PDA

View Full Version : Mos Def - True Magic

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-03-2006, 12:22 PM
This is the sort of album you can just play and get into, chill out, smoke one to "the undeniable".

1. Tru3 Magic
"def on the speak, epic on the beat". Dope brass section in the production, not sure if its a sample sounds more like hes got a a real player doing it for him. Mos is rapping with his eyes closed, easily.

2. Undeniable.
WOW. Sounds like a roots production. One thing i notice on this album is alot of the drums sound like theyve been played on real drums, which is probably why they sound so phat. Catchy hook.

3. U R The One
Classic New York chilled out hip hop beat. Nice soul vocal sample. Might be as good as Ms Fat Booty. But like most of this album, more simple.

4. Thug Is A Drug
Kinda street song, Mos style. Not the best song on the album, its aight.

5. Crime & Medicine
"When the Mos Def came, and took the RZA beat"
You know what this is by now, of course beat is of the chain, and i think (as a Wu fan) that its dope that Mos did this. Personally I think he did it justice, like it alot. Clever title if you listen to the lyrics he kills this story. And is that Erykah Badu saying "strange time"? I know Wu is her favorite hip hop act, so it might be.

6. A Ha
No he hasn't covered Juvenile now, but at the start it has a bit of a southern style, but this is one of the banginist (thats not a word kids) beats on the album. Perfect for the car no doubt. I dont know any of the production credits, but ive got a FEELING this is the Neptunes.

7. Dollar Day (Surprise, Surprise)
You probably heard this already, the Katrina Klap. Ill chorus. Bout time hip hop artists say something about this.

8. Napolean Dynamite
Gorgeous beat, again I dont any producers of this album, but this might be Madlib, could be wrong. One of my favorite songs, ill sample usage. Classicness all over it. Too short though.

9. There Is A Way
Ok we're on the 9th track and first time singing has appeared. Mos doesnt rao on this song, hi8m and a girl just chant "there is a way" a lot, nice song though. I prefer this, its organic, if you're gonna have a singing song, do it for the whole song, not just the chorus and then 8 bars of rapping.

10. Sun, Moon, Stars
Nice deep beat, Mos super laid back as usual. This song just adding to the vibe of the whole CD. Cant dislike it.

11. Murder Of A Teenage Life
Early Wu Tang inspired beat, its that de-duhduh-da with a piano loop. You can probably guess what the songs about from the title.Mos shines again. You think he could rap in his sleep, why he hasnt had more albums I dont know.

12. Fake Bonanza
Ill ill ill 90's style hip hop beat, definite BOBS style. One of the best. Again Mos just rappin laid the fuck back style, but his rhymes are still dope.

13. Perfect Timing
Bit of a dreamy song, Mos voice is heavily echoed, sounds like his just freetylin. RIP JMJ.

14. Lifetime
Finally Mos couldnt hold back any longer, but hes a good singer, so I dont see the problem. Beat is slighlty reminiscent of May-December but not as good.

So overall, this album does what alot of people have been waiting for a hip hop album to do for ages, keep the same feeling all the way thru the album, rather than being all over the place with tonnes of different producers fucking up the whole flow of it. All the songs fit perfectly together, some of the best beats ive heard in ages, the exec producer deserves credit aswell. I'd go sa far as to say this is the best hiphop ive heard realeased in 2006. Support this album and buy it! We need more hip hop like this, he didnt even put one commercial song on there, for once we have an artist who doesnt give a shit about MONEY, cause there are no chart songs on here. Which i think Mos deserves a tonne of credit for.

Peace out, imma go watch the football.

Koolish
12-07-2006, 04:02 PM
i've been a commited mos def fan for as long as i can remember (in other words i don't remember when it began), and i was gonna pick up this new album regardless but this review got me a bit more hyped up for it, hell i might even head out and buy it right now.

sonofabitch, this was pushed back to january? what the hell... damn downloaders, giving me false hope.

beardman
12-19-2006, 12:05 PM
It's a very laid back album. I enjoyed it, nice vibe.

8/10
________
herbal grinder (http://www.vaporshop.com/grinders)

Polocash7
01-03-2007, 10:57 PM
It's a very laid back album. I enjoyed it, nice vibe.

8/10c/s. solid LP

Frank Drebin
01-04-2007, 01:20 AM
yo when is this album coming out and how are you getting leaked versions of this shit already? i cant wait for this fucker to drop over here. i want it now though. Mos Def is Mos Def

Kong
01-04-2007, 11:02 AM
good album, 7/10

Rorschach
01-14-2007, 06:25 AM
It's not a bad album, its pretty average; it's simply far below what Mos Def is capable of. The production is competent, but nothing impressive. Overall all, the album sounds rushed and lazy, there are good songs, not much completely sucks, but it's not worth buying, I think that's why most reviews online I've seen people bashing it, because it was another half-assed effort from him (apparently he's eager to get out of his contract with Geffen), and he's already had a disappointing career.

rulazigzagziagallah
01-14-2007, 11:44 AM
i loved this album it was the first mos def album i bought (sad but true it takes me awhile to get cd's) and i simply loved the album its getting bashed by critics for being "unfocused" but it seems to have a feel to it to me

1.Tru3 Magic- way to kick off an album. the beat is sick and mos drops some really good rhymes and the hook is catchy 2 bad its only 2 minutes long 10/10

2. Undeniable- he keeps up the bangin sounds. this track just won a grammy or sumthing and it is really good a sparse beat and a good hook that brings out the good in mos def 9/10

3. U R the One- its an okay song just a laid back kinda lovey song im not a big fan of these type of songs unless its done just right (i.e. common's love track on be track 5 or 6 the name is escaping me?) 6/10

4. Thug is a Drug- hard hitting beat and some nice rhymes he never really "says" how he feels about thuggism but he vaguely describes that egotism and striving to be thuggish leads to bad things 7.5/10

5. Crime and Medicine- steals the liquid swords beat and some rhymes from GZA definitely an ode to the wu the song is good but its not a beat that compliments mos that well 7/10

6. A Ha- just a call out song to wack rappers about how rap shit is boring and maybe thats why mos is less than focused cuz he knows no matter what he drops some snap song will take his spot in the rotation good new york beat too 8/10

7. Dollar Day- i love this song yes nolia clap was a gay song but he makes the beat work well he jsut calls out everyone and their mom and just says that god didnt intend the wicked to rule the world and like he says dont talk about it be about it 10/10

8. Napolean Dynamite- really nice beat just kinda jazzy and laid back and a good lil rap over it short but oh sooo sweet 9/10

9. There is a Way- i love this song if you're down n out just play it and the world will be a better place jsut simple lines and it works and way to make it a single mos he has no fear 10/10

10. Sun Moon and Stars- i am a huge fan of this song its like a soul-ish jazz with a lil rap thrown in and its laid back and fun i actually like mos's singing he has a very soul voice that is soothing to me but it seems im few and far in between on that one 10/10

11. Murder of a Teenage Life- slow pounding drums and an off-key piano it works but the song does lag a bit sad story too 7/10

12. Fake Bananza- i ilke this song especially the vocal sample of "the local polce" kinda same feel as "napolean" earlier 8/10

13. Perfect Timing- takes the old "up jumps the boogie" JMJ verse and just half sings it over a nic elil beat its skippable for me 6/10

14. Lifetime- the singing....and i like it he has a nice voice. he halfway mumbles for the first half as is his style but its a good song 8/10

overall i give the album an A- pick it up

Koolish
01-25-2007, 10:02 PM
turns out (according to MTV news) that this album shouldn't have been released. they're not releasing any more units and it's up to the stores if they want to to continue selling them.

so, as said in the article, if anyone bought those clear-cased mos def cds you have a collectors item. they're re-releasing the album in the spring with album artwork and a different tracklist.

INF
01-28-2007, 08:52 PM
turns out (according to MTV news) that this album shouldn't have been released. they're not releasing any more units and it's up to the stores if they want to to continue selling them.

so, as said in the article, if anyone bought those clear-cased mos def cds you have a collectors item. they're re-releasing the album in the spring with album artwork and a different tracklist.

wtf???

Biggbwoy
01-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Really impressed by this album..it is truly magic

CITY ZEEKER
02-19-2007, 12:21 AM
is better than new danger... but true magic is dope enjoyed the album

drippie k
02-26-2007, 01:36 PM

seriously? shit ll buy that one too

Visionz
03-05-2007, 07:33 PM

so, as said in the article, if anyone bought those clear-cased mos def cds you have a collectors item. they're re-releasing the album in the spring with album artwork and a different tracklist.what's the deal with this? How'd it happen and what new songs are we getting? I bought the original that I guess they pulled, just curious

-The A to the Z-
05-30-2007, 05:43 PM
I like the production and some of the song concepts, like perfect timing, but lyrically this isn't Mos Def's best. I don't think he trying that hard. But he was tryin to get off Geffen newayz so this is probably him holding back

Suga Duga
05-13-2008, 02:46 PM
dope album, 9/10