PDA

View Full Version : ...why?

shaolinsword
11-13-2006, 04:45 PM
I'm not looking to flame anyone I just wandered why people follow religion? I could've put this in the "deep talk about religion" thread but it seemed out of place

Sexy Jasper
11-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Out of fear for the unknown after life.

Good thread.

Prolifical ENG
11-13-2006, 04:50 PM
Because they beleive in it.

Others may just use it as a blanket of hope and/or belonging.

Sexy Jasper
11-13-2006, 04:57 PM
So basically out of fear.

shaolinsword
11-13-2006, 05:05 PM
always wanted to ask a priest this

LORD NOSE
11-13-2006, 05:12 PM
[quote=shaolinsword;646779]I'm not looking to flame anyone I just wandered why people follow religion? /quote]

because their fathers followed it
many will claim that they were born into a certain religion
with these, their religion was not choosen by them

Jeremiah 9:14 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=30&chapter=9&verse=14&version=31&context=verse)
Instead, they have followed the stubbornness of their hearts; they have followed the Baals, as their fathers taught them."
Jeremiah 9:13-15 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=30&chapter=9&verse=13&end_verse=15&version=31&context=context) (in Context) Jeremiah 9 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=30&chapter=9&version=31&context=chapter) (Whole Chapter)

Prolifical ENG
11-13-2006, 06:06 PM
^^^^

yup...that is by far the biggest.

Another reason it because it was forced on their society to follow it many years ago

Sexy Jasper
11-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Yeah it's taught to children at a very young age...

hidden ninja
11-13-2006, 07:59 PM
it's also reinforced in our society.
in school, in the media.

it bugs me out sometimes,
people just have blind faith in this shit..
don't even care to question any of it.

supremecharma
11-14-2006, 12:11 AM
i chose religion off my own back. i was hooked on the white shit and knew something had to give. i looked in the mirror and i was a state. i had no one to turn to. i found myself walking into my local church one sunday and since then my whole life has changed for the better. i am off the shit, i am more polite to people i meet, i have more friends, more money and more respect. the priest in my church is an amazing man and he has done wonders for me. that is why i follow religion.

supremecharma
11-14-2006, 12:12 AM
so dont go knocking religion cos it helps SOME people yanameen.

supremecharma
11-14-2006, 12:35 AM
always wanted to ask a priest this

well prize yourself from your chair, get down the church - and ask him.

snapple
11-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Out of fear for the unknown after life.

Good thread.

hahahahah, no man, not at all..many people have faith for many different reasons, not every X is an X for the same reason, and not every X follows all the belifes and has the same values as X. it's different for everybody. don't listen to this fool.

shaolinsword
11-14-2006, 02:10 AM
so dont go knocking religion cos it helps SOME people yanameen.

I said at first I wasn't going to flame anyone I just wandered why people follow religion and I now have my answers

supremecharma
11-14-2006, 02:24 AM
i werent refering to you my man. peeps like with erika etc. peace

Prince Rai
11-14-2006, 05:00 AM
Religion has different purposes for different people, it's just that we cannot identify the purposes very often.

Essentially it is dangerous to view your own religion to be superior than others.

True positive superiority comes through personal conduct undictated and personal conduct self meditated.

Sicka than aidZ
11-14-2006, 05:49 AM
good post princerai
, staycool bro
yo

the thread starter seemz to hav
e a real open mind, i wouldnt mind chillin wit him in KTL in da future.
peace everyone

shaolinsword
11-14-2006, 07:14 AM
hah, cheers sicka. Always seem to be good in depth threads in here think I might have to come out of the digital underground sometime and come in here

Sexy Jasper
11-14-2006, 08:36 AM
hahahahah, no man, not at all..many people have faith for many different reasons, not every X is an X for the same reason, and not every X follows all the belifes and has the same values as X. it's different for everybody. don't listen to this fool.Relegion is fear. Being Godless truly is freedom. Too bad I'm agnostic.

snapple
11-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Relegion is fear. Being Godless truly is freedom. Too bad I'm agnostic.

who are you to say what freedom is? you sound pretty ignorant right about now

Black Man
11-14-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm not looking to flame anyone I just wandered why people follow religion? I could've put this in the "deep talk about religion" thread but it seemed out of place

Because their parents followed a religion. That is the number one reason why people are religious and follow a specific religion.

snapple
11-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Because their parents followed a religion. That is the number one reason why people are religious and follow a specific religion.

number one according to what? you?

Frontal Lobotomy
11-14-2006, 10:09 AM
Conformity through conditioning

Ginnsey
11-14-2006, 10:57 AM
i chose religion off my own back. i was hooked on the white shit and knew something had to give. i looked in the mirror and i was a state. i had no one to turn to. i found myself walking into my local church one sunday and since then my whole life has changed for the better. i am off the shit, i am more polite to people i meet, i have more friends, more money and more respect. the priest in my church is an amazing man and he has done wonders for me. that is why i follow religion.

im glad that religion has worked for you in that way.

but you dont need religion to become a nice person or have more friends, more money etc. or even to get off the white for that matter.

Sicka than aidZ
11-14-2006, 11:01 AM

that'z what i like about religion, it can be really healthy for you. it's got many good sidez to it.

stay up supreme:yes:

LHX
11-14-2006, 11:03 AM
people who dont use conventional religion usually use something similar

its just as closed-minded to be adamantly 'non-religious'

bottom line is - people need foundation

people need a idea where they come from and where they are going
and at the least, they need some reinforcement from the people around them

conventional religions seem dumb to a lot of people now because they have defined alternatives

atheism
agnosticism
etc

these are all pre-defined terms - all viable alternatives

some are better than others

- by better, i mean more useful

i would rather be trapped with a army of agnostics than i would wiff a army of christians

Sicka than aidZ
11-14-2006, 11:08 AM
the first half of what u just said L is what jasper was trying to say pretty much*;

snapple
11-14-2006, 11:12 AM
why would you rather be trapped with agnostics over christians? youre one prejudice motherfucker.....would you rather eat dinner with yellow asains or brown asains?

Black Man
11-14-2006, 11:18 AM
number one according to what? you?

According to life.

Sexy Jasper
11-14-2006, 11:20 AM
who are you to say what freedom is? you sound pretty ignorant right about nowWho's to say what ignorant is...

snapple
11-14-2006, 11:20 AM
According to life.

wrong.

Sicka than aidZ
11-14-2006, 11:35 AM
why would you rather be trapped with agnostics over christians? youre one prejudice motherfucker.....would you rather eat dinner with yellow asains or brown asains?

i think he'z just talking about the radical onez. ive met atheists and agnostics who were just as weird as over the edge christianz. it does sound kinda dickheaded the way L put it but i think i know what he'z saying. i dont know, this is a really hard discussion to have with out stepping on peoplez feelingz and shit. thatz why i give a whole lotta luv to everyone to show them i see this in a much broader way than or whatever im hardly making sense.(and its not cuz im on drugz) peace

shaolinsword
11-14-2006, 11:35 AM
what's with all the arguements?

Sicka than aidZ
11-14-2006, 11:38 AM
what's with all the arguements?

oh no man they aint arguing u just gotta read more posts from these guys they get str8 down to the point and make themselves heard. its all good.

shaolinsword
11-14-2006, 11:43 AM
oh fair enough. These are probably the best answers I've heard for this question for ages, cheers

Sicka than aidZ
11-14-2006, 11:50 AM
yeah long time ago i was ready to go off on snap over some stupid shit but i held my tongue and it paid off, he'z cool as fuck, u just gotta know his style.

shaolinsword
11-14-2006, 12:13 PM
fair enough, guess il get used to it then

LHX
11-14-2006, 01:38 PM

did you not read my post?

i said some belief systems are more useful than others

therefore
with a little bit of deductive reasoning, it would suggest that i find the agnostic point of view to be a little more tolerable and useful than the christian point of view

reasons:
tendency for agnostics to be more open-minded
tendency for agnostics to be more proactive rather than waiting for something to mysteriously happen

how the fuck is that prejudice?

the topic here is religion
my main point is that some systems of beliefs are more useful than others
my comment was a result of that

put the guns down homie

LHX
11-14-2006, 02:10 PM
for the record, I love christians

I love rain too
but that doesnt mean im in a hurry to be caught outside in a thunderstorm

Black Man
11-14-2006, 03:21 PM
wrong.

since you know what's "wrong" tell the people what's "right" if you can.

snapple
11-14-2006, 03:28 PM
since you know what's "wrong" tell the people what's "right" if you can.

well, from personal experience, i have a lot of people that i know who didn't have parents, or had parents who didn't play the role of a parent, and are now very religious and use to do very unrightous things, they discoverd spirituality by themselves, their parents didnt "teach" them how to be spiritual.

snapple
11-14-2006, 03:29 PM
did you not read my post?

i said some belief systems are more useful than others

therefore
with a little bit of deductive reasoning, it would suggest that i find the agnostic point of view to be a little more tolerable and useful than the christian point of view

reasons:
tendency for agnostics to be more open-minded
tendency for agnostics to be more proactive rather than waiting for something to mysteriously happen

how the fuck is that prejudice?

the topic here is religion
my main point is that some systems of beliefs are more useful than others
my comment was a result of that

put the guns down homie

i don't know how you can say agnostics are more open-minded i just don't understand that at all i think it's a huge stereotype, and i think it's also stupid to lump all christians into one group, cause if thats the case then youre right catholics are out of their minds

LHX
11-14-2006, 03:58 PM
ultimately youre right

on a person to person basis there are all sorts who practise all disciplines

ill step back on that

dont want to be lumping anybody into any groups

using the term 'christian' in its loosest form, im sure that allows for a lot of open-mindedness

i guess i could be a christian too

we can all hang out

in general tho
generic christian vs generic agnostic, i like my chances of getting a reasonable discussion from the agnostic

supremecharma
11-15-2006, 12:39 AM
im glad that religion has worked for you in that way.

but you dont need religion to become a nice person or have more friends, more money etc. or even to get off the white for that matter.

i know i dont NEED it - but it worked for me - the church helped me when i was down and out. now im up and strong and reppin my faith cos im proud of whats its done for me. ya get me?

supremecharma
11-15-2006, 12:40 AM
that'z what i like about religion, it can be really healthy for you. it's got many good sidez to it.

stay up supreme:yes:

*D no doubt yo!!

Sicka than aidZ
11-15-2006, 01:05 AM
nevermind bro, he just seems like he'z trying to start shit and that aint cool in this part of the forum. past my bedtime yo:b :b

7EL7
11-15-2006, 01:22 AM

fuck all religion and their sections

Sicka than aidZ
11-15-2006, 01:27 AM
fuck all religion and their sections

your the same cat arent u, lol, yall'z a trip

Black Man
11-15-2006, 02:08 PM
well, from personal experience, i have a lot of people that i know who didn't have parents, or had parents who didn't play the role of a parent, and are now very religious and use to do very unrightous things, they discoverd spirituality by themselves, their parents didnt "teach" them how to be spiritual.

Is your personal experience absolute?

Spirituality and religion or religious morals are not the same. And regardless if the parents weren't "parents" things are going to get passed down directly or indirectly. And a parent doesn't have to be a father and mother, it can be anybody who takes on that role in any shapre form or fashion. And being rigthteous has no bearing on whether a person is religious or holds religious values and ideas. How many popes, cardinals, or priest have molested children, partaked and blessed the slave trade, stole, lied, etc. etc. The same example goes for all religious institutions. Simply wearing a cross will influence a child in what they believe.

I don't know to many kids who decide for themselves what they believe. It usually takes an outside force. Belief is not natural, not for children. Children work off the premise of they either know or don't know, and when they learn from people who don't know, the learn how to deal with it. Phrases such as, just have faith, or nobody can understand god/allah, nobody will ever see god while they're living etc. etc.

Get you a baby just learning to crawl. Put them on a bed and observe. If they never fell off a bed, they will crawl off the bed. After that, they will know their limits as far as the boundary of that bed. I said they KNOW, not believe. Children accept whats given to them especially by those they trust.

Not knocking your experience, but there's 196,940,000 square miles on this planet, and your experience isn't a universal one. I know it's hard to believe but some kids do have both parents!

Broaden your vision and observe life and all it has to offer and you'll see there's more than meets the eye. Yeah, I use to watch G.I Joe.

snapple
11-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Is your personal experience absolute?

Spirituality and religion or religious morals are not the same. And regardless if the parents weren't "parents" things are going to get passed down directly or indirectly. And a parent doesn't have to be a father and mother, it can be anybody who takes on that role in any shapre form or fashion. And being rigthteous has no bearing on whether a person is religious or holds religious values and ideas. How many popes, cardinals, or priest have molested children, partaked and blessed the slave trade, stole, lied, etc. etc. The same example goes for all religious institutions. Simply wearing a cross will influence a child in what they believe.

I don't know to many kids who decide for themselves what they believe. It usually takes an outside force. Belief is not natural, not for children. Children work off the premise of they either know or don't know, and when they learn from people who don't know, the learn how to deal with it. Phrases such as, just have faith, or nobody can understand god/allah, nobody will ever see god while they're living etc. etc.

Get you a baby just learning to crawl. Put them on a bed and observe. If they never fell off a bed, they will crawl off the bed. After that, they will know their limits as far as the boundary of that bed. I said they KNOW, not believe. Children accept whats given to them especially by those they trust.

Not knocking your experience, but there's 196,940,000 square miles on this planet, and your experience isn't a universal one. I know it's hard to believe but some kids do have both parents!

Broaden your vision and observe life and all it has to offer and you'll see there's more than meets the eye. Yeah, I use to watch G.I Joe.

you're arguing for the sake of arguing, and thats weak. you made a sterotypical statement that i know for a fact isn't true, it was just a dumb general statement, you don't gotta flap....you were wrong for saying what you said because it doesn't hold truth, and yes many parents or parent like figures put people onto relegion, but that is not always the case.

Sicka than aidZ
11-16-2006, 04:28 AM
ultimately youre right

on a person to person basis there are all sorts who practise all disciplines

ill step back on that

dont want to be lumping anybody into any groups

using the term 'christian' in its loosest form, im sure that allows for a lot of open-mindedness

i guess i could be a christian too

we can all hang out

in general tho
generic christian vs generic agnostic, i like my chances of getting a reasonable discussion from the agnostic
smokin da good bud

Black Man
11-16-2006, 11:17 AM
you're arguing for the sake of arguing, and thats weak. you made a sterotypical statement that i know for a fact isn't true, it was just a dumb general statement, you don't gotta flap....you were wrong for saying what you said because it doesn't hold truth, and yes many parents or parent like figures put people onto relegion, but that is not always the case.

As I said before, I don't argue. Your reply is WEAK, arguing for the sake of arguing(that sounds like a person who knows within themselves they're wrong but to weak to admit it). My statement isn't a stereotype either. You might wanna find out what a stereotype is. You say you know something for a fact but when I asked for the right answer all you could tell me was about your experience. (It may be a relative fact to you, but not everybody as you'll eventually say). As if your experience is the experience of all people. And I may have made a general statement; as did you by the way, that doesn't mean it doesn't hold any truth.

Now let's examine what you snapple said. and yes many parents or parent like figures put people onto relegion Those are your words not mine. In one point in time you disagree with me, then you agree. Which is it? Is it a general statement, a wrong statement, or is it a stereotype? And I didn't say anything was absolute. I did however give an answer.

I know my answer is right. It may not be right and exact, b.u.t it's right. There is no one right and exact answer for the question at hand. Everybody that I went to school with (elementary to high school) that I know, the religion they were in school was the same religion of their parents. Outside of school, the majority of the people I know and come in contact with who have a religion have the same religion as their parents. Can't find answers like that in a BOOK, that takes thorough observation. A person has to want to know why a particular thing is done and take the steps necessary to find out. Not saying that you didn't do anything to actually find out, but I doubt it. On that its a chance that I'm wrong.

Scientific Method. I use that to actually know what I'm talking about versus me just giving my opinion. I go outside my personal experience and talk to multitudes from all walks of life and find out about them.

snapple
11-16-2006, 11:19 AM
we don't see shit the same way at all man, some people discover shit on their own, if you don't believe that whatever, PEACE

Black Man
11-16-2006, 01:50 PM
we don't see shit the same way at all man, some people discover shit on their own, if you don't believe that whatever, PEACE

Reading comprehension??? Look at what you just said, "some people discover..." at what point did I say everybody or anything absolute? Reading comprehension? :nonono: I agree smiley.

snapple
11-16-2006, 02:02 PM
"Because their parents followed a religion. That is the number one reason why people are religious and follow a specific religion."

ohh number one reason, i wasn't aware there was a list of reasons, i guess personal discovery would be tiered where on your list? excuse me

Black Man
11-16-2006, 03:47 PM
"Because their parents followed a religion. That is the number one reason why people are religious and follow a specific religion."

ohh number one reason, i wasn't aware there was a list of reasons, i guess personal discovery would be tiered where on your list? excuse me

You've now been made aware.

Personal reasons is a reason why people follow religion, but it's not the norm. It's really simple, but you want to make it more than what it is. Again, I'm going to ask, is your personal experience the absolute reality of everybody else?

supremecharma
11-17-2006, 12:40 AM
white man you are a card arent you........

snapple
11-17-2006, 01:20 PM
You've now been made aware.

Personal reasons is a reason why people follow religion, but it's not the norm. It's really simple, but you want to make it more than what it is. Again, I'm going to ask, is your personal experience the absolute reality of everybody else?

nothing is absolute. humans are unique beings. each and every one of us.

Black Man
11-17-2006, 02:21 PM
nothing is absolute. humans are unique beings. each and every one of us.

Nothing don't exist. And there's many things that are absolute.

snapple
11-17-2006, 02:32 PM
i can't think of any, it seems that there is always an exception to the rule. but hey....

Black Man
11-17-2006, 02:59 PM
i can't think of any, it seems that there is always an exception to the rule. but hey....

Things that are "relative" have to be relative to something and that's the "absolute"

you