PDA

View Full Version : Afrika Bambaataa Issues A Statement To Rap Artists Of All Regions

7EL7
10-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Afrika Bambaataa Issues A Statement To Rap Artists Of All Regions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The legendary Afrika Bambaataa and his organization The Zulu Nation recently sent this statement to our brother and good friend Jazzy D for all of the rappers from every coast or region to read:

I, Afrika Bambaataa, have heard it all, read it all, in many magazines throughout the world, and seen almost all in this continuing bullshit about which rappers are better, east coast v west coast, Miami bass hip-hop is bullshit, British Rappers sound funny rapping, electro funk, techno rappers are soft, I like hardcore rap and beats, this one group is like that, old school vs new school, Rap wouldn't be rap if it wasn't for the battles, I'm the quickest, baddest rapper, deejay around, Go Go music in Washington D. C. is dead. It's all about hip-house or house music all night long. I dis you, you dis me, my crew will take you out or kick your ass, fuck this or that, Nigger, Bitch, Nigguz, Nigguh, Hoe, Hooker, Bitches with Problems, Hoes with Attitudes.

Just look at yourselves, sounding like a bunch of fools, who really don't have any true knowledge of self and knowledge of hip-hop culture and what it's all about. First of all, let me tell you that the music (beats) that makes up hip-hop, comes from different nationalities and races, especially from black people, and if you think I am a brother who don't know what he is talking about, just check out many of the music, beats, grooves and sounds that many of your rappers use to make their records or rap over. Hip-hop music in general is colorless and not racist. It comes from many categories in music, for example: Hip-hop music is made up from other forms of music like funk, soul, rhythm & blues, jazz, rock heavy l, salsa, soca (calypso), TV shows, kiddie shows, horror movies, techno, pop, disco, african, arabic, reggae -etc. . . . and if you use any records from these categories, you will see that the music is made by people from different races or nationalities from all over the planet, but it's roots start with ...............

READ THE REST HERE :

http://www.publicenemy.com/pb/viewtopic.php?t=32069

http://www.westcoastrydaz.com/news/10051/

MsRzaRecTaH
10-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for that info

MaShPG
10-09-2006, 06:57 PM
It don't matter though...I'll say it cause ya'll are too "respectful" to. Nobody gives a fuck what Afrika Bambaataa has to say. What you think Ms. Peachz is gonna hear this shit and reanalyze her life? Now if Jay-Z were to say this shit, or somebody else with present street cred, it might make a difference. But the people who Bam is talking about have no clue who he is.

BLACKNEFERTITI07
10-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks for that info

^^^^co-sign. howdy doody sis. :point: :point: :point:

Ozmosis
10-09-2006, 07:03 PM
It don't matter though...I'll say it cause ya'll are too "respectful" to. Nobody gives a fuck what Afrika Bambaataa has to say. What you think Ms. Peachz is gonna hear this shit and reanalyze her life? Now if Jay-Z were to say this shit, or somebody else with present street cred, it might make a difference. But the people who Bam is talking about have no clue who he is.

true...

TeknicelStylez
10-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Na white kids from the suburbs don't know who the fuck bambaataa is, any rapper in the industries knows and gives a fuck what bambaataa has to say, they aint that stupid.

MaShPG
10-09-2006, 08:03 PM
My point is this, many Hip Hop pioneers have released statements condeming the current state of Hip Hop. But today's generation considers these old schoolers washed up and outsiders of the Hip Hop community. That's why for a change to actually happen, a respected rapper currently in the game (Jay-Z is the best example, Nas...can't think of many others) needs to say something.

The problem is, the people that have the power to say something positive and make a difference, are saying something negative...and maybe that's why they have that power, I dunno.

But Afrika Bambaata can not be the savior of today's Hip Hop.

THE W
10-09-2006, 08:09 PM
thank you for that APSU,

the ignorance of the history of hiphop culture and the polarity that goes on between fans and artists is a huge problem.

7EL7
10-09-2006, 09:11 PM
My point is this, many Hip Hop pioneers have released statements condeming the current state of Hip Hop. But today's generation considers these old schoolers washed up and outsiders of the Hip Hop community. That's why for a change to actually happen, a respected rapper currently in the game (Jay-Z is the best example, Nas...can't think of many others) needs to say something.

The problem is, the people that have the power to say something positive and make a difference, are saying something negative...and maybe that's why they have that power, I dunno.

But Afrika Bambaata can not be the savior of today's Hip Hop.

Todays generation of Hip Hop heads do know and respect Bam

if they don't, they are not a part of the Hip Hop community/family

respected rappers currently in the game respect bam and do say alot in alot of places and changes do take place - not everyone notices these changes
The Hip Hop summits are a big deal
The Zulu Nation anniversaries are a big deal
alot is taken place and there are a few other worlds that the Hip Hop community built
We need more to switch over - so Bam makes his statement and its a good thing - those who understand the words will move forward on what he's saying

Urban_Journalz
10-09-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm with APSU and MASH on this one.
The newer generation doesn't even know about Wu-Tang, with the exception of Meth. How can you expect them to know about one of the pioneers??! It's not only talking about the current state of the culture but blastin' the classics on our systems and cars. I had to e-mail a so-called "hip-hop" video show they have out here every Sunday and tell them how tired the videos they were playin' were. I wasn't nice about it, nor did I bite my tounge. Due to that, though he still plays trash, he manages to squeeze in Knarls Barkely here and last night I actually saw Talib Kweli's video on there. Now, in The South, THESE days, those are big steps.

Still, with Bam sayin' what he said, and those of us who feel what he's sayin', it's up to us to act upon it. That's why him and a lot of others have spoken upon it because they KNOW we're listening.
You can't just say, "Yea, he's right." When you're out in the street and somebody asks you if you've heard the new "50 Cent" or "Dip-Set" song, you gotta be harsh with 'em Act like that noise (cuz it ain't music) is an abomination. Be like, "NO!! What you listenin' to that trash for anyway?!! The beats are weak the rhymes are nursery and in 5 years, them cats won't be around!!!"

Stand and Deliver cuz that's what Bam and everybody like him is askin' us to do.

Peace

THE W
10-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Todays generation of Hip Hop heads do know and respect Bam

if they don't, they are not a part of the Hip Hop community/family

then i guess a lot of people arent part of the hiphop community/family.

7EL7
10-09-2006, 09:43 PM
then i guess a lot of people arent part of the hiphop community/family.

Bingo

alot of people would love to feel like they are though

with a lil education they all will be

7EL7
10-09-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm with APSU and MASH on this one.
The newer generation doesn't even know about Wu-Tang.

the newer generation of metal fans ?

You can't just say, "Yea, he's right." When you're out in the street and somebody asks you if you've heard the new "50 Cent" or "Dip-Set" song, you gotta be harsh with 'em Act like that noise (cuz it ain't music) is an abomination. Be like, "NO!! What you listenin' to that trash for anyway?!!

50 and Dip set is a part of the Hip Hop community

and i'm shure Bam would agree

The beats are weak the rhymes are nursery and in 5 years, them cats won't be around!!!"

some great Hip Hop artist didn't stay around long either

MaShPG
10-09-2006, 10:04 PM
What I'm saying is this. If you want to change Hip Hop, you need to change the youth. You need to change the generation that Hip Hop is supposedly (ya'll doing a shitty job so far) being passed down to. And the way to do this is not by some 40+ year old guy who used to dress like he was on acid and spin some weird shit (I love Bam, but <<< that's what kids my age think). The people that Bam is trying to reach will never read this. He's preaching to the choir.

And if you wanna say, "If ya don't know Bam, you're not Hip Hop." Then Hip Hop will die in the next 10 years, cause nobody my age knows about Bam or the history.

Bam saying this means nothing. We already knew all of it. And the only people he is trying to reach aren't listening.

So now you ask how can we make a difference? Well...either a respected (by my generation) rapper will step up and say this (don't count on it)....or we gotta do this ourselves. We must personally talk to the youth, and try to get them listening to some good music. Don't tell me it's impossible, cause I used to listen to shitty music until an older guy converted me. That's how it's gotta be done. That's the problem with Hip Hop, is that instead of passing the culture down, you old folks are just complaining about what it's become today.

TeknicelStylez
10-09-2006, 10:24 PM
50 and Dip set is a part of the Hip Hop community

and i'm shure Bam would agree

Agreed, see the problem is people feel like they're a part of the hip hop community just because they don't listen to commercial rap. Thats not the case either, if you never been to a rap oriented community or seen an inner city ghetto how the fuck you going to know what people are rapping about. Dipset does alot for the community, if you go to Harlem you'll see that Dipset does more for the community than the mayor himself. You just see the image potrayed on T.V. of these people, you don't know what they're really all about. You probably didn't know that there's 5% roots in dipset, and some of the members are muslim.

You can't shun people out just because they get air time on the radio. Or because they rap about things you disagree with. Bambaataa wasn't implying that he doesn't want to hear gangster rap anymore or that he's sick of G-Unit. He said he's upset with the disassociation of the hip hop community. He's sick of people like you pointing they're fingers going I can't stand this motherfucker, this aint real music, and them pointing their fingers back going that music is outdates blablabla. He wants people to unify and respect hip hop for the universal music that it is. How in one genre you can have 2 completely opposite tastes, an arrayed spectrum of music, something for everybody. He wants us to appreciate hip hop not change it or get rid of the way people rap or anything like that, he just wants us to be unified for a greater cause, to use hip hop to bring people together like when he helped start the damn thing.

Urban_Journalz
10-09-2006, 10:56 PM
I can't stand DipSet. They got 5% roots, big deal. They aren't showing any part of that knowledge in their music. I'm from N.Y. and I know what they do for Harlem. The problem is they make music that teaches the youth how to do nothing more than spot the next girl or waste a paycheck on the latest pair of kicks. So they're basically throwin' stones and hidin' their hands. Yea, it's a part of the culture, but that doesn't mean I have to support or accept what they're about. Personally, I'm about uplifting the minds and unification. What you do or don't say in your songs lets me know if you're about the same thing. As most cats are onl yout to make a dollar, some will do things like help the community here and there just to be able to say they did.

I could care less about air time on the radio. OutKast still gets airplay and I don't talk trash about them OutKast is flat out great music though. PLUS they uplift the mind in a lot of what they say as well.

People like Dipset and 50 may talk about what goes on in the hood, but a lot of it is directed toward glorification thereof. Which you know damn well is wrong. The other half is directed toward the club. Like we haven't been there before. It's weak and disposable music. It's NOT classic and it's NOT dope. That's what I mean by 5 years down the road no one will miss them. Some good hip-hop acts went that route, but the true heads still buy those albums and download the songs. They don't go to the next carbon-copy who's only a flash in the pan.

It's about substance. That's what I got from what Bam said. If you remember that this music belongs to the world, and if you honestly have a love fot it, you'll treat it as an art. Not as a get-rich-quick scheme. Bam would admit that 50, Lil John and the rest of these tired acts are part of the community. AND!??!?! You said that to say what?? That's like saying I should like a belt-drive turntable because of the fact that it's a turntable. DAMN the fact that if I scratch on this thing, the belt's gonna pop, which makes it a weak machine as compared to a direct-drive turntable.

Say what you will. I think acts like that are part of the reason why Hip-Hop is where it's at right now. People are o concerned with what's popular that substance doesn't matter to them. Cats like this are steadily racing eachother to copy the 99 acts before hem that came with the same formula and so the masses are bombarded with straight up trash.

Say what you will, I'm never gonna stop shunnin' these pathetic, pseudo-emcees. Their poison. I didn't grow up on it and I'm not crossin' over. That's another problem, people being o.k. with the very things that are making society blissfully stupid as a whole.

YOU may be able to accept these merry-go-round beats and recycled flows, but don't expect a lot of other people to just based on this, "can't we all just get along" thing. The music is garbage. I'm only 22, but I know for a fact that when this music was sticking to it's formula, cats like Dipset and 50 would've been clowned daily for this bull that they call themselves spittin'.
opularity and acceptance doesn't turn wrong into right.

The next time you hear a 5 yr. old quotin' one of those wretched songs, remember that it's because somebody else sat back and said, "That's o.k. it's all part of life." Another generation of stupid, collar-poppin', gold-grill rockin' morons is on the rise because we'd all rather bend over and take it with a peace flag in hand.

It's a vicious cycle. The mothers are gettin' younger and teh babies are gettin' sicker and stupider because mama's too busy out clubbin' to properly feed and teach her children. Pops isn't around because he's got 4 other babie's mama's around that he's duckin' as well. All because that way of life is made pleasing abd glamourus to the listener.

I could give a damn how much they're 'a part of the community'. What they promote is wrong. You think the children follow the example of a few thousand dollars thrown into the community, or what they see in these God-awful videos??

Whatever though man. I know why I'm in this and I'm gonna seriously piss a lot of people off when I get there, but to Hell with it and them too. I'd rather have love from a true minority, than a fake majority.

TeknicelStylez
10-09-2006, 11:54 PM
First off, I based my statement on building, you came out of left field and started attacking me and other people.

Relax, deep breaths mang.

The problem of mother leaving there kids to go off to clubs, or people buying expensive sneakers instead of stuff they need, or little kids running the streets wild, or whatever problem you can imagine in your mind is associated with modern day rap, has been here waaaaaaaaay waaaaay way way before dipset or g-unit, when rakim was banging hip hop out like a champion and acing verses, dropping knowledge, he still had a gold chain on, fresh flat top, some nice sneakers, and all that shit. He still rapped about selling drugs and doing other shit in the street. Nothings change mang, it's the same fucking thing as the 90's or the 80's or however far you wanna take it back. The hood will be and more than likely always will be the hood, not because of rap music, or television, or whatever other excuse you can come up with. It's that way because thats how it was designed to be, it was made that way so you can retire home to your middle-upper class household and not worry about people shooting and selling drugs in YOUR neighborhood.

I don't even like dipset, I don't listen to it, I don't listen to g-unit or any of that stuff for that matter. But I realize it has a place in hip hop and I realize that each one of those artists has specific talents which you may or may not recognize which makes them decent-good emcees. Hip Hop is not a strict lyrics thing, there is alot of elements in it. And if you don't like the music thats perfectly fine, I don't like it either, but I'm not going to give myself an ulcer because it exists...

Just calm down, noones here to argue with anybody.

7EL7
10-10-2006, 12:13 AM
Agreed, see the problem is people feel like they're a part of the hip hop community just because they don't listen to commercial rap.

i been looking for these words for a while

they feel everyone has to be like talib and common

what most don't know is that alot of your conscious rappers/Mcs is full of shit back stage
and the ones that be on that bling bling shit be on the front lines making real shit happen

THE W
10-10-2006, 12:20 AM
The problem of mother leaving there kids to go off to clubs, or people buying expensive sneakers instead of stuff they need, or little kids running the streets wild, or whatever problem you can imagine in your mind is associated with modern day rap, has been here waaaaaaaaay waaaaay way way before dipset or g-unit, when rakim was banging hip hop out like a champion and acing verses, dropping knowledge, he still had a gold chain on, fresh flat top, some nice sneakers, and all that shit. He still rapped about selling drugs and doing other shit in the street. Nothings change mang, it's the same fucking thing as the 90's or the 80's or however far you wanna take it back. The hood will be and more than likely always will be the hood, not because of rap music, or television, or whatever other excuse you can come up with. It's that way because thats how it was designed to be, it was made that way so you can retire home to your middle-upper class household and not worry about people shooting and selling drugs in YOUR neighborhood.

i dont believe he is saying hiphop started these problems but rather it perpetuates them.

TeknicelStylez
10-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Understandable, but the people who are rapping about this shit are simply products of the problem.

7EL7
10-10-2006, 12:29 AM
I can't stand DipSet. They got 5% roots, big deal. They aren't showing any part of that knowledge in their music. I'm from N.Y. and I know what they do for Harlem. The problem is they make music that teaches the youth how to do nothing more than spot the next girl or waste a paycheck on the latest pair of kicks. So they're basically throwin' stones and hidin' their hands. Yea, it's a part of the culture, but that doesn't mean I have to support or accept what they're about. Personally, I'm about uplifting the minds and unification. What you do or don't say in your songs lets me know if you're about the same thing. As most cats are onl yout to make a dollar, some will do things like help the community here and there just to be able to say they did.

I could care less about air time on the radio. OutKast still gets airplay and I don't talk trash about them OutKast is flat out great music though. PLUS they uplift the mind in a lot of what they say as well.

People like Dipset and 50 may talk about what goes on in the hood, but a lot of it is directed toward glorification thereof. Which you know damn well is wrong. The other half is directed toward the club. Like we haven't been there before. It's weak and disposable music. It's NOT classic and it's NOT dope. That's what I mean by 5 years down the road no one will miss them. Some good hip-hop acts went that route, but the true heads still buy those albums and download the songs. They don't go to the next carbon-copy who's only a flash in the pan.

It's about substance. That's what I got from what Bam said. If you remember that this music belongs to the world, and if you honestly have a love fot it, you'll treat it as an art. Not as a get-rich-quick scheme. Bam would admit that 50, Lil John and the rest of these tired acts are part of the community. AND!??!?! You said that to say what?? That's like saying I should like a belt-drive turntable because of the fact that it's a turntable. DAMN the fact that if I scratch on this thing, the belt's gonna pop, which makes it a weak machine as compared to a direct-drive turntable.

Say what you will. I think acts like that are part of the reason why Hip-Hop is where it's at right now. People are o concerned with what's popular that substance doesn't matter to them. Cats like this are steadily racing eachother to copy the 99 acts before hem that came with the same formula and so the masses are bombarded with straight up trash.

Say what you will, I'm never gonna stop shunnin' these pathetic, pseudo-emcees. Their poison. I didn't grow up on it and I'm not crossin' over. That's another problem, people being o.k. with the very things that are making society blissfully stupid as a whole.

YOU may be able to accept these merry-go-round beats and recycled flows, but don't expect a lot of other people to just based on this, "can't we all just get along" thing. The music is garbage. I'm only 22, but I know for a fact that when this music was sticking to it's formula, cats like Dipset and 50 would've been clowned daily for this bull that they call themselves spittin'.

The next time you hear a 5 yr. old quotin' one of those wretched songs, remember that it's because somebody else sat back and said, "That's o.k. it's all part of life." Another generation of stupid, collar-poppin', gold-grill rockin' morons is on the rise because we'd all rather bend over and take it with a peace flag in hand.

It's a vicious cycle. The mothers are gettin' younger and teh babies are gettin' sicker and stupider because mama's too busy out clubbin' to properly feed and teach her children. Pops isn't around because he's got 4 other babie's mama's around that he's duckin' as well. All because that way of life is made pleasing abd glamourus to the listener.

I could give a damn how much they're 'a part of the community'. What they promote is wrong. You think the children follow the example of a few thousand dollars thrown into the community, or what they see in these God-awful videos??

Whatever though man. I know why I'm in this and I'm gonna seriously piss a lot of people off when I get there, but to Hell with it and them too. I'd rather have love from a true minority, than a fake majority.

your point is understood and you are correct

what was the last action movie you saw ?

it gets accepted and it goes untouched because the people who know that its foul will not pull their resources together and make the world they have in mind a reality. They are also too busy trying to get paid to care.
How much time will you dedicate to change these things.

see, the 85ers stick together and get shit done and click tighter than those who claim to have knowledge of self

so how can we change this ?

Urban_Journalz
10-10-2006, 01:46 AM
^^^Whoever said that going out and speaking to the youth about this was right. Also, recommendation of good music is an effective tool as well. I never said everyone should sound like Common or Mos Def. That would exclude A LOT of music I love. Cypress Hill, M.O.P., The Beastie Boys, Gravediggaz, etc. With different people comes different talent. I just don't see any differentiation between this person and that lately. Well, not in the mainstream. Another good way to solve this, is to basically let them know, by example, that what's popular isn't always quality. Just tell 'em, "Yo, you want some TIGHT music?! Pick up Immortal Technique." I use him as an example because not only is he a BEAST on the mic, but he also teaches at the same time. Teach 'em the same way you'd teach one of your own.

To Stylez, my bad cuz I was a bit passionate up there in stating my opinion. Truth be told though, turning on EVERY radio station and hearing the same tracks, or similar ones really rustles my feathers. I love this music and I love this culture. I know Rakim was speakin' on the same things the dudes are now, as was KRS and Kane. Thing is, those cats had balance in their rhymes and threw in ill metaphors on top of a nasty beat. It was layered damn near to perfection. The hood was always the hood and always will be. But the content of the hood's music greatly affects the mind-set of the people therein. Do you know how mad I was when I picked up CappaDonna's "Yin & Yang" album??!! Son, I was furious. Not only was he on some "lemme throw this word in SIMPLY because it rhymes, damn the fact that it makes NO sense.", but those beats were MAD painful to listen to.... also....Jermaine Dupri and Wu-Tang just don't mix. That album didn't even FEEL like Wu-Tang. The Pillage was better and that one was about a 7. Point is, I've always been like this. I sometimes wonder where I'd be if I didn't pick up joints like "Heavy Mental" or "Illadelph Halflife". A great album is like a great movie. It inspires you and peeks your imagination. If I can appreciate and understand this, how much am I TRULY capable of??

The real music is out there, true enough, but it's not in a fair enough circulation. Again, it's the people. Not enough of us are callin' radio stations and askin' to hear certain songs. Just sk for the ones you think they may have. "Chercez La Ghost" "Fu-Gee-La" "The Next Movement" "Knock Knock". There's plenty of safe and effective ways to do these things. I was in Amoeba Records in Cali. Every time I went in there, there was always someone trying to find out what I was buying. Hip-Hop heads!!! I'll catch a few peekin' over my shoulder lookin' at the section I'm in. One cat was doing a project on Hip-Hop and wanted to know what he should get. Shhhh. I gave him The GZA, The Roots and I think Big Pun's 1st LP. Dude had to be like in his late 20's. Point is, people know now that there's a different and more influential kind of Hip-Hop than what they're being spoon-fed, or rather shovel-fed by the radio and television. Just gotta be willing to help 'em find it.

TeknicelStylez
10-10-2006, 02:13 AM
Peace

snapple
10-10-2006, 10:42 AM

"On the first, I hate these chickens
Get their check, hair, nails done, steak and chicken, for they friends
And they kids fly, I ain't open friend, on the 11th, you gonna be broke again" - cam

"See they tainted our image, it's fucked up how the game painted our image
They say we dangerous people, why, because we sell caine to the people
That don't be the reason I be aiming this eagle, my aims to get equal
The first and fifteenth's got some restraints on my people" - jones

"I'm trying to get my act together, in the booth now trying to get my rap together" - santana

"I need to find another road to follow
One that's new and strong, not old and hollow" - santana

"Momma, I just want you to know
I'm in love with you so, if you wasn't here I'd be in love with you soul"

dipset is running shit, even though musically lately theybe been weak. so much hate and disrespect outside of NY and online for dipset...ignorance.

snapple
10-10-2006, 10:44 AM
tek keeps it real. RESPECT

J.T.S.
10-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Agreed, see the problem is people feel like they're a part of the hip hop community just because they don't listen to commercial rap. Thats not the case either, if you never been to a rap oriented community or seen an inner city ghetto how the fuck you going to know what people are rapping about. Dipset does alot for the community, if you go to Harlem you'll see that Dipset does more for the community than the mayor himself. You just see the image potrayed on T.V. of these people, you don't know what they're really all about. You probably didn't know that there's 5% roots in dipset, and some of the members are muslim.

You can't shun people out just because they get air time on the radio. Or because they rap about things you disagree with. Bambaataa wasn't implying that he doesn't want to hear gangster rap anymore or that he's sick of G-Unit. He said he's upset with the disassociation of the hip hop community. He's sick of people like you pointing they're fingers going I can't stand this motherfucker, this aint real music, and them pointing their fingers back going that music is outdates blablabla. He wants people to unify and respect hip hop for the universal music that it is. How in one genre you can have 2 completely opposite tastes, an arrayed spectrum of music, something for everybody. He wants us to appreciate hip hop not change it or get rid of the way people rap or anything like that, he just wants us to be unified for a greater cause, to use hip hop to bring people together like when he helped start the damn thing.

That's real talk Tek couldn't agree more!!

J.T.S.
10-10-2006, 01:15 PM
What people have to realize is that hip-hop is controlled by Jews( i have nothing against jews). And these guys want the artists that glorify violence, and genocide. Which is real i don't hate Dip-set, or 50 cents
i condone these fuckin' record companies, they screwed the game up!!
Remember when there really was no commercial rap back in the days, i remember hearing various artists on the radio anyone from a tribe called quest to Coolio. Pop shit back in the days was like Hammer, i liked his shit back then but know if i admitted that i'd be clowned by this younger generation coming up! 'No Idea's original' people gotta realize that!
Brothers gotta eat, if it means sellin' out that's what they'll do!
I don't care for 50 cents music, but i respect the man's hustle, and how he put his boys on and didn't forget about them. i respect Cam'ron
cause iv'e actually met him, and builded with em', and i told him his music was weak that it wasn't hittin' like "Children of the corn" days!
He said that he can't be pigen-holed into one style of music, he said he does whatever sells, he said his kids gotta eat!
I seen how he's a general man, he keeps his crew tight, and makes sure their pockets stay full, know don't get me wrong his music to me is garbage, and the only dip-set mc i even would give a listen to is J.R. Ryder.
But one thing that I heard rza say in a interview always has stuck in my mind Quote: "I may not like some of these niggas music man", but that's their chamber God, you wanna rap about what's true to you from ya heart God! Niggas might not like my shit, but they might like method man, or Rae, as long as your keeping the niggas that was down with you from day one finacially stable, with food on the table then your doing a good thing god! I don't give a fuck about the next man's darts i keep mines sharpened, People are gonna either accept truth or fiction, or reality, or fantasy.

Urban_Journalz
10-10-2006, 02:09 PM
And they kids fly, I ain't open friend, on the 11th, you gonna be broke again" - cam

"I'm trying to get my act together, in the booth now trying to get my rap together" - santana

dipset is running shit, even though musically lately theybe been weak. so much hate and disrespect outside of NY and online for dipset...ignorance.

First of all, NY Hip-Hop doesn't even sound like NY. It's new sound is taken from whoever is popular at the time. Dipset may have a few good lines here and there but they and their sound is disposable. The only cats from NY that are really makin' music for the up-and-coming ghetto sages are Immortal Technique, Ghostface, Masta Killa, Mos Def, Papoose, Cage and a few others. A few positive lines doesn't mean you're doing something to truly uplift the mind instead of a skirt. Cuz when you look at the big picture, most of what they say is designed to do the latter.

Just because they're at the top of the charts, or near the top, doesn't mean they're runnin' anything except their mouths. The masses will put you at the top based on how much nonsense you spit and how pretty you are.

Cam is the only one that ever did somethin' ill. And that was in the beginning.
The lot of 'em are clowns though. I can't tell what's worse, the 'beats' or the 'rhymes'.

CherChezLaMarauder
10-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Let's keep it simple, short and sweet. Music is a reflection of life isn't it?

Bet.

if life itself evolves, what makes you think music wont evolve?

Don't make me get scientifical up in here!

TAURO
10-10-2006, 05:37 PM
^^^Whoever said that going out and speaking to the youth about this was right. Also, recommendation of good music is an effective tool as well. I never said everyone should sound like Common or Mos Def. That would exclude A LOT of music I love. Cypress Hill, M.O.P., The Beastie Boys, Gravediggaz, etc. With different people comes different talent. I just don't see any differentiation between this person and that lately. Well, not in the mainstream. Another good way to solve this, is to basically let them know, by example, that what's popular isn't always quality. Just tell 'em, "Yo, you want some TIGHT music?! Pick up Immortal Technique." I use him as an example because not only is he a BEAST on the mic, but he also teaches at the same time. Teach 'em the same way you'd teach one of your own.

To Stylez, my bad cuz I was a bit passionate up there in stating my opinion. Truth be told though, turning on EVERY radio station and hearing the same tracks, or similar ones really rustles my feathers. I love this music and I love this culture. I know Rakim was speakin' on the same things the dudes are now, as was KRS and Kane. Thing is, those cats had balance in their rhymes and threw in ill metaphors on top of a nasty beat. It was layered damn near to perfection. The hood was always the hood and always will be. But the content of the hood's music greatly affects the mind-set of the people therein. Do you know how mad I was when I picked up CappaDonna's "Yin & Yang" album??!! Son, I was furious. Not only was he on some "lemme throw this word in SIMPLY because it rhymes, damn the fact that it makes NO sense.", but those beats were MAD painful to listen to.... also....Jermaine Dupri and Wu-Tang just don't mix. That album didn't even FEEL like Wu-Tang. The Pillage was better and that one was about a 7. Point is, I've always been like this. I sometimes wonder where I'd be if I didn't pick up joints like "Heavy Mental" or "Illadelph Halflife". A great album is like a great movie. It inspires you and peeks your imagination. If I can appreciate and understand this, how much am I TRULY capable of??

The real music is out there, true enough, but it's not in a fair enough circulation. Again, it's the people. Not enough of us are callin' radio stations and askin' to hear certain songs. Just sk for the ones you think they may have. "Chercez La Ghost" "Fu-Gee-La" "The Next Movement" "Knock Knock". There's plenty of safe and effective ways to do these things. I was in Amoeba Records in Cali. Every time I went in there, there was always someone trying to find out what I was buying. Hip-Hop heads!!! I'll catch a few peekin' over my shoulder lookin' at the section I'm in. One cat was doing a project on Hip-Hop and wanted to know what he should get. Shhhh. I gave him The GZA, The Roots and I think Big Pun's 1st LP. Dude had to be like in his late 20's. Point is, people know now that there's a different and more influential kind of Hip-Hop than what they're being spoon-fed, or rather shovel-fed by the radio and television. Just gotta be willing to help 'em find it.

Thats exactly how I feel, it's good to hear from people that feel the same way, I've always told people the same thing, in fact I have started people who are not into hip hop but wanted to get into the music who they should be checking for, Immortal Technique, MF Doom etc and i've found that it has made a difference.
What's shocking is looking at these peoples faces when their listening to the music the expression always seems to read {I can't believe this type of hip hop existed?} It's gotten so bad that most people don't even remember what hip hop used to sound like before 50 cent.

7EL7
10-10-2006, 08:57 PM

Nice

That would exclude A LOT of music I love. Cypress Hill, M.O.P., The Beastie Boys, Gravediggaz, etc. With different people comes different talent. Hip-Hop heads!!! I'll catch a few peekin' over my shoulder lookin' at the section I'm in. One cat was doing a project on Hip-Hop and wanted to know what he should get. Shhhh. I gave him The GZA, The Roots and I think Big Pun's 1st LP.

the beasties was writing shit like that above ?

whats the difference between big pun, 50, and dipset ?

7EL7
10-10-2006, 09:02 PM
What people have to realize is that hip-hop is controlled by Jews( i have nothing against jews). And these guys want the artists that glorify violence, and genocide. Which is real i don't hate Dip-set, or 50 cents
i condone these fuckin' record companies, they screwed the game up!!
Remember when there really was no commercial rap back in the days, i remember hearing various artists on the radio anyone from a tribe called quest to Coolio.wasn't coolio pop ?

Pop shit back in the days was like Hammer, i liked his shit back then but know if i admitted that i'd be clowned by this younger generation coming up! 'No Idea's original' people gotta realize that!
Brothers gotta eat, if it means sellin' out that's what they'll do!
I don't care for 50 cents music, but i respect the man's hustle, and how he put his boys on and didn't forget about them. i respect Cam'ron
cause iv'e actually met him, and builded with em', and i told him his music was weak that it wasn't hittin' like "Children of the corn" days!
He said that he can't be pigen-holed into one style of music, he said he does whatever sells, he said his kids gotta eat!
I seen how he's a general man, he keeps his crew tight, and makes sure their pockets stay full, know don't get me wrong his music to me is garbage, and the only dip-set mc i even would give a listen to is J.R. Ryder.
But one thing that I heard rza say in a interview always has stuck in my mind Quote: "I may not like some of these niggas music man", but that's their chamber God, you wanna rap about what's true to you from ya heart God! Niggas might not like my shit, but they might like method man, or Rae, as long as your keeping the niggas that was down with you from day one finacially stable, with food on the table then your doing a good thing god! I don't give a fuck about the next man's darts i keep mines sharpened, People are gonna either accept truth or fiction, or reality, or fantasy.

Rza is on point with that

J.T.S.
10-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Yeah Coolio was pop, but the point i was making is that tribe called quest, and coolio would get spins equally. They would play a non-pop record like 2pac's "Pappaz Song", and play ""Everything's Gonna be alright" by Naughty by nature which also wasn't pop!
i know people that liked coolio, and hammer back n' the day, know all of a sudden theyr'e dissin' 50 cents, and Dip-set!
I don't necessarily care for their music, but i have nothing against them cats they never did nothing to me!