PDA

View Full Version : Best portable gaming system out now on the market...?

CherChezLaMarauder
12-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Pics, descriptions...i want it all.... i want to buy a top-of-the-line hand held gaming system that i can travel with....

(don't move this thread to the Tech-chamber, no one goes there)

zeppelin2k
12-12-2006, 09:21 AM
depends man
if you like graphics and GTA then get PSP
but DS has wimpier games, that are probably more fun in the long run

I would go with PSP simply bc of MGS and GTA
but DS probably has more titles that are fun

Ya_Bane
12-12-2006, 10:56 AM
GameGear

Old-school baby

pneumatic
12-12-2006, 11:07 AM
GameGear was WAY ahead of it's time. DS lite is the best out right now.

L~>1<~NKS
12-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Wait for the Xbox PORT - A - Ballz.

Jet Set
12-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Neo Geo Pocket Colour :P

Grongle
12-12-2006, 03:53 PM
The DS sucks! get a PSP

Bloo
12-12-2006, 10:48 PM
(don't move this thread to the Tech-chamber, no one goes there)

It looks like your wish was not granted :)

But anyway, It's not a matter of which one is better, cause the two hottest ones out right now both have their upsides and downsides.

PSP

Pros:
1. Better graphics than the DS
2. Better sound quality than the DS
3. Ability to watch video files and play music files out the box
4. RSS feed, web browsing, and PS3 media connectivity
5. (by sometime in 2007) Ability to purchase and download classic PS1 games for play on the go.
6. Sleek and sexy, your girl will wanna fuck it.

Cons:
1. Battery life is shit, on full charge only lasts maybe 5 hours.
2. Speakers aren't that loud, so headphones will be needed to really watch anything.
3. Memory Sticks are expensive, and you'll need a decent size one if you plan on doing more than just playing games.
4. Most PSP games are just knockoffs of PS2 games. Pro for some, Con for most.
5. UMD shells are fragile, not a problem if you plan on keeping them in their mini DVD sized cases. But that kinds defeats the whole portable thing...

DS Lite

Pros
1. Screens are bright as hell.
2. Battery life is twice as long as the PSP, even with the screens at max brightness.
3. Plays Game Boy Advance games
4. (rumour, hopefully true) possible DS Virtual Console which will allow you to purchase and download classic Game Boy and Game Boy Color games.
5. Connectivity with the Wii for gaming as well as DS demo downloads.
6. Better line up of online multiplayer games than PSP
7. Sleeker and Sexier than the PSP, your girl has probably already fucked it.

Cons:
1. Hardware not as powerful as PSPs. 3rd Party games usually end up looking like PS1 titles.
2. DS game cards are small, I've never lost once but that doesn't mean others won't
3. No multimedia function without an add on.
4. Touch screen tends to get scratched up with regular use, I'm gentle with mine so I have very little.
5. Wi-Fi compattable games are limited to random match ups, unless you have another persons friend code.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more. Hope that helped. Me personally, I couldn't make a decision so I just bought both :)

Razorsharp
12-13-2006, 12:39 AM
wanna buy me a PSP for xmas Bloo?? some fucks robbed my house and took mine like a year and a half ago... bitches!!! =/

Ozmosis
12-13-2006, 12:53 AM
DS Lite mos def....

Bloo
12-13-2006, 04:10 AM
wanna buy me a PSP for xmas Bloo?? some fucks robbed my house and took mine like a year and a half ago... bitches!!! =/

Sure :) Tell me how you want it pimped

Speaking of pimpin. I'm gonna be resurrecting the Pimp My Console thread soon. I sent off for a new shell for my DS Lite, should be here sometime next week. It's gonna be called the DS Oreo soon :)

Amplified Sample
12-13-2006, 04:48 AM
i have a psp i got it in septeber played it for 2 weeks and havent touched it since

Wu-Tality
12-13-2006, 06:29 AM
DS Lite, more good games. Less loading times.

Frontal Lobotomy
12-13-2006, 07:00 AM
Both are pretty chilled, its just down to whether you want to play Mario/Zelda or GTA/Pro. Personally, I'd go for the DS

Bloo
12-13-2006, 10:57 AM
I have more games for my DS, tons more if you add in all the GBA games. But honestly you just gotta weed out the bad PSP games. There are a lot of good ones, outside of GTA.

shaolinsword
12-13-2006, 12:55 PM
I just want to co-sign what Bloo said about porting the PS2 games for the PSP I've had two PSPs since release and I've probably had them for about 2-3 months each. If you do want to get the most out the PSP then downgrade to firmware 1.0 so you can get emu's on there but it stops you playing the newer games. The only strong reason I can see for getting a PSP is vice city stories as it's not coming to the PS2 and near enough every other game is going to be released on the PS2

I haven't got a DS yet because I've been spending my money on more important stuff but the games do look more fun than what's out on the PSP

but that's just my opinion

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
12-13-2006, 01:21 PM
I like the Mario mini games on the DS and the Brain Academy

Razorsharp
12-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Sure :) Tell me how you want it pimped

Speaking of pimpin. I'm gonna be resurrecting the Pimp My Console thread soon. I sent off for a new shell for my DS Lite, should be here sometime next week. It's gonna be called the DS Oreo soon :)

gimme a clear PSP... :D

Bloo
12-13-2006, 11:02 PM
I gotta go with PSP regardless of the lack of games u can get.....

Mine has been collecting dust for about 3-4 months now, and the last game I bought was Tekken: Dark Ressurection and Street Fighter Alpha Max

I was thinking about copping those two, but it's kinda pointless to me cause I don't know anyone else with a PSP to fight against and for some reason developers are against making games online compattable on the PSP so I'll just wait.

The 3 longest games I played for it were: Smackdown vs Raw 06', EA Fight NIght Round 3, and Madden NFL 06'.

I've traded in practically all my games to get other games for it, and now theres nothing on the market that interests me, even the Metal Gear Acid games I heard suck ass cus its more like a card game.

Yeah, Acid was aight, but I couldn't get into it either. I'm just not much of a card stratigest. But, Metal Gear Portable Ops is gonna be just like the console games, it takes place right after MGS3 so it should be hot. It's what Konami should've done in the first fucking place.

I've wanted to try the Dragon Ball Budokai series, though I'm skeptical, aside from that, I understand they released a Tenchu game in Japan for the PSP, though its not released herre....plus Mortal Kombat, Raw vs SD! 07', and Vice City Stories are released/soon to be released for it so its looking up.

I know Scarface, Godfather, Gangs of London, etc are released for it, but I've played them on PS2 (aside from Gangs of London) so I see no need to re-play them on PSP.

Ya not really missing anything, the Scarface game on the PSP is just like a strategy game, not like the GTA setup of the console versions, you spend most of the game looking at maps and shit, not too apealing at all.

But graphics wise and game play wise, PSP gets my vote.....though I wish thy'd stick a Final Fantasy game on there since its the only RPG I'm willing to play, t=other RPG's suck ass and can lick my scrotum
Well there's supposed to be FFVII: Crisis Core popping up soon. But I'm not sure it's a full fledged RPG, it'll take place in the FFVII universe so niggas should love that!

Jeah!

mizzywoe
12-13-2006, 11:23 PM
get a DS.......hands down........this shouldn't even be an issue........PSP is a good machine but will fall within the next year and a half........ALL handhelds end up losing to Nintendo......check the records.......it's just funner!!

Bloo
12-14-2006, 12:26 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20061213.jpg

LHX
12-14-2006, 08:32 AM
psp is already having a hard time since most companies have stopped releasing shit on umd

DS is a big bucket of fun

buy a screen protector

Sexy Jasper
12-14-2006, 08:47 AM
I like playing Tekken on the PSP. I still prefer the oroginal gameboy over the PSP and DS and I'm not even being a vintage hipster here, the PSP and DS just suck.

Bloo
12-14-2006, 10:17 AM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/d/d6/180px-Gameboy.jpg

LHX
12-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Gameboy Advance SP was the best portable gaming system ever

that is my biased opinion based on experience playing different systems

it could take a beating, it had a great game lineup, good battery life, portable etc etc etc

i even used it as a night light to read under it

srsly

Wu-Tality
12-14-2006, 01:14 PM
the DS can also play GBA games.

VDB-King
12-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Both PSP & DS got an enormous home brew scene. With people on th DS making Midi emulators and stuff. Crazy

LHX
12-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Both PSP & DS got an enormous home brew scene. With people on th DS making Midi emulators and stuff. Crazy
the only place i can find to buy that stuff is online tho

people in china town charge me a arm and a leg because im white

LHX
12-14-2006, 02:39 PM
the DS can also play GBA games.
but not original gamboy games or gameboy color

plus

when i look at the DS Lite next to the SP

the SP is still easier to toss in a pocket and carry around
(but not by much - DS is the new King of portable gaming no doubt)

Razorsharp
12-14-2006, 02:41 PM
but not original gamboy games or gameboy color

plus

when i look at the DS Lite next to the SP

the SP is still easier to toss in a pocket and carry around
(but not by much - DS is the new King of portable gaming no doubt)

word. the DS is pretty big... i miss my SP... =/