PDA

View Full Version : IGN's PS3 Launch Guide

Bloo
10-30-2006, 11:17 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/launchguide/

For all of you interested, this is everything you need and want to know before the U.S. release of the PS3 in the next couple of weeks (once again, sorry to my european brothers) Flash required, but you all should have that on your browsers by now...

Feel free to discuss the details as well as the $50 price tag for the SIXAXIS.

VDB-King
11-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Not really great news, but I thought that loading times were supposed to be something of the 32 bits generation. I'm certainly not in for another 5 minute brak to get some tea.
PS3 Loads To Be Sloooooow (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/ps3-loads-to-be-sloooooow-198430.php)

http://www.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/09/ramsesII.gif More wild-eyed computations on why the 360 is superior to the PS3, this time (again) courtesy of lippy Microsoft blogger boy Ozymandias, who looks upon the PS3's works and despairs.
His basic point is that the PS3 loads are going to be molasses-slow. Blu-Ray might have its perks, but loading times aren't one of them. Compared to the 360's 12x DVD drive, transferring speeds at 16MB/second, the PS3's Blu-Ray drive limps along at 2x speed, transferring at 9MB/second.
What this means to people with cyberoptic jacks in their cerebellum, I have no idea. To me, it insinuates thirty second grinds as Final Fantasy XIII loads up it's next obnoxious random monster encounter. Florian Eckhardt

Following the next news, my blessing with console games was that they always worked on a console. The whole pro over pc gaming was stick in and play trial. You could buy anygame, put it in and you could play right away. There was no installing path to follow what would cost you half the afternoon because in the end you video card wasn't compatible and the right patch wasn't avaible yet. Well here goes Sony.
Ridge Racer 7 Takes 5GB of Hard Drive Space (http://kotaku.com/gaming/playstation-3/ridge-racer-7-takes-5gb-of-hard-drive-space-211402.php)

http://www.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/10/ridgefull.pngIn order to "speed up gameplay", a euphemism for saying the PS3's Blu-ray drives are too slow to keep up with the amount of data streamed from the disc (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/ps3/ps3-loads-to-be-sloooooow-198430.php), Ridge Racer 7 is going to deposit 5 GB of junk onto your hard drive. This seems like quite a bit of space when you consider that "stickers, music and race events" are going to be available for download too.
If all games are going to be like this, that means on the low-end PS3 you're fitting four games simultaneously, and that's if you don't download any other content. Let's hope there's a way for end users to put larger hard drives into the PS3, especially if we're going to be installing Linux and playing DivX movies off of it. Jason Chen
Ridge Racer 7 Update (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/742/742347p1.html) [PS3 IGN]

Bloo
11-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Damn, that's heavy news man. Especially with the load times issue. I don't think that FFXIII will have a problem with that though, I'm sure they'll use the same battle style as FFXII for a while to keep everything streamlined.

As for Ridge Racer, I"m hoping tht that's just rumor cause that would really suck. I'd like to believe that it'll just cache 5gigs of space in order to speed up loads and then free that space up once you quit the game. That would make more sense but then again, this is Sony...

Icurus
11-02-2006, 01:16 AM
It might be a rumor, but probably not. that not that bad though. Whats bad is Gran Turismo. Yeah I said it, let me explain. Rumor/actuality is that gt will start off with 2-3 tracks and 2-3 cars, and that you'll will have to buy online content just to get every car and track. Here is the best part. The rumor is is that it will cost you over the next 5 years, since gran turismo hd is the only gran turismo game planned for the PS3, over 2000 dollars in online content. including future maps/tracks, cars, customization and all that shit.

have fun guys.

Bloo
11-02-2006, 03:25 AM
Man that's booty as hell. That's worse than an MMORPG.

I'm tellin you, if there's any truth to this then Sony's gonna takea dive this time around. No doubt about it.

VDB-King
11-02-2006, 06:03 AM
Shiiit, sneaky sony guys.

Als the PS3 consumes twice the power of a 360. Which will result in a $80+ electricity bill a year.

Anybody followed the Godfather 360 debate? EA offered cheats and money on Xbox live, in exchange for credits. Do in actuality you'd pay to have cheats unlocked and have extra money in the game so you can buy better weapons or other stuff. Now that's a complete rip off. Such cheats should be included from the start.

The whole argument that is arising now is, do you get your full game when you buy it? Or do developers leave stuff out on purpose. What is a complete game, and what is extra content?

I think, that what they did on Xbox Live Aracde with the Godfather & Lumines is witness of the first shady game business dealings.

Icurus
11-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Well, here is how it works. Many game developers tell me that the 360, PS3, and i think the wii, have this great feature automatically installed to the system. Games can continue to have added content for as long as they exsist, so forever basically. Call of Duty 2 this past year has had 8+ maps added on already. So, if they want, they can continually add maps to that game. Online content can be added to any game on the next-gen systems. So, there is no proram on the disk itself. It's just that online content is based on developers and how many times they can add stuff. As long as your harddrive can hold it, then they will continue to add.

Icurus
11-02-2006, 05:57 PM
There is no shadiness. Its just that sometimes fans or developers feel they can add. Again Call of Duty 2 for 360, when it came out last nov. The online multiplayer had some bugs. People were glitching and there were lag issues. So, the developers updated those fixers. Dead or Alive 4, the same thing. So, many people were a bit happier. Think about this, Halo2 for the original xbox, they added maps, but the technology on the live then was different. So, servers play a part of it too. Well, halo3 for 360 will have over 30 maps. They can add as many as they want forever. They can add how many people you want to play if they want. So, they possibilities now are endless. They have the technology now, so they will do. Honestly, not being bias, but the 360 online might be stronger and better suited for this. The PS3 online, I dont know, but I think it will be just as good, but not better.

Bloo
11-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Yeah that's true and all Icurus, but at the same time some things should be put in check. Just like with the release of Oblivion.

There was a bonus suit or armor and a horse that you can purchase for like $2-4 a piece from Bethesda if you wanted to. They felt justified in offering it for sale to those who wanted it but come on, if you bought the 360 version of the game you just spent $60 on it, $70 if you bought the collectors edition and then you're gonna turn around and ask for $4 for something that honestly was so minor that it should've been in the game any damn way!

Now certain things like Map packs I can understand charging for. Personally making maps myself (back in the day) I can understand that takes some time. Not saying that it didn't take some work to render that horse and suit or armor, but I can tell you it didn't take them half as much time to those two things as it took Bungie to develop even one map for Halo 2.

Icurus
11-03-2006, 03:51 AM
Thats true, however, I dont totally agree with the notion of online content. I see what you are saying and I agree. Sometimes its just to make money, and its silly shit that they want you to buy. The problem is that people buy it.