PDA

View Full Version : 360 Hd-dvd

Cuchulain
11-30-2006, 10:33 AM
anybody got one or is gettin one. i'm interested in doing it but want to know more about it. is there many movies for it. will normal dvds look a bit better on it etc etc

Icurus
11-30-2006, 03:25 PM
the 360 already upconverts most srandard dvd. It doesnt make it in 720p, but it allows your dvds to play full 16x9. The hd dvd lets you play hd dvd movies. There is a godd selection of hd dvd movies right now.

100pr00f
11-30-2006, 04:12 PM
i think it plays hd only not reg dvds.....

i would like to know how it is too

wufan10304
12-01-2006, 12:17 PM
yeah, i think it does just play HD DVDS...it would be kind of pointless to play regular DVDS on it, when the 360 can play them. i think i remember reading somewhere that you can plug the usb port into your laptop and watch hd dvds on your laptop..

100pr00f
12-01-2006, 12:25 PM
that wouldt make no sense since ur lap top aint a hd screen lol.

kurupt_kw
12-01-2006, 01:02 PM
I bought it. I only have the Kong movie that it comes with. I haven't even watched it yet but I did check out the picture quality. The detail is crazy. The lighting, subtle details and everything on it looks great.

It is supposed to be able to play regular DVD's as well. I had rented a regular DVD movie and was going to watch it on there but it wouldn't play properly. It skipped and froze on me so bad I couldn't even get to the menu. I took it out and played it perfectly fine on my DVD player.

I talked to someone who had played a DVD fine on his. He also said that there is going to be some kind of software update so maybe that will be a fix for playing regular DVD's?? Maybe I'll watch Kong this weekend to make sure it works fine to make sure I don't have a faulty player.

wufan10304
12-01-2006, 01:29 PM
that wouldt make no sense since ur lap top aint a hd screen lol.

my bad..i meant pcs..lol

check this link out..and read the comments

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12232/Legal-Hack-Makes-Xbox-360-HD-DVD-Drive-Work-on-PCs/

brown_dogg
12-01-2006, 08:04 PM
i was gonna get a 360 this month, but i'm thinking that by next year they'll put the hd-dvd drive in the actual system or somethin.

they usually have somethin new coming when they put the stuff they have now on sale. and i saw the 360 premium package with some extra games at bestbuy, so i'm guessing that they're gonna have somethin new come out soon.

100pr00f
12-01-2006, 08:55 PM
by the end of next year u will only see a 25$ price drop from the system

they wont put hd in em cuz then the box will be bigger

they are packaging games with the 360 so they will sell for the holidays

Icurus
12-01-2006, 11:48 PM
Honestly, I wont be surprised if they put the HD-DVD drive in the system soon. The latest firmware update allows for 1080p output. So, they can do it if they want. Also, Nintendo is planning on adding a 720p output next summer. Component cables are coming out for the wii, and the system already displays progressive output. I see HD for Wii coming soon.

Wu-Tality
12-02-2006, 08:00 AM
I think it looks mad ugly, why didn't they put it in at start.

Bloo
12-04-2006, 04:06 AM
Honestly, I wont be surprised if they put the HD-DVD drive in the system soon. The latest firmware update allows for 1080p output. So, they can do it if they want. Also, Nintendo is planning on adding a 720p output next summer. Component cables are coming out for the wii, and the system already displays progressive output. I see HD for Wii coming soon.

That would be phat! It'd make me play Zelda all over again (not like I'm not gonna do that anyway)

I think it looks mad ugly, why didn't they put it in at start.

I was wondering the same shit. I mean, this way they can keep the 360 cheap. But it's gonna show it's age a lot sooner because of it.

100pr00f
12-04-2006, 07:48 AM

yea but it wont matter to over a mil of peeps who bought a 360 allready

i thhink its a wast of money...........i mean are u gonna buy dvds for 30$ for now on
....i was think of getting this after i get my hd tv
but now i look at it..i got all the dvds that are on hd all ready
..and i dont think i want to buy a 30$ dvd

witch will prolly go down 5$ in some years after hd becomes more popular

Jet Set
12-05-2006, 05:58 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Mega-cd2.jpg

Anyone???

And why should'nt you play HD dvd on you high-res laptop screen? Last time I heard 640x480 was still bigger than the normal SD res

100pr00f
12-06-2006, 08:10 AM
its still not hd tho

...hd is 720 and up

Bloo
12-06-2006, 06:49 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/Mega-cd2.jpg

Anyone???

There's a Genesis missing out of there :)

brown_dogg
12-06-2006, 07:43 PM
i have some questions about hd dvd players in general. i'm not really sure how it works, but:
1. does it make sense to have an hd tv?
2. does it play regular dvds?
3. are hd dvd's sold seperatley for the same price or somethin?

Jet Set
12-06-2006, 08:11 PM
http://users.atw.hu/vwbug/segacd_1b.jpg

Like This.

Don't forget the 32 x add on

http://drelium.free.fr/images/jeuxvideos/consoles/big/25mgcd32x.jpg

And I think normal pc and laptop could handle 720p on their screens.

For all else, believe in the Swirl

http://www.top-airbrush.de/sega/dc_gold_b.jpg

Jet Set
12-06-2006, 08:25 PM
i have some questions about hd dvd players in general. i'm not really sure how it works, but:
If you want HD quality yes. HD DVD is designed for those HD tv, else you wouldnt see the difference. This has to do with the amount of lines there is on and SD tv and a HD tv. HD dvd carries the HD amount of lines.

I dont really know if it will play dvd. But I assume so. Just like the Dvd player played cd. As I just read, yes, it will read. Nobody wants to players in their home. SO bets to make backward compatible and let people enjoy their old movies. Otherwise a system like this was more likely to be shunned by general public, like the dvd player in the beginning.

Costs are around 22,49 a movie. But it just depends. That's sorta like the range now.
Right now they are sold seperatley as they are totally news discs. But it seems they are trying to incorporate the original movie with the HD. But no use in trying to play those back on your dvd player. As it have to have been pressed in DVD standard.

Bloo
12-06-2006, 10:35 PM

1. Very much so. Otherwise you'll barely notice a difference.

2. Yes, all next gen video devices are backwards compattable. Blu-Ray players will play DVDs too. Thank god cause I was not about to go re-buy all those movies.

3. Yes, but they are not the same price. Usually about a 10% increse, so they are more expensive. But there are also hybrid HD-DVDs which have a regular DVD side and an HD-DVD side so that they can be played on either.

Bloo
12-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Oops. My bad Jet. I didin't see you answered him already.

brown_dogg
12-07-2006, 06:40 PM
^^ props to both of you.

i was gonna wait for them to maybe put the hd dvd player in the xbox360, but i don't have an hd dvd.. so i guess i'll just get the regular 360. hopefully soon..