PDA

View Full Version : NEW YORK vs the "WHOLE SOUTH" - what's your preference?

OTB
12-05-2006, 02:54 PM
I say New York is still leading this culture, as far as real music

and I'm not saying there isn't good music in the midwest or out west, or around the world, this thread is strictly NY vs South sh-t, the originators vs. what's "selling" or "hot" now

this is real music to me, at any given time I'll bump this sh-t:

The South>
Scarface/8 Ball/some Outkast/some Hotboyz/and a few otherz

NY>
Rakim/KRS-ONE/Nas/Wu-Tang/Mobb Deep/Immortal Technique/DOOM/Kool G Rap/Jay-Z/Smif n Wessun/EPMD/Public Enemy/Killah Priest/Kweli/Mos Def/Sunz of Man/Gravediggaz/Killarmy(even though some are from Ohio I think)/Run-DMC/Gangstarr/AZ/Busta/Jeru tha Damaja/ etc. etc.
the list goez on and on, you get the point>

post any one I missed,and your opinionz

cap
12-05-2006, 03:00 PM
little correction gangstarr arent from new york,guru is from boston and primo is from texas.
but i see your point they rep NY.

yeah im definitely more into new york grimy shit than snap and crunk and whatever they come out with next.
i'd say 80% of my collection are ny mc's so...yeah i prefer that NY shit.

venex
12-05-2006, 03:08 PM
definately NY

recluse
12-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Dont forget Goodie Mob when you talking about the south. Im still hoping that reunion happens.
"if you dont like where I stay, fly away, fly away"

Kenny Powers
12-05-2006, 03:23 PM
even the best of the south comes no where close to even the decent new york rappers. I would take the westcoast over the south too, west is fire and the south is just lacking right now.

PLO-Stylez
12-05-2006, 03:52 PM
NY hands down 2 greatest mc's Rakim and KRs how can u go against that. Just too many greats from New York in general

Edgar Erebus
12-05-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm proud to say that I downloaded only one proper Southern album - Outkast's Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik.... and they even ain't what SOuth is now.

As for NY, until this winter I was wearing a NY baseball cap every day.

junius
12-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Gang Starr "Place Where We Dwell," nuff said. they never woulda made it like that, together or apart, anywhere else.

as for the larger question, it's not a fuckin' contest. i know Jay-Z has cred (duh) but cut him out altogether (because the content ain't there) & we're STILL the top & there's street dudes who ain't, & might never make it who have some fire...

i'm talking strictly old school 212/718 btw-- tho' obviously Rakim & PE are huge at their peaks, & PE via Spike Lee played the Brooklyn streets well.

meanwhile, while we all love the Wu, where's the sound of young Shaolin, and I don't mean Young Justice. anybody know of up & coming heat there? nothin' seems to make it over the Verrazano here.

Lil' Ruger
12-05-2006, 04:19 PM
junius did you put yor strret name for location? ur gonna get a rude awakening tomorrow lol....j/p but that might not be a good choice.

EAGLE EYE
12-05-2006, 04:21 PM
This forum is predominately NY hip hop fans, do you really think your gonna find a bunch southern junkies logging in here?

Prolifical ENG
12-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Many "real" southern artists you have not (yet) explored in depth or else your list would be longer to match those New York underground cats that you have listed.

All you did was list a few well known southern artists that started in the early/mid 90s and are still puttin out heat.

east coast vs whole south is one thing....

The whole south would crush NY...and yes in real music.

I don't blame you, the "real" southern hip-hop is hard to fine if you arent in the south.

CharlesJones
12-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Prolifical ENG shut the hell up. New York rappers will crush southern rappers period. Most southern rappers have no lyrical skills. To the dude who asked about a Goodie Mob reunion, Big Gipp said in The Source magazine a few months ago that Ceelo reunited with the group and there's gonna be a reunion album. Big Gipp said that he, T-Mo, Khujo never had beef with Ceelo. It's just that Ceelo decided to take a different musical route with his solo albums. I wish Ceelo would rhyme again because he said some tight lyrics on Goodie Mob albums. I'd rather hear him rap than sing.

Deity Allah
12-05-2006, 04:55 PM
East coast

Wu-Tality
12-05-2006, 04:55 PM
NYC is most of the East anyway.... but I say East. Because I only have few I like from the south (like Outkast, Scarface, Ludacris)

snapple
12-05-2006, 05:23 PM
the south is just a different flavor. i don't understand this entire VS thing, us new yorkers do us, and down south people do them. i never understood why on this fourm its such a big issue with people that regions other then NY are making music. immitation is a form of flattery.

Imperial1
12-05-2006, 05:35 PM
what's your preference?

If Texas hip hop has to go to war with NY hip hop, Iown want NO parts of it. I'd sit on the sidelines and clown folks like lil flip for coming up with wack rebuttal songs and chew him out for embarrassing Texas.

Imperial1

OTB
12-05-2006, 05:40 PM
cap- good correction on Gangstarr- I knew Guru was from Beantown, I just got in a zone when listing that NY sh-t

Prolifical ENG- good post, I can respect that sh-t>
but drop some science on who's ill from the south, because yes, it's hard to find if you aren't there

And what I mean by NY is still leading this culture is that, even the MC's from the 80's and 90's I'm checkin for their music or shows before some "chain hang low" or "laffy taffy" sh-t

Robbydigital> this thread was intended to separate the real headz from the fake. Anyone caught not keepin it real will be expozed-

I'm checkin for Immortal Technique or Kool G Rap before T.I or Ludacris
I'm checkin for KRS, M.O.P. or Jeru before Lil' Scrappy, Dem Franchise Boyz, or Jibbs and I think everyone on this forum should be- I've seen a few suspect comments from time to time and just wanted to expoze any fakerz or enlighten anyone still genuinely searching for real Hip-Hop

P.S. Also NY> B.I.G/Big L/and yes, M.O.P.(rugged neva smoov)

OTB
12-05-2006, 05:43 PM
snapple- Imitation is a form of flattery, but the media callz too much of that bullsh-t Hip-Hop. Most of that sh-t ain't true Hip-Hop.

snapple
12-05-2006, 05:54 PM
snapple- Imitation is a form of flattery, but the media callz too much of that bullsh-t Hip-Hop. Most of that sh-t ain't true Hip-Hop.

who gives a fuck what the media thinks? hiphop existed before the media did nobody cares what the media has to say

davedigital360
12-05-2006, 05:57 PM
imma have to say NY, but i aint hatin on the south. im a hip hop fan.

Prolifical ENG
12-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Prolifical ENG shut the hell up. New York rappers will crush southern rappers period. Most southern rappers have no lyrical skills.

LOL, all I did was question his knowledge of rappers from the south, now I turn to you and question yours since you say they have no lyrical skills. Maybe most southern rappers that YOU know. The south covers a lot of area, and a wiiiiide range of MCs.

Prolifical ENG- good post, I can respect that sh-t>
but drop some science on who's ill from the south, because yes, it's hard to find if you aren't there

And what I mean by NY is still leading this culture is that, even the MC's from the 80's and 90's I'm checkin for their music or shows before some "chain hang low" or "laffy taffy" sh-t

If you are talking about lyrical cats from the south, I must see South Park coalition or at least K-Rino on a lyrical list. K-Rino can compare to most of those NY lyrcicists. That is the best example. Strictly speaking "Chain Hang Low" isn't the south, but I guess some of the production makes it sound that way.

Hip-hop culture has always been different in a given geographical area, no matter what the scale is. It is hard to say anyone is "leading" it.

xHard to Earnx
12-05-2006, 05:59 PM
P.S. Also NY> B.I.G/Big L/and yes, M.O.P.(rugged neva smoov)

I have no idea what in the fuck you mean with this.

sonny getz
12-05-2006, 06:17 PM
I don't blame you, the "real" southern hip-hop is hard to fine if you arent in the south.

Can you reccomend some? I've heard very little southern rap that I've enjoyed.

That being said, I prefer New York rap over any other region.

MaXiMus Da MaNtis
12-05-2006, 06:21 PM
i have yet to hear a south rap artist besides outcast and luda wit lyrical skill......please post some

snapple
12-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Can you reccomend some? I've heard very little southern rap that I've enjoyed.

That being said, I prefer New York rap over any other region.

actually ive been down south for a minute, been in 4 different states. and i can say people down here listen to the shit that i can't stand that comes out of the south. i havent heard anyone here bumping devin the dude, south park mexican, cunninlinguists....but i havent discoverd any new artists since ive been down here other then Lil Boosey, and hes pretty inconsistent. but yea check for the first 3 i listed, TI, UGK, Ludacris, Outkast, Goodie Mob all are dope as hell

sonny getz
12-05-2006, 06:29 PM
^thanks man, i will. i've heard some stuff from TI, luda, and outkast, but just the radio hits. the stuff i've heard has been okay, but nothing too special. i'll look into some of their other stuff though, cause the radio stations rarely play the best joints off the album.

snapple
12-05-2006, 06:34 PM
^thanks man, i will. i've heard some stuff from TI, luda, and outkast, but just the radio hits. the stuff i've heard has been okay, but nothing too special. i'll look into some of their other stuff though, cause the radio stations rarely play the best joints off the album.

yea theyre definitly the heavyweights of the south you can't go wrong with any of their albums

Prolifical ENG
12-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Its hard to believe people are actually looking for some southern lyrical rappers now and say that they're open. Tha Hed tried sooooo hard to put this site on, but most never bothered checkin and just gave him the raspberry after droppin a massive amount of links, while everyone had the "fuck the south" approach.

I only know a handful of established posters on this forum that can actually talk about the south

The South Park Coalition is the most under apperciated Hip Hop group of all time
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25060

You bitch about Southern Hip Hop and the State of Hip Hop
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24055

You think all Atlanta has to offer is OutKast, Snap and Crunk?
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23990

Please stop sleeping on Z-Ro
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12190

As I said, those threads have been made and everyone hasnt a clue of who those cats were. The threads just went down the shitter.

Nah, I dont see many people in this thread that have 1 post in any of those threads.

snapple
12-05-2006, 06:42 PM
yea z-ro and k-rino are dope too check those dudes

sonny getz
12-05-2006, 07:13 PM
thanks for the links, i'll definately check those out.

Big Risk
12-05-2006, 07:38 PM
you guys forget about Little Brother?!?!?! THEY ARE FUCKIN FIRE!

and petey pablo LMFAO

Visionz
12-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Clipse is from the South as well. I'm constantly seein' new people in here tryin to take a shit on the South. A common theme to all of 'em is naming about the same three radio joints that no doubt probably get played like every 3 minutes on either the radio or mtv (though I wouldn't know cuz I don't check for either) and they usually have no real idea about the artist from the South other than the one's they hate (D4L, Dem Franchize Boys etc) and those that everyone knows is dope (Outkast, Scarface, Ludacris etc)The horse is dead already, give it a fuckin rest.

And if you're really interested in finding out about underground Southern Hip-hop just follow Prolifical's advise and just search for thaHed's threads. Just about every one covered that topic. peace

ol dirty abbot
12-05-2006, 11:28 PM
fuck its not even a question New York noplace will ever touch it

tical2000
12-05-2006, 11:44 PM
NEW YORK.....the South is garbage besides a handful of artists.....

the south is dominating the charts and tv in 2006.....which is the reason why the last couple years have been the worst years for mainstream hip hop ever! No substance, wack lyrics, totally commercialized

snapple
12-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Clipse is from the South as well. I'm constantly seein' new people in here tryin to take a shit on the South. A common theme to all of 'em is naming about the same three radio joints that no doubt probably get played like every 3 minutes on either the radio or mtv (though I wouldn't know cuz I don't check for either) and they usually have no real idea about the artist from the South other than the one's they hate (D4L, Dem Franchize Boys etc) and those that everyone knows is dope (Outkast, Scarface, Ludacris etc)The horse is dead already, give it a fuckin rest.

And if you're really interested in finding out about underground Southern Hip-hop just follow Prolifical's advise and just search for thaHed's threads. Just about every one covered that topic. peace

damn anything below NY is the south? i never knew...i would never have considerd b-more...virginia or any of that to be the south...

Visionz
12-06-2006, 12:13 AM
damn anything below NY is the south? i never knew...i would never have considerd b-more...virginia or any of that to be the south...
not maryland but Virgina definetly the South. They were part of the Confederacy.

Visionz
12-06-2006, 12:17 AM

the south is dominating the charts and tv in 2006.....which is the reason why the last couple years have been the worst years for mainstream hip hop ever! No substance, wack lyrics, totally commercialized

http://wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29669

The horse is dead already, give it a fuckin rest.

tical2000
12-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Clipse compare themselves to east coast rappers....and rap with an east coast style lyrically.....so I would consider them east coast....

also when they mentioned there 10 favorite albums of all time they mentioned nothing from the south, all east coast stuff

snapple
12-06-2006, 12:19 AM
oh yea dont sleep on geto boys

Visionz
12-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Virginia is part of the South homie. If all my favorite hip-hop albums where from NY (and quite a few of them are) does that make Texas east coast too? Yall haterz love to follow some ridiculous-ass logic.

snapple
12-06-2006, 12:25 AM
so where exactly does the south begin and end? are any of the artists i listend not southern artists?

Visionz
12-06-2006, 12:31 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/Map_of_CSA_4.png Disregard anything marked as a territory in this pic......btw notice the star there for Richmond. It's cuz it was the capital of the confederacy.

AcidPhosphate69
12-06-2006, 01:03 AM
I prefer Boston area rap. Slaine, Big Shug, Krumbsnatcha, Ed O.G., Jaysaun, Team 220 is alright, NBS, Ballkclub, Cyrus, Jake the Snake, Amadeus, Termanology, Smoke Bulga, Kreators, Akrobatik, etc.

Marc051
12-06-2006, 01:49 AM
NY has better mc's than the whole south, southern rappers sound illiterate babbling a bunch of nonsense, they can't make good beats either...

LORD ZERO
12-06-2006, 03:35 AM
Topic Shoulda Been Posted "east Vs South" Instead Of Just Ny, Even Tho We Own Just About All Da South In Experience And Skillz

Bone Collecta
12-06-2006, 03:38 AM
u ppl here disgust me

NY is north east VA-FL is south east

its all the fuckin east coast idiots.

Bone Collecta
12-06-2006, 03:39 AM
but this is a stupid ass thread yall should already know what yall biased fags are gonna say.

yall dont know shit about the south except whats on tv.

LORD ZERO
12-06-2006, 03:48 AM
u ppl here disgust me

NY is north east VA-FL is south east

its all the fuckin east coast idiots.

ONLY IN DA GEOGRAPHICAL SENSE, NOT DA MUSIC SENSE

LORD ZERO
12-06-2006, 03:50 AM
And Prepare For All Da East Vs South Mixtapes......one Of My Predictions On This Whole Slowly Building Beef

Dokuro
12-06-2006, 09:27 AM
NY.....but the west is still the best

Prolifical ENG
12-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Eric Unseen Quote:

http://wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29669

Quote:
The horse is dead already, give it a fuckin rest.

hahahaha :D

But yeah, geographical boundaries like that also can be argued...both geographically and in hip-hop (music). Is 2 Live Crew from Florida also southern or are they East Coast?

Prolifical ENG
12-06-2006, 08:10 PM
^^^^

I never been there but I can imagine that. Missuri supposed to be midwest, but often seen also as south.

No one wants to talk south anymore?

TSA
12-06-2006, 08:49 PM
another southern artist to look after is TRAE, from houston.. hes straight fire...... and btw id go with NY overall but i like several, several, southern artists

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
12-06-2006, 08:59 PM
I say New York is still leading this culture, as far as real music

and I'm not saying there isn't good music in the midwest or out west, or around the world, this thread is strictly NY vs South sh-t, the originators vs. what's "selling" or "hot" now

this is real music to me, at any given time I'll bump this sh-t:

The South>
Scarface/8 Ball/some Outkast/some Hotboyz/and a few otherz

NY>
Rakim/KRS-ONE/Nas/Wu-Tang/Mobb Deep/Immortal Technique/DOOM/Kool G Rap/Jay-Z/Smif n Wessun/EPMD/Public Enemy/Killah Priest/Kweli/Mos Def/Sunz of Man/Gravediggaz/Killarmy(even though some are from Ohio I think)/Run-DMC/Gangstarr/AZ/Busta/Jeru tha Damaja/ etc. etc.
the list goez on and on, you get the point>

post any one I missed,and your opinionz

how can you say ny is leading when those new york rappers are pensioners now

ny led hip hop, it don't now.............. face facts

Kenny Powers
12-06-2006, 11:06 PM
I prefer Boston area rap. Slaine, Big Shug, Krumbsnatcha, Ed O.G., Jaysaun, Team 220 is alright, NBS, Ballkclub, Cyrus, Jake the Snake, Amadeus, Termanology, Smoke Bulga, Kreators, Akrobatik, etc.

- yeah... who?

Visionz
12-07-2006, 12:17 AM
But yeah, geographical boundaries like that also can be argued...both geographically and in hip-hop (music). Is 2 Live Crew from Florida also southern or are they East Coast? ...Way to misquote the shit outta me Prol, lol. But 2 Live Crew is from the South. Their music reflected the sound of what was goin on in Florida at the time, jmo.

they can't make good beats either...you fuckin crazy for that one. Organized Noise have made some of the nicest beats in the history of hip-hop. Their work alone makes that statement complete non-sense.

Imperial1
12-07-2006, 01:04 PM
i have yet to hear a south rap artist besides outcast and luda wit lyrical skill......please post some

Look up the song "I Seen A Man Cry" by Scarface.

Imperial1

Imperial1
12-07-2006, 05:45 PM
yea z-ro and k-rino are dope too check those dudes

Z-Ro IS a ZERO when it comes to emcee'in.

Imperial1

Greek Gheynician Anal Tradition
12-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Ny Forever.......................