PDA

View Full Version : Natural Cures

snapple
11-06-2006, 05:18 AM
http://www.naturalcures.com/

is the hype true, has anyone picked up one of this guys books? books are expensive these days

Prince Rai
11-06-2006, 06:41 AM
essentially there are always ways to cure several ills naturally. however many people simply reiterate info that has always been and make money of it.

perhaps it is worth buying those books, but the library will already have that stuff, perhaps even the net..

peace

snapple
11-06-2006, 06:46 AM
^^that definitly wasn't the answer i was looking for, lemme rephrase

has anyone checked out that authors books, are they good books?

Prince Rai
11-06-2006, 06:57 AM
1) i made an observation of these kind of books
2) i commented back to your initial statement that books are expensive these days..

open thread, open comments.

snapple
11-06-2006, 07:11 AM
word, then where do you turn for similar answers?

LHX
11-06-2006, 08:11 AM
i heard a lot of bad shit about this dude

check out the details of him at Wikipedia

here is a sample:

No basis in research

Another criticism is that Trudeau's claims are usually not backed by research and that much of his information is an overpriced repackaging of preexisting natural cure remedies. For example, "A Complete Handbook of Nature Cure" is a widely available PDF book with natural treatments that claim to cure a range of ailments.

No proof of claims

Kevin Trudeau has also been criticized for his inability to provide substantial evidence to back up many of his claims. Although he is willing to provide anecdotal evidence he has yet to provide evidence that such customer claims have been evaluated by a licensed medical practitioner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physician). As such any claims made by Kevin Trudeau or his supporters that his book or other business endeavours have "helped people" cannot be verified and are based solely on testimonials. In many instances where Mr. Trudeau has been asked to provide proof of his claims, he often misrepresents medical studies or cites dubious or fictitious studies. This includes, but is not limited to, a nonexistent 25 year research study involving a natural cure for diabetes at the University of Calgary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Calgary).

that being said, alternative approaches to nutrition are definitely worth looking into

but perhaps there are better sources than somebody who is obviously trying to live large off peoples general fears and ignorance

LHX
11-06-2006, 10:12 AM
i read it. its accurate. its a great book for the layman.
read the book and youll understand why "they" try to slander the man with the above bullshit. the pharmecutical industry misrepresents medical studies. why you think they put shit out and people die from it. or in the case of prozac get suicidal.

true

nothing ground-breaking, but nothing horribly flawed

the truth is: anybody who is determined to become a naturopathic doctor will become one

with or without a diploma or certificate

there are a lot of good internet sites where you can learn about health and nutrition

snapple
11-06-2006, 12:32 PM
i like books though, but internet sites will work hook me up. and PEACE to what palehorse said hence why weed is criminilized, someone tried to put me onto the book(and no im not fat or unhealthy looking haha we were smashing bacon and started talkin about nutrition and shit, turns out his younger brother is opening his 3rd eye and has the book, but "doesn't know where it is")

LHX
11-06-2006, 12:42 PM
www.whfoods.com

www.indiangyan.com

www.mercola.com

are all decent places to start (tho i am skeptical about the 3rd one for the same reasons as the Trudeau books)

ill post up more if i can remember them

My First Timbs
11-08-2006, 04:32 PM
everything in this world from the synthetic dopamine to the herbal remedy is a "natural cure"

Visionz
11-08-2006, 04:37 PM
^sounds like the same thing I hear from speedfreaks trying to say crystal meth is "natural" when talking about legalizing marijuana

LHX
11-08-2006, 04:54 PM
if we need definitions, then lets call 'natural' anything that isnt distorted by humans and human techniques

the more distortion and processing, the more unnatural

dr. frankenstein's creation was 'natural' too right?

people want to discuss things, and then they bring up semantics

shame

Civilison
11-08-2006, 07:22 PM
everything in this world from the synthetic dopamine to the herbal remedy is a "natural cure"

true... but also not true...

true. why? because the side that believes it's truth is unlikely to to think otherwise

not true. why? because the side that believes that it's not true will probably stick to their way of thought.

the tricky part about this though is that both parties base their reasoning on facts.

but a part of solidly sticking to 'facts' is also learning how to reject certain other 'facts'.

this is obviously debatable but i make my claims not on the basis of any of these abovementioned parties...

just my thoughts...

peace

My First Timbs
11-12-2006, 01:32 PM
everything in this world is "natural" unless it was somehow altered or made by "supernatural means".

i wasnt merely bringing up semantics.. im bringing up a valid issue that alters the perception of the argument.

humans are apart of nature, thus anything we do or "alter" is thus part of the natural world.

herbal tea is no more "natural" than treatment with gene therapy.

this is a serious issue and is valid because people tend to associate the word "natural" with a positive connotation and the word "unnatural" with a negative connotation.

if we begin this discussion with a ground rule that unnatural = anything altered by human intervention...we get rid of the subjective issues that are inherent in this debate.

ground rules and definitions must always be laid first and foremost in order to get rid of unecessary philosophical baggage.

snapple
11-12-2006, 02:45 PM
^^word, well im looking for shit thats good to put in your body i guess, since everything man-made government backed is polluted with garbage feel me? mind body spirit = 1

Civilison
11-12-2006, 10:04 PM

philosphical baggage is as inconvenient as a pack of gum in your pocket! you know? like perhaps what is the definition of philosophy and where does the word come from? but most importantly what the the definition represents and where does it originate?

that's more on the side though, but yeah... i feel you!

natural could simply mean a product of nature but since pretty much everything is a product of nature, whether in a direct or non-direct way, everything could be labebed natural.

i think it is more relevent to be saying what is natural in relation to what. cool, gene therapy could be just as natural as herbal tea. but if we kick into this a factor of relation like for instance health or natural medicine science, the term 'natural' in relation to that then changes.

meaning that the term or definition could have different twists on different intellectual ideas.

in terms of "natural" and human beings and herbal teas and other ideas herein expressed, natural could mean human beings not in possesion of technological achievements but rather common sense and simple logic. in respect to this statement, it would be more simpler or even natural to drink a tonic or an herbal remedy (tea) which of course could even mean a potent 'natural' drug (active element) that is not maybe acknowledged by allopathic means rather than manually manipulating genetic make up.

it really all depends.

i guess human beings have the intellectual ability to manipulate what is found within the natural world. us doing it is always natural but maybe what we do or produce is not???

unnatural is not necessarily negative. i mean if we look at it that way than a lot of things that human beings do right now are unnatural.

but it is different really because we simply work with the environment. the environment is natural for us to function in it NOW (out of being simply used to it). but if we lived a thousand years ago than maybe some things we would be doing then would seem unnatural to us now but the things we would do now would seem unnatural if we lived then (a different way of putting a twist on the term 'natural').

the idea is inexhaustible because it could be related to some many different things.

human beings, with the creative and intellectual ability, produce things in life. to me it's not like some things we do are natural (like herbal tea) or unnatural (like gene therapy) but rather it would be that it is natural or not natural how these things affect us physically, mentally and even spiritually if such exist.

i guess this ties into the fundamental and most natural things for us to first of all exist and then flourish in all aspects of our life.

it would be natural to do a painting altough the actual make up of the painting could be unnatural since its made of chemical elements. but since the effect of painting might be to the painter relaxing or enjoyable than if even though the product of human expression could be unnatural it is natural to express it.

just expressing myself here... it's cool to be building like this.

peace

1 l

check two
11-13-2006, 12:02 AM
I read Trudeau's first Natural Cures book. He must have made a lot of money off of it, cause it was originally selling for like $30, and he sold tons of those books. There are some interesting things brought up in the book. And I do think that there are some shady ties between the pharmaceutical industry and the FDA.

Though, like has been stated, you can find most, if not all of that discussion for free on the internet. Or in other books. Plus, I thought it was lame how at the end of several of the sections of the book, he would say that he wasn't allowed to go into anymore detail about a particular topic(he stated he could get sued if he did). Though, if you wanted to find out the rest of the details of the discussion topics, you could go to his website, and pay to join his website/newsletter. He said that he was allowed to go into more detail on the website, without getting sued, if you paid to join the site, of course. lol I haven't read his second Natural Cures book, that came out recently. Apparently, he's been selling the second book for free? lol

LHX
11-13-2006, 08:21 AM
everything in this world is "natural" unless it was somehow altered or made by "supernatural means".

i wasnt merely bringing up semantics.. im bringing up a valid issue that alters the perception of the argument.

humans are apart of nature, thus anything we do or "alter" is thus part of the natural world.

herbal tea is no more "natural" than treatment with gene therapy.

this is a serious issue and is valid because people tend to associate the word "natural" with a positive connotation and the word "unnatural" with a negative connotation.

if we begin this discussion with a ground rule that unnatural = anything altered by human intervention...we get rid of the subjective issues that are inherent in this debate.

ground rules and definitions must always be laid first and foremost in order to get rid of unecessary philosophical baggage.
the issue is that anything that is distorted by the hands/minds of humans seem to contribute to our self destruction

whether we do it purposely or not

Dr. Frankenstein wasnt trying to create a monster, but look what happened

there seems to be a trend whereby the more things are altered and processed, the less able they are to endure

i think the general sentiment is that 'unnatural' substances are substances that have been distorted and are the result of human intervention and manipulation

ie. once we get our hands on it and change it, other than the direct process of heating something and eating it, it is no longer a natural substance

Prolifical ENG
11-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Natural and unnatural are the hardest concepts to be sound by a group of people hence will always be something to debate best example is when people say "homosexuality is unnatural". And what the grey area is between them.

People use the term natural to describe products to convince people it is better for your own health and/or the environment. Of course if a product is labeled "100% natural" (whatever they are referring to) it will make more sales because of it.

Other concepts that have a large grey area is what is "freedom" and when does it become "irrisponsibility".

My First Timbs
11-14-2006, 04:49 PM
it would be natural to do a painting altough the actual make up of the painting could be unnatural since its made of chemical elements. but since the effect of painting might be to the painter relaxing or enjoyable than if even though the product of human expression could be unnatural it is natural to express it.

i feel what ur saying

but honstly, as long as we are apart of nature .. anything and everything in this world will thus be natural.

the chemical paint in your example is just as natural as the easle it sits on. they both were birthed out of nature.

Civilison
11-15-2006, 06:52 PM
yeah timbs...

i hear you

peace