PDA

View Full Version : Suburban kids doing rap

Graveyard shift
10-12-2006, 12:38 PM
I was on Cormega's site a while back and I bumped into a thread in which he basically implied that he has no respect for what's considered underground hip-hop now a days(shit like Atmosphere, Apathy); he doesn't feel like it's hip hop due to it's detachment from the streets, which was the birthplace of the music.

This statement that he made drew a lot of replies from members of his site, and I'm wanting to get a survey of members of this sites opinions on the matter.

Should suburban rappers, or any rapper that strays from the foundation of rap be shunned or labeled as non-rappers?

Do you respect these guys form of hip hop? Do you respect them as MC's?

TSA
10-12-2006, 12:49 PM
I was on Cormega's site a while back and I bumped into a thread in which he basically implied that he has no respect for what's considered underground hip-hop now a days(shit like Atmosphere, Apathy); he doesn't feel like it's hip hop due to it's detachment from the streets, which was the birthplace of the music.

This statement that he made drew a lot of replies from members of his site, and I'm wanting to get a survey of members of this sites opinions on the matter.

Should suburban rappers, or any rapper that strays from the foundation of rap be shunned or labeled as non-rappers?

if they know the science of mcing and or do it well then yeah, why not respect them, and if they're real. even if they're unreal so long as its music i like to hear. but anyways the main point is cormega is a dumbass now, hip hop originated in clubs and make shift block parties, not just the streets, a lot of the behind the scenes hiphop pioneers where white and suburban, the street thing came later, so HE's a detachment from hip hop, if he wants to play that game.

THE W
10-12-2006, 12:51 PM
why not? if they can rhyme why shouldnt they be considered hiphop musicians just cuz they weren't raised in the ghetto?

its these types of mentalities that keep hiphop from growing.

isnt kanye from the suburbs?

Rame
10-12-2006, 12:52 PM
They are as much as MC as he is, what he states is bullshit

Ofcourse I respect them

CHRONZ
10-12-2006, 01:02 PM
i got respect.

Visionz
10-12-2006, 01:03 PM
"Not till you've heard Rakim on a mountain top have you heard hip-hop"----Saul Williams

In reality most the of hip-hop and rap records sales are THOSE kids in the suburbs making his point pointless. I'm sure Cormega isn't complaining when he's saling records to the same people he's criticizing. In the end I don't think knowledge or talent has any boundaries. Skills is skills no matter where you're from.

Jet Set
10-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Lol, how do you mean reverse.

To me it don't matter where you from. If teh music is good, it's good. But it's got to be sincere. I don't got alot of respect for people pretending to be someone who they are not.
Music is all in the heart. It's not where you come from. That only directs your cultural background for a bit.

Graveyard shift
10-12-2006, 01:30 PM
The point was also brough up that some of these suburban kids haven't payed their dues. I think that was the main reason for the apparent lack of respect for them.

Do you have to pay your dues in order to be a rapper? I mean, it's really some shit to think that you have to be forced to listen to some old school heads or live in the ghetto in order to be respected as a real rap practicioner.

Visionz
10-12-2006, 01:36 PM
If you make it in this game then you've paid your dues regardless of where you're from. I imagine the formula is much the same everywhere, hustlin cd's outta ya trunk, tryin to get gigs at ya local spot, etc. In that aspect, I wouldn't say that it's any different be it city or burbs.

cap
10-12-2006, 01:40 PM
yeah thats a difficult subject,cus one time i was watching a show on mtv,
about some battling shit.and they followed the contenders and there was this white kid rocking the throwback,cap,chain,u know the usual.

and he was talking about i wanna be a rapper this and that...
and they show his house,IT WAS FUCKING HUGE,his family was rich and shit.
that didnt look right man.

Visionz
10-12-2006, 01:46 PM
But did he have skills? and was he frontin? I think you can be a talented emcee from anywhere but the subject matter better be honest imo. Bein rich as fuck and rappin about bein poor is wack.

UNCLE RUCKUS
10-12-2006, 02:04 PM
I like that Doom wheres a mask; to me hes saying fuck an image. Its the sound that matters, with rapping of course the content of your lyrics is just as important. so if these white suburban kids have as crucial subject matter; then cool. if they arent emulating or biting wholesale; then alright. Its lame if mcs just want to wear the clothes of another culture; but if they have something to bring to the table in their own style then alright. I like Edan cause I dont think he is trying to be someone hes not; plus hes got some skills

maestro wooz
10-12-2006, 02:20 PM
cormega is one of the illest rappers but hes also one of the dumbest. Listen to his records, hes always talking about whos real, who sells coke, whos busted shots. He doesnt seem to understand that shit is stupid, theres more respect in making it without selling coke and killing people and keeping it real. The Realness is sick though.

TAURO
10-12-2006, 02:26 PM

What Cormega is really saying is WHITE suburban rappers that he has no respect for because I know for a fact that some of these so called real mc's are from middle class backgrounds but because they are black people let it slide, talk about double standards.

TAURO
10-12-2006, 02:28 PM
The point was also brough up that some of these suburban kids haven't payed their dues. I think that was the main reason for the apparent lack of respect for them.

Do you have to pay your dues in order to be a rapper? I mean, it's really some shit to think that you have to be forced to listen to some old school heads or live in the ghetto in order to be respected as a real rap practicioner.

For me paying your dues is proving yourself on the mic not how much shit you got into on the streets.

CherChezLaMarauder
10-12-2006, 02:32 PM
have you ever seen VH1's 40 most un-hip hop moments? It was an hour of cringing for me

Prolifical ENG
10-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Peoples imagry of "suburbs" are twisted these days.

They always picture a bunch of white people who have 5000 square foot homes with nice sidewalks, parks, etc.

Ive seen some pretty ghetto suburbs which are 50+ years old so rent is cheap. Compton can be considered a suburb.....

Some of those places its the exact same story as urban areas.

In other words they arent just high-middle class people living in suburbs.

murkoutz
10-12-2006, 04:20 PM
some of them kids from the burbs got more respect for hiphop then niggaz in the hood. i could go ask the hoodlums up the street and im sure nan one of them niggaz would say they fuck with hiphop. so as long as you rep it and rep it right, know your history, done your homework, more power to ya. plus atmosphere is a muthafuckin' beast. they make good music period

Dokuro
10-12-2006, 04:46 PM
being from compton its hard to respect those perpatraters but as long as thay dont act soming there not i wont mind i dont want to see them rap about crime and act like they hard you know they should were some sweters and talk about shit the know develpop an suberban fan bass
and not try to connect with people living in the struggle

Church

TAURO
10-12-2006, 04:54 PM
being from compton its hard to respect those perpatraters but as long as thay dont act soming there not i wont mind i dont want to see them rap about crime and act like they hard you know they should were some sweters and talk about shit the know develpop an suberban fan bass
and not try to connect with people living in the struggle

Church

When I used to watch movies like menace II Society and Boyz in the Hood one of the things that used to go through my mind was that people in compton and other similar places lived in nice houses, I know compton is a dangerous place but I think it looks like a nice area.

crass
10-12-2006, 05:01 PM
I like that Doom wheres a mask; to me hes saying fuck an image.

no, actually the opposite. he's creating the image of a dude in a mask instead of a normal human being with a face. it's the same as stupid goth kids who wear black lipstick and knee-high boots to try and make an "anti-fashion" statement

energizer
10-12-2006, 08:03 PM
no, actually the opposite. he's creating the image of a dude in a mask instead of a normal human being with a face. it's the same as stupid goth kids who wear black lipstick and knee-high boots to try and make an "anti-fashion" statement

doom himself said that the mask is to show that its about the music, not the image

TAURO
10-12-2006, 08:10 PM
doom himself said that the mask is to show that its about the music, not the image

That is true, I have the interview to prove it.:yes:

Sicka than aidZ
10-12-2006, 08:18 PM
if they're rhymin about gettin shot and theyve never been shot at they suck, what do u think about timberlake grave

Cesar
10-12-2006, 08:52 PM
I remember that thread, i go to that forum everyday. Honestly i'll rather listen to streets hip hop rather that surburban hip hop no offence but its called "BACKPACKERs Hip Hop" that is what Eminem on a more commercial level. & i really cant stand eminem anymore, There is nuttin wrong with Apathy or Atmosphere but they just dont appeal to me, i used to listen to MC Juice, they have great wordplay & rhymes, but no substance. On the other hand, i think all of Cormega's album are classic. Because he gives you a lil bit of everything in his music.

Papers
10-12-2006, 08:56 PM
matters what they rap about. dont want to hear them rapping about what people form the streets rap about. if they find the right subject matter and have some skill i dont see a problem.

Prolifical ENG
10-12-2006, 09:00 PM
yeah its ironic how "backpacker hip-hop" is now defined as that underground hip-hop that has a suburban fanbase opposed to 12 years ago.

TAURO
10-12-2006, 09:08 PM
I remember that thread, i go to that forum everyday. Honestly i'll rather listen to streets hip hop rather that surburban hip hop no offence but its called "BACKPACKERs Hip Hop" that is what Eminem on a more commercial level. & i really cant stand eminem anymore, There is nuttin wrong with Apathy or Atmosphere but they just dont appeal to me, i used to listen to MC Juice, they have great wordplay & rhymes, but no substance. On the other hand, i think all of Cormega's album are classic. Because he gives you a lil bit of everything in his music.

What happened to just loving hip hop music, fuck giving that shit labels.

Cesar
10-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Honestly it just dont appeal to me anymore, back when i was in my teens you would catch me listening to that, but it just grew out of me.

Prolifical ENG
10-12-2006, 09:19 PM
cosign....when i was 17-18 i used to like listening to Canibus all the time too...but then it feels like a short lived fad of wordplay.

crass
10-12-2006, 10:34 PM

of course he'd say that. what artist would say it's about an image???

but a dude who won't be seeing without a mask and who is known for WEARING A MASK is creating the image of SOMEONE HIDING THEIR FACE. it is more of an image than not wearing a mask. if he really didn't care about an image he would just do his thing with his normal face and if he made good music (which he doesn't in my opinion) then no one would even think about an image.

Graveyard shift
10-12-2006, 10:41 PM
What Cormega is really saying is WHITE suburban rappers that he has no respect for because I know for a fact that some of these so called real mc's are from middle class backgrounds but because they are black people let it slide, talk about double standards.

I highly doubt that. Cormega, though he can seem like an ass sometimes, is pretty cool on his site. He has the utmost respect for his fans, some of who are white, so I doubt that he's on a racial tip.

snapple
10-12-2006, 11:03 PM
what's prejudice?

thats absolutley retarded, if you're nice with the mic, fuck color or where you're from that doesn't mean shit. people are just reaching for reasons to be prejudice....dope is dope....

snapple
10-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Peoples imagry of "suburbs" are twisted these days.

They always picture a bunch of white people who have 5000 square foot homes with nice sidewalks, parks, etc.

Ive seen some pretty ghetto suburbs which are 50+ years old so rent is cheap. Compton can be considered a suburb.....

Some of those places its the exact same story as urban areas.

In other words they arent just high-middle class people living in suburbs.

exactly, i spent a large chunk of my life living in the suburbs, and no it's not all sunshine and white people at ALL, anyone from tri-state would know whatsup. i've been middle class my entire life and lived all over tri-state.

snapple
10-12-2006, 11:07 PM
yeah thats a difficult subject,cus one time i was watching a show on mtv,
about some battling shit.and they followed the contenders and there was this white kid rocking the throwback,cap,chain,u know the usual.

and he was talking about i wanna be a rapper this and that...
and they show his house,IT WAS FUCKING HUGE,his family was rich and shit.
that didnt look right man.

so fucking what son, you have to be from the roughest hood to have any assosiation with rap music?

Graveyard shift
10-12-2006, 11:42 PM
Here you guys go: http://www.cormegasite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2275&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

maestro wooz
10-13-2006, 01:08 AM
the dude with the post on the second to last page doesnt realize vordul and vast aire are from harlem.

TERRA
10-13-2006, 01:25 AM
look at jay-z the only reason hes able to survive as a top artist is because he rhymes about where he is at, at the moment. if he was still rhyming about the streets he would have fell off the charts a long time ago.as his music changes he realates to more people...but i must admit i feel closer to the music when it is about the streets cuz....thats where i'm at.

TAURO
10-13-2006, 07:48 AM
I don't think he's necessarily trying to be racist because I don't think he has a problem with poor white people but look at who he singled out Apathy and Atmophere all are white.

Aimed at Graveyard shift.

10-13-2006, 11:19 AM
as long as they don't rap about crimes and shit... yea, i respect'em. but they gotta have skills. and no emo shit.