PDA

View Full Version : Is It Me, Or Is It Hip Hop?

noel411
11-20-2006, 08:51 PM
Iíve found myself unable to get into the vast majority of new hip hop for roughly a couple of years now. There have only been 3 releases this year which I am still listening to, and have had any desire to continue listening to after a week or 2 of initially hearing the album. Last year was a little better. I think there were about 5 or so albums which Iím still listening to. Itís not that modern hip hop is bad music. I just find it so unappealing and not captivating in the least.

Iíve been wondering lately if maybe itís just me. If maybe Iíve just lost interest in hip hop and thatís why I canít get into new stuff. Even older artists whose previous releases I dig, I often find myself unable to get into their new albums. But then I still constantly bump old favourites and the few albums from the last few years which Iím into, and donít seem to have lost any love for them. Hip hop is still unquestionably my main musical interest. I just canít get into new stuff.

So, is it me or is it hip hop in general? How many people here can empathise with me?

INF
11-20-2006, 08:56 PM
It might be you man. These is great times for hip-hop. There is a transition going on.

12weLvE
11-20-2006, 09:05 PM
I am with Infnity, this is a real great time for hip-hop.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
11-20-2006, 09:48 PM
90% of what I listen to is from the 90s right now

.... until something dope drops like a stonethrows or a ghost album

Prolifical ENG
11-20-2006, 10:05 PM
I dunno....even the newest commercial albums that are being released I like.

If hip-hop is your main genre, maybe you need to listen to it a little less and listen to some other stuff, then come back to it.

TAURO
11-20-2006, 10:08 PM
It might be you man. These is great times for hip-hop. There is a transition going on.

Co-sign

If hip-hop is your main genre, maybe you need to listen to it a little less and listen to some other stuff, then come back to it.

Thats a good idea, sometimes I find it happening to me so I just switch what im listening too......makes all the difference I think.

Longbongcilvaringz
11-20-2006, 10:18 PM
the era of the 90's is over, and all the classic hip hop from it is also.

any replicas (with only a few exceptions) are pretty much destined to be inferior to the albums which most people here base the following of hip hop on.

occasionally there are glimses are great/good hip hop, and imo people tend to exagerate the quality of these albums due the the contrastingly poor quality of general hip hop.

people may like to say that hip hop is coming back, and maybe it is coming back from poor previous years, but nothing will ccompare to the era of hip hop which most people here like.

not wanting to be pessimistic, but until multiple classic quality albums are being dropped each year i dont think people can say that hip hop is really making any sort of come back.

think of one year up until the late 90's and everyone can list probably 5 to 10 classics/personal classics, try doing post 99 and albums like "College Dropout" and "The Black Album" start coming up as classics. if these had come out in the golden era of hip hop they would have been classed as mediocre or good albums, but in no way classic hip hop.

yeah, so hip hop is dead and stuff lol, but there is still good music just less of it.

INF
11-20-2006, 10:24 PM

And this quote is most likely what makes ENG a dope Mod. You gotta keep things fresh so you gotta switch up.

SaqurakiHanamichi
11-20-2006, 10:31 PM
im with noel

whitey
11-20-2006, 10:36 PM
nah dude your right on. most shit really does suck these days. i think people try and fool themselves into thinking just because its the best out, its good. thats bollucks. all music is measured up to a certain standard and i dont think that should change. only some shit that is out today is good music. and its not a lot.

but shit like the new clipse, thats hot compaired to whatever. a lot of doom stuff is hot compaired to whatever.

im hoping the same shit with the ghost/doom and some other things that are on their way.

snapple
11-20-2006, 10:36 PM
yea i can't even keep up with all the shit dropping these days, it's definitly you.

Unforgiven
11-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Iíve found myself unable to get into the vast majority of new hip hop for roughly a couple of years now. There have only been 3 releases this year which I am still listening to, and have had any desire to continue listening to after a week or 2 of initially hearing the album. Last year was a little better. I think there were about 5 or so albums which Iím still listening to. Itís not that modern hip hop is bad music. I just find it so unappealing and not captivating in the least.

Iíve been wondering lately if maybe itís just me. If maybe Iíve just lost interest in hip hop and thatís why I canít get into new stuff. Even older artists whose previous releases I dig, I often find myself unable to get into their new albums. But then I still constantly bump old favourites and the few albums from the last few years which Iím into, and donít seem to have lost any love for them. Hip hop is still unquestionably my main musical interest. I just canít get into new stuff.

So, is it me or is it hip hop in general? How many people here can empathise with me?

I hear you, I don't listen to much hip hop anymore, mostly older shit when I do.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-20-2006, 11:22 PM

I hear you 100%, I thought long and hard about thisand ive decided the two main reasons are-

1. Lyrics used to be more intricate/complex/dense
2. Beats werent so complicated

Which in turn means you get more replayabilty out of songs, and get less bored.

BUT flames are still out there you just gotta spot the smoke, but dont get yourself burnt and widen youre musical tastes.

tical2000
11-21-2006, 12:06 AM

Ya I listen to mostly older shit too.....hip hop today sucks, in general

Ozmosis
11-21-2006, 12:17 AM
theres some good shit out there but it ain't much compared to the many ringtone cds out there

snapple
11-21-2006, 12:31 AM
naaah you peoples are just getting old and lazy, do some digging like people use to do. there is plenty of ill fresh shit dropping, people just sleep. if you want it you'll look for it, hiphop will never ever ever ever ever die.

TAURO
11-21-2006, 04:43 AM
^^thats some real shit right there.

Strange Fruit
11-21-2006, 04:50 AM
it's a balance,,,
you can't expect all hip hop nowadays to be
amazing,,, some of it is just plain crap.
but there's always that element in hip hop
that keeps you coming back to it.

and that's the element you should be focusing on.
yes, hip hop is going places,
more exposure, {some good, some bad}
the fanbase is increasing, and the more people
listen to it, the more they realise that it goes
beyond the commercial sex drugs and money shit they've
heard.

so yeah, i guess i can understand where you're coming from,
but you gotta see where hip hop is coming from.

TSA
11-21-2006, 09:11 AM

your probably not a fan of hip hop anymore and don't realize it. It happened to me, but dipset restored my faith. Im not saying you have to like new stuff to be a fan, but the sound or the passion ain't there no more so you probably got cut off in the 90s, which happens, again, it did to me. You have to not be w-corp faggot and know how to find good new hip hop. Check for mixtapes, and cats like Papoose.

I can't get into the new stuff either, especially the south cause i just happen to not like that sound, accent, content, and song themes. At the same time there's artists like TI, Dipset, Lupe Fiasco(and i used to thinkhe was homo), Ludacris, Papoose, and so on that are still making quality music

also the key to not being a Wu-corp faggot is to not judge someone on their singles. For instance Young Dro is realllyyy dope, but if you say that here faggots will try and fight you cause all they do is jack off to MF doom. Take a good listen to Dro and other artists you may have second guessed and give everyone and equal chance and you'll be a fan again, if not them maybe your just not a fan anymore, which is cool, it's hard to be.

TSA
11-21-2006, 09:16 AM
naaah you peoples are just getting old and lazy, do some digging like people use to do. there is plenty of ill fresh shit dropping, people just sleep. if you want it you'll look for it, hiphop will never ever ever ever ever die.

word. truest shit ever. cat's on here don't dig like they used to. You can't judge Young Dro for instance on a single, that's like judging Ghost off of Back Like That, and Tush, then end up missing out on Supreme, Ironman, Bulletproof and so on.

Also hiphop is stronger then ever cause ppl think its 2004 were it HAD to be a song about the club to sell. The streets are a real hot topic in hip hop now and the rappers that are most successful are the ones being true to themselves and more street. For example, Jeezy(like him or not) that's why the south is blowin up, eastcaost cats still think you have to make a corny R&B single to go anywhere, if it's catchy and street, as was C.R.E.M.E, it'll sell a lot.

i ain't gonna lie though, there's a lot of raw dog poop out there, A LOT some of it has made me hate black people for a day or two (don't worrry im a nigga). Someone was right about the lyrics being intricate before, you can sit back and analysis them for days and days, now the dope ones are too simple to draw you in, but that's just some rappers, there a lot of cats in the NYC underground for instance that still come complex

plus you should get out of the habit of checking for old rappers new releases cause you think they're the only relevent ones. i used to do that too, but this year i stopped as hear al lloot of marvelous shit

1. Hustler's P.O.M.E
2. Jay-z new album(he's old but oh well. to me only has 3 or 2 songs that are misses, so it's still solid cause Supreme Clientele had stroke of death, which i hate)
3. Both of GAME's albums(though i think he's dumb)
and i'd list more but im talking too fuckin much.

TAURO
11-21-2006, 10:50 AM
^^Whats wrong in buying my favourate established mc's music, if they have been keeping me vibing for all these years why should I stop supporting them to make way for new cats?......fuck that I say if a new cat wants me to buy his shit then he needs to bring all his game and make me run to the store and cop his shit...so far none of the new cats have made me wanna do that except maybe Lupe or Rhymefest.

Alesco
11-21-2006, 10:57 AM

Good advice prolifical.

Try not to limmit your self to just one genre. And do some digging for music.

The digging for it is part of the fun. No matter wat genre of music.

Just my thoughts though

INF
11-21-2006, 11:11 AM

:i co-sign

Longbongcilvaringz
11-21-2006, 11:19 AM
how can people even deny that there is less good hip hop out now then there used to be?

noel411
11-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Yeah, word. Iím thinking of doing this. I like all sorts of different music, but donít have a particular wide variety of music from any other genre. Iím sure Iíd have enough to keep me entertained for a while though.

I also have a lot of Aussie hip hop, which is really a whole different vibe to US stuff. I put all the US stuff aside for a while some time back, and pretty much just listened to Aussie stuff. However, when I came back to the US stuff I didnít feel any different about it.

the era of the 90's is over, and all the classic hip hop from it is also.

any replicas (with only a few exceptions) are pretty much destined to be inferior to the albums which most people here base the following of hip hop on.

occasionally there are glimses are great/good hip hop, and imo people tend to exagerate the quality of these albums due the the contrastingly poor quality of general hip hop.

people may like to say that hip hop is coming back, and maybe it is coming back from poor previous years, but nothing will ccompare to the era of hip hop which most people here like.

The thing is that I donít want to hear the older 90ís type vibe re-lived. I want to hear something new and fresh. I hear the odd track on an album these days that sort of captures the 90ís vibe, and think, I would have loved this track a few years ago, but now it just doesnít do it for me.

People like Doom and Immortal Tech have got my attention by bringing some fresh shit in the last few years. But Doom got boring because heís so limited as an mc. I loved everything before ĎDangerDoomí, but then that album did nothing for me. The moment I heard it I just thought, yeah, heard it all before. Gave it a few spins but couldnít get into it at all. Tech is pretty much the only mc who has come out since around 2000, who I am actually interested in. Iíve heard the majority of modern mcís people rave about, and they do absolutely nothing for me.

Grimm brought some really fresh sounding shit this year. Holocaust, while I absolutely understand some people not liking him, brought some fresh shit this year. Bronze Naz made the first solid attempt at capturing a modern Wu vibe in years, this year. Those are the only three albums from this year which I really listen to. Nothing else sparked my interest.

The fact that I heavily dig the Bronze album kind of tells me that itís not just me, but it is hip hop. If I like the Bronze album so much then why should I not like this years Ghost, Meth, Deck, Masta and even JMT albums? Theyíre just average as fuck to me. Bronze didn't bring anything new or original at all. He just brought some tight, raw shit, the way it's meant to be done.

i think people try and fool themselves into thinking just because its the best out, its good
I think a lot of people have lowered their standards too.

naaah you peoples are just getting old and lazy, do some digging like people use to do. there is plenty of ill fresh shit dropping, people just sleep
This again suggests to me that it is hip hop, and not me. I hear a lot of the shit other people rave about. New artists and old artists. I just donít feel the same about it as other people seem to. I think in this regard it is largely an age thing. This is the music a lot of hip hop fans are growing up with. I can see how this would make it more appealing to them. Iíve been into hip hop for a long time and am older now. Only really good music captures my attention now. Iíve got about 1000 hip hop albums. I donít need any more ok, or even good ones.

your probably not a fan of hip hop anymore and don't realize it
Like I said though, I still like the older shit as much as I ever did.

You have to not be w-corp faggot and know how to find good new hip hop
A ĎWu-Corp faggotí? I hardly even post here dude. And when I browse I almost never even open any threads in hip hop spot anymore. I learnt a long time ago that my taste and opinions vary greatly from most people here. Iíve checked out shit I heard about on forums, and generally never liked any of it much, so I would not go on the word of people here anymore, except for maybe some of the older posters who I know better.

also the key to not being a Wu-corp faggot is to not judge someone on their singles. For instance Young Dro is realllyyy dope
Iím detatched from society. I donít hear singles. Iíve never heard of ĎYoung Droí in my life.
Take a good listen to Dro and other artists you may have second guessed and give everyone and equal chance and you'll be a fan again
I donít care about status or other peopleís opinions or whatever. If something is good then Iíll give it a spin.
plus you should get out of the habit of checking for old rappers new releases cause you think they're the only relevent ones
Itís not that I think theyíre the only relevant ones. I just donít seem to be able to get into these new artists.
I have a question though Noel. Have things in your life become a routine, or more regimented than in the past?
My life really hasnít changed much at all since I finished school about 6 years ago. Iíve still got plenty of time to listen to, and find new music.

After reading these replies I get the impression that it is hip hop as a whole more so than just me. There seems to be a good few people who agree with me, and this makes me think that the people who disagree simply have different taste to me and in some cases have also lowered their standards to suit what is currently on offer in the hip hop genre. I think a large part of it also has to do with age and how long one has been listening to hip hop, although I do get the impression that some of the people who are feeling modern hip hop are actually older and have been listening to hip hop for a long time. In those cases it would go back to my conclusions about taste and standards.

snapple
11-21-2006, 07:50 PM
how old are you, where are you from, and who do you roll with? wu-tang corp is not the place where you're gonna hear about the latest dope shit. kids on here talk strictly about the same artists who are OGs in the game...

noel411
11-21-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm 24. Not old by any means, but seemingly older than most the regular posters here. From Australia. I 'roll with' average dudes who don't listen to hip hop, aside from one guy who gets most his shit from me.

If you'd like to, throw some names out there and I'll check them out if I can dl any of their shit, and don't already know them.

whitey
11-21-2006, 08:20 PM
dude try Pete Philly and Perquisite, cd called mind state. being european you might have already heard it, but its some great music. and i emphasis music. no bullshit commerical rap. check it out.

Prolifical ENG
11-21-2006, 08:23 PM
listen to some jazz for a bit....go into the sound shack.

noel411
11-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Haha, Australia is not part of Europe, dude. I'll check out these lads if I can find any of their stuff though.

noel411
11-21-2006, 08:27 PM
listen to some jazz for a bit....go into the sound shack.
What would you suggest are the top 3 jazz albums to start out with?

Prolifical ENG
11-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um

feel free to write your reflections in the Sound Shack afterwards

whitey
11-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Haha, Australia is not part of Europe, dude. I'll check out these lads if I can find any of their stuff though.

haha my bad dude, i read it quick thought you ment austrian. like austria. but yea dont let that affect you checking out that group. good shit.

INF
11-21-2006, 08:39 PM

Coltrane's Giant Steps is great as well.

noel411
11-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Ha, word. I thought you might have got it mixed up with Austria. But yeah, I'll see if I can't get hold of that shit and also those jazz albums. Cheers.

Strange Fruit
11-22-2006, 07:13 AM

A Love Supreme is epic,,,

TSA
11-22-2006, 02:59 PM
^^Whats wrong in buying my favourate established mc's music, if they have been keeping me vibing for all these years why should I stop supporting them to make way for new cats?......fuck that I say if a new cat wants me to buy his shit then he needs to bring all his game and make me run to the store and cop his shit...so far none of the new cats have made me wanna do that except maybe Lupe or Rhymefest.

oh no, that's not what i meant at all, i myself check of older cats like 90% of the time, im just saying some cats on here are too dependant on them and think it doesn't get better then that. a lot of the time it does, a lot of the time it doesn't so you have to keep an open eye for new cats and not like or hate them of first impressions on singles. cause dude, back like that.

Butter
11-22-2006, 05:12 PM
im with noel, i havent listening to anything new since 04ish.

Prolifical ENG
11-22-2006, 05:17 PM
I could say that most of the stuff from 2000-2004 isn't very memorable.....2003 kinda had a small peak but that was it. 2005 and 2006 seem like relatively good years for albums.

crass
11-22-2006, 05:26 PM
i still peep new shit but my favorite stuff will always be from the late 80s.

The Lost Prophet
11-22-2006, 06:52 PM
look comparen shit to classic albums from the late 80's and 90's isnt right cuz those times r over............i feel this has been the best year for hip-hop in a long time u just have to look harder these days

albums from this year that r dope

apathy
ghost
mf grimm
lupe (theres like 7 amazing tracks on the album)
boot camp click
the roots
cunninglynguist (cant spell but that album was mad original)
jedi mind tricks
busta rhymes
bronze

if u compare the way real hip-hop sounds from the 80s to the 90s to the 00s its so different cuz real mc's r trying to keep it original........oh and im a HUGE nas fan but by the way he spoke in the interview and for the songs i have heard already, it seems like his album is gonna be a disapointment

TAURO
11-22-2006, 07:16 PM
look comparen shit to classic albums from the late 80's and 90's isnt right cuz those times r over............i feel this has been the best year for hip-hop in a long time u just have to look harder these days

apathy Dope
ghost Well it was ok..
mf grimm Haven't heard it.
lupe (theres like 7 amazing tracks on the album) Dope
boot camp click Dope
the roots Haven't heard it
cunninglynguist (cant spell but that album was mad original) Dope
jedi mind tricks Dope
busta rhymes Good
bronze Dope

if u compare the way real hip-hop sounds from the 80s to the 90s to the 00s its so different cuz real mc's r trying to keep it original........oh and im a HUGE nas fan but by the way he spoke in the interview and for the songs i have heard already, it seems like his album is gonna be a disapointment

I agree that there has been a lot of quality releases this year and not just from the underground, I just hope that the commercial hip hop gets better in the near future, it's seems that some of the artists are waking up to the bullshit but only time will tell.

The Lost Prophet
11-22-2006, 09:52 PM
I agree that there has been a lot of quality releases this year and not just from the underground, I just hope that the commercial hip hop gets better in the near future, it's seems that some of the artists are waking up to the bullshit but only time will tell.

yea i agree, commercial artist r seeming to get better especially in the downloading age cuz if u just drop one hit then there gonna download it but if u drop a good album then people will more likely buy it

Ginnsey
11-23-2006, 05:31 AM
Ha, word. I thought you might have got it mixed up with Austria. But yeah, I'll see if I can't get hold of that shit and also those jazz albums. Cheers.

Get the Guru's Jazzmatazz albums. they are dope. not the 3rd one though that was a dissapointment.

If u like Beats with a bit of Jazz/Techno influence then i would suggest Drum and Bass artists like Pendulum, Roni Size

Some good break beat dj's are Scratch Perverts and DJ Yoda is good aswell. This is what i have started listening too as they have that old skool vibe to them.

Rebel_INS
11-23-2006, 05:47 AM
It all depends man. A lot of commercial music in hip-hop right now is garbage, but theres still good albums being released in general. But nothing better that was in the 90s you know?

ArcherPriest
11-23-2006, 06:03 AM
UNCOMMON VALLOR - VIETNAM WAR STORY
Vinnie Paz/ R.A. the Rugged Man.... ( RA fuckin' kills it )
http://download.yousendit.com/70D4F0AE41266817

^^^ this just came out recently... whole album's good

the two below aren't out yet... they jus promos... These guys got a whole squad like the size of the wu n' shit, so if anybodies feelin these then you'd prolly like the solo efforts as well... they gon be droppin mad albums in '07.... be like WU in '94... infact, there will be guest appearences by Raekwon (that i posted) and more to come from Ghost, Meth, Red, .. 'n others like Kool G, sum D Block.... all kinds of mufuckaz... cant remember 'em all

http://download.yousendit.com/AA47676716786AC5

^^^FUCK TONY MONTANA (La Coka Nostra promo...)

http://download.yousendit.com/5DC9127F40492070

^^^ ENEMY La Coka Nostra (iLLBiLL) feat. Raekwon

ShaolinDarts
11-23-2006, 07:51 AM
It becomes about being set in your ways. People establish what they want and what they like so it stops being new and an adventure into a musical genre. Its like when you're younger any girl thats good enough looking is worth a fuck but then you realise as you get a bit older that good looking ain't enough to guarantee a good fuck. The girl needs to be good looking and behave in a certain way that gives the right signals. 2006 hip hop just ain't giving out the right signals to the folk that been into this since the 80's or 90's.

noel411
11-25-2006, 11:30 PM
try Pete Philly and Perquisite, cd called mind stateI dl'ed this, listened to about half the first track, skipped to the second, fast forwarded into it a bit and had a quick listen, then ejected it. Obviously I can't make any judgement about it based on that, but it certainly didn't spark my interest straight away. I'll give it a spin some time though.
Miles Davis - Kind of BlueI dl'ed this. Sounds cool, but I don't think I'd ever really get into jazz much. Dunno though, maybe I'll become more interested over time.
I could say that most of the stuff from 2000-2004 isn't very memorableAnd if you were to say that I'd be the first to agree with you. IMO things changed after '98. That was the last really good year to me. This year I've really had enough though. I can't even really be bothered checking for shit anymore now.
look comparen shit to classic albums from the late 80's and 90's isnt right cuz those times r overI'm not comparing it. Just saying that new shit is not appealling to me in any case.

apathy (Haven't heard it and don't want to hear it or any other AOTP shit other than JMT)
ghost (Average. No replay value whatsoever)
mf grimm (Excellent)
lupe (theres like 7 amazing tracks on the album) (Heard a few of this guys tracks on the radio and was gonna dl his album but never bothered. Maybe I still will one day. He sounded ok. Nothing special though.)
boot camp click (Average)
the roots (I did bump this a couple of times, and it was fairly good from what I recall, but then I forgot about it. I'll have to give it another spin or 2 soon)
cunninglynguist (cant spell but that album was mad original) (Haven't heard this. Might even check it out. Their first 2 albums were good, but I still lost interest in them pretty quickly.)
jedi mind tricks (Pretty good, but not good enough to get me wanting to hear it again. A few really good tracks especially.)
busta rhymes (Haven't heard a Busta album since 'When Disaster Strikes', and have no interest in doing so.)
bronze (Dopeness)

im a HUGE nas fan but by the way he spoke in the interview and for the songs i have heard already, it seems like his album is gonna be a disapointment (Not interested in hearing it. Haven't been into any of his albums since 'It Was Written'.)Get the Guru's Jazzmatazz albums. they are dope. not the 3rd one though that was a dissapointmentI've got them and I agree about the 3rd one.

UNCOMMON VALLOR - VIETNAM WAR STORY
Vinnie Paz/ R.A. the Rugged Man.... ( RA fuckin' kills it )
http://download.yousendit.com/70D4F0AE41266817

^^^ this just came out recently... whole album's goodGreat song and yes, RA does fuckin' kill it. Album is good but still doesn't hold my interest.

I'll try to check out those other links later.

Longbongcilvaringz
11-26-2006, 10:36 AM
get some binary star.

Kong
11-26-2006, 12:09 PM

I'm mostly the same, I like some new stuff but I don't think its us, we just have to wait.

"Hip-Hop's not dead its really the mind of the MC" - K-Os

you heard his new album?