PDA

View Full Version : Will Today's Hip-Hop Spawn a New Genre of Music?

Tetsuo
10-04-2006, 03:59 AM
Does anyone else think that contemporary mainstream Hip-Hop will break off into a new genre of music alla Disco to Soul? Think about it. Rapping is the least important aspect of any Rap song today. All you really need is a catchy beat and a catchy hook. Maybe rapping altogether will be discarded and somehow the hook+catchy beat formula will be taken to new extremes. We're already seeing it happen. Look at a rapper like Juelz. In most of his songs he's just rhyming the hook with variations here and there. I don't believe Hip-Hop is dead, I just think it's giving birth to a weaker version of itself.

PANDA PISS
10-04-2006, 04:02 AM
this has already happened:
Snap, Crunk, Grime, Garage, Rap-Rock, Rap-Metal

rzarazorrzarazorsharp
10-04-2006, 04:44 AM
Does anyone else think that contemporary mainstream Hip-Hop will break off into a new genre of music alla Disco to Soul? Think about it. Rapping is the least important aspect of any Rap song today. All you really need is a catchy beat and a catchy hook. Maybe rapping altogether will be discarded and somehow the hook+catchy beat formula will be taken to new extremes. We're already seeing it happen. Look at a rapper like Juelz. In most of his songs he's just rhyming the hook with variations here and there. I don't believe Hip-Hop is dead, I just think it's giving birth to a weaker version of itself.

its funny i was discussing this the other day with a friend in a different sense....it has already broken off to another genre...instead of allowing us to destroy and rebuild in hopes of saving hip hop they've labeled us underground heads something else....INDIE. Which really gets on my nerves that they've classified our most purest form of hip hop by labeling it (in a sense) "not Hip Hop, they just own they're own bussness". Whether independent or signed in any sense its still hip hop...and yet they have the nerve to try to rule us out.

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-04-2006, 11:12 AM
It already has/did. As soon as the sampling laws and copyright laws came in all the 90's hip hop went out the window. The Neptunes are the new sound of hip hop and they aint ever used a sample.

Tetsuo
10-04-2006, 04:50 PM
this has already happened:
Snap, Crunk, Grime, Garage, Rap-Rock, Rap-Metal

I don't mean a sub-Genre. I mean a genre that has entirely broken off from its root. Rock evolved from Jazz, but nobody considers them synomous. I don't believe Rap is going to disappear entirely, but I predict it will become eclipsed by another form of music that will retain only vague elements of Hip-Hop.

PANDA PISS
10-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I don't mean a sub-Genre. I mean a genre that has entirely broken off from its root. Rock evolved from Jazz, but nobody considers them synomous. I don't believe Rap is going to disappear entirely, but I predict it will become eclipsed by another form of music that will retain only vague elements of Hip-Hop.

i honestly dont think that will happen
hip hop will get more commercialized, and real rappers will go to the underground. i think hip hop will be here forever like jazz
but time will tell

The Ghost
10-04-2006, 04:55 PM
It may but i don't see it happening soon. I'd give it another 5-10 years. But when you look at music itself everytype of music has a certain time period in which it was popular. I believe the rap "phase" is almost coming to an end. After rap will be something else just like with the last 40 years of music.

INF
10-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Hip hop frankenstein I be. Turn the game the other way so that it can't see. Infinity. You best believe. Makin a mockery of half ass MC's. If you let it be then I let it bleed. Also know that this thing goes on in 3's. Spawn a new genre of music just for tha seeds. uhhhh.....:W

oDoUoSoKo
10-04-2006, 06:52 PM
reGAYton

12weLvE
10-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Yeah...
I call the new genre: WACK!!! Seriously fuck all this snapping music. I mean it was okay at first, but now there is just ot much of it. Nowadays I am scared to flip though the channels, thats why I never stop on BET.

Cesar
10-04-2006, 07:09 PM
As long as there is Ghetto's, HOods & Struggle, Hip Hop will never die.....

PLO-Stylez
10-04-2006, 07:16 PM
yeah it will break into club music and hip hop and we will all be happy that the majority of this shit they currently label hip hop wont be considered it anymore.
^^^^^^^^^^like that will happen

the genre will just hopefully evolve back to more of an art form in the mainstream after ppl get sick of the same damn thing. But i really dont care that much because real hip hop is still alive and well in the underground. It just pisses me off that it doesnt sell and gets the a bad label that pop rap gives hip hop in general.

But the genre just needs some leadership to step up and say this is wack WTF are u doing listening to it. But as long as money is involved it wont change

oLd_KaiNry
10-04-2006, 07:24 PM
damn this is wierd

i wonder if my kids will love the type of rap i love or they will say the same thing i say about my parents when they listening to crap like led zeppelin

im pretty sure a new genre of music will pop out of hiphop sooner or later but id be suprised to see hiphop dead in 10-20 years...

GhostfaceThaPharoahe
10-04-2006, 08:05 PM
not a matter of a new genre, more or less just a case of misclassification, this shit that is coming out should not be labled hiphop, but rather pop music because that is what it is