PDA

View Full Version : Sony says importing a PlayStation 3 is illegal

36chambers
10-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Sony says importing a PlayStation 3 is illegal

http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/pro-g/feed_news3868lrg.jpg

Sony is laying down the law in regards to importing its consoles - doing so without their permission is against the law. The news follows Sony's court victory over online retailer Lik-Sang in a case concerning the grey importing of the PSP. Judge Michael Fysh found that Lik-Sang was in breach of intellectual property rights when it sold Japanese PSPs to European consumers.

Sony is taking a firm stance on importing and looks set to follow up actions it took over the PSP all over again for the launch of the PS3.

"The law is clear; grey importing PS2, PSP or PS3 into the EU, without the express permission of SCE is illegal. Therefore, we will utilise the full scope of the law to put a stop to any retailers who chose to do this," a Sony rep said to GamesIndustry.biz. "Ultimately, we're trying to protect consumers from being sold hardware that does not conform to strict EU or UK consumer safety standards, due to voltage supply differences et cetera; is not - in PS3's case - backwards compatible with either PS1 or PS2 software; will not play European Blu-Ray movies or DVDs; and will not be covered by warranty."

There's no doubt that PlayStation 3 imports will be in high demand in Europe, given that North America and Japan get the console in November, which is likely to be at least four months prior to the PlayStation 3 launch in Europe. What actions Sony takes to prevent PS3 importing is yet to be seen, but the platform holder has already shown that it's more than willing to take the matter to the courts.

Very strange :mmmyah:

Sexy Jasper
10-19-2006, 10:01 AM
http://www.thisiswaiting.com/b3.jpg

Dokuro
10-19-2006, 10:12 AM
it a good think for us stock holders

............................IM RICH BITCH..................

RagnaroK
10-19-2006, 02:45 PM
can anyone explain the danger of importig a console?

Frontal Lobotomy
10-19-2006, 02:58 PM
None, its just Sony are acting like assholes. Like you'd even manage to save money importing from Japan or the US, given its $599 for a console, let alone the $49-99.99 priced games. Dicks, man, total dicks

shaolinsword
10-20-2006, 02:27 AM
$49-99.99!? you bein serious?

Bloo
10-20-2006, 04:24 AM
To an extent I can understand where Sony is comming from. Yeah it sucks but think about it. Europe and the U.S./Asia use two totally different TV signals, two totally diffrent voltage outputs. Sure, these are easy fixes if you know what you're doing with a few adapters but it's not the way it was meant to be used.

Say some british kid not knowing what he was doing hooked his brand new imported Japanese NTSC PS3 to his shiny, just purchased PAL HDTV. If the picture isn't totally fucked from jump it just might do something to the TV that's not fixable. There just went ₤1760 down the drain. And lord forbid if this kid still lives at home. His parents are gonna want compensation. First instinct would be to sue Sony for faulty equipment. But in all actuality Sony would be in the right and the parents would get nothing. Not to mention you probably wouldn't be able to play any games on it at all seeing as how the Japanese/American PS3 games are coded in NTSC format while European TVs are PAL format. You wouldn't be able to see anything.

Or what if this same kid forgets to get the right converter and ends up shorting out his new PS3 before he gets a chance to even see the spalsh screen. I can tell you right now Lik-Sang ain't givin out refunds or exchanges over negligence, especially on something as new or expensive as a PS3. Next step would be to contact Sony and have them replace it. But first thing they're gonna want to know is why you have a Japanese PS3 when you live in the UK. Sure, they'll fix it, but for the price you might as well just buy a new PS3.

So you see kids, yes Sony is being kinda anal about the situation. But all in all they're doing it to protect themselves as well as you, the european consumer.

Now seeing as how Japan and America use the same voltage and TV signals. All U.S. citizens feel free to import your Japanese PS3s as soon as you'd like. Then cry when you realize that you can only play imported games on it that you can't understand because you forgot that no one has had time to develop a mod chip for the system yet. :lmao:

shaolinsword
10-20-2006, 07:05 AM
Nah, the games on the PS3 are region free that's why sony is causing a ruckus about importing the PS3

Bloo
10-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Word? I didn't know that.

But even still the PS3 themselves aren't.

Tha Ill Shogun Lord
10-20-2006, 01:14 PM
so does that make it illeagal to import games?

RagnaroK
10-20-2006, 04:20 PM
^don't think so cuz then why ps3 is regional free^

BlooHook is that the whole reason for illegal importing?

eVoL
10-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Fuck Sony. Killzone 2 is going to be another hyped-up piece of shit; therefore, I'm going to purchase Xcox 360 for Gears of War

zeppelin2k
10-20-2006, 08:41 PM
x box
sux cox

Bloo
10-20-2006, 10:25 PM
^don't think so cuz then why ps3 is regional free^

BlooHook is that the whole reason for illegal importing?

Well not the whole, but one of the main reasons. Plus it's just a pain in the ass all around for the companies involved cause like stated by the Sony rep., It's not covered under warranty. Most people are willing to take that risk but I wouldn't with something as expensive as a PS3. That shit breaks and you don't have another $300-400 to pay off Sony to fix it then you got yourself a shiny Blu-Ray playing paperweight.

Bloo
10-20-2006, 10:51 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fc/PS3_XMB2.jpg

For those of you who haven't seen it yet. The XMB interface for the PS3. For all of you who own PSP's this is nothing new. Some people think Sony's being cheap about not relesaing the PS3 with it's own unique interface while some think it's a way to keep things simple. The PSP and PS3 aren't the only Sony products to utilize this interface as most of their newer Digital Caomcorders and HDTVs use it too. What do ya'll think, should they set the PS3 apart from the rest or keep the menu the way it is.

RagnaroK
10-20-2006, 11:05 PM
well for the ps3 price they should've done something different but theres no complain in my part is a good and well organize interface so is ok for me

shaolinsword
10-21-2006, 05:39 AM
Word? I didn't know that.

But even still the PS3 themselves aren't.

Yeah, that's what i read in one of my PS2 mags saying the consoles will play any games but they won't be compatible with the Blu-ray but I might be wrong

Bloo
10-22-2006, 03:19 AM
Na, that sounds about right. Just like the PSP, you can import games all day. But the movies are region coded so good luck on playing any movies on it. Not until they drop a mod chip for the thing anyway.

Fayth
10-22-2006, 05:41 AM
Fuck Sony. Killzone 2 is going to be another hyped-up piece of shit; therefore, I'm going to purchase Xcox 360 for Gears of War

smart move bro

shaolinsword
10-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Well we aint seen any shots of Killzone 2 yet (Well I haven't anyway) so who knows, it might actually be worth the hype, just like resistance - Fall of man

VDB-King
10-23-2006, 12:33 PM
They said this already a couple years ago. Every time it's the same story, last time it was with the PSP. IN the end it won't be worth it to import it, and Sony hasn't lived up to the hype since the Playstation took the world by storm back in 95.
PS2, missed out on all the network capabilities, and the graphics weren't that mind blowing, even the DC shot better at times. Their architecture was hell for programmers, only those conveted Japanese programmers from HIdeo & those guys behind ICO could pull the trick.
Also, where was the online component from teh PsOne. I remember the pictures of the console with the LCD screen and mobile phone attachment. PSP was nice, but damn that shit was just a mobile PS offering nothing more but graphics. NDS pwned that kiddo.

The latest in those order is the launch date for europe. And the absurd outings from the Oz representative.
Sorry you didn't have the opportunity to buy a PS3 this year, but I'm sure it beats lining up in a queue for hours on end only to be told the store has sold out.

VDB-King
10-23-2006, 12:36 PM
Sony Australia: X360 and Wii are Too Expensive
And now for pithy console wars exchanges.
by Luke Smith, 10/11/2006
38 of 38 users recommend this story.
We know Sony doesn't think Euro gamers mind the delay in shipping PS3s, but while they wait for a PS3 across the pond, Sony is concerned that the consoles that may try and pick your pocket this fall are too expensive. Over at GamesIndustry.biz, Sony Australia's Michael Ephraim pointed out that he's concerned with the Wii's price point this Christmas.

He's not concerned with it being a mere fraction (and available) of the PS3's pricepoint, but rather, Ephraim is concerned that the Wii price might fall outside of "family entertainment" pricing:

I think that price point is still not family entertainment because AUD $500 is a lot to fork out, but we welcome the Nintendo heritage of gaming where they can appeal to a broader audience because long-term that is critical for the industry," he said.

So buy an Xbox 360? Ephraim is concerned for 360 owners, as well:

It's still pricey, and I'm sure Microsoft will do everything they can, but if you just look at the offerings from each format and the marketplace that we are now playing in, especially PlayStation 2, it has to be affordable because we are talking about mass-market and non traditional gamers.

VDB-King
10-23-2006, 02:19 PM
http://www.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/10/wtfposter.jpg

Bloo
10-23-2006, 02:21 PM
I actually thought that looked kinda interesting. Kinda like Sony's attempt to give Wario Ware a run for it's money.

36chambers
10-23-2006, 06:00 PM
WTF... is WTF?

shaolinsword
10-24-2006, 02:43 AM
WTF... is WTF?
work time fun, more than likely a PSP party game

shaolinsword
10-24-2006, 02:44 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_Time_Fun

RagnaroK
10-25-2006, 02:25 AM
you know this illegal shit is very unfair to those kid that live in a country that only receive the most famous things if someone want a game that have little success or rare will be impossible for him to get it now

it just like sony is saying fuck you sony fans

shaolinsword
10-25-2006, 02:32 AM
you know this illegal shit is very unfair to those kid that live in a country that only receive the most famous things if someone want a game that have little success or rare will be impossible for him to get it now

it just like sony is saying fuck you sony fans

yeah and that's pretty much every RPG I want. We better get the Naruto game in the UK even if it aint very good I still want it

VDB-King
10-25-2006, 05:20 AM
Another big victory for SONY in their Popularity Offense.

Hong Kong Exporter Lik-Sang Closes, Citing Sony Litigation http://www.gamasutra.com/db_area/images/news2001/11391/Image1.jpg Hong Kong retailer Lik-Sang, long the subject of multiple lawsuits brought by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI), has announced that it will be shuttering its popular web-based export business due to recent suits brought Sony regarding PSP and PS3 trade.

The legal battles between Lik-Sang and Sony have been underway for years, starting with a 2003 ruling (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=1980) over the exporter's trade in mod-chips - concurrent with similar suits from Microsoft and Nintendo over similar grey market hardware - and followed by further litigation (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=6145) in 2005 surrounding the import of Japanese PSPs to the UK and EU previous to the portable's domestic release.

Last week, a High Court judgment in the UK against online importer Lik-Sang.com ruled (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=11346) that sales of the Japanese version of the PSP console to the UK and European Economic Area (EEA) are indeed unlawful and that UK law should also apply to Hong Kong exporters, despite Hong Kong law permitting so-called “parallel trade.” Sony had also threatened Lik-Sang with another lawsuit to prevent the sales of PlayStation 3 consoles to Europe.

The statement by Lik-Sang released today cited the High Court ruling as the primary factor behind the closure of the company, stating, "Lik-Sang.com, the popular gaming retailer from Hong Kong, has today announced that it is forced to close down due to multiple legal actions brought against it by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Sony claimed that Lik-Sang infringed its trade marks, copyright and registered design rights by selling Sony PSP consoles from Asia to European customers, and have recently obtained a judgment in the High Court of London (England) rendering Lik-Sang's sales of PSP consoles unlawful."

The statement goes on to allege that Sony failed to disclose in the High Court proceedings that a number of Sony Europe's own managing, marketing, and creative directors had imported PSP soft and hardware through Lik-Sang "as early as 14th of December 2004 (more than nine months earlier than the legal action)."

"Today is Sony Europe victory about PSP, tomorrow is Sony Europe’s ongoing pressure about PlayStation 3," said Lik-Sang now-former marketing manager Pascal Clarysse. "With this precedent set, next week could already be the stage for complaints from Sony America about the same thing, or from other console manufacturers about other consoles to other regions, or even from any publisher about any specific software title to any country they don’t see fit."

"That's the latest dark spot in their shameful track record as gaming industry leader. The Empire finally 'won', few dominating retailers from the UK probably will rejoice the news, but everybody else in the gaming world lost something today."
POSTED: 08.40AM PST, 10/24/06 - Brandon Boyer

VDB-King
10-25-2006, 05:22 AM
Sony: Lik-Sang Just Bitter (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/industry/sony-liksang-just-bitter-209806.php)

I just love a corporate pissing match.
Earlier today, in a bit of theatrical teeth-gnashing, Lik-Sang announced they were shuttering their online store because of Sony's multiple legal actions against them for selling Playstation Portables from Asia to people in Europe. Now, I don't in anyway support the lawsuits Sony filed, I've purchased my share of games from Lik-Sang, but I think Lik-Sang was a bit over the top in their response.
"Fighting multiple lawsuits in different countries at the same time and paying high premiums to expensive lawyers is an overwhelming situation for a small company like Lik-Sang. Launching separate court actions with separate claims and different judges is completely unnecessary, except for the fact that it helps reaching one single target: outspend Lik-Sang to death. 'Pay Beyond.'"
And then, after a few hours, comes Sony's response filled with typical outrage and bluster, but also a few interesting tidbits. In the statement, sent to Games Industry, Sony points out that while they have successfully sued Pacific Game Technology, which owns Lik-Sang, they haven't received a dime and that the company didn't bother to show up to court to fight it.
"Lik-Sang did not contest this case (i.e. they did not turn up and therefore incurred no legal costs). We have been awarded substantial costs against Lik-Sang which have not been paid," the statement claims. "We would therefore strongly deny that our actions have had anything to do with this website closing (we assume the legal entity is still trading), and would suggest that this release is sour grapes on behalf of Lik-Sang which is aimed to belittle Sony Computer Entertainment and the British judicial system that found against them."

OK, I get that, but then Sony claims that the oodles of PSPs that a number of SCE execs purchased through Lik-Sang were just purchased for "investigatory" purposes.
"The purchasing of PSP consoles by SCE employees would be for investigatory purposes. We would also like to express our surprise at a company releasing personal information about its consumers, as this is contrary to data protection principles around the world."
Oh, customer privacy. Good one. It's like watching a tennis match. Come on Lik-Sang, what do you have to say about that... oh and how about printing those execs' credit card numbers too. Brian Crecente
Sony denies responsibility for closure of Lik-Sang (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=20564) [GI]

READ MORE: industry (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/industry/), lik-sang (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/lik-sang/), pissing match (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/pissing%20match/), psp (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/psp/), sce (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sce/), sony (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/)

Seriously, they closed one of the biggest pushers of import gaming in the world. Just like that. Somehow I don't think Europe doesn't think fond of Sony anymore.

Sexy Jasper
10-25-2006, 07:23 AM
It's a good way to protect resellers. But on the other hand, this wouldn't have to happen if they did a global release so us eurotrash kids could get their overpriced PoS3