PDA

View Full Version : Korea gets Down and Dirty

VDB-King
11-06-2006, 10:45 AM
In Korea online gaming is at a whole other level. It's much bigger and people do meet up with each other in real life. Besides just socializing, things can escalte. Escalate as in 28 school kids throwing punches at each other on the school yard.

Virtual Violence Leads to Real Punch-ups
http://img.hankooki.com/times/kt_space.gif

By Bae Ji-sook
Staff Reporter When a couple of middle school students first met in an online chat room last June, nobody thought they would meet face to face. All they wanted was to have fun using the online messenger Buddy Buddy.
However, after a few talks, the students began quarreling over who was the best fighter in the area and whose school is the best. In a few minutes, the chatting room was full of netizens cheering for one party or the other.
``Why don't you guys meet and decide who really is the strong one?'' The suggestion was cheered by many watchers and in a few hours, 28 middle school students gathered at a playground in Nowon-gu, throwing fists at each other.
The police said yesterday that it has charged the 28 students without detention.
Virtual reality that has been the craze of so many Koreans is moving into the real world _ violently.
Hyon-P, a compound word derived from “hyonsil'' (reality) and an online game term ``Player Kill's P,'' is spreading among people more involved in their online lives than their real ones.
The 28 students are not the only ones who experienced Hyon-P. Two teenagers scuffled on Kangnam Boulevard, one of the most crowded areas in Seoul, last September after they got into a row on a Web site known for its members' activeness. Their punches were recorded and uploaded on numerous Web sites, and the footage became one of the most searched-for video clips on portal Web sites.
Hyon-P is becoming a more serious problem as more people learn about it online and partake, also encouraging others to do so.
On online game sites, people often threaten each other with Hyon-P. The threat of violence is sometimes used to extort money from other players.
``It is not surprising that these situations occur in Korea,'' said Choi Saet-byul, a professor of sociology at Ewha Womans University. She said that Koreans tend to relate online life with the real world. She said online community members' gathering offline is an example of the two worlds merging.
``Because it is about violence, it sounds more serious, but netizens will get to learn manners and how to deal with online arrogance,'' she said. Online assaults sometimes trigger impulsiveness, she said, and people should consider that before taking any real-world action.

bjs@koreatimes.co.kr (%22bjs@koreatimes.co.kr%22)
11-03-2006 18:06

Wu-Tality
11-06-2006, 10:58 AM
good shit

Koolish
11-06-2006, 01:03 PM
i've heard shit like in korea you kill someone on a game in the same internet cafe as you they may come over and kick your ass.

like supposedly there's gangs but they deal with online games, you pay them some money they'll get you an item or something like that.

it's fucked.

VDB-King
11-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Yup, there's a whole serious business industry behind online gaming there. People just play the game slashing all day long to level characters, which they get paid for by other people.
And items are up for sale on the internet, although this is not legal by the publishers word.

Over a year ago, a guy in China was killed because he sold the sword item of a friend of his. True story. Besides that, there's stories of people dying from no sleep because they just played 48 consecutive hours, probably more. Some come with Anecdotes like, 'he said he was coming. And then he turned up dead.'

Australie is now going to pass a tax law on online gaming. So you're revenue gathered in games like Second Life and such, is going to be taxed. It's pretty shitty, but fair nonetheless. Fair against those 9-5 people that work in 'real life'. They got to pay taxes.

Lil' Ruger
11-06-2006, 09:47 PM
holy shit no racism but koreans are crazy lolz.

Icurus
11-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Everything you guys are talking about is true. Korea is crazy. They are hardcore online gamers. Dont pissed them off.

Lil' Ruger
11-07-2006, 12:57 AM
dude i can imagine a group of nerds jumping people.

36chambers
11-07-2006, 09:42 AM
I remember you telling me about that sword story ages ago Seb, was even on the news over here. Its fucked up. Thats why I stay offline with my PS2, incase I whip some crazy Asian's ass and he'll come and hunt me down and kill me :(

Wu-Tality
11-07-2006, 12:06 PM
And then they find... they actually have been quarelling with... Method Man!