PDA

View Full Version : 1st album usually the best...

oldie
09-19-2006, 12:09 PM
ive noticed since i first got into Hip-Hop 5 yrs ago dat an artists 1st album is usually the best, probly cos theyre out to prove sumat so they hungry etc

IMO the albums:

Wu-tang - 36 chambers
Nas - illmatic (possibly I am...lol.)
50 Cent - (IMO Guess Who's Back but i heard Power of the Dollar is.)
J5 - J5LP
Meth - Tical
MK - No Said Date
Edan - Primitive Plus
i'd say GZA - Liquid Swords but Words From was his first obv.
ODB - Return to...
RZA - in Stereo
Ghost - Ironman IMO
Rae - OB4CL
U-God - Golden Arms
Eminem - Infinite IMO
Gang Starr - Step In The Arena (im not sure though cos i love this, MoT, Ownerz & Greatest Hits)
Phi-Life Cypher - Millenium Metaphors
Redman - Whut Thee Album
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - M&TSB (not counting all souled out)
Talib Kweli - Quality
Ultramagnetic MC's - Critical Beatdown
Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep

^^^all only from my cd collection, you got any more 1st albums which are the best?!?!?!

THE W
09-19-2006, 12:21 PM
the infamous
silent weapons
last shall be first
heavy mental

cap
09-19-2006, 12:30 PM
the infamous wasnt their first,juvenile hell was

biggie-ready to die
big pun-capital punishment
jigga-reasonable doubt

Dante
09-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Ras Kass - Soul on Ice

Cesar
09-19-2006, 12:40 PM
The Chronic
Shyheim - Selftitled
Doggy Style
The War Report
For All Seasons
The Realnes - Well Cormega albums are always fire...... He never dissapoints

4-Bar Killer
09-19-2006, 12:44 PM
AZ - Do Or Die
Big L - Lifestyles...
D.O.C. - No One Can Do It Better
Eazy-E - Eazy-Duz-It
NWA - Straight Outta Compton

CHRONZ
09-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Onyx - Bacdafucup

-Gambino-
09-19-2006, 12:51 PM
DMX - It's Dark And Hell Is Hot
Mos Def - Black On Both Sides

tacle
09-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Didn't work for 'Pac though did it Gambino.

INF
09-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Now as far as Major releases go........

---Get rich or die tryin.-------

Go ahead and hate............

THE W
09-19-2006, 01:10 PM
the infamous wasnt their first,juvenile hell was

totally forgot about that album. that would be an instance where the 1st being the best isnt true.

ed-word
09-19-2006, 01:11 PM
yeah and then everyone is like that they cant do something on the same lavel anymore, what the hell? some of those guys can't flow any more or pick some god beats for they albums, but they could do that on theyr 1st album, maybe its a disease

INF
09-19-2006, 01:18 PM
It's just cuz you really hungry when you do the first one. You got alot to prove. It comes back around again if you gotta make a comeback. There are many artist that always stay hungry though. Doom has stayed hungry. Grimm has stayed hungry. many others as well ....

Cesar
09-19-2006, 01:26 PM
yeah and then everyone is like that they cant do something on the same lavel anymore, what the hell? some of those guys can't flow any more or pick some god beats for they albums, but they could do that on theyr 1st album, maybe its a disease

I feel you, but all of Cormega's album are excellent, The Realness, The True Meaning, The Testament, and his Compilation Legal Hustle, and the new one Lake & Cormega "My Brothers Keeper". He has been very consistent with his albums, cant wait for Urban Legend to drop.

36chambers
09-19-2006, 01:30 PM
It's just cuz you really hungry when you do the first one. You got alot to prove. It comes back around again if you gotta make a comeback. There are many artist that always stay hungry though. Doom has stayed hungry. Grimm has stayed hungry. many others as well ....

Exactly. Nail on the head.

THE W
09-19-2006, 01:51 PM
its easy to stay hungry when you havent eaten.

doom has yet to really blow up so he's still on the grind looking for his big break.

benzo
09-19-2006, 01:56 PM
After you drop your first album, you're automatically put on some imaginary timeline 'till your next realease. Write, record, promote, tour, repeat. Think about it, up until you drop your first, you have your whole life basically to get that shit together. Meaning no deadlines, no expectations, no sophmore jinx, plus people can't pigeon-hole you because your "sound" (ie: WU 92-97) hasn't been created yet. Nas worked on Illmatic for what, like 3-4 years?

THE W
09-19-2006, 01:59 PM
^expectation is a bitch aint it?

ironmantis
09-19-2006, 02:14 PM
just to flip it the other way, JMT's 2nd album VBD is better in most people's opinions plus Canibus' 4th & 5th albums are better then his 1st (Mic club & Rip The Jacker).

Peace

INF
09-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Which album was JMT's legacy of blood? thats the one i got and wasnt impressed. my producer said the beats was on some gay ballet shit.

snapple
09-19-2006, 03:15 PM
now what have we learned about the hiphop industry from this? and who is to be held responsible?

TAURO
09-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Which album was JMT's legacy of blood? thats the one i got and wasnt impressed. my producer said the beats was on some gay ballet shit.

It was their fourth album and you and your producer don't know shit, yes Vinnie is again on that fuck homos, fuck christians etc.. but Stoupe never failed he came strong.

crass
09-19-2006, 03:46 PM
the best BDP album was "All means necessary," their second

public enemy's best albums came after their first

kool keith's first solo album was "sex style" (i think) and his best is Doctor Octagon which came later

mainly underground artists who don't try to sell a lot of records are the ones who get better rather than worse

Funk_Dock
09-19-2006, 05:59 PM
common anyone...??

the way i see it its pretty balanced. like its been said it depends on how much the artists wants it after the first album u wud hav a little more experience but could get lazy so it goes both ways

ShaDynasty
09-19-2006, 06:43 PM
yea this is true, but that edan album sucks big time
worst rapper ever

oldie
09-19-2006, 07:06 PM
^^what!!! fuck that Edan is crazy!

yrah a few albums psot 1st have benn great e.g PE but ya know, on the whole, its usually 1st IMO!

ShaDynasty
09-19-2006, 07:41 PM
^^what!!! fuck that Edan is crazy!

yrah a few albums psot 1st have benn great e.g PE but ya know, on the whole, its usually 1st IMO!

edan is a fag with an annoying voice who cant rap
hes a fuckin joke

PLO-Stylez
09-19-2006, 08:08 PM
After you drop your first album, you're automatically put on some imaginary timeline 'till your next realease. Write, record, promote, tour, repeat. Think about it, up until you drop your first, you have your whole life basically to get that shit together. Meaning no deadlines, no expectations, no sophmore jinx, plus people can't pigeon-hole you because your "sound" (ie: WU 92-97) hasn't been created yet. Nas worked on Illmatic for what, like 3-4 years?

u are 100% right^^^^^^^^^^

No pressure to get something done and u dont have ppl sayin it has to be as good as everything else

Dante
09-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Redman's best album was his 3rd, his 2nd was his 2nd, and his 3rd was his 1st, dude was getting better after each release, but he lost it after Muddy Waters unfortunatly

benzo
09-20-2006, 11:47 AM
u are 100% right^^^^^^^^^^

No pressure to get something done and u dont have ppl sayin it has to be as good as everything else

Yeah, I really think this is the reason more than most others... Peace-

Polocash7
09-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Little Brother- The Listening
Mos Def- Black on Both Sides
Lil Kim- Hardcore
Deck- US
Jedi Mind Tricks-Violent By Design

Some LPs better than their 1st

Immortal Technique- Vol. 2>Vol.1
Ghost- SC>Ironman
Fugees- The Score>Blunted On Reality
Outkast- Aquemini>Southern...

Kenny Powers
09-20-2006, 05:00 PM
In some cases yes, like college dropout is way better than late registration and Back for the first time is better than Word of Mouf and Chicken and Beer combined, but in other cases like obie trice, Second rounds on me is better than Cheers....

oldie
09-20-2006, 06:55 PM
edan is a fag with an annoying voice who cant rap
hes a fuckin joke

fuck that, Key Bored is skills! Rapperfection & You Suck are ill as well!!!

then Beauty & The Beat was just an all-round nice album IMO, Torture Chamber w/ Percee P was ill!!!

famenchuan
09-20-2006, 10:51 PM
I think it depends on the person.

To me Enter the 36 and wu forever are even cause they both have a different vibe that you cant compare them.

Ironman=Supreme Cliental
Tical 2000>Tical

oldie
09-21-2006, 02:18 PM
^^true but it is just my opinion that on teh whole ive found the 1st is usually the best

as far as wu IMO 36 cant be touched, best album i ever heard by anyone!

ShaDynasty
09-21-2006, 02:29 PM
fuck that, Key Bored is skills! Rapperfection & You Suck are ill as well!!!

then Beauty & The Beat was just an all-round nice album IMO, Torture Chamber w/ Percee P was ill!!!

ehh
i was listening to that album only last week and wondering why the fuck i bought it in the first place
he has the gayest song ever at the end of the album, about takin emcees out and bein frends and buying them ice cream and shit
"dont eat a burger have some broccoli eat this carrot, made of carrotine, yo i wont act embarrassing"
his lyrics are fuckin homo on all the tracks, mr lif shits on his hair

run that shit is the most stupid song ive ever heard, the album is like a course in how not to rap

oldie
09-21-2006, 02:49 PM
pfftt...this calls for...

tancen
09-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Gang Starr - Step In The Arena (im not sure though cos i love this, MoT, Ownerz & Greatest Hits)

Gangstarr's first was no more mr nice guy

oldie
09-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Gangstarr's first was no more mr nice guy

shit yeah it was! ive been after that shit for time! how could i forget