PDA

View Full Version : Ironman - RDJ

pneumatic
10-02-2006, 08:30 AM
It has been announced all over the place (CNN, Sci Fi Wire, Aint It Cool News) that Robert Downey Jr has been cast as Tony Stark/Iron Man.

It would be nice if Ghost got at least a cameon in this film.

Dokuro
10-02-2006, 04:16 PM
as long as he play his side kick what his name that guy in the gray armer

shit i dont know much about comics

pneumatic
10-03-2006, 07:43 AM
War Machine?

snapple
10-03-2006, 09:58 AM
if robert downy and ghost connected one word....

fishscale.

Wu-Tality
10-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Haha that would be MADDD illll!!! Ghost should make a cameo as some high chief in Starks Enterprise. Or someone with a t-shirt of ghost or something.

Sexy Jasper
10-03-2006, 11:16 AM
This topic gets the donkey punch award.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e176/bub34us/donkeypunch1.jpg

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
10-03-2006, 09:40 PM
http://www.splashcomics.de/images/portraits/charaktere/whoiswho_wiedergeburt_ironman_1.jpg

IGN FilmForce has learned that screenwriter David Hayter's latest draft of Iron Man has won over New Line Cinema and the studio is immediately going out with it to directors who can get the film up and running by early 2005!
Sources advised IGNFF that this draft of Iron Man is very Tom Clancy-esque in tone and involves the conflict between Tony Stark and his father Howard over Stark Industries. The Armored Avenger's origin has been updated from the Vietnam back story used in the comics.

Actors like Tom Cruise and Nicolas Cage have been mentioned for the project over the years but with Cruise now busy doing War of the Worlds and Cage prepping for Ghost Rider, New Line has several other movie stars in mind.

Iron Man is produced by Avi Arad and Kevin Feige of Marvel Studios, who are currently on the set of Fantastic Four in Vancouver, and Don Murphy of Angryfilms, who is also busy with DreamWorks/Paramount's live-action feature version of The Transformers, which is slated for a summer 2006 release.

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
10-03-2006, 09:41 PM
After being peppered with e-mails from curious readers, IGN FilmForce has discovered who the villain will be in New Line Cinema's Iron Man movie. The project is now on the fast-track after New Line fell for David Hayter's rewrite. The studio is sending the script out to directors who can get production underway sometime in early 2005.

IGNFF has learned that, although he was in earlier drafts of the screenplay, the villain will not be The Mandarin, who is the Armored Avenger's arch-enemy in the Marvel comic. Instead, the nemesis in the film will be Howard Stark, the military industrialist father of title character Tony Stark.

Earlier reports have revealed that Tony's origin will be "completely different" in the movie than the Vietnam War-era one of the comics. Previous Iron Man screenwriter Miles Millar advised Wizard Magazine that Tony is "not really in touch with where his money comes from, unaware that his wealth lies from weapons, and that history comes back to haunt him. ... It's a great arc for a character to begin with, this selfish reckless playboy, that in the end becomes a hero."

Last summer, Marvel Studios CEO and Iron Man exec producer Avi Arad advised Cinescape Magazine that "Iron Man is about a kid whose father was bigger-than-life and he felt like, 'What's in it for me?' ... Then he loses his parents and never got to say a kind word to [his father] like, 'Dad, I admire you and I love you and I didn't mean to be an [expletive]."

Now this part is just speculation but it makes sense from a business standpoint to not use The Mandarin as the villain. After all, the character could be viewed as politically incorrect or worse. But more importantly, the role of Howard Stark opens up the possibility of casting another star alongside whomever wins the title role. Expect a major star to be courted to play Tony.

Iron Man is slated for a 2006 release.

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
10-03-2006, 09:41 PM
IGN FilmForce has unearthed a few more exclusive details about New Line Cinema's Iron Man movie to be produced by Marvel Studios and Angry Films. The project is now out to directors who can get production underway by sometime in early 2005 for a 2006 release. David Hayter penned the latest draft of the screenplay.

Yesterday we broke the news that The Mandarin is no longer the villain of the movie. Instead, protagonist Tony Stark will face-off against his own father, military industrialist Howard Stark.

So what characters from the comics besides Tony can fans expect to see in the movie? IGNFF can confirm that Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes will be in it. Fans will recall that Rhodes was a Marine pilot who went to work for Stark International as Tony's personal pilot and chief aviation engineer. He later assumed the mantle of Iron Man when Tony succumbed to alcoholism. After Stark beat the bottle and became the Armored Avenger once again, Rhodes donned his own suit of armor as War Machine.

While we don't know for certain what function Rhodey will serve in the story, we do know that he will work for Stark.

And what of Tony's love interest? It will be none other than Bethany Cabe. In the comics, Bethany was Stark's security advisor and personal bodyguard. Tony's secretary Virginia "Pepper" Potts was the love interest in previous drafts by Jeff Vintar and Miles Millar & Alfred Gough

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
10-03-2006, 09:42 PM
New Line Cinema's eclectic slate of upcoming films were profiled by Variety over the weekend. One interesting albeit brief mention was made of the studio's long-gestating live-action version of Marvel Comics' Iron Man, and it didn't bode well for the studio.

"Marvel superhero Iron Man looks likely to revert back to the comicbook publisher after more than two years of fruitless development [at New Line]," according to Variety.

This is in line with rumblings IGN FilmForce has heard over the last few months. The gist of the situation is that Marvel has been waiting out New Line's option on the material, hoping for a better deal from them. If not then Marvel could take the project elsewhere.

What such a move would mean for David Hayter's screenplay and the involvement of director Nick Cassavetes and production company Angry Films remains to be seen. Perhaps they will all remain attached to it.

Sources advised IGN FilmForce that they don't believe New Line will let Iron Man go so perhaps it's not too late for a deal to be struck.

So which studio might Iron Man end up at? This is where we veer into the realm of speculation. The most likely possibility is that Iron Man becomes part of the much ballyhooed Marvel-Paramount co-venture. In fact, while addressing fans at this summer's Comic-Con panel on the Ghost Rider movie, Marvel Studios chief Avi Arad listed Iron Man among the projects that were part of that deal.

I investigated the matter with Arad's camp who advised me that he most likely misspoke due to exhaustion but Arad seemed lucid enough to me. Other sources advised IGN FilmForce that the project was basically stalled pending the resolution of New Line's option on the material.

It is interesting to note that Tom Cruise has long wanted to play Tony Stark but reportedly couldn't make a deal with New Line or work out his busy schedule to fit in the project. Cruise is very much part of the Paramount family, having starred in their successful Mission: Impossible franchise, as well as Top Gun. If Iron Man does indeed leave New Line and end up at Paramount, one wonders if Cruise might be reapproached.

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
10-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Variety has confirmed that Marvel Studios has indeed reclaimed its long-gestating Iron Man feature film from New Line Cinema, where it has languished for several years. And, as IGN FilmForce first suggested, Iron Man could become part of Marvel's slate of films currently in development for distribution through Paramount.

"Right now we're concentrating on finding the right creative talent," Marvel Studios chief Avi Arad advised the trade. "It's not a part of our slate deal, but we can raise the money to do it if we choose to. We would also have no difficulty licensing it to another studio."

Variety reports that "Marvel will now start development from scratch, commissioning a new script and possibly attaching a director before deciding whether to finance the pic itself or license it again."

Earlier drafts were penned by Alfred Gough & Miles Millar and David Hayter. Previously reported helmer Nick Cassavetes (he never actually inked a deal) may still be in the picture.

Also still onboard, according to Variety, is producer Don Murphy of Angry Films

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
10-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Marvel Studios has hired Jon Favreau to develop and direct the big-screen adaptation of Iron Man and has attracted an impressive roster of writers to help bring some of its high-profile characters such as Captain America and Thor to the big screen.

The Hollywood Reporter says Favreau will direct a feature version of Marvel's armored hero and develop the script with the writing team of Arthur Marcum and Matt Holloway (Convoy). The project originally was set up at New Line with Nick Cassavetes directing.

In the comic, Iron Man's real identity is that of billionaire industrialist Tony Stark, who develops an armored suit that lets him fly and shoot "repulsor rays". The comic debuted in the 1960s, and Iron Man's origin involved Stark being a prisoner of the Viet Cong. The comic evolved into Stark fighting spies, both political and industrial, while also battling alcoholism

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
10-03-2006, 09:44 PM
http://oneshot.anifics.com/xmen/Ironman_mvc2.jpg
Director Jon Favreau recently spoke to MTV about his plans for the big-screen debut of Marvel Comics' Iron Man. "It's the first movie Marvel is self-financing," the helmer said. "We're set to come out in the summer of '08, and we'll start shooting in January."

Favreau said the story will be contemporary, although it will pay homage to the character's 1960s roots. "We're gonna have it take place in the present day, but there will be an origin story that has the old, gray Iron Man suit; eventually it will progress into more of the modern look," he revealed. "That's the fun of doing the first one."

The filmmaker also told MTV that Iron Man will not deal with Tony Stark's alcoholism, at least not in the first film. "I think we're going to lay the groundwork for it, but the first one's going to explore him taking on this alter ego of Iron Man, and developing the suit, and what happens politically within the Stark Corporation."

Favreau also advised fans not to expect a big-name star like Tom Cruise to play the Armored Avenger, citing the example of casting lesser known thesps like Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man or Brandon Routh as Superman.

"What's nice is that those movies don't require an expensive star; Iron Man's the star, the superhero is the star," he said. "The success of X-Men and Spider-Man without being star-driven pieces reassures [executives] that the film does have an upside commercially."

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
10-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Variety reports that Iron Man is the first 2008 summer tentpole to claim a firm release date. While Marvel has yet to nail down financing for the big screen adaptation, the movie is set for a May 2, 2008 release. Jon Favreau directs.

When Marvel set up the $525 million credit facility for its 10-picture slate with Merrill Lynch in April 2005, the company had yet to re-acquire rights to The Hulk from Universal and Iron Man from New Line.

According to terms of the agreement, Marvel can attach new characters to the loan but must receive permission from Merrill Lynch. Marvel general counsel John Turitzin said the company expects to start talks on Iron Man soon and hopes to secure permission in the fall, sometime before the film is officially greenlit and starts production late this year or early 2007.

Marvel currently has two separate writing teams -- Matt Hollaway and Art Markum (Convoy), and Mark Fergus and Hawk Otsby (First Snow) -- working on drafts.

Iron Man director Jon Favreau confirmed at the San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday that the villain in the movie will be fan-favorite Mandarin!

The Mandarin is one of the world's greatest scientific geniuses who is seeking world domination. Although The Mandarin has no superhuman powers, he is a superb athlete with tremendous skill in the various martial arts. For weapons, he uses ten rings he wears on his fingers that respond to his mental commands.

Marvel Studios has set a May 2, 2008 release date for Iron Man. Paramount Pictures will distribute the film.

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
10-03-2006, 09:45 PM
http://www.gearcritech.com/images/update072406_IronMan_poster2.jpg
No, this isn't some poster for a band that made an excellent song back in the 70s; this is a brand new poster straight out of ComicCon for Iron Man.

How is this not going to be awesome?

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
10-03-2006, 09:47 PM
A few days ago there was word that reached my ears about the role of Tony Stark in Jon Favreau's IRON MAN being offered to a very interesting actor. The word was that IRON MAN was being offered to HUSTLE & FLOW's Terrence Howard. That rumor was bizarre, yet somehow fitting. In the recent interview I did with Jon Favreau at Comic-Con, he told me that he was looking for a great actor that hadn't hit it huge yet, a name that wouldn't overshadow the title of the film. Howard fit that bill.
So, I checked in with sources deep within Paramount and Marvel to see if I could confirm this weird rumor. Besides having the perfect mustache for the role, I think a lot of fans wouldn't have been able to get around the racial difference, much like they didn't get behind Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin in DAREDEVIL.
I finally got one of my sources to tell me that Terrence Howard was indeed offered a role in IRON MAN, but not that of Tony Stark.
Going over my interview again, Favreau listed off a number of IRON MAN regulars who would appear in the film. The obvious conclusion I reached was that Terrence Howard was offered the role of James Rhodes, good friend to Tony Stark and future bearer of the armor and IRON MAN identity. He became known as War Machine after Stark reclaimed the name and suit.
So, that's the word. Terrence Howard has been offered the role of James Rhodes in the IRON MAN film. No guarantee he'll take it, but I think Howard is one of the most interesting actors working in the business today and his presence in the film will only make it better. Especially if we get to see Howard don a super suit in this film (or sequels) and kick some ass. What do you folks think?

-AICN.com

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
10-03-2006, 09:48 PM
AICN EXCLUSIVE!! IRON MAN Has Found Its Tony Stark!!

Hey, everyone. ”Moriarty” here.

Just got off the phone with Harry. It seems that the spies are out in force this year at Fantastic Fest, and one guy in particular sidled up to Knowles to tell him that there’s a lead actor now for IRON MAN. THE FOUNTAIN was about to start. Harry was about to go up onstage to do the intro. Then the guy told Harry what he told him, and Harry decided to call me before he started the proceedings.

“Is your guy that sure, Harry?” I asked.

“I hear there will be a trade break tomorrow,” Harry said. He told me a few other things the spy said off-the-record, and it certainly sounds like this guy’s the real deal. “Now I have to go because 250 people are staring at me wondering what I’m talking on my phone about.”

Brace yourselves for what happens when someone makes the right choice for once.

Tony Stark will be played by Robert Downey, Jr.

I can’t even express how much I love that choice. First of all, congratulations to Paramount and Marvel for having the nerve to pin their franchise on Downey. He’s had some rough years, but if I’ve ever seen anyone aggressively work to rehab their career, it’s Downey. Even in his darkest days, he was doing good work, but lately he seems more in touch than ever with what makes him great as a performer. He’s excellent with comedy, and he can break an audience’s heart with ease. Rare combination.

And when the franchise finally gets into some of Tony Stark’s darkest hours, when he faces down his own demons in the second film or the third, can you imagine how much soul Downey can bring to it? If handled right, that’s some of the most potent dramatic material in any Marvel movie, and now they’ve got the right actor to make it all work.

Congratulation, Favreau and Paramount and Marvel. Can’t wait.

shaolinsword
10-04-2006, 02:55 AM
just to go off topic - sorry- isn't david hayter the voice of solid snake?