PDA

View Full Version : Jay-Z Album Leaks On MySpace, Universal Files Lawsuit Against News Corp.

LORD ZERO
11-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Universal Music (http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6419#) Group, the parent company of Island Def Jam, filed a lawsuit against MySpace.com's corporate parent News Corp. on Friday (Nov. 17), claiming the popular Internet site is guilty of copyright infringement.

UMG, the world's largest label, filed the lawsuit in U.S. District Court for California's Central District, after Jay-Z's highly anticipated come back album Kingdom Come was leaked on MySpace.com.

The entire album hit the Internet last week and has been traded en masse across the Internet and heavily bootlegged around the country.

"I'm sure it's cut into our sales, and not by a small amount," Antonio' "LA" Reid said. "Even if it [sells] a million units it's not what it should have been."

UMG and MySpace had been negotiating a deal that called for News Corp. to pay a licensing fee for Universal content.

The deal stalled when UMG requested that News Corp. also pay restitution for content that had previously appeared on MySpace.

MySpace is in the process of testing digital rights management software to report and remove files that infringe on an owners copyright.

"Notwithstanding MySpace's frank admission that it is 'unable,' i.e., prohibited by law, from offering its music and video services without first obtaining the permission of the copyright owner, MySpace has knowing and intentionally operated its business on the fiction that it has obtained the licenses it needs to exist from members that MySpace well knows are not the true copyright owners," the suit stated.

UMG seeks $150,000 in damages for 58 songs and videos MySpace allegedly infringed upon.

MySpace.com representatives were confident that they would "prevail in court."

http://allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=6419

Prolifical ENG
11-20-2006, 07:29 PM
lmao, myspace is least to blame for album leaks.

crass
11-20-2006, 07:39 PM
yeah really. i can't think of a major label album from the last few years that hasn't been leaked

Kenny Powers
11-20-2006, 07:51 PM
lmao, myspace is least to blame for album leaks.

- haha, yeah but myspace has a shitload of money and im sure umg will be taking plenty of it...

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
11-20-2006, 07:51 PM
there blaming myspace lol did it even start there? and what about all the other artists who leak? man fuck jay-z

INF
11-20-2006, 08:00 PM
I thought that leaks start at the studio or label office. Right? Some snake lets that shit go then it snowballs. Thats what I understood was happining in a leak situation.

LORD ZERO
11-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Once Again

Fuck Gay Z And Defscam

INF
11-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Once Again

Fuck Gay Z And Defscam

Zero, have you ever liked Hov or DefJam? I see you can peep the bullshit now a days but was there ever a day when you though that the shit was poppin?

LORD ZERO
11-20-2006, 08:25 PM
oh hell yeah, i used to always think defjam was poppin and hov at one time but defscam be on some bullshit now i think nah mean w/ all da favortism goin on inside it since hov is now da president of da company

INF
11-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. It aint right but what can you do. Ya know? Its fucked up and as much as Jay says he cares for hip-hop, he becomes a hypocrite at times.

LORD ZERO
11-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Word 2 Dat God

xHard to Earnx
11-20-2006, 10:13 PM
Once Again

Fuck Gay Z And Defscam

You are fucking stupid.

LORD ZERO
11-22-2006, 09:27 PM
You are fucking stupid.

WANNA ELABORATE ON HOW? CUNT

xHard to Earnx
11-22-2006, 10:49 PM
WANNA ELABORATE ON HOW? CUNT

Well, first off, you seem to think that "gay" is something worth insulting someone over in a serious manner. As if someone's sexual preference holds any weight in the real world. Not to mention the high level of sexism in the use of "cunt."

Second, Def Jam and Jay-Z have nothing to do with their parent company suing. Not to mention that it makes absolutely no sense to refer to them as "Def Scam."

Third, you are a hater. We get it. You can quit posting the exact same thing over and over, you fucking homo.

Dirty Knowledge
11-23-2006, 01:18 AM
Jay-Z album is weak as fuck anyway MySpace should give them 5 Mil to shut them the fuck up so maybe his next album he can afford some hot beats.