PDA

View Full Version : Bold Print vs. Glyphs

Urban_Journalz
10-18-2006, 01:45 AM
In listening to a variety of artists in hip-hop, you hear different styles. That is, if the artist actually tries to be original.

Some artists make a point that's undeniable. You don't have to think about it. The meaning comes to you as soon as it's said. One may think of Immortal Technique, KRS-One, Evidence,
and Rakim as being a few.

There are others that speak to us in a way that's a bit more difficult to decipher. Almost impossible to those who don't want to press rewind. People like Ghostface, Raekwon, Aesop Rock, Goretex and El-Producto are just a few.

At first, I was frustrated with the cryptic styles and my preference was to the emcees that just spoke plainly. Then as I got older, the less regular styles became a lot more interesting to me. If you really listen to what they say and try to connect the dots, you tend to come up with some really interesting verses. Though unorthodox, it makes you think. I mean MAKES you think. In most cases like Aesop Rock, most of his fans have no idea what he's saying, all they hear is Blockhead's beat. Personally, it took me about 30 something listens of "Labor Days" to really start to figure out what songs other than "One Brick" "Flashflood" and that one about "Lucy" were saying. Of course, the song where he's saying, "Try saving something other than hip-hop and maybe hip-hop will save you from a pit-stop." spoke for itself.

My point is, a lot of people tend to diss people who speak in codes. Either that or just automatically say they're tight because they, the listener, has NO idea what's being said.
No artist can speak jibberish without getting talked about. CappaDonna proved this.:yessad:

I like both because whenever I feel like chillin' and hearing something right to the point, or just flat out expressing my hatred for most new "music", I'll play KRS-One or Immortal Technique.

For those times when it's more about me though, those intricate verses serve well because they teach the listener to listen.
Like, "Here, figure it out." Though all of them are tight as a whole, I think the cryptic emcees should be held just as high as anyone else we call tight because of the fact that they took the time to think outside the box and help us grow in the process.

What about you??
Bold Print?
Cryptic?
Both?
Why?

Sicka than aidZ
10-18-2006, 01:48 AM
IMA READ THIS LATER. PEACE HOLMEZ'