PDA

View Full Version : Wu-Tang suck at making albums.

Antibody
09-03-2006, 05:37 AM
Seriously. They have some classic albums, but most of what they put out is good or average... this wouldnt be bad, but wu-tang are 9 of the best MCs in the world. Nearly every member has a dissapointing solo discography.

I'll admit I havnt heard every albums from every member, but I own all of Ghost's albums and people say he is the most consitent member of the clan (some people say gza)... Ghost to me is maybe the best MC ever, but his last 3 albums were good. Theres nothing wrong with them, but one of the best MCs ever should be putting out more than just good albums.

Raekwon is brilliant, but Immobilarity has really average beats which ruin it, and I don't want to get lex diamond story cuz most people say it sucks. Cumon man... I reckon his raps actually improved after cuban linx but his albums got worse, thats not right.

Method man... dont need to talk.

I personally love Bobby Digital in Stereo but I know thats not the best he can do.

I dont want to go into every member but i think u get the point.

Im not hating, it just hit me that some of the best rappers in the world should have a much better discography by now.

WotsGoinDown
09-03-2006, 07:59 AM
You are a hater.

Tetsuo
09-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Lemonade was a popular drink and it still is.

Gravedigga_nigga
09-03-2006, 08:15 AM
Seriously. They have some classic albums, but most of what they put out is good or average... this wouldnt be bad, but wu-tang are 9 of the best MCs in the world. Nearly every member has a dissapointing solo discography.

I'll admit I havnt heard every albums from every member, but I own all of Ghost's albums and people say he is the most consitent member of the clan (some people say gza)... Ghost to me is maybe the best MC ever, but his last 3 albums were good. Theres nothing wrong with them, but one of the best MCs ever should be putting out more than just good albums.

Raekwon is brilliant, but Immobilarity has really average beats which ruin it, and I don't want to get lex diamond story cuz most people say it sucks. Cumon man... I reckon his raps actually improved after cuban linx but his albums got worse, thats not right.

I personally love Bobby Digital in Stereo but I know thats not the best he can do.

Im not hating, it just hit me that some of the best rappers in the world should have a much better discography by now.

What the fuck are you talking about? Sit down and STFU!

THE W
09-03-2006, 09:08 AM
wu-tang has suffered from poor beat selection for a long time. its takes more then lyrics to make a great album. those first string of solos had great lyrics AND great beats.

i have to agree that a lot of the discographies of the 9 general have been pretty subpar. i cant say that any member hasnt had a subpar album and the only member who hasnt had 2 is Gza.

venex
09-03-2006, 09:16 AM
^^^legend of the liquid swords had ALOT of poor beats...

Marc051
09-03-2006, 09:19 AM
It's because when you look at classics like Liquid Swords, they weren't truly solo albums. It's hard to measure up to that when suddenly lose that and have to work on your own.

JON MURDOCK06
09-03-2006, 09:19 AM

i agree rza didnt put out what he was capable of on bobby digital well i agree on everything u just said

THE W
09-03-2006, 09:20 AM
which is why i said every member has had at least 1 subpar album.

THE W
09-03-2006, 09:22 AM
It's because when you look at classics like Liquid Swords, they weren't truly solo albums. It's hard to measure up to that when suddenly lose that and have to work on your own.
you dont have to equal those classics to make something thats above being subpar.

beneath the surface and grandmasters are superior albums without being on the level of liquid swords.

Marc051
09-03-2006, 09:32 AM
you dont have to equal those classics to make something thats above being subpar.

beneath the surface and grandmasters are superior albums without being on the level of liquid swords.

those are the few exceptions that actually work when you find the perfect chemistry. Beneath the Surface is heavily loaded with guests and has mostly Mathematics production. Grandmasters was the perfect chemistry because Muggs is very similar to RZA.....too bad it took this long for them to figure it out.

WotsGoinDown
09-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Real hip hop doesnt sell anymore , thats why they have to make some of the songs commercial in thier albums, which makes thier albums not very good.

GENERAL WISE
09-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Clanners need one producer for the whole album, no more of the bullshit making beats that dont vibe with the rest of the album.
And rza needs to stop acting and movie "scoring" som1 drag his ass IN THE FUCKING STUDIO, no more telephone through beats.

ShaDynasty
09-03-2006, 12:50 PM
wu tang still have it in them to make classic albums, its all about the formula....

THE W
09-03-2006, 01:01 PM
those are the few exceptions that actually work when you find the perfect chemistry. Beneath the Surface is heavily loaded with guests and has mostly Mathematics production. Grandmasters was the perfect chemistry because Muggs is very similar to RZA.....too bad it took this long for them to figure it out.
dont forget tical2000 and supreme clientele. hell, some even argue these are better then their predecessors.

OwnageNinja
09-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Real hip hop doesnt sell anymore , thats why they have to make some of the songs commercial in thier albums, which makes thier albums not very good.
Actually no hip hop sells anymore. It's just those desperate enough to go to the extremes of looking like filthy minstrel show slobs that may sell a LITTLE more than others.

61stkillah
09-03-2006, 01:53 PM
[quote=Antibody;573301]

[quote]

Thats How I Was thinkin when people were sayin The Pretty Toney Album Sucks And It Doesn't, The Same wit Lex Diamond Story, People Were Sayin It Sucks And I Herd It And Enjoyed The Album, In Other Words.. follow your own judgement Not Others
________
Bmw M56 (http://www.bmw-tech.org/wiki/BMW_M56)

sonny getz
09-03-2006, 02:44 PM
I think they're having a comeback. Fishscale is better than Pretty Toney, 4:21 is better than the Prequel, and Made in Brooklyn is better than No Said Date. I'm pretty sure The Cure couldn't be much worse than Birth of a Prince, and Only Built for Cuban Linx 2 is probably gonna be Rae's best album since Cuban Linx 1. They just fell victim to changing production values. Hopefully the next Clan album will be better than Iron Flag cause I don't think I even made it all the way through that one....

Marc051
09-03-2006, 11:29 PM
dont forget tical2000 and supreme clientele. hell, some even argue these are better then their predecessors.

I consider Supreme Clientle a Wu-Tang album beacuse it follows the same formula as a lot of early Wu-Tang albums. It has a few experimental tracks but they definitely work

staycreepin_n_silence
09-04-2006, 12:29 AM
To put my 2 cents in I agree solo wise wu can't cut it. Most of the good solos was accompanied by atleast one other clansman. They compliment each other and when you have one clansman holding down an album it's like okay it's missing something. In the case of Master killa I feel he was doing what he like, saying what he like and making an album that he wanted to make. Amd most of us didn't feel it.

A hater is someone that don't like it because it's good. When someone hate that their favorite rapper is shelved so they down the other cats that's on the charts that's a hater. Someone that's like okay I know you can do better why are you putting out mediocre raps for. I say stick to clans album instead of solo work you know

ShaDynasty
09-04-2006, 03:34 AM
I think they're having a comeback. Fishscale is better than Pretty Toney, 4:21 is better than the Prequel, and Made in Brooklyn is better than No Said Date. I'm pretty sure The Cure couldn't be much worse than Birth of a Prince, and Only Built for Cuban Linx 2 is probably gonna be Rae's best album since Cuban Linx 1. They just fell victim to changing production values. Hopefully the next Clan album will be better than Iron Flag cause I don't think I even made it all the way through that one....

made in brooklyn is nowhere near as good as no said date

Antibody
09-04-2006, 05:05 AM
[quote=Antibody;573301]

[quote]

Thats How I Was thinkin when people were sayin The Pretty Toney Album Sucks And It Doesn't, The Same wit Lex Diamond Story, People Were Sayin It Sucks And I Herd It And Enjoyed The Album, In Other Words.. follow your own judgement Not Others

Agree with u here, I was just being honest instead of pretending I've bought every single album theyve put out.

I bought Pretty Toney and liked it, but that had a lot of good reviews aswell and I had the rest of Ghosts albums and liked all of them. I bought Immobilarity despite the criticism and liked it in some parts, but I don't listen to it much because of the beats and even tho im a big Rae fan, other Rae fans say Lex Diamonds is worse than Immobilarity and I don't want to pay for an album that i'll probably hardly listen to if u see what i mean.

Thanks to everyone who took my post seriously, and fuck anyone who called me a hater; get a life.

WuTangMaster
09-04-2006, 12:53 PM
To me, what defines a good MC is his skillz, lyrically speaking. I like MC's that make you think. Beats are nice and all but a bit overrated as far as how far it can take a song. At best, it goes hand in hand. You need good content and sound.

SMOKE BLUNTS
09-11-2006, 02:31 PM
wu is power, skills, gracfulness, and leadership

Lil' Ruger
09-11-2006, 02:44 PM
true u-god is like ma favorite now and i aint seen any of his albums i mean RZA i love his beats good songs include
triumph
mr sandman
iron god chamber
winter warz never again was good too i like wu alot but they needa big comeback to put em on top again like i said b4 one of em is gonna realize they need a new generation of wu-tang

hectis
09-15-2006, 12:49 PM
I Wish The Wu Would Only Use Wu Producers I Hope On The Gza's Album And All The Next Albums To Come Out Thats What They Do

biblebullet
09-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Antibody has got a point but i think that he hasn't got good ear drums, maybe too much wax in them. Look i think you guys should stop comparing albums and criticising albums too much. you admitted it yourself that when you actually got some of the albums you thought and had heard that they were wack or suck, and actually listened to them you liked what you heard or at least some of what you heard isn't ? so i say take each album as it comes and appreciate it for it's value. give credit where it's due and give constructive and appropriate criticisms.

And i bet if wu were to make the so called "REAL hip-hop album" am sure it sales would really be LOW.
Remember it all about the money....C.R.E.A.M

Tzaosirus
10-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Trust in the RZA.

morgan
10-09-2006, 08:17 AM

If i ever met you i'd drop you

the insignificant
10-10-2006, 04:30 AM
not many artists in any form of music are able to have a catalogue without a couple of misses in it...

Crackhead Bob
10-10-2006, 05:58 AM

uh did u even listen to birth of a prince??? that album bangs its rza at his best and too bad u didnt make it thru iron flag the 2nd half of it is fuckin classic....

Crackhead Bob
10-10-2006, 06:05 AM
and 4 the person who posted this, What are u doing here on this site, u aint a fan so beat it!

sonny getz
10-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I listened to Birth of a Prince for about a week straight trying to get into it and I couldn't. I'll give Iron Flag another listen, though.

Crackhead Bob
10-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I listened to Birth of a Prince for about a week straight trying to get into it and I couldn't. I'll give Iron Flag another listen, though.
i can understand not getting into birth cause the beats arent top notch (except chi kung and a day to god...) but the album is chock full of quotables read my newly posted review on this album....

glad to hear u r gettin back into iron flag. while i find the first 6 songs collectively weak the last 6 more than make up for it
u can read this review as well in the thread which is better the w or iron flag?

digitalninja
10-10-2006, 12:49 PM

I AGREE 100% !! i'm a wu fan since day one (1995),it was the golden era of NY-ruff-rugged-and grimey hiphop

but now....WHAT ??

LORD ZERO
10-15-2006, 10:20 AM
true, every solo album got gradually weaker, especially u-god and rae, the only one w/ a solid discography is masta killa

LORD ZERO
10-15-2006, 10:22 AM
and as for rae....cl2 might be da nail in da coffin for him from my standpoint and da tracks i heard

MMTX
10-15-2006, 10:33 AM
WTF????
I Beg To Differ.. At least Wu isn't like all these other cookie cutter rappers, come on now that was just ridiculous... WU-TANG4EVA!

Skellington
10-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Most of 'em have a dissapointing discography?

Hmmm, ok, there's 1 that I know of, Inspectah deck...yes....but the rest of'm?? Nah, some fell of big time sure, like Method Man, he never brought anything good no more after "Tical"......But Ghostface, RZA,.....still doin' damn good albums, and GZA aswell ( fuck that "beneath the surface" album tho.....making me spend money for a wack ass album like this....).
But that's about it.

Wongo921
10-15-2006, 03:18 PM
They are still putting out good albums. I just started listening to wu like a year and a half ago. I got 36 chambers from a friend, and I loved it. Then I got the pretty toney album and again, loved it. I know a lot of people who are new wu fans who heard the pretty toney album, and was like this ghostface guy is awesome, then went and started listening to old wu stuff.
People are comparing the new albums to old albums too much. People listen to an album like pretty toney or 4:21 or fishscale and say the artist is not as good as he used to be, and give the album a bad review. Just because an album is not as good as an artists' previous album does not make it a bad album. Listen to what rae says on the skit at the beginning of smith bros on lex diamond story.

And as for wu albums, 36 chambers and forever are classics. The W is damn near classic. And Iron Flag, though very different and nowhere near 36 chambers, is still a VERY good album, and is definetly WAY ABOVE PAR when compared to the average hip-hop album.

And wu still has potential to make classic songs. To me, RAGU is classic, presidential MC is near classic, Street Corner is classic. 4:21, the resident patient, and the DaVinci Code mixtape were better than I expected, and i think that all of their careers are far from over. Rae is sounding really good right now, and I hope that being on aftermath will help his career.

Wongo921
10-15-2006, 03:19 PM
And Grandmasters is definetly a classic to me

MMTX
10-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Bottomline is I think everyone needs to go rebuy every album and just meditate and marinate on it for a minute---You will then obtain a clear understanding of how deep and sick (great) they were.. I think there is too much understimating in these pages.. This is not a debate. Wu-Tang4Eva

MMTX
10-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Never underestimate the WU!

riddla
10-15-2006, 09:09 PM
They are still putting out good albums. I just started listening to wu like a year and a half ago. I got 36 chambers from a friend, and I loved it. Then I got the pretty toney album and again, loved it. I know a lot of people who are new wu fans who heard the pretty toney album, and was like this ghostface guy is awesome, then went and started listening to old wu stuff.
People are comparing the new albums to old albums too much. People listen to an album like pretty toney or 4:21 or fishscale and say the artist is not as good as he used to be, and give the album a bad review. Just because an album is not as good as an artists' previous album does not make it a bad album. Listen to what rae says on the skit at the beginning of smith bros on lex diamond story.

And as for wu albums, 36 chambers and forever are classics. The W is damn near classic. And Iron Flag, though very different and nowhere near 36 chambers, is still a VERY good album, and is definetly WAY ABOVE PAR when compared to the average hip-hop album.

And wu still has potential to make classic songs. To me, RAGU is classic, presidential MC is near classic, Street Corner is classic. 4:21, the resident patient, and the DaVinci Code mixtape were better than I expected, and i think that all of their careers are far from over. Rae is sounding really good right now, and I hope that being on aftermath will help his career.

co-fuckin-sign.....

RAMESH
10-26-2006, 04:16 PM
to be honest i like all the wu-tang cd's that came out except for 1
most of my cd's are wu-tang related & i'm happy with what i listen to
i randomly select a cd & let the whole thing play
i don't really care what's new or old i can play the same cd for three months in my car before i change it with another one i'm not saying that i feel all the songs but i respect the artists
the way i see it they took the time to make it so i'll the time to listen to it
there is more than a 100 wu-tang members so chances are you might not listen to that cd again in quite a while so you might as well enjoy it when you got the chance to.
truth is wu-tang is the best because they are the biggest like rza says power in numbers it helps the cause that there is so much talent & unique styles in the group.

Masta Chilla
02-24-2007, 12:55 PM
i'm goin thru my collection ratin every one so i can tell you who got a bad discography in my opinion:

whole clan:
enter the wu-tang: classic
wu-tang forever: classic
the w: between banger & classic
iron flag: between banger & classic

(the discography of the clan is almost perfect)

rza:
bobby digital in stereo: banger
bobby digital in digital bullet: between average & banger
birth of a prince: banger

(rza's disks are all bangers)

gza:
liquid swords: classic
beneath the surface: between banger & classic
grandmasters: between banger & classic

(i don't have lotls but it can't be that bad so gza's discography is very good)

ol dirty bastard:
return to the 36 chambers: classic

(i don't have any other odb albums so i can't say sth about his discography...)

raekwon:
only built 4 cuban linx: classic
immobilarity: banger

(these 2 cds are good so i don't think the lex diamond story will be very disappointing... his discography is also good)

ghostface killah:
ironman: classic
supreme clientele: classic
fishscale: average
more fish: average
(hidden darts mixtape: between average & banger)

(his first albums were absolute classics but his last ones weren't that great... and i don't have the ones in the middle so i can only say some are good some not but i haven't any weak gfk albums)

masta killa:
no said date: classic
made in brooklyn: between banger & classic
(exclusives mixtape: banger)

(mk's discs are all bangin!)

inspectah deck:
uncontrolled substance: banger
(resident patient: average)

(i don't know... i think i'm going to cop the movement before i say sth about his discography)

u-god:
golden arms redemption: banger

(don't have any other albums from uey...)

method man:
tical: between banger and classic
tical 2000: banger
tical 0: wack
4:21: banger

(if it wasn't for tical 0 his disks'd all been bangin...)

i don't think the discographies of the generals are that bad...

WeMadeIt
02-25-2007, 04:52 PM

You must be kidding me, man, I loved Birth of a Prince, honestly, more then Bob Digi in Stereo.

Esquire
02-25-2007, 04:56 PM

Urgh it's so does'nt, the darkness in that album is portrayed through the beat's so well.

2L8Lit da croatianMC
02-26-2007, 12:05 PM
You must be kidding me, man, I loved Birth of a Prince, honestly, more then Bob Digi in Stereo.

Co Sign!

crass
02-26-2007, 12:06 PM
Urgh it's so does'nt, the darkness in that album is portrayed through the beat's so well.

some of the beats DO get boring, but i agree that it's one of the darkest wu albums. GZA definitely succeeded in giving that album a dark and murky city vibe not unlike liquid swords (the cover art helps too)

g_flex
03-02-2007, 09:49 AM

so name me who has an album with complete classics...?..giv em a break will ya i do enjoy the sub classic shit mo than their regular shit they perform every other show ..

Longbongcilvaringz
03-02-2007, 09:56 AM

truth, and to me lyrically it is his second best effort.

DJMethods
03-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Nah, I agree man.

I don' like music a lot of the cats on here like.. My favourite RZA album is "digital bullet", just thought that shit was dope and still play it at parties and shit. bobby Digital In Stereo is good, and so is Birth of a Prince.. I reckon RZA should be excluded, and he ain't even the best MC in the clan!

What I reckon the MAIN problem is, is the production. They all don't want RZA produced albums cause they don't want him being huge, and RZA said he'd be the leader till they took over the world, and they did, and he stopped.

I don't know why, ALL are dope MCs.. and RZA finds the beats that make them sound that little bit better. They're meant to be a CLAN, fuck who makes the beats. Liquid Swords is remembered for GZA, not RZA, same as other solo Wu albums. Let him do his shit and make you a millionaire.

Hip-hop is in NEEEEEEEEEEED of another Wu classic, there are A LOT of fans just waiting for that shit to convert them - like in 93 - and they have a chance to become greatest group in history in EVERYONES mind. New Clan album, and OB4CL2 are VERY important.

2L8Lit da croatianMC
03-02-2007, 07:42 PM
yo i'm deeply feelin the shit you said.

hide1998
05-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Nah, I agree man.

I don' like music a lot of the cats on here like.. My favourite RZA album is "digital bullet", just thought that shit was dope and still play it at parties and shit. bobby Digital In Stereo is good, and so is Birth of a Prince.. I reckon RZA should be excluded, and he ain't even the best MC in the clan!

What I reckon the MAIN problem is, is the production. They all don't want RZA produced albums cause they don't want him being huge, and RZA said he'd be the leader till they took over the world, and they did, and he stopped.

I don't know why, ALL are dope MCs.. and RZA finds the beats that make them sound that little bit better. They're meant to be a CLAN, fuck who makes the beats. Liquid Swords is remembered for GZA, not RZA, same as other solo Wu albums. Let him do his shit and make you a millionaire.

Hip-hop is in NEEEEEEEEEEED of another Wu classic, there are A LOT of fans just waiting for that shit to convert them - like in 93 - and they have a chance to become greatest group in history in EVERYONES mind. New Clan album, and OB4CL2 are VERY important.

I'm strongly co-signing what you typed here. Digital Bullet is my fave RZA CD as well. In fact, it's one of my most played albums ever.

Greenearthman
05-15-2007, 03:35 PM
I Agree, Sometimes i gotta force myself to like the new rza or raekwon. The clan is ill. we all agree. We all know they are capable of better albums. Poor beat selection is major. Most people will like or dislike a song based on the beat. Some new wu album beats seemed like they could have been for any rapper. We need producers that know the emcee, their style, where the wanna take the song,etc.

A lot of wu stuff just seems average, now. I still buy the wu to show support. But cmon, Lex diamond was average, dont front. I love Rae but i know what i like and dont like.

SWAMP WATER
05-26-2007, 04:23 PM

FUCK YOU DA RADIO GOT YA PROGRAMED HOMMIE!

Come Honor Face
05-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Ok there later stuff is not as good as the old stuff. I give you that. However, it's still better than almost all, if not all of the other artists albums. Every album the GZA has ever dropped is fire! Every album RZA has ever dropped is fire! It was all part of RZA's plan to not be as heavily involed after FOREVER. This my friend was inevetebly going to be the result. (check Cuban Links 2) If it ever drops!!!!

SWAMP WATER
05-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Fuck You Again Wutang Albums Bang!

LORD ZERO
05-31-2007, 02:55 PM
wu tang still have it in them to make classic albums, its all about the formula....

and this formula is WU PRODUCERS ONLY, thats a code that shouldnt be broken since theres so many producers in the wu camp, they dont need no one else IMO

Come Honor Face
05-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Fuck You Again Wutang Albums Bang!

That's pretty much what I said nerd!

Fresh Breath
05-31-2007, 05:38 PM
How can Wu-Tang suck at makin albums... Look at 36 chambers!!!

There latest stuff mightnt be as good but they can still make classics if they put there mind to it!!