PDA

View Full Version : Rap Music Is Dead.. Not Hip-Hop

Last_Chamber2008
10-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Hip-Hop is forever, lets get tha clear and straight.. thats our culture and it'll never die..

NOW..

As far as rap music, its SHUT DOWN completely, and if you disagree.. name an album that has full-quotables worth buying and is heavy in all aspects (lyrically and production-wise).. IN THE MAINSTREAM.. enough said..

PDTantisocial
10-18-2006, 10:24 AM
It seems Hip Hop culture is dying more then the music. Going around the cities you don't see all the aspects of the culture being lived like it used to. Kids growin' up don't know about it now 'cause they think rap music is just about rockin' chains and ridin' cars and shit. Talking about artists online isn't really living Hip Hop culture either.

Koolish
10-18-2006, 11:45 AM
hip hop culture i think was the fad people were talking about, rap wouldn't die as a musical art form, but they wight have been right in that "Hip Hop" (the culture) was a fad.

tical2000
10-18-2006, 11:52 AM
Agreed,

RAP music is really stale and is so corporate now......nonbody in the mainstream is trying anything new, everything is formulated pop-dance singles....

Watching that VH1 Honours show, really reminded me how great/raw/cutting edge rap was, and how far it has declined into stagnation.......there are no WU TANG's, Public Enemy, ICE CUBE's, Tribe Called Quests, Beastie Boys today......all todays fresh crop of "rappers" want to do is copy what is hot, and get paid......rap has become corporate dance-pop, not much different than manufactured boy band music....rap has lost its soul

RAP is dead, like it or not

venex
10-18-2006, 11:53 AM
the mods better make a "bring da ruckus" chamber in this section, cuz these threads are popping up like every day !

if you think it's over, well than that's your opinion, stop all this bitchin'

rap is dead ! ok ?

J-Cee
10-18-2006, 11:54 AM
i Disagree..when it comes to Rap on tv, radio etc..the shit is dead in a way.
But theres a tonn of banging underground artists bring out dope albums still every year...
Thats why i stick to the underground and unsigned artists these days..thats where the RAW talent and hunger is coming from..Thats the real rap youll still hear.

Edgar Erebus
10-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Streets of a large SouthEastern Europe city: if you don't watch those wannabee G's who ride dirty in large cars and wear chains, you see:

- all walls painted in graffiti (true art, no shit... those boys are talented)
- b-boy groups makin' breakdance contests in public
- local hood crews enjoyin old and new school rap on music (from boomboxes)
- and you can find some REALLY talented MC's freestylin' on their local themes just for fun, and some REALLY talented beatboxers providing rhythm...

Seen those scenes?

Yeeeah, we definitely 15 years behind America. Is it bad? The game ain't dying, it just moved East ;)

R.I.P. Flor Killah, the very best Croatian b-boy

Funk_Dock
10-18-2006, 12:41 PM
i Disagree..when it comes to Rap on tv, radio etc..the shit is dead in a way.
But theres a tonn of banging underground artists bring out dope albums still every year...
Thats why i stick to the underground and unsigned artists these days..thats where the RAW talent and hunger is coming from..Thats the real rap youll still hear.

yeh, hes right, if u think rap is dead then your listening to the wrong material.
yea it aint the same as it used to be and it probably never will but saying its dead is an exaggeration.

THE W
10-18-2006, 12:47 PM
nothing about hiphop is dead. people are just mad that their favorite music isnt being played 100 times day.

TSA
10-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Hip-Hop is forever, lets get tha clear and straight.. thats our culture and it'll never die..

NOW..

As far as rap music, its SHUT DOWN completely, and if you disagree.. name an album that has full-quotables worth buying and is heavy in all aspects (lyrically and production-wise).. IN THE MAINSTREAM.. enough said..

FUCK the mainstream. that's not hip hop it never has been and never will be. It used to be a shock when a hip hop act got mainstream recognition, cause it's not mainstream shit. Nothing in rap has changed, the underground is were it's at, and always will be at.

tical2000
10-18-2006, 04:48 PM
FUCK the mainstream. that's not hip hop it never has been and never will be. It used to be a shock when a hip hop act got mainstream recognition, cause it's not mainstream shit. Nothing in rap has changed, the underground is were it's at, and always will be at.

Obviously you were not old enough in the 1990's (I see you are 18 years old) to know what you are talking about.....IN the early mid 1990's artists like NAS, BIGGIE, WU TANG, MOBB DEEP, SNOOP DOGG, 2PAC, BOOT CAMP CLICK, ALKOHOLICS, BEATNUTS, TRBIE CALLED QUEST, JERU THE DAMAJA, GANGSTARR, CYPRESS HILL, ICE CUBE, OUTKAST, etc etc....would all get heavy burn on MTV RAPS and RAP CITY......real gritty raw hip hop got played on TV. There was not such a distintion between UNDERGROUND and MAINSTREAM, the hot joints just got played. Today, you have to do the crossover dance-pop singles to get played on TV

....so yes rap has changed

Kenny Powers
10-18-2006, 04:54 PM
"Rap is what people say, hip hop is what people live"- KRS ONE at the vh1 honors

Dokuro
10-18-2006, 05:06 PM
church

oDoUoSoKo
10-18-2006, 06:47 PM
wrong, the rapping is happenin (whether its good or not) the culture is dissapearing because the rap is done with no cultural intentions.

staycreepin_n_silence
10-19-2006, 12:00 AM
hiphop isn't a culture. A culture is a set of share values and belief pretty much and well we all don't value or share the same views in hiphop. Hiphop is what ew identify with, it's a personality.

Times changed from the grimy days. The mainstream was streets I'll give you that but times and people change. Just like interest and if you can't understand that the you are the true retard. (aimed at everyone)I'm sorry the streets are different now. What went down when MTV and BET played those videos has changed. People surrounding has changed. Right now if you rap about killing people with sense know you are lying. If you rap about some stick up kid shit and think you will get radio play think again because the interest has changed. Just like the transformation from part raps to grimy raps, now it has moved back to party raps why? The demand have shift. The hood isn't the same. For the people that haven't lied in a heavy crime area(yet love grimy hiphop) you don't know the transformation from than to now. I remember when you couldn't go outside after the street lights was on, and I'm in Arkansas.

I disagree with you, I think hiphop isn't dying neither is rap. What's dying is the interest for it. Most people have a certain interest that isn't or hasn't been maintained. What it is, hiphop nor rap isn't dying just your love for it. Look around hiphop is involve in major marketing ads. It's becoming widely excepted. People in hiphop are become diverse, styles have gotten better. Flows have gotten better. Beats are more electronical but it still good. Rap lyrics are evolving from the whole I'll kill you. Rap is strong, what's weak is your interest. I was the biggest bonethug fan. had every album except for the last one they had as a group more than twice. I loved Master p and the old no limited. I loved def squad and bustah rhymes. Loved too short and love and Ice cube but key word is loved. Now I don't own anything released by these dudes in the last 4 years why, my interest evolved and changed. It's called life. Hiphop is dying, nor is rap you are just losing interest

mobSta
10-19-2006, 01:52 AM
staycreepin, u have explained the shit more or less clearly, the time has really changed, and the new generation right now are making up this demand in the industry, these young kids, teenagers really dont have any idea of the oldschool, of the streets, cuz nowadays rap is simply a business whereas it used to bring some really serious connotations as tool of social struggle for example. now its aint actual, cuz the values have changed as time goes by, those kids want clubbing having fun.

tical2000
10-19-2006, 02:44 AM
staycreepin, u have explained the shit more or less clearly, the time has really changed, and the new generation right now are making up this demand in the industry, these young kids, teenagers really dont have any idea of the oldschool, of the streets, cuz nowadays rap is simply a business whereas it used to bring some really serious connotations as tool of social struggle for example. now its aint actual, cuz the values have changed as time goes by, those kids want clubbing having fun.

true,

makes me think what this generation stands for?

....gettin fat rims? shaking booty?

.....like there is a right wing president in the WHite House and War going on, but if you listened to rap today, you would have no idea....rap used to be the voice of the ghetto

Visionz
10-19-2006, 03:11 AM
but its not now? I think maybe you lifted your ear too far from the ground. Dead prez, Immortal Technique, David Banner, Devin the Dude, Mos Def, Talib Kweli etc.....our current situations being faced are being confronted in the music..or at least in the music I listen to.