PDA

View Full Version : Hip-Hop is Dead = Gimmick (Ignorant Posters Need Not Enter)

Tetsuo
12-05-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm going to be honest and say that I'm not looking forward to Hip-Hop is Dead. I think the south is garbage and I think Hip-Hop isn't thriving in the way it once was, but even if it was "dead", I think Nas trying to market an album under the theme of "Hip-Hop is Dead" is phony.

I've always had mixed feelings about Nas because I think his role in the music industry is kind of confused. On one hand, he's a well respected artist by underground cats and old heads, but he's also something of a mainstream artist and a celebrity. Unlike Jay, who's become oversaturated by the mainstream, Nas has always tried to define himself as purist. Even on his most generic contributions, he has always come with a certain edge; you won't find a Nas album where he doesn't drop a gem at some point.

But what kind of statement is Nas really making by calling his album "Hip-Hop is Dead"? None at all. He knows it's a controversial statement, but these days, controversy - especially in Hip-Hop - has become a cliche'. It's drawn a lot of a attention to himself, it's caused a lot of backlash, and it's also fed into underground/backpacker superiority, but I don't understand what it's doing to help the music that he cherishes so much.

If he really cared about Hip-Hop than why doesn't he make an attempt at ressurecting it rather than further exploiting this already denigrated art form? If the south are the murderers of Hip-Hop, than Nas is nothing but a tabloid reporter trying to cash in on a tragedy. Nas may feel he's making an bold statement, but it's really just rash in the end.

To me newer cats like The Clipse are really saving the form. They're reinvigorating the genre by combining New School swagger with Old School values. I love Nas' music, but let's face the facts, most of it is boring these days. The Clipse will never be the legend Nas is, but they represent the new era. They're not wasting time bemoaning the death of the old era and hurting it more in the process by doing so.

benzo
12-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Good post. He's said that he wants to take things in a different direction after this album. If he goes on to diversify himself than it will be obvious that this whole Hip-hop Is Dead scheme was sincere. If he goes on making hip-hop records with "producer of the day" types, it will be obvious that he was full of shit and just felt that he needed a ploy this time to cash in.

wu82
12-05-2006, 06:18 PM
first of all nas never said the south killed hip-hop i wish people would stop saying that and im not goin to make any comments until i hear the album first and see what direction is goin with it but u have to understand nas always goes left with his shit when illmatic first came out the album cover was goin to show him with jesus in a head lock nas is different which is what makes him a great artist

snapple
12-05-2006, 06:20 PM
daaamn youre a quick one!

davedigital360
12-05-2006, 06:56 PM
i just personally think its a call for other artists to step up thier game, and thats all what its about. i mean right now im hearing some of the best hip hop i've heard in years. 06 was a good year

Negative Plethora
12-05-2006, 07:33 PM
i agree...

Bigot Hitman
12-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Hip hop isn't dead, its changing

maestro wooz
12-05-2006, 08:16 PM
definetley a marketing gimmick ala jay-z retiring. Listen to interviews, he has nothing interesting to say about hip hop being dead, he basically says the same thing that every german kid with under 10 posts says in their first thread in the hip hop spot.

bergs
12-05-2006, 08:37 PM
I think you're taking the album title WAAAAY too literally.

sakk
12-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Hip Hop is dead is not a gimmick. Its probably how Nas feels.

Personally I dont believe in a difference b/w hip hop and rap. But Hip hop as a movement is definitely fading.

Somebody had a sig saying "Hip hop in 2006 is a mcdonalds commercial"

I think nas is targeting the commercialization and saturation of crap in rap today.

LHX
12-05-2006, 09:39 PM
The Hip-Hop is dead approach became popular around 1998/99 it seems

kind of corresponds to the rise of the internet and how every trend now becomes world-wide and saturated within a matter of days

besides, 'Hip-Hop is healthy' doesnt have the same ring to it

you cant convince everybody that you are a hero if the thing you are trying to save is already healthy

Imagine Bowser didn't steal the Princess - what the fuck would Mario do?

Everybody knows the original Mario Bros game where he jumps around in the pipes, but that game sucked in comparison to Super Mario Bros.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-05-2006, 09:40 PM
It depends on what you define as "hip hop". That word means more than just raps&beats, it includes DJing, Graffiti, Dress Style, B-Boying, and all that shit. The streets of New York boroughs arent the same as they were in the 80's, you probably more likely to find the corner used as a crackspot than a breaking comp.

But all these things are still stronger than they have ever been, more people than ever are DJing and BBoyin and Griffiitiin than ever before all over the world.

So for Nas to say THATS dead, hes ingorant.

As far as rap music, its not dead, he may have an opinion its dying, but I cant really see any new fresh ideas hes bringing to the table to "save" it.

Yet with MC and artists like Kanye West, MF Doom, Outkast we possibly have some of the most creative sounds ever in Hip Hop, I dont see how it is dying.

Its only dying if you only watch MTV's version of rap music, maybe Nas isnt aware of alot of the shit thats out there (thats the only way I can save his ass from the wack title).

Sicka than aidZ
12-05-2006, 09:45 PM
it cant be dead kidz are just starting to listen for the first time to genuine hiphop everyday, and loving it. remember the first time u heard a sick as fuck track? well the sickness is still out there and peepz recognize it all the time. truthfully i dont remember a time when hiphop was that alive, its been underated as far back as i can remember. of course jay'z using it as a gimmick, he is a gimmick. i aint talking shit about jay so sorry if u take this the wrong way and im truly sorry if u stick up for him cuz I think he'z alwayz sucked. my 2 centz i dont think he'z ever had what it takez and shit like "hard knock life" and the rest of that corny watered down shit he made money off of proofz it in my opinion. dude is a studio gangster that got lucky that'z all

crass
12-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Hip-Hop is Dead = Gimmick

no shit

sakk
12-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Also the hip hop is dead title implies that the majority of people listen to crap.

Prolifical ENG
12-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Nothing wrong about that gimmick. Hes got soooo many people talking about his album and haven't even heard of it before because of that gimmick.

There is a concept of "gimmick" and a concept of "marketing strategy". Even if that title is meant to push his sales along with Def Jam his album is of obviously commercial, will it still have a soul element in it? Or will it be garbage.

Sicka than aidZ
12-05-2006, 10:16 PM
if u want hiphop hit up the wutangcorp audio lounge and half these muthafuckaz soundclicks...aint no commercial gimmickz on this forum. pure heat, nothin but

Kenny Powers
12-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Dont get too caught up in the title, fact of the matter is the album is gonna be the best of the year and i cant wait. Im not mad cause he titled the album "hip hop is dead" cause thats what he thinks and a lot of people have mixed feelings. Just wait till the album drops and I think we will see nas' best album...

Sicka than aidZ
12-05-2006, 10:19 PM
he'z got alot of reasonz and feelingz to back up his reason for naming it hiphop is dead and i think he mentionz that itz not truly dead itz dead enuf tho or some shit. im sure itz gonna be some sick shit. i cant wait i luv nas.

ThereisnoG.O.A.Tok
12-06-2006, 01:24 AM
First let's kill the south comment you had in the second line, The south didn't kill hiphop. Hiphop stop being hiphop after big and pac died, or were you still in pampers?

Hiphop is thriving for the simple fact that it's wide spread, diverse and have many different twist to it. Everyone have their own twist to it and that is great marketing for hiphop. Old rappers had their time, let newer fresher rappers own the charts now

Yeah man it took you how long to figure out it was an phony attempt to appeal to the Underground lames. He first was going to title the album NIGGA, then that changed because it just wouldn't have stood out as well as hiphop is dead The N.

What is wrong with a black man that actually can sell himself to two demographics? So what if he is mainstream, everything mainstream isn't trash and God knows that everything underground isn't ill.

You can't resurrect hiphop because it's not dead And nas knows that. The only difference in Then and now is that old rappers who got play no longer appeal to the mass. Believe it or not backpackers, The release of a young dro album didn't have any effect on the quality of Any wu release this year. It didn't stop your favorite rappers album from dropping and you still have new material from rappers you adore. He's just marketing himself. He's not exploiting hiphop. Who are exploiting hiphop is commericals that features hiphop artist music in them to try in sell a product. When you try to attract a certain demographic by targeting them with hiphop you are the one exploiting hiphop, however when you use hiphop as a tool to make money that's not exploitation that's what hiphop is about now. If it was to stay for the love, it would have fizzeled out in the 80s because it wouldn't have caught on to the rest of the world.

Hiphop other elements are fading because marketers haven't found a way to market them.

I do not think that Nas is stating what he feels, I think that he is on website like this one and reading post from the fans. Then he want to play towards that. Nas is trying to make money always has and always will.

i'll get it to complete my collection of Nas's albums but I don't think that he feels this way. Yeah I'm a big nas fan so he can call it anything and I will buy it.

Prolifical ENG
12-06-2006, 11:48 AM
First let's kill the south comment you had in the second line, The south didn't kill hiphop. Hiphop stop being hiphop after big and pac died, or were you still in pampers?

Hiphop is thriving for the simple fact that it's wide spread, diverse and have many different twist to it. Everyone have their own twist to it and that is great marketing for hiphop. Old rappers had their time, let newer fresher rappers own the charts now

Yeah man it took you how long to figure out it was an phony attempt to appeal to the Underground lames. He first was going to title the album NIGGA, then that changed because it just wouldn't have stood out as well as hiphop is dead The N.

What is wrong with a black man that actually can sell himself to two demographics? So what if he is mainstream, everything mainstream isn't trash and God knows that everything underground isn't ill.

You can't resurrect hiphop because it's not dead And nas knows that. The only difference in Then and now is that old rappers who got play no longer appeal to the mass. Believe it or not backpackers, The release of a young dro album didn't have any effect on the quality of Any wu release this year. It didn't stop your favorite rappers album from dropping and you still have new material from rappers you adore. He's just marketing himself. He's not exploiting hiphop. Who are exploiting hiphop is commericals that features hiphop artist music in them to try in sell a product. When you try to attract a certain demographic by targeting them with hiphop you are the one exploiting hiphop, however when you use hiphop as a tool to make money that's not exploitation that's what hiphop is about now. If it was to stay for the love, it would have fizzeled out in the 80s because it wouldn't have caught on to the rest of the world.

Hiphop other elements are fading because marketers haven't found a way to market them.

I do not think that Nas is stating what he feels, I think that he is on website like this one and reading post from the fans. Then he want to play towards that. Nas is trying to make money always has and always will.

i'll get it to complete my collection of Nas's albums but I don't think that he feels this way. Yeah I'm a big nas fan so he can call it anything and I will buy it.

:D

Dokuro
12-06-2006, 12:02 PM
I'm going to be honest and say that I'm not looking forward to Hip-Hop is Dead. I think the south is garbage and I think Hip-Hop isn't thriving in the way it once was, but even if it was "dead", I think Nas trying to market an album under the theme of "Hip-Hop is Dead" is phony.

I've always had mixed feelings about Nas because I think his role in the music industry is kind of confused. On one hand, he's a well respected artist by underground cats and old heads, but he's also something of a mainstream artist and a celebrity. Unlike Jay, who's become oversaturated by the mainstream, Nas has always tried to define himself as purist. Even on his most generic contributions, he has always come with a certain edge; you won't find a Nas album where he doesn't drop a gem at some point.

But what kind of statement is Nas really making by calling his album "Hip-Hop is Dead"? None at all. He knows it's a controversial statement, but these days, controversy - especially in Hip-Hop - has become a cliche'. It's drawn a lot of a attention to himself, it's caused a lot of backlash, and it's also fed into underground/backpacker superiority, but I don't understand what it's doing to help the music that he cherishes so much.

If he really cared about Hip-Hop than why doesn't he make an attempt at ressurecting it rather than further exploiting this already denigrated art form? If the south are the murderers of Hip-Hop, than Nas is nothing but a tabloid reporter trying to cash in on a tragedy. Nas may feel he's making an bold statement, but it's really just rash in the end.

To me newer cats like The Clipse are really saving the form. They're reinvigorating the genre by combining New School swagger with Old School values. I love Nas' music, but let's face the facts, most of it is boring these days. The Clipse will never be the legend Nas is, but they represent the new era. They're not wasting time bemoaning the death of the old era and hurting it more in the process by doing so.
the one man how want be bing the album every hip hop inthoseast is waiting in this album man you certifiable

davedigital360
12-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Nas was right man, hip hop purists are struggling artists. look at the wu. they used to run the rap game now they cant even sell a gold record. what the hell is going on?

GENERAL WISE
12-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Nas is mad that Hell Hath No Fury is getting more love from the underground than Hip Hop is Dead.

If you name your album Hip Hop is Dead you better deliever, and nas did not
Good album though, not even close to his older shit.