PDA

View Full Version : Is It The End Of The 2d Fighters?

TAURO
11-23-2006, 09:05 PM
I don't know about everyone but some of my most played games on my ps2 are fighting games, 2D fighting games to be exact. Games like Marvel VS Capcom 2, Street Fighter VS SNK, Guilty Gear, Samurai Showdown etc.. now don't get me wrong I love 3D fighters too but they just to don't carry the same essance as 2D.

Now since we have entered the start of the next wave of consoles do any of you hope to see new and improved versions of the classic 2D fighters? or do yo think they should go the way of the dinosaurs?

Your thoughts.....

Jet Set
11-23-2006, 09:26 PM
I think they are going to send us alot of old material in emulating form. Virtual Console eg

Capcom will come with their annual Street Fighter addition, but with what weight? Cpacom vs SNK was pretty top of the bill, although they could improve alot on the graphics side. If only they did.

Tangaz
11-23-2006, 09:37 PM
I think we're still in for a lot of good 2D fighters on the next-gen consoles yet. Well, for the PS3 at least.
(Have you tried playing a 2D fighter on the Xbox pads? Damn near impossible! Especially for King Of Fighters.)

They've been releasing awesome titles every year for the PS2, and as long as they're still being played in arcades like they are, there'll always be the ports.

They're as fundamental in gaming as the first person shooter.

TAURO
11-23-2006, 09:38 PM
I think they are going to send us alot of old material in emulating form. Virtual Console eg

Capcom will come with their annual Street Fighter addition, but with what weight? Cpacom vs SNK was pretty top of the bill, although they could improve alot on the graphics side. If only they did.

Thats a good point I forgot about the emulating stuff which we would be able to download all the retro games.

I do think that there are things that have yet to be achieved whether it be graphics, more responsive controls etc...

TAURO
11-23-2006, 09:44 PM
They've been releasing awesome titles every year for the PS2, and as long as they're still being played in arcades like they are, there'll always be the ports.

They're as fundamental in gaming as the first person shooter.

Thats a good point although the first person shooter is much more popular today than fighting games in general, I remember when they where strictly for pc nerds but eventually broke out into the mainstream to become serious contenders, I mean you only have to look at the X Box catalogue to see it's popularity but when it comes to fighting games much less the 2D kind they just don't seem to strike much of a cord with the general public.

Tangaz
11-23-2006, 09:57 PM
There's defenitely a lot more to be done with 2D fighters. I just think the companies milk their animators and programmers as much as they can (make a lot more titles/money that way).

Guilty Gear was the first Hi-Res 2D fighter back in the day, and they've gone nowhere since. Why? People like it as it is.

One day, we'll see fully animated Hi-Res anime-style characters battling across huge, destructible backgrounds. But right now, the fans keep 'em goin' with what they've already drawn/designed.
I've begrudgingly grown to accept that.

And oh yeah, the 2D fighter has taken a back seat, but fans of the genre are too hardcore as a rule for the likes of Capcom, Sammy and SNK to forget about. It'll still trudge along as a genre just as it has for the past ten years. For sure.

TAURO
11-23-2006, 10:00 PM
^^For real....hopefully.

MaXiMus Da MaNtis
11-24-2006, 12:05 AM
i hate 3D Fighters......SNK For Life

TAURO
11-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Nah man you can't knock games like Soul Calibur 2 or the dead or alive series, those are dope games in their own right, they can co-exist together because they each provide a different experience, my only worry is that with these new generation of consoles we might end up losing the 2D games for good.

The question is though and im guessing I already know the answer you would give maximus but do you still want to see 2D fighters on the next gen hardware?

Frontal Lobotomy
11-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Rival Schools and Soul Calibur are 2 awesome 3D fighters, but its all about 2D. I got a pretty decent Neo Geo/MAME collection, no pad at the moment though.

Bloo
11-24-2006, 04:47 AM
I don't think it'll be a dead cause as of yet. I can tell you for sure you're gonna see a lot of 3D fighing games with 2D mechanics, you know, looking like Soul Calibur but playing like Street Fighter. Honestly the market for 2D fighters isn't what it used to be. People are buying these high-end consoles and they wanna feel like they're getting their money's worth so to throw in some game that looks like it was made in '95 would be an insult to them.

Now that doesn't mean they couldn't pull off some marvelous shit. I'm invisioning the ultimate 2D fighter on this next gen era as looking and playing just as good as if you were watching an anime. Could you imagine a Dragon Ball Z game that actually looked like an episode of Dragon Ball Z? But developers are lazy, instead of hiring animators to draw every character action they'd instead render it in 3D then Cel Shade it to make it look 2D.

So it's not a matter of it being dead, but more of a matter of finding the ultimate developer willing to drop the bills and the time to give us one last hurrah.

Bloo
11-24-2006, 05:06 AM
Actually Namco X Capcom was an RPG featuring Street Fighter characters as well as other Capcom mascots. But no, it's not a fighting game.

TAURO
11-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Wow...I didn't know about Namco X Capcom, so it's not a beat em up?.....shame if it isn't I quite like the idea of Ryu vs Jin Kazama.

Cuchulain
11-24-2006, 12:50 PM
i hope not. i miss all the scrollers aswel. streets of rage and the like. anybody ever play that 2d scroller on the saturn where you could jump between layers. it used to scale in and out to allow more bad guys on the screem. was fuckin brilliant. can't think of the name of it. treasure were the developers

Tangaz
11-24-2006, 06:04 PM
^Never played that side-scroller you're talking about. Reckon you can find the name? And I've always wanted an adversarial side-scroller. The battle system for that RPG Star Ocean on the PSX (5/5 game by the way) was promising.

But back to topic, Street Fighter IV rumored for early 2007 (EGM Magazine), SNK Playmore announced they will be supporting next-gen consoles with King Of Fighters XI along with others (SNK Playmore)...

TAURO
11-24-2006, 06:13 PM
^^Thats sweet news but I just hope they remain 2D because they made a king of fighters 3D game and it flopped.

Regarding that scrolling fighting game on saturn I think I know it, was it called Guardian Heroes?

Was this it?

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/Tauro02/235px-GuardianHeroesSSEU.jpg

WARPATH
11-25-2006, 01:30 AM
2d fighters are dead for the simple fact that- nobody busts them in the arcades anymore. They started dying once the orignal playstation was made, now I rareley see anyone busting them joints in the acrade.

The best 2d game in my opinion is.....

Street Fighter Series- 2 and 3 and the alpha series, some of vs. joints

and the best 3d Game......

Virtual Fighter series

Them joints check your skill level versus your opponent and their easy to get into if you take a little time with them.

Fuck all that Tekken, DOA bullshit. Even though I think it was the orignal Virtua fighter team that came up with tekken, they bastardized 3d fighting.

Mortal Kombat died after MK2- after that the series went to shit.

There was some other cool joints in there for NEO GEO....

Samurai Showdown, was ok.

Campcom vs. Snk- that joint was for the capcom vs. Snk fanboys to duke it out on, but campcom made it- so what does that tell you about SNK.......hmmm

TAURO
11-25-2006, 05:06 AM
Campcom vs. Snk- that joint was for the capcom vs. Snk fanboys to duke it out on, but campcom made it- so what does that tell you about SNK.......hmmm

Actually after Capcom vs SNK came out SNK vs Capcom came out which featured the SNK game engine.

Wu-Tality
11-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Samurai Showdown was ok? It was da bomb!

TAURO
11-25-2006, 05:03 PM
^^I recently bought Samurai Showdown 5 the other day, nothing special about it in terms of gameplay or anything....but damn if it doesn't have some of the coolest set of characters...

Jet Set
11-27-2006, 07:32 AM
I'm reading some good points here. 2D games not being dead yet. The vs series. The leap they can take in absolute graphics engines and animations. Control response increasing. Shooters being the main game stay since Halo on the console.

And the whole 3D vs 2D fighter. Virtua Fighter, Dead Or Alive, Tekken, Soul Calibur.
What was that game Capcom released on the PS2 with Street Fighter 3d. ST 3EX or something. That shit looked fluffy.

Soul Calibur one was superb. A launch game for the Dreamcast that topped the PS2 games. Dead Or Alive 2 scored mostly because of it's women, but too because of it's counter system and it's interactive arena's. Tekken was the main thing on the PSX, but when they went for the PS2 I lost sight. A shame that Virtua Fighter never went SHenmue on the Dreamcast. VT3tb is just another update that showed the laziness of developers in porting games from previous generation to the Dreamcast.

Some time back I read on this incredible vs mash up. Something in the line of Capcom vs Marvel vs Namco. The problems always seem to rise when it comes to the rights. Ideas like this are just insane just add SNK to the equation.

Wu-Tality
11-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Another problem is, if you're good at a 2d fighter, you're almost invincible to friends. Alot of 3d fighters I play, u can still get beat by little brother or even a girl. This makes it more fun for your friends, but playing the game alot doesnt really add anything for yourself.

Cuchulain
11-27-2006, 11:43 AM
yeah this is it. was amazing. miss games of this gerne. you think with the power of new computers, they could have loads and loads of enimies on screen at once. like side scrollers aswell. thunderforce 4 on the megadrive. anybody remeber that. fuckin incredible. and ranger x, terminator vs robocop were great games too.

^^Thats sweet news but I just hope they remain 2D because they made a king of fighters 3D game and it flopped.

Regarding that scrolling fighting game on saturn I think I know it, was it called Guardian Heroes?

Was this it?

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/Tauro02/235px-GuardianHeroesSSEU.jpg

Jet Set
11-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Haha, the brilliancy of the debates of the better game. it's 16 bit all over again.

TAURO
11-28-2006, 04:02 PM
The best side scroller ever was FINAL FIGHT

Streets of Rage was.......mediocre compared to this game IMO.....

take that shit to the recycling bin, plus all the characters were cooler lookin and shit in FINAL FIGHT compared to S.O.R....FINAL FIGHT had a much more "grimey" look to it; plus the character "Guy" (pronounced "gi" for those who are unfamiliar with the game/character) owns every1 from Streets of Rage

http://www.juegomania.org/syt/solucion/sfightera3/guy.jpghttp://www.juegomania.org/Final+Fight/fotos/snes/0/636_c/Caratula+Final+Fight.jpg

I always felt the villains in streets of rage 2 where much better than final fight which for me is what made that game better.

WARPATH
11-28-2006, 06:45 PM
The best side scroller ever was FINAL FIGHT

Streets of Rage was.......mediocre compared to this game IMO.....

take that shit to the recycling bin, plus all the characters were cooler lookin and shit in FINAL FIGHT compared to S.O.R....FINAL FIGHT had a much more "grimey" look to it; plus the character "Guy" (pronounced "gi" for those who are unfamiliar with the game/character) owns every1 from Streets of Rage

http://www.juegomania.org/syt/solucion/sfightera3/guy.jpghttp://www.juegomania.org/Final+Fight/fotos/snes/0/636_c/Caratula+Final+Fight.jpg

Final Fight sucks, Have you ever played River City Ransom? Alex or Ryan would whip Guy's skinny ass.

Plus your forgetting the grandfather that gave birth to these games:

DOUBLE DRAGON!

WARPATH
11-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Actually after Capcom vs SNK came out SNK vs Capcom came out which featured the SNK game engine.

hmmm.......now I wonder why I never heard about it.