PDA

View Full Version : The Final Fantasy XII Appreciation Thread

Bloo
10-30-2006, 11:11 PM
That's right bitches! Final Fantasy Time is here again. With FFXII marking the last Final Fantasy game the PS2 will see. But it's not a bad way to go out either with it's damn near nex gen graphics.
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/741/741991/final-fantasy-xii-20061027032956112.jpg
And would you believe that this game is running only half of the polygons that FFX did? Yet it looks twice as good.

They're throwing a little FFXII party at the local games stores here and everyone that pre ordered the game can pick it up at midnight, but I couldn't make it cause my ass is stuck at work right now. Damn game store is right across the street so I could sneak out just long enough to pick it up but I still wouldn't be able to play it until I get home so I guess I'll just wait...

But at 9:00 AM Tuesday morning, I will be up front and center to pick up my Collector's Edition copy of the last great game for the PS2 (next to God Of War II of course) And will be sure to report back here to you all and let you know how good it is. (Sorry my european brothers who still have to wait a few more months.)

In the mean time I will leave you all with more FFXII Eye Candy. Enjoy :Y

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/741/741991/final-fantasy-xii-20061027031022025.jpg
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/741/741991/final-fantasy-xii-20061027031031728.jpg
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/741/741991/final-fantasy-xii-20061027031026634.jpg
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/741/741991/final-fantasy-xii-20061027031033415.jpg
You can almost see the panty-drawers on this one :)
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/741/741991/final-fantasy-xii-20061027031439364.jpg
Yes, this is a Moogle. Don't hate, I likes the design.

born invincible
10-30-2006, 11:18 PM
im so far behind in my FF gaming... i have this weird thing were i like to play games in order.. and i was up to FF8.. almost done on the last disk and everything... then i lost my freakin memory card and had to start all over again.... never rebounded from that lost.. i still everything from 8 and up that i bought.. they are still in plastic.. hopefully one day i can get started again!!!

FF rocks!!!

Bloo
10-30-2006, 11:25 PM
You know, I tried to do that too. But I got fustrated and said fuck it so I just play em all now :)

Plus the fact that none of the FF games are related (except for FFX-2 of course) makes it that much easier. I was working on FFX before my sister overwrote my save game with hers. And I had all but two of the legendary Weapons and one of the Aeons before I went to go fight Sin...

shaolinsword
10-31-2006, 02:33 AM
when does this come out in the states anyway? cos we gotta wait ages till it comes out and I wanna see what pepole think of it. Not just people who get paid to review games either

Bloo
10-31-2006, 02:51 AM
Comes out in the states today.

As a matter of fact it came out at midnight but I couldn't go get it cause I was at work. As soon as EB opens at 9:00 I'll be going to grab my copy.

shaolinsword
10-31-2006, 06:42 AM
...fuckers

Razorsharp
10-31-2006, 02:01 PM
jus copped it right now... bout to start this bitch... =]... toodles

pneumatic
10-31-2006, 02:25 PM
This needs to come out for the 360.

Bloo
10-31-2006, 11:07 PM
:lmao: HAHAHA

Ain't gonna happen :)

Ok, after playing this game off and on all day (I fell asleep twice during the game - what I was tired) I have some interesting tidbits to share.

Yes, this game is good. But just to forwarn you, it does not start strong like FFX did, it actually kinda crawls a bit in the beginning. When you finally get to control your character it'll remind you of a cross between FFXI and Vagrant Story.

As for the battle system. The closest thing I can use to discribe this is FFXI. There are no more random battles as all fightable enemies are on screen just like you, kinda like in Chrono Trigger or Vagrant Story. All fighting takes place on the same screen as the exploring does and anyone familiar with the battle system in FFXI will feel right at home. Like in FFXI, all the enemies are not agressive and some will only attack if provoked. For those that do attack, once they notice you, a red line from them to you will form letting you know that they're comming toward you. Once engaged, all normal attacks are automatic once the attack option is selected. Magic and special attacks are executed on the fly and will take the place of the normal attack for the particular turn. Also the enemies in FFXII do not drop money, but they do drop items that you can turn around and sell, so no more hacking away at enemies thinking you'll be gettign rich. All in all if you're familiar with the battle system in FFXI then you'll feel right at home. If not, then this is pretty much what people have been doing online for the last 3 years.

Now, for the Licence system. As you all have heard, the licence system is pretty much FFXII's version of FFX's Sphere Grid. What they don't tell you is that, unlike the Sphere Grid, you do not gain your new abilities and atributes through the Licence Board. You level up just like any other RPG through gaining experience which controls your attributes like Strength, Defense and Magic power, etc. What the Licence Board does is it allows you to use new abilities and magic as well as control what weapons and armor you can equip.

For instance, you start the game with a Mythril Sword which is a Level 1 Sword. You can go buy a Broadsword but just buying it isn't enough to use it. Before you can you have to unlock the licence for Level 2 swords, same thing with armor. Now you don't have to do this everytime you wanna change equipment cause the armor and weapon levels on the board are in catagories. Like Level 2 Swords cover Broadswords and Longswords, Level 1 Light Armor covers Leather Armor and whatnot. Same goes for Magic and Abilities. Also, all things in this game (new abilites such as Steal, Magic, Gambits) have to be bought. Those of ya'll familiar with the old FF games or even FFXI will be familiar with this setup.

Now in addition to XP you get from killing enemies you also get LP (Licence Points) to use on the board. Whenever you unlock a new Licence, however many points it cost will be deducted from your overall LP. So think of Licence's as a way of leveling your characters a second way.

As for the Gambit system I haven't had a chance to play around with that yet, so as soon as I do I'll give ya'll the drop.

All in all, it's an ill game. I like the changes they've made to the system and overall the game flows pretty smooth from exploring to fighting to interacting with other characters. If there's anything else you guys have questions about regarding the game holla and I'll see what I can do to answer em.

Koolish
11-01-2006, 09:57 AM
probably one of the nerdiest games ever, but still i was pretty down with the new generation final fantasy (7-10), i'm gonna rent this to see if it's worth some devotion.

Dokuro
11-01-2006, 10:51 AM
You know, I tried to do that too. But I got fustrated and said fuck it so I just play em all now :)

Plus the fact that none of the FF games are related (except for FFX-2 of course) makes it that much easier. I was working on FFX before my sister overwrote my save game with hers. And I had all but two of the legendary Weapons and one of the Aeons before I went to go fight Sin...

tword the end of x-2 shinra the boy Genies descovers in the far plane thers a mass of amont of energy you can use there this is proof that X and VII becouse shinra discverd mako enrgy and what the compenys name shinra
http://pics.livejournal.com/imaria/pic/00021esc.png
just thougt you should know

Bloo
11-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Hmmm... Who woulda thunk it? Probably just a thing they did to keep the fans guessing.

Razorsharp
11-02-2006, 05:07 PM
4 hours into the game... a bit slow... and yeah... the licenses are gonna take awhile... update me bloohook... where u at?

Bloo
11-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Right now I just got out of the prison through the underground abandoned railway and I'm headed back to Rastenberg. Fought two bosses so far. A Fire Horse and a Giant Electric Spider called a Mimic. Pretty ass fights too, lots of special effects and damn near no slowdown at all.

Now that I've had some people in my party for a minute I can tell you guys about the Gambit system. General discription of the way it works is basically a set of automated commands that you can give the people in your party to execute no matter what you do. With this system you can litterally play out battles without ever having to input a command to your group. The way it works is this...

Any individual character starts out with two Gambit commands. They work like a mini programming language per say. You have two parts to a Gambit, the target and then the action, I'll break it down. One of your characters starts out with his Gambits set like this.

1. Ally HP>70% ------------ Potion
2. Enemy targeting leader ---------- Attack

What this means is if anybody in the party's HP is less than 70 percent, this character will use a potion on them. As well as attack any enemy that is attacking the leader of the party. The number position is important cause any gambit that is in the number one spot (Luda!) will get main priority. So this characters main goal is to heal party memebers first and attack second. You can unlock more Gambit slots by activating them on the Licence Board once they become available.

One thing that's cool about this system is that even with the Gambits activated you can still give your characters commands and once they've done them, they will go back to using their gambits to fight. Kinda like in the Sims where they'll just do whatever until you tell them what to do. You can turn Gambits on and off whenver you want but in the thick of battle (which can see you fighting up to 6-8 enemies at once) it gets kinda hetic trying to give commands to all your party members one by one. I heardly ever turn off the other party memebrs gambits outside of the leader, but when I turn the Gambits off, I keep forgetting to set my party leader back to attack mode so sometimes he ends up doing jack shit for the second half of fights. But just to give you another example I'll put down the way I have the main character's (Vaan) Gambits set up.

1. Nearest enemy in sight -------- Attack
2. Enemy targeting leader-------- Steal
3. Ally: HP>70% -------- Cure
4. Self -------- Libra

So in any given battle situation, the leader of the part will automatically attack any enemy within range, if the enemy attack back he will rob it's ass of anything it's got, he will also cast Cure on any party member whose HP is below 70% and will activate Libra on himself anytime it wears off.

hope that all made sense to ya'll

shaolinsword
11-03-2006, 02:32 AM
so is that gayboy vaan the main charater in the fights or do you get to change it round?

Bloo
11-03-2006, 03:21 AM
You can have whoever you want in your party. You're not restricted to having him fight all the time like in most RPGs. You can even change it so where he's not the leader.

But he is the main character so in towns and in cutscenes you will have to play as him.

Razorsharp
11-04-2006, 08:00 PM
i jus beat the Mimic dude... bout to play right now... what lvl are you... i think im at lvl 10... question... whats that clan name rating and the number under it when u save ur game... peace bloohook

shaolinsword
11-05-2006, 12:20 PM
do you get to change the characters round during the fight like in FFX? or is it party based like the rest of the FF's?

Bloo
11-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Party based, no hot swapping this time around.

As for that number Ron, I believe that's basically your character rating depending on how many enemies you've killed and missions you've pulled off.

Razorsharp
11-06-2006, 05:39 PM
[[Update]]
I'm on the skycity, Bhujerba or whatever... and about to talk to the main dude... forgot his title...

Vaan- Lvl 15
Fran- Lvl 14
Balthier- Lvl 15
Basch- Lvl 13

question bloohook... those quickenings... u start learning those yet?? im scred to give it to a character... cuz i dunno who should learn what... =/... tips?

Bloo
11-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Actually I just got to one of those today. I just said fuck at and had Vaan learn the one I found, I can't remember the name right now though.

They're kinda like the Overdrives from FFX. The only thing about it is you can only use them when you have full MP afterwhich is saps. There's a trick to using them too as the one I learned had some key combos you could use to make it hit stronger.

Lil' Ruger
11-08-2006, 12:52 AM
i wish legends of dragoon grew into a franchise like this 4 discs of wonder :)

shaolinsword
11-08-2006, 02:18 AM
never played a legend of dragoon game, is it worth playing?

Razorsharp
11-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Actually I just got to one of those today. I just said fuck at and had Vaan learn the one I found, I can't remember the name right now though.

They're kinda like the Overdrives from FFX. The only thing about it is you can only use them when you have full MP afterwhich is saps. There's a trick to using them too as the one I learned had some key combos you could use to make it hit stronger.

hmmm.... yeah... i made him learn that first one at the top... i forgot what its called... but how do u make them do combos?!?! =/... im like lvl 20 now... well Vaan is at least.. we need to find the Garif or whatever... did u get the first summon yet? peace man

i wish legends of dragoon grew into a franchise like this 4 discs of wonder :)

that game was ILL... i never finished it tho... i had the burned copy and the 4th disc was corrupe... hella sucked..

never played a legend of dragoon game, is it worth playing?

word... u should def. cop that game if u can find it...nahmean... peace

Bloo
11-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Yeah, its been a minute since. Been a few days since I've touched this game. I'm gonna spend all day on it once I get home. I can't be having you see the end before me :)

shaolinsword
11-14-2006, 12:22 PM
word... u should def. cop that game if u can find it...nahmean... peace

Gonna go on eBay and buy it when I get paid then

CHRONZ
11-17-2006, 06:54 AM
Damn, time moves fast,..
ive completet most of the previous games like FF7,8,9, and ive just started with Final Fantasy X, lookin forward to that shit.

shaolinsword
11-17-2006, 07:08 AM
Damn, time moves fast,..
ive completet most of the previous games like FF7,8,9, and ive just started with Final Fantasy X, lookin forward to that shit.

words of advice;

if you haven't checked out 1 - 6 play 'em now and may aswell skip FFX-2 cos it sucks

CHRONZ
11-17-2006, 09:57 AM
words of advice;

if you haven't checked out 1 - 6 play 'em now and may aswell skip FFX-2 cos it sucks

you means those "really" old ones, where you see it all in 2D, and from Above ?.. if so, ive completet those to,.. i meant all those new ones, i cant keep up lol, FFX is the latest ive seen..

shaolinsword
11-17-2006, 11:56 AM
you means those "really" old ones, where you see it all in 2D, and from Above ?.. if so, ive completet those to,.. i meant all those new ones, i cant keep up lol, FFX is the latest ive seen..

yeah the really old ones on the SNES, there's FFX-2 FFXI (online only) and FFXII

CHRONZ
11-17-2006, 12:04 PM
yeah the really old ones on the SNES, there's FFX-2 FFXI (online only) and FFXII
Thanks man
Damn i need alot of catchin up to do,
i have heard about that online one, but i didnt think it was a part of the "collection" naah mean, the dude in the game store said somthin bout "grindin grindin grindin" and no fun at all..

shaolinsword
11-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks man
Damn i need alot of catchin up to do,
i have heard about that online one, but i didnt think it was a part of the "collection" naah mean, the dude in the game store said somthin bout "grindin grindin grindin" and no fun at all..

nah it aint no one really classes it as part of the collection (all the FF geeks likemyself anyway) but FFXII is supposedly really good but livin in the EU i dunno

CHRONZ
11-17-2006, 12:10 PM
nah it aint no one really classes it as part of the collection (all the FF geeks likemyself anyway) but FFXII is supposedly really good but livin in the EU i dunno

i'll just check it out, can't hate on a game i havent tried yet.
Thanks bruh.

shaolinsword
11-17-2006, 12:13 PM
i'll just check it out, can't hate on a game i havent tried yet.
Thanks bruh.

no worries man

Bloo
11-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Yeah, no doubt FFXI is chill. It's a little slower now that PC gamers have moved on to WOW but it's still got a lot of activity due to all the PS2/X360 players.

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27840

Peep this thread here. I did a lot of talking about FFXI on it. I still play from time to time so if anyone wants to hang out (on the Cerebrus server) holla at me :)

Razorsharp
12-03-2006, 03:41 PM
where you at in this game Bloohook... i dont even remember where im at... gonna start playing again s0on... shiiiit.... havent played for like 3 weeks

Bloo
12-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Yeah, been a minute since I've touched that now that I've gotten my Wii. But yeah, last time I left off I had just crossed the Sandsea, and I'm inside that temple with the killer wall statues. I was able to find out how to beat them by blowing out those torches along the hallway. it slows them down long enough for you to fuck them up proper.

Razorsharp
12-05-2006, 02:22 PM
i ran away from the first wall... lol... but i illed the 2nd one... i forgot where im at... LMAO... winter break is almost upon me... wooooooooot!!!! so i shall duke out the game there

GecK0
12-08-2006, 12:12 AM
why are these games called Final ? The first was called final and it defo was NOT! It racks me brains...

Razorsharp
12-08-2006, 12:15 AM
^^to piss people off like you :D

GecK0
12-08-2006, 12:57 AM
It was a serious question mate.

Do all the games in common with eachother or all they completely differant?
Ive only played the 12 one so I am not all too sure.

Bloo
12-08-2006, 01:00 AM
why are these games called Final ? The first was called final and it defo was NOT! It racks me brains...

Ok, let me give you a little Square history.

Back in the 80s when Square was just making games for the NES. They had very little sucess with their franchises. Rad Racer (if ya'll remember that one) Was probably their biggest game, and that wasn't even that big. Well Square was going belly up. They got their top designer and told him that he had one more chance to do something big before they went out of business. The game he designed we know as Final Fantasy.

The reason it was called Final Fantasy is because it was supposed to be Square last game before they closed shop. But as you can see, that ended up being the game that kept them afloat.

Razorsharp
12-08-2006, 01:13 AM
WOW.... ^thans for the heads up Bloohook... word.

Bloo
12-08-2006, 01:28 AM
No doubt! I got a gang of this kinda shit.

If they ever do a video game edition of Jeproady my ass is there :yes:

shaolinsword
12-08-2006, 02:19 AM
heh that'd be a good show

Razorsharp
12-08-2006, 04:17 AM
No doubt! I got a gang of this kinda shit.

If they ever do a video game edition of Jeproady my ass is there :yes:

haha... thats like me and cartoons... well kinda!!!

:D

shaolinsword
12-08-2006, 12:29 PM
It was a serious question mate.

Do all the games in common with eachother or all they completely differant?
Ive only played the 12 one so I am not all too sure.

the only FF games that have something in common is FFX and FFX-2 as they are both set in the same place (Spira) and uses nearly all of the characters although X-2 was just a money grabbing idea

WARPATH
01-10-2007, 04:47 PM
I played all the FF I could get my hands on to this point, and mastered most of them too......but this game....

Fucking sucks.

How many FF games are they gonna make where the main character is a pansy ass orphan? Shit just doesn't appeal to me.

Bloo
01-10-2007, 05:58 PM
hehehehe

Yeah, he does kinda exibit gheyness. Just switch him out with another character that way you don't have to look at him :)

WARPATH
01-11-2007, 10:13 AM
hehehehe

Yeah, he does kinda exibit gheyness. Just switch him out with another character that way you don't have to look at him :)

But still the supporting characters all pansy asses too.

shaolinsword
01-11-2007, 12:03 PM
not like Zidane or Tidus are very butch though

Bloo
01-11-2007, 10:11 PM
you know, I forgot all about those two :)

But then again, both of them could probably kick Vaan's ass without trying.

shaolinsword
01-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Cloud's the most butch main char though. He's so cool he doesn't even need a mouth

anyway by the screens I've seen of Vaan (Seeing as we don't have it yet) he does look like a pansy

WARPATH
01-12-2007, 04:59 PM
not like Zidane or Tidus are very butch though

Aside from the frilly shirt, Zidane was the freshest player on the whole planet- pulling princess hoes, you can't hate the man.

Tidus was gay, but at least he was snappy dresser.

Cloud's the most butch main char though. He's so cool he doesn't even need a mouth

anyway by the screens I've seen of Vaan (Seeing as we don't have it yet) he does look like a pansy

Cloud was just a wannabe. Had everyone fooled because he kept his mouth shut. Remember when it was revealed that he was never part of soldier? Yeah that other cat that he idolized- they should made the game for him.

shaolinsword
01-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Zack died before the game was set so they couldn't make the game for him. And you gotta admit it was a cool twist and quite a few people I know who play FFVII didn't see that movie because they stuck to the story and didn't go wandering

2L8Lit da croatianMC
01-15-2007, 07:57 AM
The last FF i played was X. I'm a big fan of this serial, n I'll get it soon, when it comes available on the black market.

Bloo
01-22-2007, 04:02 AM
You can probably DL it off of a torrent by now. You'd have to play it on a modded PS2 or PC emulator though.

It's tight IMO, it's almost like playing FFXI only without the online part