn't given a lot of tv exposure. Soul Train also gave blacks a chance to be seen dancing. There was some good black dancers on Soul Train. Jody Watley and Jeffrey Daniels who was with the r&b group Shalamar got their start as dancers on Soul Train and they were good dancers.

KJR
06-16-2013, 06:32 AM
Since 89, only hip hop.

That's crazy man! Do you feel like there's still lots of stuff you don't have or do you feel like you have pretty much everything you want at this point?

CharlesJones
06-16-2013, 06:44 AM
Well i haven't bought a music cd since 2006 LOL. There's too much garbage music out and that's why i don't go to the record store anymore. I probably won't go anymore for a long time because i don't even bother to listen to these new artists. Black music will never be good again like it was in the 70's, 80's, 90's.

KJR
06-16-2013, 06:46 AM
I still think there's lots of great rap being released, it's just different than it used to be. Not really in quality, but rather approach and execution. The production has changed with the times too.

CharlesJones
06-16-2013, 06:54 AM
Well you can continue to listen to rap if you want but i'd rather listen to my old rap cd's. The way i feel about black music is the same way i feel about movies. I love movies especially action movies and there aren't a lot of action movies being made now. Old action stars like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Steven Seagal, Jean Claude Van Damme are trying to keep action movies alive but once they stop doing movies, who's gonna be the new action stars? I have a concern about the future of action movies because it's a lot of wack movies coming to theatres. Straight to video action movies are better than the action movies that come to theatres. There's been a few recent action movies that came to theatres that i like such as Gangster Squad, Parker, Bullet To The Head, Die Hard 5, Fast and the Furious 6. 2 Guns with Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington is a action movie that's coming to theatres August 2nd that looks good and i wanna see it. I used to love going to the movies in the summer because there used to be a lot of good action movies but it's not like that anymore.

MaskedAvenger
06-16-2013, 08:15 AM
That's crazy man! Do you feel like there's still lots of stuff you don't have or do you feel like you have pretty much everything you want at this point?

Nah I pretty much got everything I want in terms of older stuff, every now and then I discover a hidden gem though. I still like a lot of new stuff but I'm over buying CD's, now when I buy a CD I put it on the shelf and never even touch it.

KJR
06-16-2013, 06:00 PM
^Yeah with everything being digital now, CDs are becoming a little useless. I still buy them because I enjoy having a physical copy and artwork, etc.

@CharlesJones: Was the new Die Hard actually good? I heard it was awful.

CharlesJones
06-17-2013, 05:24 AM
Die Hard 5 is good. I watched it this weekend and i wanna buy it. Don't listen to what people say. Check it out. It's better than Die Hard 2, 3 and 4.

KJR
06-17-2013, 06:45 AM
^Alright, I'll have to. I really like this album but I think "What Im Here 4", "Make Em Pay" and "The Mall" are definitely the weakest tracks. They should've been cut imo

CharlesJones
06-17-2013, 09:43 PM
LOL@you think Make Em Pay and The Mall are weak songs hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Make Em Pay is one of the best songs on the album. Krumbsnatcha's lyrics on it is hard.

KJR
06-18-2013, 06:19 AM
They're not "weak" songs per se. They're just "weaker" than a lot of the other tracks. The album is so long that I think it would've been better if they were cut or even if they were put on the end as bonus tracks. I don't care for the hook on "The Mall".

CharlesJones
06-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Well i'm glad that Moment Of Truth has 20 songs, well really 19 because the last song is just Premier and Guru saying rest in peace to people who died. The reason i'm glad there's 20 songs is because it took them 4 years to make the album from their Hard To Earn album which came out before this. 4 years is too long to make a new album. They should've released albums every 2 years. It took them 5 years to come out with The Ownerz. I think the reason it took them long to release albums is because Guru was doing Jazzmatazz albums and he shouldn't have done that. He should've just did Gang Starr albums.

UNCLE RUCKUS
06-20-2013, 02:30 PM
this 5/5 top ten hip-hop lps all time!

KJR
06-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Well i'm glad that Moment Of Truth has 20 songs, well really 19 because the last song is just Premier and Guru saying rest in peace to people who died. The reason i'm glad there's 20 songs is because it took them 4 years to make the album from their Hard To Earn album which came out before this. 4 years is too long to make a new album. They should've released albums every 2 years. It took them 5 years to come out with The Ownerz. I think the reason it took them long to release albums is because Guru was doing Jazzmatazz albums and he shouldn't have done that. He should've just did Gang Starr albums.

Yeah, I'm not a huge Jazzmatazz fan.

MaskedAvenger
07-16-2013, 07:00 PM
The Jazzmatazz series is dope