PDA

View Full Version : How Is Jay Z Hurting Def Jam/Hip Hop

JEM
11-27-2006, 09:19 PM
From Adam's World

How Jay-Z Is Hurting Def Jam

I was skeptical when Jay-Z was given the title of President of Def Jam. Did he have any sort of skills or qualifications when it came to running a label? We all know he can rhyme, how well he can rhyme is a matter of debate, especially after his latest appearance on Hot97 which even Sohh called ďcornyĒ noting he was ďway behind the beat,Ē but how does being a rapper qualify someone to run a rap label? It doesnít, and the Jay-Z situation at Def Jam illustrates exactly why rappers should rap and people who know how to run labels should run labels. Letís take a look at a few situations that Jay has messed up horribly as businessman in just the past six months.

Rappers, especially Jay, are fantastic at self-promotion. He didnít get on by being humble and staying out of the limelight. As the President of a label, however, one has to know how to get others into that limelight, and it seems that Jay is completely unwilling to let anyone shine except for himself. Letís go back to this past summer. Jay beefed with Cristal, something I chastised him for on this very site (and got killed for it by a lot of Jigga fans blindly following their hero). Little did I know there was another reason to get on Jay for this; two months later Def Jam released Method Manís album. What on earth was Jay-Z doing putting himself in the spotlight at a time when he should have been pushing a lead single for Meth and giving him a budget for a video (word is Meth never even received a budget for a video)? Meth is a legend in the rap game. As a part of Wu-Tang he helped bring New York Hip-Hop back and was instrumental in changing the sound of the scene at a time when the airwaves were ruled by west coast funk. Instead of bigging up this legend and putting him on the pedestal he belongs on Jay essentially ignored the release of his album. Bad business move. A label has to sell albums for all their artists, not just one.

Take two, this time around itís Lady Sovereign, the most talked about artist to come out of the U.K. since The Streets. Lavy Sovís buzz was huge when she first signed to Def Jam. Big things were expected. She rocketed up the TRL charts, giving her a buzz with the teen audience, but what about the Hip-Hop heads? A few weeks before the release of Lady Sovís Public Warning we were treated to Jay-Z ďleakingĒ his new single and video. Couldnít Def Jamís money have been better spent promoting a second single for Lady Sov two weeks before her album came out? Making Jayís lust for the spotlight, even at the expense of his own artists, even more apparent is that the week Lady Sovereignís album was released (her drop date was October 31st) Jay was on Hot97 talking about himself and doing the aforementioned unimpressive freestyle. Again, why wasnít Lady Sov on the air? Why wasnít that her interview?

During Jayís time on Hot97 he also took shots as Jim Jones for taking shots at him. Jay called Jones ďthe ninth guy off the bench.Ē Well guess what Jay, at least that would mean he has a team that heís playing with, do you? At this point you seem to be neglecting your role as President and although Jones has no such title, and I am NOT a fan of the Diplomats by any stretch of the imagination, at least heís out there supporting the projects of the people he runs with. Juelz Santana, an MC I really truly honestly do not like, is sitting on the shelf at Def Jam right now and despite my feelings on him I know he has a huge rabid fanbase. Jay has his light beef with Jim Jones and Dip Set, but thatís the rapper Jay-Z, the President Jay-Z should be releasing albums that will help his company. Who wants to bet on when, or if, Jay lets a Juelz album see the light of day? Juelz may not have the best lyrics, but being a young, charismatic, rapper makes him a potentially huge seller, especially with the right backing, which Iím sure he thought he was going to get at Def Jam. Instead Juelz, along with Meth, Lady Sovereign, Redman and a host of others are stuck attempting to beat out their own labelís President to get some airplay. With all this in mind Nas has to be seriously wondering whatís going to happen with his upcoming release.

Def Jam has seen some first week success with some albums, but third, fourth and fifth week sales show staying power and most everything Def Jamís released in the past year has had none of that. No follow up singles. No second or third videos. Just a quick hit and thatís it. The only stars getting any play from Def Jam are in the R&B genre. Basically, anyone who wonít take airtime away from Jay. Itís become clear that until Jay-Z retires from rapping for real his ďPresidentialĒ role is only hurting Def Jam and in the long run, when artists like Meth, Red, Juelz and Lady Sov arenít getting the attention they deserve, itís hurting Hip-Hop.

Str8 facts....Jayz needs to fall back and be a team player for real
Kingdome come aint all that either...pretty corny if u ask me

xHard to Earnx
11-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Maybe because Lady Sovereign sucks.

Maybe Jay-Z doesn't actually have control of these things.

Maybe all rap releases for the most part this year has had significant sales fall offs after the first week.

Stupid piece.

tekunique
11-27-2006, 09:26 PM
From Adam's World

How Jay-Z Is Hurting Def Jam

I was skeptical when Jay-Z was given the title of President of Def Jam. Did he have any sort of skills or qualifications when it came to running a label? We all know he can rhyme, how well he can rhyme is a matter of debate, especially after his latest appearance on Hot97 which even Sohh called ďcornyĒ noting he was ďway behind the beat,Ē but how does being a rapper qualify someone to run a rap label? It doesnít, and the Jay-Z situation at Def Jam illustrates exactly why rappers should rap and people who know how to run labels should run labels. Letís take a look at a few situations that Jay has messed up horribly as businessman in just the past six months.

Rappers, especially Jay, are fantastic at self-promotion. He didnít get on by being humble and staying out of the limelight. As the President of a label, however, one has to know how to get others into that limelight, and it seems that Jay is completely unwilling to let anyone shine except for himself. Letís go back to this past summer. Jay beefed with Cristal, something I chastised him for on this very site (and got killed for it by a lot of Jigga fans blindly following their hero). Little did I know there was another reason to get on Jay for this; two months later Def Jam released Method Manís album. What on earth was Jay-Z doing putting himself in the spotlight at a time when he should have been pushing a lead single for Meth and giving him a budget for a video (word is Meth never even received a budget for a video)? Meth is a legend in the rap game. As a part of Wu-Tang he helped bring New York Hip-Hop back and was instrumental in changing the sound of the scene at a time when the airwaves were ruled by west coast funk. Instead of bigging up this legend and putting him on the pedestal he belongs on Jay essentially ignored the release of his album. Bad business move. A label has to sell albums for all their artists, not just one.

Take two, this time around itís Lady Sovereign, the most talked about artist to come out of the U.K. since The Streets. Lavy Sovís buzz was huge when she first signed to Def Jam. Big things were expected. She rocketed up the TRL charts, giving her a buzz with the teen audience, but what about the Hip-Hop heads? A few weeks before the release of Lady Sovís Public Warning we were treated to Jay-Z ďleakingĒ his new single and video. Couldnít Def Jamís money have been better spent promoting a second single for Lady Sov two weeks before her album came out? Making Jayís lust for the spotlight, even at the expense of his own artists, even more apparent is that the week Lady Sovereignís album was released (her drop date was October 31st) Jay was on Hot97 talking about himself and doing the aforementioned unimpressive freestyle. Again, why wasnít Lady Sov on the air? Why wasnít that her interview?

During Jayís time on Hot97 he also took shots as Jim Jones for taking shots at him. Jay called Jones ďthe ninth guy off the bench.Ē Well guess what Jay, at least that would mean he has a team that heís playing with, do you? At this point you seem to be neglecting your role as President and although Jones has no such title, and I am NOT a fan of the Diplomats by any stretch of the imagination, at least heís out there supporting the projects of the people he runs with. Juelz Santana, an MC I really truly honestly do not like, is sitting on the shelf at Def Jam right now and despite my feelings on him I know he has a huge rabid fanbase. Jay has his light beef with Jim Jones and Dip Set, but thatís the rapper Jay-Z, the President Jay-Z should be releasing albums that will help his company. Who wants to bet on when, or if, Jay lets a Juelz album see the light of day? Juelz may not have the best lyrics, but being a young, charismatic, rapper makes him a potentially huge seller, especially with the right backing, which Iím sure he thought he was going to get at Def Jam. Instead Juelz, along with Meth, Lady Sovereign, Redman and a host of others are stuck attempting to beat out their own labelís President to get some airplay. With all this in mind Nas has to be seriously wondering whatís going to happen with his upcoming release.

Def Jam has seen some first week success with some albums, but third, fourth and fifth week sales show staying power and most everything Def Jamís released in the past year has had none of that. No follow up singles. No second or third videos. Just a quick hit and thatís it. The only stars getting any play from Def Jam are in the R&B genre. Basically, anyone who wonít take airtime away from Jay. Itís become clear that until Jay-Z retires from rapping for real his ďPresidentialĒ role is only hurting Def Jam and in the long run, when artists like Meth, Red, Juelz and Lady Sov arenít getting the attention they deserve, itís hurting Hip-Hop.

Str8 facts....Jayz needs to fall back and be a team player for real
Kingdome come aint all that either...pretty corny if u ask me
LOL... what you think Rocafella was ?

Jay is probably the only rapper to have his own label when he debut as an artist..... Def Jam aint dumb, they aint gonna let some n00b run their shit...

Jay-Z is a smart fucking business man.. that i gotta give it up.. he knows what would move and how to decieve the masses....

JEM
11-28-2006, 12:19 AM
I agree with that lady soverign shit..that bitch is garbage...but i think this Adam dude made some good points...what the fuck is up with all this jay z hype...and then u got artists droppin they album on the same day/same month n shit..

stupid piece? eat a dick

snapple
11-28-2006, 12:25 AM
when you're on the cover of GQ, go plat with every album you drop, sell out MSG in 2 minutes, have a label, take over a label, fucking beyonce....

well you see where i'm going with this....i don't think jay-z needs your advice

TSA
11-28-2006, 12:48 PM
when you're on the cover of GQ, go plat with every album you drop, sell out MSG in 2 minutes, have a label, take over a label, fucking beyonce....

respek'def

36chambers
11-28-2006, 12:53 PM

Exactly. When Jigga is on it he could run this rap game. Hes only been in charge for a year now, give him some time. Jay Z will shine, but he'll always have the haters. Hes an easy target, being a millionaire, having his own label, fuckin Beyonce and so on...

Hes hated by millions, he must be doing something right.

UNCLE RUCKUS
11-28-2006, 04:35 PM
This year we got a dope Roots record, a new Meth record, and 2 new Ghostface records... How do people complain about that

36chambers
11-28-2006, 04:36 PM
They complain because they love to hate Jay Z.

Monkdude
11-28-2006, 04:45 PM
I can see the criticism. Just because Jay-Z is personally successful doesn't mean that he is a good president of Def Jam. The fact is, so far, he isn't. The fans may be happy because they are getting good releases, but the Artists really aren't selling enough. With Nas and Jay Def Jam will be making enough money, but where the fuck is the promotion for everyone else? Meth is clearly the most notable example here. We may never get the true story about the promotion, but I do know that I never saw a video on TV.

xHard to Earnx
11-28-2006, 05:20 PM
I agree with that lady soverign shit..that bitch is garbage...but i think this Adam dude made some good points...what the fuck is up with all this jay z hype...and then u got artists droppin they album on the same day/same month n shit..

stupid piece? eat a dick

Did I offend you with that last bit there? Did you write the stupid thing?

Crackspace
11-28-2006, 10:46 PM
jayz is almost as good as kfed. hes almost there

M4TH3M4T1CS
11-29-2006, 10:48 AM
jay cares about himself before anything. and jay being president of def jam is like a presidental canidate counting the votes he's gonna win everytime

LORD ZERO
11-29-2006, 12:01 PM
I can see the criticism. Just because Jay-Z is personally successful doesn't mean that he is a good president of Def Jam. The fact is, so far, he isn't. The fans may be happy because they are getting good releases, but the Artists really aren't selling enough. With Nas and Jay Def Jam will be making enough money, but where the fuck is the promotion for everyone else? Meth is clearly the most notable example here. We may never get the true story about the promotion, but I do know that I never saw a video on TV.

w/ fag-z as defscam president, i wasnt really expecting dat musch promotion from meth, or any other artist for dat matter, i knew it was gonna be all eyes on gay-z the second i knew he was pres. expect alot of ppl to hightail it out defscam

Trench
11-29-2006, 02:38 PM
:lmao:

Trench
11-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Jay-Z is a smart fucking business man.. that i gotta give it up.. he knows what would move and how to decieve the masses....

Yeah Jay Z is really smart, Thatís why he said Ghosts Album was one of the best of the year and he wants another album by him by the end of this year. Maybe he should have put more effort promoting Ghost instead of Ne-Yo on ďback like thatĒ, I mean coming on Jay Z even thinks it's a good album then why not push it, he knows ďhow to decieve the massesĒ right ? LMAO

Jay Z doesnít know what will move, if he did he wouldnt release all these albums which have flopped, He would had sent all the artist back to the drawing board, Def Jam is a business company thatís out to make money. Flopping = no money.

He can only promote himself in the rap game. Look at Meth, Grammy winning platinum status and part of one of the greatest groups of all time and on top of that he has broken into acting and is doing alright. But what happened, Def Jam did nothing, Meth had to cry like a bitch to get his name out there and when did a single actually drop and look when his album dropped. ďsayĒ wasnít a single, it was leaked.

The guy can sell his own records but he does nothing to help others except putting rappers on Beyonce's remix's to get there names out on the street. eg. Beyonce - Irreplaceable (Remix) with Ghostface

V1OL8TOR7
11-29-2006, 05:40 PM
The lack of promotion for Method Man's 4:21 and The Roots' joint (both CDs were WAY better than Kingdom Come) pissed me right off. Other than that, I can only hope Nas' joint gets mad promotion even though he'll probably do well anyway.

snapple
11-29-2006, 09:22 PM
defjam isn't making money? what the fuck are some of you saying haha

abasi
11-30-2006, 10:27 AM
im not a jay z fan
but i have to admit that
in his day he was a skillful rapper
is he bringing def jam down i dont know
but i cant think of one def jam rapper
that is on top of the game right now

this is my opinion but that new song that he came out with sucks
its not new or original he came out of retirement for that
probably the rest of the album will compensate for that song

is he killin rap
imo rap started dying around 97
when all this playa, i got this what do u got mentality ruled
flossin been going on in hip hop since its beginning
but when most of your material holds no substance its a problem

you could call me a hater but the reason i'm not a Jay fan is because to me he has no identity

most rappers I pretty much know where they stand

xHard to Earnx
11-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Too be fair, if you paid attention to anything, Method Man pretty much begged to take an L. Def Jam tried to promote it, Meth was a dick about it. Jay-Z also talks about the whole thing in the newish XXL.

If you think the Roots didn't get promotion though, you are stupid.