PDA

View Full Version : "Hip-Hop Will Never Die" by Kevin L. Clark <---- GOOD READ

WuTangWarrior
10-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Found this on NBS:

Hip-Hop Will Never Die

Article by: Kevin L. Clark

http://www.nobodysmiling.com/content/image/editorials/hiphopdead.jpgPersonally, I am tired of the claims that Hip-Hop is dead and that the culture is a shell of its former self.

True, that the lyricism is kind of on the saccharin tip with half-ass emcees getting platinum success. But the question is… why support? It is easy to buck the mainstream monotony with all the conventional means that are accessible via the internet and others. XM and Sirius satellite radio are available to the paying public who wish to not listen to the same six songs on their local stations.

While they continue to play Dem Frachize Boys all over the country, I personally feel that they suck like the next Hip-Hop fan does. But, I do think that they have their place. Whether if you’re a one-hit wonder or have platinum success, an artists’ reign at the top comes from the fans (and some record labels purchasing of their shitty albums). Who has the new Raekwon mixtape? Is anyone bumping that Kidz in the Hall? While everyone is hailing Lupe Fiasco as a bastion of light that resides in the vein of real Hip-Hop, are we overseeing the other highly talented artists who can’t afford a Jay-Z or Kanyé West co-sign?

While the Louis Vutton Don may not give a beat to just anybody, the creativity is flooding back into the game. It is bubbling under the surface, ready to jump into the mainstream. Lupe kicked the door open with his opus Food & Liquor, but there are a slew of albums that are ready to drop that will blow the sh!t off its hinges.

New releases from Jay-Z, Nas, Kanyé West will be dropping in-or-after this fourth quarter. The public will support those individuals, surely. Although there are a slew of up-and-coming emcees that can bring us out of the “old man” rap of the early nineties and lead us into feeling like kids again while experiencing something new. Papoose, Saigon, One Be Lo, and Blitz the Ambassador are just a few who are a mixture of the past and a presence of the future that are a welcomed change from the stale state that our culture is currently in.

The Hip-Hop fan of today may not know what’s stale because they’ve never had the feeling of cracking open an Onyx CD. They didn’t hear 'Daytona 500' when it first dropped. Or an 'I Used to Love H.E.R.' as it blared out car speakers across America. Hip-Hop will never die as long as the culture continues to reinvent itself and remain honest and pure.

Nasir believes that “Hip-Hop is Dead”, yet his and other’s releases are keeping the game afloat. F*ck it if no one is pushing your album to the diamond mark. Hip-Hop wasn’t built on sales. This was never meant to be a corporate-ran business. Now, that it has become a multi-million dollar industry, of course the focus will be on dollars and cents. What makes sense is to realize what the Hip-Hop culture is up against… its own demise.

For as many influences Hip-Hop provides, the culture we all have known and love since forever is in need of a facelift. I’m not saying that we all need to turn our braggy-rap lyrics in and stop talking about what’s going on in the hoods of America. No way am I saying that we need to be a million Public Enemy’s, but I am advocating the creative spurt that has come from the likes of Gnarls Barkley, Joe Budden, Method Man and Redman.

Hip-Hop will never die, but it will never grow either if we continue to only support what corporations tell us is hot.

Rame
10-12-2006, 05:38 PM
good article, thanks

Dokuro
10-12-2006, 05:40 PM
church

cap
10-12-2006, 05:45 PM
dope read,thx!

Tetsuo
10-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks

Funk_Dock
10-12-2006, 06:13 PM
nice read, i agree with almost all of what he said

WuTangWarrior
10-12-2006, 06:15 PM
yeah i really like this article lol yo dont thank me i jus bring the news to yall.... this authors got a real good opinion and i agree wit it 100%

staycreepin_n_silence
10-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Wasn't pleased with it. Dude wan't saying anything to me. I mean hiphop isn't dead I agree with that but hiphop is also an expression. People spite what's relevant to them. If fronts and chevy's is big in your communities you will spit that. If crime, stick up kids and armed robberies is what's in your hood you spit that. Let's be realistic, hiphop is telling a story of not only dreams aspirations but what they have accomplish and what they see in their environment. They are bring you into their communities through the lyrics. Let's face it, what's hot in Chi town isn't what's going on in New york. And what's big in houston isn't what you see or hear in ATL.

See the concept that corps are telling fans what to like and not like is booty. I guess because I prefer black women over white women, I'm flawed because it's expected of me. Onxy was trash in their days and now my opinion. Yet I will buy a Wu tang album or common album? wow what is that called um well preference and taste.

The reasons why many doesn't have that Raekwon Mixtape is because it's not likely to find a raekwon album/mixtape over a cam'ron anywhere because hiphop is about supply and demand.

If hiphop would have stayed what it stated out before the multi millions, then it would be reduced to New york and vicinity. So lil white dudes from europe and scandinavia wouldn't have heard of a Wu tang or onxy. Idaho and Iowa wouldn't know what a Rakim or a kool g rap. Without the corps commercializing the genre, my people would be punching cloaks, Making plates for the cars in prisons, or dead. Thank you corps.

Over all I think hiphop is just hiphop, if you don't like don't listen but I bet you, that for every credits of the braggy raps that same person has an album or two and bump it daily. They are afraid to admit it