PDA

View Full Version : speed of light...

EYEKON1
10-27-2006, 04:35 PM
bored..heres a question..

lets say you are holding a flash light and you are sitting in a chair that is capable of going at the speed of light.

if you were to turn on the flash light at the same time the chair begins to move at the speed of light.....

would there be a light beam in front of you?

i dont know the answer, but would like to hear everyones thoughts on this.

Sicka than aidZ
10-27-2006, 04:37 PM
yo u dat cat blazin dem fr8'z? Yeah keep killin em god!!

Sicka than aidZ
10-27-2006, 04:38 PM

lets say you are holding a flash light and you are sitting in a chair that is capable of going at the speed of light.

if you were to turn on the flash light at the same time the chair begins to move at the speed of light.....

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew datz a good question when u high!!

EYEKON1
10-27-2006, 04:42 PM
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew datz a good question when u high!!

well then, in that case, someone spark the dutch, pass it around n' post your ideas! :P

Deft One
10-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Well if you were holding the flashlight wouldnt it travel with you perpetually firing light at the speed of light with you? It would be like the cartoon dog with the bone dangling in front of his head perpetually running after it.

Prolifical ENG
10-27-2006, 07:14 PM
there wouldnt be a beam in front of you because you are going at the same velocity as the light. if you took off in the chair a fraction of a second later, you would see a small beam of light.

here is another way to see the speed of light:

look at the stars. that light that goes so far away into your eye actually left the star millions of years ago. technically the star might not even be in the same place....or maybe not there at all.

Black Man
10-27-2006, 10:54 PM
No, you wouldn't see a light beam because you would not longer exist. Traveling at the speed would kill you. The heat produced would cause you to return to gas.

Lil' Ruger
10-27-2006, 11:25 PM
^^^ddidnt think about that but its true.

the silencer
10-28-2006, 12:46 AM
wow finally a pretty good thread..

all this race shit and wutever else Black Man keeps comin up with is boring the shit outta me..

7EL7
10-28-2006, 04:05 AM
thought travels faster than light

Civilison
10-28-2006, 04:11 AM

peace

how can this be further broken down?

if it is in literal terms then for thought to travel it must have somethin to travel in? if it is in metaphorical terms then how can that be compared to a solid science like light?

maybe at the end maybe it would be easier to say "thought is light"???

7EL7
10-28-2006, 04:28 AM
peace

how can this be further broken down?

if it is in literal terms then for thought to travel it must have somethin to travel in? if it is in metaphorical terms then how can that be compared to a solid science like light?

maybe at the end maybe it would be easier to say "thought is light"???

bingo - light and sound

we give it off and take it in

the light of the eye reached places our bodys never traveled

sounds nice don't it

can't prove any of it though

it does seem to make sense to me

the silencer
10-28-2006, 12:07 PM
i got 2 awesome physics books sittin in my room (A Brief History of Time and The Fabric of the Cosmos) but i havent started them yet...

im pretty sure the idea is that theres nothing in the universe that travels faster than light though.....

Prolifical ENG
10-28-2006, 03:24 PM
No, you wouldn't see a light beam because you would not longer exist. Traveling at the speed would kill you. The heat produced would cause you to return to gas.

that is true of it took place on earth where there is friction in the air...you are right.

when dealing with this area of physics, it is assumed to occur in a vacuum like outer space which is the closest to a vacuum....then again we would die from lack of air pressure.

7EL7
10-28-2006, 03:50 PM
what about different types of light and different light sources
its source has to make a difference in its projection no ?

Black Man
10-28-2006, 05:24 PM
wow finally a pretty good thread..

all this race shit and wutever else Black Man keeps comin up with is boring the shit outta me..

Why are you worried about what I do and say? If my threads are of no interest to you, ignore them. Apparently I'm the piece with magnetic because my name is in your mouth. Start a thread about what you want to discuss and then it shouldn't be so boring....

Black Man
10-28-2006, 05:25 PM

How fast does thought travel?

LHX
10-28-2006, 09:20 PM
we cant really determine what thought is

perhaps thought is nothing more than the result of things travelling at light speed

the fucked up thing about this question is that there is things inside of us that are travelling at light speed

so in a way, it is like we are travelling at light speed and at the same time, we are trying to determine what it means for something to be travelling at light speed

all these things going on underneath the surface of the skin, but they are hard to determine because they cannot be seen

in summary:
the speed of thought is a result of the speed of light
so
maybe it is 1 increment slower than the speed of light
or
it is the SAME speed, but light got a head start, so thought is always travelling a little bit behind

the silencer
10-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Why are you worried about what I do and say? If my threads are of no interest to you, ignore them. Apparently I'm the piece with magnetic because my name is in your mouth. Start a thread about what you want to discuss and then it shouldn't be so boring....
you made like 5 or 6 threads in the span of a couple days basically spouting the same bullshit.....thats why ur name was "in my mouth"...

and to top it all off, all u seem to be interested in is puttin forth all kinds of 5% shit (which i'm not knocking, theres some deep truths in some of the stuff) and ur white......

and ur name is Black Man....and ur white....

nuff said

Prolifical ENG
10-28-2006, 09:44 PM
thought is hard to calculate how fast it is, perhaps it is truly instantaneus. on the other hand what is the distance thought travels in order to get a speed.

the speed of light can be calculated using many methods.

LHX
10-28-2006, 09:56 PM
thought is hard to calculate how fast it is, perhaps it is truly instantaneus. on the other hand what is the distance thought travels in order to get a speed.

the speed of light can be calculated using many methods.

its tough with no definition what thought is

is it something that even travels anywhere?

Sicka than aidZ
10-28-2006, 10:52 PM
no thought is without degree of form...what that may be, i dont know

Civilison
10-28-2006, 10:56 PM

perhaps thought is nothing more than the result of things travelling at light speed

the fucked up thing about this question is that there is things inside of us that are travelling at light speed

so in a way, it is like we are travelling at light speed and at the same time, we are trying to determine what it means for something to be travelling at light speed

all these things going on underneath the surface of the skin, but they are hard to determine because they cannot be seen

in summary:
so
or
it is the SAME speed, but light got a head start, so thought is always travelling a little bit behind

damn man... this is a pretty good break down.

on the inside the mind and thought travels same as light out there in the galaxies and what not

whereas the physical shell serves more as a 'prism' for the thought to be reflected and slowed down to physical reality. this must be slow enough for our sight to acknowledge it.

this could be pure speculation but maybe the pure is more important than the actual specualtion.

peace light

7EL7
10-29-2006, 03:24 AM
How fast does thought travel?

24,000,000,000 miles per second

Lil' Ruger
10-29-2006, 03:34 AM
no thought is without degree of form...what that may be, i dont know

so if it has no speed is telekineses or telepathy not possible? if telepathy or any other power of the mind in that category were possible thought would have to travel to the object. and the person must be very intellegent i would think.

LHX
10-29-2006, 07:30 AM
so if it has no speed is telekineses or telepathy not possible? if telepathy or any other power of the mind in that category were possible thought would have to travel to the object. and the person must be very intellegent i would think.

telepathy
telekenesis
intelligent

are all tricky words to use

if anything moves or emits any sort of energy, the mind is able to detect the disturbance

perhaps we can see this as the extension of the 'feel' sense

when you are walking outside and say 'it is damp today', it is not because you are feeling water on your hand, and you cant necessarily see the moisture in the air (tho you can on some occasions)
instead, this dampness is something you detect with more subtlety

is it telepathic to say that somebody is angry when you see them with an unpleasant look on their face?
is it telepathic for a psychic to tell one of their customers that they are "looking for answers"?

as far as telekinesis goes: it would be something that would have to account for all the known laws of physics

some how you would have to use your brain as a mechanism that could counter the effects of gravity that keep things held on the ground

i dont know how

maybe through proper eating you could evolve a powerful fan or turbine between your ears that could blow really strong gusts of wind out of your nose or ears so that it looks like you are just standing there but you can knock shit over

stage tricks

Civilison
10-29-2006, 01:01 PM

thought must be suspended within other realms... mind, spirit, soul... whatever, whenever. we can only partially feel them during wakin state.

it all comes down to mental relations. psychology acknowledges different states of mind, different states of consciousness. different states are related to different modes of mental expression and even brain functions when it comes to wave emissions.

maybe telekinesis and the other thought sciences are related to different brain waves/states of mind.

it is said that all the states exist all at the same time and it is really up to us to manipulate the stages and ehxibit and learn different functions of thought.

theoretical abstractions

peace

Dirk Daring
11-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Yes you can see light because of the glass and physical which slowed it down why because light sees light through being light.

supremecharma
11-02-2006, 12:57 AM
:{ ^ :nonono:

the silencer
11-04-2006, 08:07 PM
nothing in the universe can travel faster than the speed of light...and nothing can travel AT the speed of light except light...(thus, light is fastest thing in the universe)..

and the way it travels, its not like u cood see it as a beam....it kinda spreads out from its original point..imagine like a cone..like an ice cream cone actually, a 3 dimensional cone....and light starts at the very tip of the cone and expands outward like the cone as it travels...

so the question doesn't really make much sense actually...

Prolifical ENG
11-06-2006, 11:20 AM
nothing in the universe can travel faster than the speed of light...and nothing can travel AT the speed of light except light...(thus, light is fastest thing in the universe)..

and the way it travels, its not like u cood see it as a beam....it kinda spreads out from its original point..imagine like a cone..like an ice cream cone actually, a 3 dimensional cone....and light starts at the very tip of the cone and expands outward like the cone as it travels...

so the question doesn't really make much sense actually...

The universe that we know of, nothing travels faster because we never measured any other entity.

Relative to another given point , it appears light travels in straight lines and spreads out in a conical shape because of the original point (that we assume spherical) and take an area away from the point. It travels that way because of how light "radiates" (no pun intended about radiation)

Since the sun is the greatest sourse of light and is 150 million km from the sun, and are talking about a small area around our surroundings, the beams of light are pretty much parrellel. Of course when talking about relative to the earth's surface as a whole it makes a huge difference.

the silencer
11-08-2006, 11:26 AM

i couldnt believe how similar this sounded to what u were originally asking so i decided to type it up...or at least some of it..

im readin this book called The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene...i recommend it to everybody, it makes all this physics and cosmology stuff easy to understand and interesting (he uses Simpsons characters for alot of his examples in the book..)

from pg 44:
"As a teenager, Einstein struggled with the question of what a light wave would look like if you were to chase after it at exactly light speed. Since you and the light wave would be zipping through the ether at exactly the same speed, you would be keeping perfect pace with the light. And so, Einstein concluded, from your perspective the light should appear as though it wasn't moving. You should be able ti reach out and grab a handful of motionless light just as you can scoop up a handful of newly fallen snow.
But heres the problem. It turns out that Maxwell's equations do not allow light to appear stationary--to look as if it's standing still. And certainly, there is no reliable report of anyone ever actually catching hold of a stationary clump of light. So, the teenage Einstein asked, what are we to make of this apparent paradox?
Ten years later, Einstein gave the world his answer with his special theory of relativity.."

there's much more of course but i dont feel like typing it right now...im in school...

CherChezLaMarauder
11-08-2006, 04:02 PM

in summary:
so
or

ever wonder why the concept of a lit light bulb appearing over someones head when he catches an idea exist? You just answered your own question.

CherChezLaMarauder
11-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Since the sun is the greatest sourse of light and is 150 million km from the sun, and are talking about a small area around our surroundings, the beams of light are pretty much parrellel. Of course when talking about relative to the earth's surface as a whole it makes a huge difference.

The sun is not the greatest source of light, FYI

hectis
11-08-2006, 05:12 PM

how can they tell how fast the speed of thought is?

Lil' Ruger
11-08-2006, 05:47 PM

each star is differant suns correct? are they the "bigger" thing of which u speak.

hectis
11-08-2006, 05:54 PM
each star is differant suns correct? are they the "bigger" thing of which u speak.

i have heard that the stars u see in the sky are bigger then the sun but the sun is closer to us so it looks like it is the biggest

Prolifical ENG
11-08-2006, 06:05 PM

of course it isnt....lol but it is OUR greatest source of light.

the greatest source of light in the universe that we know of we call quazars....they are the brightest objects in the sky that are the farthest. hence the rays of light from quazars are the closest to being parellel. We apply it to measuring very large distances...called Very Long Baseline Interferance (VLBI)

CherChezLaMarauder
11-08-2006, 06:16 PM
of course it isnt....lol but it is OUR greatest source of light.

the greatest source of light in the universe that we know of we call quazars....they are the brightest objects in the sky that are the farthest. hence the rays of light from quazars are the closest to being parellel. We apply it to measuring very large distances...called Very Long Baseline Interferance (VLBI)

the Eta Carniage i believe is in the upper percentile among the brightest stars.

Prolifical ENG
11-08-2006, 06:48 PM
It is true that the "Eta Carinae" is one of the brightest stars in our galaxy since it underwent a strange supernova explosion.

Quazars are not exaclty stars....they are thought to be the birth of galaxies.......since quazars are billions of light years away, these galaxies were born billions of years ago.

Its hard to measure the actual output of light from a quazar because it is not relatively constant.

Visionz
11-08-2006, 07:12 PM

so the question doesn't really make much sense actually... I was watching a show on PBS the other night about blackholes. They were saying that inside of a blackholes vortex things are swirling around faster than the speed of light. Of course, its all in theory and its fairly rare if its true but the speed of light is a barrier that is sometimes broken.

LHX
11-08-2006, 07:17 PM
seems to be yet another region we can refer to as 'the unknown'

the silencer
11-08-2006, 07:25 PM
blackholes are fuckin awesome to think about...

Stephen Hawking (the crippled guy) has written alot on them...IIRC, the gravitational pull is so strong that light cannot even escape it...the light that we do see is at the event horizon (?)..

Visionz
11-08-2006, 07:44 PM
http://www.prip.tuwien.ac.at/~nabil/astro_pics/black_hole2.bmpan actual blackhole (taken by Hubble)

They've come to discover that there's a massive blackhole at the center of just about every galaxy in the known universe. To me it seems like they're massive, galatic anchors to keep shit from flying all over the place.

GENERAL WISE
11-08-2006, 10:24 PM
YES, the light will move in relation to where it is situated

I.E if your holding the flashlight, YES

if the flashlight is fixed away from you, NO.

Olive Oil Goombah
08-27-2007, 08:09 PM
http://www.prip.tuwien.ac.at/~nabil/astro_pics/black_hole2.bmpan actual blackhole (taken by Hubble)

They've come to discover that there's a massive blackhole at the center of just about every galaxy in the known universe. To me it seems like they're massive, galatic anchors to keep shit from flying all over the place.

I agree. It makes sense that a black hole is at the center of galaxies. NOthing that we know of has a stronger gravitational pull than a black hole because even light cannot escape them, hence why they are black holes. Something like a super massive black hole would keep galaxies and all the stars within them rotating, just as the suns gravitational pull keeps the planets in orbit and the earths keeps the moon.

Its quite interesting that even on the smallest scale electrons revolve around protons and neutrons. Still waiting on that unified theory that links gravity and the theory of relativity to quantum mechanics...

Longbongcilvaringz
08-28-2007, 12:43 PM
thought = electricity

Prolifical ENG
08-28-2007, 01:38 PM
oooh i remember this thread. a lot was said....my knowledge of light and optics have gotten more rusty since this started.

If more studies are successful on black holes, we can discover more things about the nature of light such as the mass range of light particles.

DRUNKENDRAGON
08-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Aren't thoughts electrical impulses? If so, then they are slower than the speed at which light travels.

Olive Oil Goombah
08-29-2007, 08:28 PM
The brain is still mostly a mystery to us.

SubtleEnergies
08-30-2007, 03:51 AM
You can't accelerate matter to the speed of light because its mass would become infinite.

But I believe Einstein brang up a very similar, if not identical hypothetical question....he used to think about alot of stuff like this.

Maybe someone more motivated than me can google us some stuff ;)

EYEKON1
04-07-2008, 02:12 PM
HAHA...awesome thoughts you guys! . ...how bout we flip it like this....

same scenario...but this time.....the flashlight is pointed the opposite way from you...so you're travelling the speed of light going forward...and the flash light is pointing backwards...

if you turn both on at the same time.....would the light shining behind you be 2x fast as the speed of light??

6² Chambaz
04-07-2008, 02:18 PM

same scenario...but this time.....the flashlight is pointed the opposite way from you...so you're travelling the speed of light going forward...and the flash light is pointing backwards...

if you turn both on at the same time.....would the light shining behind you be 2x fast as the speed of light??

Speed of light is a constant. So, actually light always travels at the same speed, 3*10^8 metres per second. But if you were pointing the flashlight at yourself, while moving forward at speed of light. A stationary spectator would think that the light is also stationary.

Prolifical ENG
04-07-2008, 02:19 PM

Light speed isnt dependent on the initial velocity of the source. You are still going the speed of light relative to spatial position but relative to the specific light traveling in the opposite direction you are going twice as fast.

I think the question should be if someone was behind you, what would the luminosity of the light look like when the source is traveling from you at the speed of light. I am sure the light would look the same however it takes twice the time for the light to arrive.

6² Chambaz
04-07-2008, 02:22 PM

say the vector of speed for the light is AB and the vector of speed for the chair (flashlight) is BA'. since |AB|=|BA'| and AB=-BA', it would seem for a stationary spectator that the light doesnt move, as if it comes out of the flashlight and stretches in the direction of the moving chair.... if of course the light and the chair start moving at the same time

V4D3R
04-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Nerves used to be seen as using electrical impulses until a couple of years ago when some scientists in europe proved that nerves use light to relay messages.

So if you count the composition of nerves ;water, tissue (whatever path the light takes to relay messages) that dampen the speed of the light, you may have your answer to the speed of thought.

Thats my personal theory but the light in nerves has been proven.

6² Chambaz
04-07-2008, 02:32 PM

Hmmm.... maybe this way is more clearer. take an elastic band, and hold one end right in front of your face. then start stretching the band, perendicularly to hand which holds the end of the band by your face. the other end moves... while if you the other end is in front of your face

the silencer
04-07-2008, 02:38 PM

laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion...

if you're zooming toward a light-bulb in a space craft at 99% the speed of light, the light waves are still gonna be going towards you at the same speed they do to somebody standing still...

Visionz
04-08-2008, 02:12 AM
Nerves used to be seen as using electrical impulses until a couple of years ago when some scientists in europe proved that nerves use light to relay messages.

So if you count the composition of nerves ;water, tissue (whatever path the light takes to relay messages) that dampen the speed of the light, you may have your answer to the speed of thought.

I contend that thought moves faster than the speed of light (or atleast can, guess it depends what you're thinking about :lmao:) But lets say that I pause for a second to think about the sun, my thinking of the sun would gather the image much faster than the sun's rays could reach me ( 5 minutes) now maybe the thought hasn't really gone anywhere but it'd be hard to prove that it didn't right?

LORD NOSE
04-08-2008, 03:00 AM
I contend that thought moves faster than the speed of light (or atleast can, guess it depends what you're thinking about :lmao:) But lets say that I pause for a second to think about the sun, my thinking of the sun would gather the image much faster than the sun's rays could reach me ( 5 minutes) now maybe the thought hasn't really gone anywhere but it'd be hard to prove that it didn't right?

is electricity some form of light ?

perhaps a more concentrated form of it

coupled with sound maybe

water in air sound light mixture with a form

6² Chambaz
04-08-2008, 04:26 AM
Nothing moves faster than the speed of light. Einstein proved it

STYLE
04-08-2008, 05:13 AM

one problem with this...
NOTHING SLOWS THE SPEED OF LIGHT.
lightspeed is a constant. light may only be bent and diverted by gravity. light travels a longer path when bent, therefore creates the illusion of slower speed.

STYLE
04-08-2008, 05:22 AM
is electricity some form of light ?

perhaps a more concentrated form of it

coupled with sound maybe

water in air sound light mixture with a form

no.
electricity is the movement of electrons or the movement of negative charge.

STYLE
04-08-2008, 05:34 AM
lightspeed is relative to the observer. to the traveler the flashlight would be operating normally. to an outside observer the flashlight would be operating normally.

hmmm......
frying ur egg yet?

this phenom is similar to the double slit experiment.
when a photon is unobserved, it acts as a wave. when it is observed, the wave function collapses and it acts as a particle.

if nothing travels faster than light, explain this senario.......

a ball on a string.....swing it around and it creates a orbitasl path right?
cut the string the ball instantly flies away. right?
now think of the earth...its on an orbital path.
light takes like 6 mins to get here from the sun.
what if the sun blew up? would we orbit normally for 6 mins or would we instantly fly away out of orbit?

thought has no form. there is no media for thought to pass thru. thought is the catalyst for electrical impulses that initiate action such as movement and brain activity.

thought is the product of the mind

electrical impulses are the product of the brain

movement is the product of electrical impulses

6² Chambaz
04-08-2008, 05:54 AM
one problem with this...
NOTHING SLOWS THE SPEED OF LIGHT.
lightspeed is a constant. light may only be bent and diverted by gravity. light travels a longer path when bent, therefore creates the illusion of slower speed.

Speed of light is only a constant in a perfect vacuum. It will travel slower in gas or oil etc.

Tyler Durden
04-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Speed of light is only a constant in a perfect vacuum. It will travel slower in gas or oil etc.

That can't be right.
I'm not sure about oil, but I thought it would travel the same speed through gas.
In that case the speed of light would be slower in a country with a lot of gasses in the air than a country with very little.

6² Chambaz
04-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Every liquid and gas has a value, which determines how much it slows down light travelling through it.

That can't be right.
I'm not sure about oil, but I thought it would travel the same speed through gas.
In that case the speed of light would be slower in a country with a lot of gasses in the air than a country with very little.

For example, a rainbow is basically the phenomena of light passing slower through water than air

And yes, light does travel slower in air, filled with different chemicals. The fastest it can travel is in a perfect vacuum (no air, or matter).

Tyler Durden
04-08-2008, 08:02 AM
I believe you.
I just had it in my head that it wasn't the light that slowed down.
I thought it was us seeing a distorted image because of the gasses in the air.

STYLE
04-08-2008, 10:33 AM
this is wrong. light does not slow down no matter what medium it travels through. lightspeed is a constant. i know its tricky to envision, but its true. photons can not be slowed.
they can be reflected, diverted or blocked but not slowed.

a rainbow is not the result of photons slowing down.photons are diffused(reflected in many directions) by the water. it is the wavelength or vibration of the photons that slow down. all the photons of a rainbow travel at the same speed but vibrate at diff speeds which we perceive as color.

6² Chambaz
04-08-2008, 11:12 AM
this is wrong. light does not slow down no matter what medium it travels through. lightspeed is a constant. i know its tricky to envision, but its true. photons can not be slowed.

a rainbow is not the result of photons slowing down.photons are diffused(reflected in many directions) by the water. it is the wavelength or vibration of the photons that slow down. all the photons of a rainbow travel at the same speed but vibrate at diff speeds which we perceive as color.

Okay, whatever, forget the rainbow part. A rainbow is actually dispersing light, but that's optics, and got got nothing to do with light speed. But, I'm 100% sure, as my father's got a master's degree in physics, speed of light varies, depending on the medium. It is only constant when in an airless and matterless medium. (then it equals 299792458 m/s). And yes, different mediums DO slow photons down, it's just a matter of how much.

6² Chambaz
04-08-2008, 11:15 AM

Diff colors is light being differently reflected. Light (white light) consists of 7 colors- the colors of the rainbow. And if something is , say green, that means that the material/substance absorbs 6 colors and reflects the green, depending on wave frequencies and wave lengths. at least thats what I've been taught

STYLE
04-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Okay, whatever, forget the rainbow part. A rainbow is actually dispersing light, but that's optics, and got got nothing to do with light speed. But, I'm 100% sure, as my father's got a master's degree in physics, speed of light varies, depending on the medium. It is only constant when in an airless and matterless medium. (then it's the equal 299792458 m/s). And yes, different mediums DO slow photons down, it's just a matter of how much.

In passing through materials, the observed speed of light can differ from c. The ratio of c to the phase velocity of light in the material is called the refractive index. The speed of light in air is only slightly less than c. Denser media, such as water and glass, can slow light much more, to fractions such as \tfrac{1}{2} and \tfrac{2}{3} of c. Through diamond, light is much slower—only about 124,000 kilometres per second, less than \tfrac{1}{2} of c.[9] This reduction in speed is also responsible for bending of light at an interface between two materials with different indices, a phenomenon known as refraction.

Since the speed of light in a material depends on the refractive index, and the refractive index may depend on the frequency of the light, light at different frequencies can travel at different speeds through the same material. This effect is called dispersion.

Classically, considering electromagnetic radiation to be a wave, the charges of each atom (primarily the electrons) interact with the electric and magnetic fields of the radiation, slowing its progress.

A more complete description of the passage of light through a medium is given by quantum electrodynamics.

true indeed....

u are RIGHT.

while looking for the answer i found this:
faster than light
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faster_than_light

6² Chambaz
04-08-2008, 11:38 AM
So I guess I was right in a sense about rainbows being caused by slowed down light

LORD NOSE
04-08-2008, 01:19 PM
no.
electricity is the movement of electrons or the movement of negative charge.

so there is no relation between light and electricity ?

STYLE
04-08-2008, 02:01 PM
so there is no relation between light and electricity ?
who said there is no relation?

electrical energy can cause photons (light) to be emitted when resistance is met. such as electricity traveling thru air (lightning) or carbon filament (light bulb).

a photon is a carrier of energy. it has zero mass. it can only be defined by a set of probable possibilities. it is impossible to predict the position, momentum or polarity of a photon.

an electron is a particle that carries a negative charge. electrons can be encouraged to move between atoms. this movement is what we call electricity.

So I guess I was right in a sense about rainbows being caused by slowed down light
yeah sorta. the refraction of light (color separation) is from the photons hitting the electromagnetic fields of the media they are traveling thru. but the colors themselves are due to the wavelength or vibration of the photons. purple light travels at the same speed as green light.
but the slowing of photons is relative to the perspective of the observer.