PDA

View Full Version : Camden, NJ

TeknicelStylez
10-12-2006, 02:08 AM
I found this article in maxim shit is crazy, I never been to Camden, I might have to check it out because this sounds fun.

Welcome to Murder City
http://www.maximonline.com/shared_images/transparent.gif
Camden, New Jersey is the Most Dangerous City in America two years running—a near legendary ghetto where motels, drugs, and life are cheap. But can a bad city go good?

Maxim, Aug 2006

If the Grim Reaper had a favorite vacation spot, it would be Camden, New Jersey. Three decades ago it was a vibrant indus*trial center fueled by manufacturing plants for companies like RCA and Campbell Soup; now this once-proud city of 80,000 is a brittle shell, decaying on the banks of the Delaware River across from Philadelphia’s muscular skyline. A downtown Camden address buys you more rubble than rowhouse, street corners infested with gangs loitering like vultures, and the chance of being one of the city’s homicides in a near weekly ritual of bullets, screams, and sirens that puts it in the same miserable company as urban nightmares like Bogotá, Johannesburg, and Mexico City.

The state has invested $175 million into Camden’s infrastructure in an effort to boost the economy and tame the city. Recently, local law enforcement noted an 18 percent decline in major crime, thanks to aggressive tactics by local, state, and federal agencies. But it’s like a Band-Aid on a shotgun wound: This year alone, a lethal supply of heroin has flooded the streets, resulting in 51 overdoses and eight deaths. The previous year, Federal agencies seized 2,307 kilos of cocaine, 157 kilos of heroin, and 10 kilos of meth in New Jersey. Invariably, the poison finds its way to Jersey’s own Super Wal-Mart of drugs. “Camden’s got 150 open-air drug markets, which creates a high level of violence, with people killing each other over petty issues of respect,” Bill Shralow, spokesman for the Camden County prosecutor’s office has said.

While many in Camden try to be optimistic, those on the front lines endure the day-to-day realities of a city struggling for its life. Dr. Amrit Ponnambalam works the emergency room of Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center, and he sees street casualties every day, sometimes up to five patients in an hour. “You get people that you don’t want to take care of. You get the guy the police take in after he shot someone.”

Camden City Hall spokesman Rev. Tony Evans likes to point out that much larger cities, like New York, have more murders; he says the ranking is unfair, noting it’s absurd to compare Camden to a city of eight million. But even Rev. Evans is a reluctant cheerleader, eventually resigning himself to Camden’s existence as human junkyard. “Camden is the dump for New Jersey,” he admits. “If you want drugs, this is where you come.”

Camden’s branding as the most dangerous city in America was determined by Lawrence, Kansas–based publishing company Morgan Quitno Press, which ranks cities based on FBI statistics in every major crime category, including murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and auto theft. Not all is bleak lawlessness in New Jersey: Northeast of Camden sits Brick Township, last year rated one of the safest cities in the U.S. by Morgan Quitno. Camden lurks in the shadows behind such picturesque hamlets, an infernal pit of asphalt and concrete to New Jersey’s suburban paradise. Scott Morgan, a primary editor on the report, admitted to visiting Camden once, but then “drove back out.”

Morgan Quitno sells its annual reports to real estate investors and home buyers looking for idyllic places to raise families. It’s a numbers game, where Quitno can produce data that proves their proclamation, and City Hall can counter with research indicating rosier days ahead for Camden. In the meantime charity organizations like Habitat for Humanity build homes for the poor while drug dealers look on. But some numbers can’t be massaged, like the statistics plainly laid out here that paint a bleak portrait of the ghetto that makes other ghetto’s go “Camden? Now that’s a ghetto.” Visit if you want. There’s an aquarium, an amphitheater, and a ballpark. Just don’t say you weren’t warned…

Street Violence
252 — Number of crime guns confiscated in Camden County in 2003–04
10 — Times Camden’s murder rate is greater than U.S. average
61 — Murders per 100,000 residents
973 — Aggravated assaults with a gun in Camden in 2003

Child Welfare
100 — Percentage of fourth-graders who passed a standardized math test in one school. After an investigation began, only 23 percent passed the next year.
49 — Percentage of residents without a high school diploma
304 — Violent incidents in public schools, 2003–04
51 — Percentage of children who live in poverty
45 lbs. — Weight of a 19-year-old Camden boy who made headlines when cops busted his abusive foster parents

Housing Bust
19% — Housing vacancy rate in Camden
$1,900 — Up-front cost of Habitat for Humanity home
$35,900 — Price for townhouse by “anxious seller”
$200 — Rent paid by 17 percent of residents

Random Acts of Violence, 2006
Grant Street: A whopping 102 people are arrested during a one-day drug sting.
Pierce Street: An illegal immigrant stabbed a man twice and then ran over his body.
Haddon Avenue: Three men are shot on a Saturday night after an argument.
Federal Street: A 22-year-old man was shot and killed outside a local restaurant.
Mount Ephraim Avenue: One shot dead, five wounded outside a fried chicken joint.
Café II on Ferry Avenue: A bouncer is shot and killed, purportedly by a member of the Bloods.

Arms Deals
192 — Missile parts a Camden smelting company attempted to illegally sell to China

Drug Users
$3 — Minimum crack rock price.
40 — Drug overdoses in Camden County in 2005.

Camden's Guns of Choice
1. Smith & Wesson 9 mm semiautomatic pistol
2. Ruger 9 mm semiautomatic pistol
3. Harrington & Richardson .32 revolver
4. Intratec 9 mm semi*automatic pistol

Murder Rates Per 100,000 Residents
Camden, NJ — 60.8
New Orleans, LA — 56
Gary, IN — 53.7
Las Vegas, NV — 10.6
Killeen, TX — 5.1
Brick Township, NJ — 1.3

Salary Caps
46 — Percentage of residents living at or below the poverty line
25 — Percent of households earning less than $10,000 a year
3 — Recent Camden mayors convicted of corruption

Sex & Violence
56 — Rapes reported in 2003
500+ — Sex offenders in Camden
2,610 — HIV/AIDS cases in Camden County
85 — “Erotic services” listed on Craigslist

Median Household Income
Camden, NJ — $23,421
Brick Township, NJ — $52,092
Newton, MA — $86,052
New York, NY — $38,293
Los Angeles, CA — $36,687
Detroit, MI — $29,526

Sicka than aidZ
10-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Yeah I Heard Bout Camden Shits All Tore Up

MsRzaRecTaH
10-12-2006, 08:04 AM
yeah i been to camden before.. not a pretty site

TeknicelStylez
10-12-2006, 08:14 AM
damn what was you doing out there ma?

you couldn't holla at ya boy...

TeknicelStylez
10-12-2006, 08:15 AM
973 — Aggravated assaults with a gun in Camden in 2003

this shit is fuckin crazy yo, thats like 3 fuckin shootouts a day

CHRONZ
10-12-2006, 08:18 AM
that's fucked up man... damn

SHRAP
10-12-2006, 08:39 AM
camden is fucked up for real, it has to be to have so many fuckin articles written about how shitty it is

TAURO
10-12-2006, 08:39 AM
That shit is fucked up, the government should be ashamed for letting it get that bad.

Sexy Jasper
10-12-2006, 08:43 AM
Sex & Violence
56 — Rapes reported in 2003
500+ — Sex offenders in Camden
2,610 — HIV/AIDS cases in Camden County
85 — “Erotic services” listed on Craigslist

Something about this chart tells me there aren't enough "erotic services" in Camden.

renagade410
10-12-2006, 10:21 AM
yea i been to camden before and its a sad sight to see. BALTIMORE,MD is another very sad city very similar to camden except for the fact that camden has hispanic ppl where as baltimoe is prodominatly african american

that list thing was actually incorrect because camden is not the most violent city overall. It is the most violet middle sized city but the most violent big city is baltimore and overall its baltimore as well (if youre looking at the homicide to ppl ratio) of course i dont go on statistics because i live in baltimore and to me the most dangerous place i have been was laredo,texas. Its right there on the border so all of the illegal immigrants be there and most of the homicides dont even get recored because they dont count non us citizens as a homicide. Shit there is crazy plus it be hotta than hell

Gawd
10-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Damn....per capita averages suck......

Dokuro
10-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Murder Rates Per 100,000 Residents
Camden, NJ — 60.8
New Orleans, LA — 56
Gary, IN — 53.7
Las Vegas, NV — 10.6
Killeen, TX — 5.1
Brick Township, NJ — 1.3

:'( :'( katrina knocked LA out of the runings:( :(

peace*D

CHRONZ
10-12-2006, 10:45 AM
^ lol ?

TeknicelStylez
10-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Yea Baltimore murdaland is up there now, back in 2004 i think camden had it

any time you got 60% of the population being murdered it's pretty fuckin crazy

CherChezLaMarauder
10-12-2006, 02:28 PM
^ Whoa, 60%? lol. You definately have your statistics off. 60% of a city being murdered will draw the national guard, army, navy and grandma's kitchen sink wiping out the city to kingdom come

MsRzaRecTaH
10-12-2006, 02:39 PM
What was I doing in Camden?
Shit I went to visit friends whom I havent heard from?
maybe they are part of statistics. .

L~>1<~NKS
10-12-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks for ur patience, we've been expierencing high crime's in recent times. Fortunetly the grotesque truth of our country state has subsided... You may now enter our communities with ease... Please enjoy ur stay here in the tri - state area.^O^

I side note to all the mots an fats - procreate...

TeknicelStylez
10-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Camden, NJ — 60.8

watchu thought that number meant?

Yea the national gaurd is there, they wait on the city borders with automatic rifles

crass
10-12-2006, 10:43 PM
Camden, NJ — 60.8

watchu thought that number meant?

Yea the national gaurd is there, they wait on the city borders with automatic rifles

60.8 people per 100,000

that's like 0.6 percent or something. but that's fucking huge anyway, especially if you compare it to other cities where it's like 1 in 100,000

Lil' Ruger
10-12-2006, 10:57 PM
thats alot of fucking killings they shud just wipe it off the fadce of the earth.

Sicka than aidZ
10-12-2006, 11:02 PM
MURDER RATE IS OFF THE CHARTS IN YALLS CITIES

Lil' Ruger
10-12-2006, 11:06 PM
i dont get it what about new york dont alot of ppl die there?!?!?!?!

crass
10-12-2006, 11:12 PM
thats alot of fucking killings they shud just wipe it off the fadce of the earth.

mass killing to stop killings? be reasonable, boy!

what happened with that peurto rican chick you were gonna fuck with a garbage bag?

snapple
10-12-2006, 11:18 PM

don't a lot of people die everywhere? i don't understand this comment at all

snapple
10-12-2006, 11:20 PM
oh and PS, plenty of bitch ass faggots live in jersy don't be fooled by statistics. real dudes are real dudes, don't matter what block you're @, i'm down south and i'm still me. i don't walk around screaming YO YO NEW YORK SON YALL DONT EVEN KNOW SON, i didn't chose to be born in NY and be raised there.....i'm not better then anyone else cause of that....people like ebighead have said things to me about "just cause i'm not from ghettos of new york" and it made me think damn have i really come across like that? maybe i shouldn't knock him for the fact that he lives in the desert all the time...sometimes it's necessary....but you know what where you come from really doesn't mean shit, it's who you are that matters.

tommytootone
10-12-2006, 11:49 PM
yo camden is rough stay out

snapple
10-12-2006, 11:50 PM
^^word, if you got no B.I. in the hood, don't go to the hood.

maestro wooz
10-13-2006, 01:22 AM
id take a beagle for a walk through camden and mean mug when i didnt scoop it up.

TeknicelStylez
10-13-2006, 03:55 AM
^^^thats my boy

Brent Schulze
10-13-2006, 12:45 PM
my girl's pops lives out there

tekunique
10-13-2006, 01:16 PM
.but you know what where you come from really doesn't mean shit, it's who you are that matters.
more importantly, where you're going..

$inista
10-13-2006, 01:23 PM
what the fuck is overthere that would want me to go............nuthin! what's to do in camden, i don't know but most likely nuthin! except maybe shoot somebody

ShaDynasty
10-13-2006, 02:01 PM
oh and PS, plenty of bitch ass faggots live in jersy don't be fooled by statistics. real dudes are real dudes, don't matter what block you're @, i'm down south and i'm still me. i don't walk around screaming YO YO NEW YORK SON YALL DONT EVEN KNOW SON, i didn't chose to be born in NY and be raised there.....i'm not better then anyone else cause of that....people like ebighead have said things to me about "just cause i'm not from ghettos of new york" and it made me think damn have i really come across like that? maybe i shouldn't knock him for the fact that he lives in the desert all the time...sometimes it's necessary....but you know what where you come from really doesn't mean shit, it's who you are that matters.

so youre basically sayin you pulled a fresh prince on new york and ran away from confrontation with a bigger dude?

also, i think murder is wrong in 90% of times, the other ten % is some REAL shit

renagade410
10-13-2006, 02:13 PM

new york hasnt been that deadly as of late back in the early 90's it was THE WORST place to live based upon homicides so of course ppl are always gonna remember that however amongst the 10 largest cities in the u.s ney york city is "the safest" out of the 10 (whatever safest means because you can die anywhere at anytime)

all this talk of most dangerous places to live is kinda dumb to me im from the hood so im used to danger but that dosnt mean that if i go to iowa or wherever these ppl claim is the safest place to live that i cant get killed murder happens in every city shit the world in general is a dangerous place to live

CherChezLaMarauder
10-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Ugh I might be exaggerting, but my chances of dying visting Watts, California from Des Moines, Iowa are a tad higher.

snapple
10-13-2006, 04:20 PM
so youre basically sayin you pulled a fresh prince on new york and ran away from confrontation with a bigger dude?

also, i think murder is wrong in 90% of times, the other ten % is some REAL shit

your comprehension skills suck dick....ive never ran from anybody....where did you pull that out of?

CID DIGITAL
10-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Jus Allah is from camden.

I made it through liberty city and that place is rough. I once had to take on about 12 mf's with chainsaws. Chainsaws!

..I can make it in camden.

renagade410
10-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Ugh I might be exaggerting, but my chances of dying visting Watts, California from Des Moines, Iowa are a tad higher.

im not doubting that the chances are higher but some ppl think that just because they are from a "dangerous" city that if they go to a "safe" city they are immune to violence/death

ShaDynasty
10-13-2006, 09:52 PM
your comprehension skills suck dick....ive never ran from anybody....where did you pull that out of?

well it was a joke, but if you read your post again it can be interpreted as you not wanting to claim NY as your hometown because you got punked there

and thats the impression i get from your posts
boot camp klik sig?!
hahahhahaha

im kiddin, i have a serious alchohol problem
im kiddin again (a bit)
please ill respond tomorow when i can give a shit more:yessad:

snapple
10-13-2006, 10:10 PM
NY is my hometown born and raised and i'll die there....yea you being drunk = you running your mouth about some imaginary bullshit, post again when you're sober.

CEITEDMOFO
10-14-2006, 03:33 AM
Teks White Ass Is Scared Of Walikin In Camden

Greek Gheynician Anal Tradition
10-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Daaaaaaaaamn..Crazy shit..

ShaDynasty
10-14-2006, 06:55 AM
NY is my hometown born and raised and i'll die there....yea you being drunk = you running your mouth about some imaginary bullshit, post again when you're sober.

snapple, its not where your from its where you at
but seriously, why you wouldnt want to rep for ny?

snapple
10-14-2006, 07:48 AM
^son what are you talking about....last show i peroformed i screamed new york in the mic check and the new york people in the house were roaring....i threw up my set....i'll be doing it again tonight when i perform....if you live in florida come check it out it's on 192

ShaDynasty
10-14-2006, 07:50 AM
aiight snap
your post on page 2 suggested you didnt rep
this conversation is boring can we talk about something thats actually interesting?