PDA

View Full Version : Why White People Are Afraid

Black Man
12-13-2006, 07:18 PM
By Robert Jensen (http://www.alternet.org/authors/4690/)

It may seem self-indulgent to talk about the fears of white people in a white-supremacist society. After all, what do white people really have to be afraid of in a world structured on white privilege? It may be self-indulgent, but it's critical to understand because these fears are part of what keeps many white people from confronting ourselves and the system.
The first, and perhaps most crucial, fear is that of facing the fact that some of what we white people have is unearned. It's a truism that we don't really make it on our own; we all have plenty of help to achieve whatever we achieve. That means that some of what we have is the product of the work of others, distributed unevenly across society, over which we may have little or no control individually. No matter how hard we work or how smart we are, we all know -- when we are honest with ourselves -- that we did not get where we are by merit alone. And many white people are afraid of that fact.
A second fear is crasser: White people's fear of losing what we have -- literally the fear of losing things we own if at some point the economic, political, and social systems in which we live become more just and equitable. That fear is not completely irrational; if white privilege -- along with the other kinds of privilege many of us have living in the middle class and above in an imperialist country that dominates much of the rest of the world -- were to evaporate, the distribution of resources in the United States and in the world would change, and that would be a good thing. We would have less. That redistribution of wealth would be fairer and more just. But in a world in which people have become used to affluence and material comfort, that possibility can be scary.
A third fear involves a slightly different scenario -- a world in which non-white people might someday gain the kind of power over whites that whites have long monopolized. One hears this constantly in the conversation about immigration, the lingering fear that somehow "they" (meaning not just Mexican-Americans and Latinos more generally, but any non-white immigrants) are going to keep moving to this country and at some point become the majority demographically.
Even though whites likely can maintain a disproportionate share of wealth, those numbers will eventually translate into political, economic, and cultural power. And then what? Many whites fear that the result won't be a system that is more just, but a system in which white people become the minority and could be treated as whites have long treated non-whites. This is perhaps the deepest fear that lives in the heart of whiteness. It is not really a fear of non-white people. It's a fear of the depravity that lives in our own hearts: Are non-white people capable of doing to us the barbaric things we have done to them?
A final fear has probably always haunted white people but has become more powerful since the society has formally rejected overt racism: The fear of being seen, and seen-through, by non-white people. Virtually every white person I know, including white people fighting for racial justice and including myself, carries some level of racism in our minds and hearts and bodies. In our heads, we can pretend to eliminate it, but most of us know it is there. And because we are all supposed to be appropriately anti-racist, we carry that lingering racism with a new kind of fear: What if non-white people look at us and can see it? What if they can see through us? What if they can look past our anti-racist vocabulary and sense that we still don't really know how to treat them as equals? What if they know about us what we don't dare know about ourselves? What if they can see what we can't even voice?
I work in a large university with a stated commitment to racial justice. All of my faculty colleagues, even the most reactionary, have a stated commitment to racial justice. And yet the fear is palpable.
It is a fear I have struggled with, and I remember the first time I ever articulated that fear in public. I was on a panel with several other professors at the University of Texas discussing race and politics in the O.J. Simpson case. Next to me was an African American professor. I was talking about media; he was talking about the culture's treatment of the sexuality of black men. As we talked, I paid attention to what was happening in me as I sat next to him. I felt uneasy. I had no reason to be uncomfortable around him, but I wasn't completely comfortable. During the question-and-answer period -- I don't remember what question sparked my comment -- I turned to him and said something like, "It's important to talk about what really goes on between black and white people in this country. For instance, why am I feeling afraid of you? I know I have no reason to be afraid, but I am. Why is that?"
My reaction wasn't a crude physical fear, not some remnant of being taught that black men are dangerous (though I have had such reactions to black men on the street in certain circumstances). Instead, I think it was that fear of being seen through by non-white people, especially when we are talking about race. In that particular moment, for a white academic on an O.J. panel, my fear was of being exposed as a fraud or some kind of closet racist.
Even if I thought I knew what I was talking about and was being appropriately anti-racist in my analysis, I was afraid that some lingering trace of racism would show through, and that my black colleague would identify it for all in the room to see. After I publicly recognized the fear, I think I started to let go of some of it. Like anything, it's a struggle. I can see ways in which I have made progress. I can see that in many situations I speak more freely and honestly as I let go of the fear. I make mistakes, but as I become less terrified of making mistakes I find that I can trust my instincts more and be more open to critique when my instincts are wrong.

Robert Jensen (rjensen@uts.cc.utexas.edu) is a journalism professor at the University of Texas at Austin. He is the author of, most recently, The Heart of Whiteness: Confronting Race, Racism and White Privilege (http://alternet.bookswelike.net/isbn/0872864499) (City Lights Books), from which this essay is excerpted.

Gawd
12-13-2006, 07:20 PM
iron lung, i know you well, i deal with you, like a bad spell....
see the trails, burn burn, red stripe, vicodine......

LHX
12-13-2006, 07:35 PM
its not gonna be a fun transition for a lot of people

Prolifical ENG
12-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Nope, it wont be fun for a lot of people. It is hard to imagine that some day the system will be reverse and "a system in which white people become the minority and could be treated as whites have long treated non-whites". At that time many *hope* that the long "progress" will be over....but who knows.

Sexy Jasper
12-13-2006, 07:50 PM
This thread is a piece of shit and I haven't even read a word but I'm very skilled in the art of assumption.

LHX
12-13-2006, 07:54 PM
This thread is a piece of shit and I haven't even read a word but I'm very skilled in the art of assumption.
its actually better than one would assume given Thread Title and Thread Starter

LHX
12-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Nope, it wont be fun for a lot of people. It is hard to imagine that some day the system will be reverse and "a system in which white people become the minority and could be treated as whites have long treated non-whites". At that time many *hope* that the long "progress" will be over....but who knows.
thats the irony

it wont be that way

if the white people accepted the situation and allowed the property to go back to the people, they would be forgiven for everything they have done

they would not be punished

the silencer
12-13-2006, 08:00 PM

this is startin to get ridiculous..

it wood be a different kind of annoying if it was actually a black dude with the handle Black Man who kept postin this stuff...but its some weirdo white dude.

i didnt read a word of it either btw..

Sexy Jasper
12-13-2006, 08:03 PM
I just read it. Even though I was expecting it to be bullshit, I was still disappointed. It has to be pretty shitty if I didn't expect anything and I still felt robbed.

LHX
12-13-2006, 08:06 PM
im not a big fan of the cutting and pasting of articles anyway

Ultimate Fist
12-13-2006, 11:06 PM
By Robert Jensen (http://www.alternet.org/authors/4690/)

It may seem self-indulgent to talk about the fears of white people in a white-supremacist society. After all, what do white people really have to be afraid of in a world structured on white privilege? It may be self-indulgent, but it's critical to understand because these fears are part of what keeps many white people from confronting ourselves and the system.
The first, and perhaps most crucial, fear is that of facing the fact that some of what we white people have is unearned. It's a truism that we don't really make it on our own; we all have plenty of help to achieve whatever we achieve. That means that some of what we have is the product of the work of others, distributed unevenly across society, over which we may have little or no control individually. No matter how hard we work or how smart we are, we all know -- when we are honest with ourselves -- that we did not get where we are by merit alone. And many white people are afraid of that fact.
A second fear is crasser: White people's fear of losing what we have -- literally the fear of losing things we own if at some point the economic, political, and social systems in which we live become more just and equitable. That fear is not completely irrational; if white privilege -- along with the other kinds of privilege many of us have living in the middle class and above in an imperialist country that dominates much of the rest of the world -- were to evaporate, the distribution of resources in the United States and in the world would change, and that would be a good thing. We would have less. That redistribution of wealth would be fairer and more just. But in a world in which people have become used to affluence and material comfort, that possibility can be scary.
A third fear involves a slightly different scenario -- a world in which non-white people might someday gain the kind of power over whites that whites have long monopolized. One hears this constantly in the conversation about immigration, the lingering fear that somehow "they" (meaning not just Mexican-Americans and Latinos more generally, but any non-white immigrants) are going to keep moving to this country and at some point become the majority demographically.
Even though whites likely can maintain a disproportionate share of wealth, those numbers will eventually translate into political, economic, and cultural power. And then what? Many whites fear that the result won't be a system that is more just, but a system in which white people become the minority and could be treated as whites have long treated non-whites. This is perhaps the deepest fear that lives in the heart of whiteness. It is not really a fear of non-white people. It's a fear of the depravity that lives in our own hearts: Are non-white people capable of doing to us the barbaric things we have done to them?
A final fear has probably always haunted white people but has become more powerful since the society has formally rejected overt racism: The fear of being seen, and seen-through, by non-white people. Virtually every white person I know, including white people fighting for racial justice and including myself, carries some level of racism in our minds and hearts and bodies. In our heads, we can pretend to eliminate it, but most of us know it is there. And because we are all supposed to be appropriately anti-racist, we carry that lingering racism with a new kind of fear: What if non-white people look at us and can see it? What if they can see through us? What if they can look past our anti-racist vocabulary and sense that we still don't really know how to treat them as equals? What if they know about us what we don't dare know about ourselves? What if they can see what we can't even voice?
I work in a large university with a stated commitment to racial justice. All of my faculty colleagues, even the most reactionary, have a stated commitment to racial justice. And yet the fear is palpable.
It is a fear I have struggled with, and I remember the first time I ever articulated that fear in public. I was on a panel with several other professors at the University of Texas discussing race and politics in the O.J. Simpson case. Next to me was an African American professor. I was talking about media; he was talking about the culture's treatment of the sexuality of black men. As we talked, I paid attention to what was happening in me as I sat next to him. I felt uneasy. I had no reason to be uncomfortable around him, but I wasn't completely comfortable. During the question-and-answer period -- I don't remember what question sparked my comment -- I turned to him and said something like, "It's important to talk about what really goes on between black and white people in this country. For instance, why am I feeling afraid of you? I know I have no reason to be afraid, but I am. Why is that?"
My reaction wasn't a crude physical fear, not some remnant of being taught that black men are dangerous (though I have had such reactions to black men on the street in certain circumstances). Instead, I think it was that fear of being seen through by non-white people, especially when we are talking about race. In that particular moment, for a white academic on an O.J. panel, my fear was of being exposed as a fraud or some kind of closet racist.
Even if I thought I knew what I was talking about and was being appropriately anti-racist in my analysis, I was afraid that some lingering trace of racism would show through, and that my black colleague would identify it for all in the room to see. After I publicly recognized the fear, I think I started to let go of some of it. Like anything, it's a struggle. I can see ways in which I have made progress. I can see that in many situations I speak more freely and honestly as I let go of the fear. I make mistakes, but as I become less terrified of making mistakes I find that I can trust my instincts more and be more open to critique when my instincts are wrong.

Robert Jensen (rjensen@uts.cc.utexas.edu) is a journalism professor at the University of Texas at Austin. He is the author of, most recently, The Heart of Whiteness: Confronting Race, Racism and White Privilege (http://alternet.bookswelike.net/isbn/0872864499) (City Lights Books), from which this essay is excerpted.

What's the matter? Are you afraid things aren't going to be "civilized" white boy?

EAGLE EYE
12-13-2006, 11:19 PM
LHX needs to make a sticky thread similar to the Dan Cooley one in KTL

7EL7
12-14-2006, 12:30 AM
pure penis envy

Visionz
12-14-2006, 01:30 AM
The real question is "Will western thought disappear when white peoples majority hold on shit goes away?" If the mentality lingers longer than the skin color, it won't really matter, and the division amongst people won't really go away. Everybody likes to pretend that shit's about color. The color of the man's skin is just another excuse, and relied on often cuz its an easy one, to create a state of division amongst the people. We we're divided up among ourselves, killing ourselves, creating situations for ourselves to be killed, then we have no time to focus on who the real enemy is, AND THEY KNOW IT. Does anybody in here really believe that history keeps on repeating itself by accident?

snapple
12-14-2006, 10:35 AM
i hope it never reverses, i hope it is eliminated, nobody deserves to go through that shit...

LHX
12-14-2006, 02:01 PM

youre prolly right

LHX
12-14-2006, 02:03 PM
The real question is "Will western thought disappear when white peoples majority hold on shit goes away?" If the mentality lingers longer than the skin color, it won't really matter, and the division amongst people won't really go away. Everybody likes to pretend that shit's about color. The color of the man's skin is just another excuse, and relied on often cuz its an easy one, to create a state of division amongst the people. We we're divided up among ourselves, killing ourselves, creating situations for ourselves to be killed, then we have no time to focus on who the real enemy is, AND THEY KNOW IT. Does anybody in here really believe that history keeps on repeating itself by accident?
i agree with what you say

but
that 'history repeats itself' quote is trash

there are patterns, but certain things dont repeat perpetually

you are right - it has little if anything to do with skin color - if anything it is a symptom rather than the source of the problem

supremecharma
12-15-2006, 01:42 AM
this is startin to get ridiculous..

it wood be a different kind of annoying if it was actually a black dude with the handle Black Man who kept postin this stuff...but its some weirdo white dude.

i didnt read a word of it either btw..

how did we find out he was a whitey??

7EL7
12-15-2006, 03:00 AM
BLACK PEOPLE WHITE PEOPLE

(You see,i can copy paste too, look ma)

For decades or maybe even whatever is bigger than decades much of mankind has struggled to live in a utopia of equality. Despite these efforts to transform societies around the globe the world remains a festering sore of hatred, or at least slight prejudice. A lack of respect and a seething distrust of other races is almost expected of most people these days. This owes more to tradition than anything, as stereotypes and slurs pile up, one on top of the other, to provide racists and homophobes with more ammunition. It's too easy to fling these barbs out, and because there is the slightest hint of truth to many of them they wound much more than if they were wholly unfounded. White guys just might not be able to dance as well as people of other races. Black people just might like fried chicken a little more than other races. Eskimos just, uh, might…fly…horses to…moons of…eh! Fucking Skimos, never givin' a guy a break. I realize that Something Awful can't do a lot to change the world of race relations, but I think there is something we can do to lend a very small helping hand. We need to dilute the stereotypes. Drown the slurs in a sea of new and entirely nonsensical epithets. You may insult or enrage an Asian person by yelling "hey Chink!" at them, but if you yell "hey Mister Fix-It!" at them chances are all you will do is confuse them slightly. More importantly if any racists are watching you'll confuse them too. Racists are almost invariably "going with the flow". If they see some people yelling random nonsense at minorities they are going to imitate this idiotic behavior. Before you know it you'll have the drunken racists who drive around on Saturdays in a beat up Camaro screaming "Go back to Cloud City you damned Launch Tubes" at a family of Puerto Ricans.
If you're not following my logic let me put it another way; the tables will be turned!
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare.gif Caucasians http://www.somethingawful.com/inserts/news/images/03-2003/03-10-2003-whitepeople.jpg Sweet Tarts claim another victim.
Current Status: Caucasians, or "white folk", are generally the least susceptible to racial bigotry, although resentment from minorities has created a few lackluster attempts at slurs and stereotypes for whites. Since no white people read Something Awful I'll go ahead and get the Caucasians out of the way. Their current stereotypes center on their inability to be "hip" and "with it". Racial slurs run the gamut from the fairly impotent "cracker" or "white bread" to the spooky and mysterious "ghost face". Relatively affluent adult white men are known collectively as "The Man" for their ability to keep people, meaning non-white males, down. I guess this qualifies as a racial slur too although I'm not really a doctor of raciology.
Suggested Fake Stereotypes
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif If a white person eats a Sweet Tart they perish instantly.
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif There is a race of super-whites called "Mirrors" that are so white you can see yourself in them. If two mirrors stand next to each other they die. If you take a picture of one then you die.
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif If a parakeet dies in its cage it is because a white person is nearby. Coal miners used to use parakeets to detect white leaks in Caucasian-rich veins of bauxite.
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif White people are really bad at holding their breath for extended periods.
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif If you hear a church bell ring it means that a white person has lost a tooth.
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif When a white person drinks a dark beer they become black, but only for 24 hours. This experience is also very painful to them and they usually avoid it unless on a "covert op".
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Fat white people contain prizes. Prizes that bite.
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif If you see a white person with a lot of hair on their body that means they are the king white person.
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif White Americans make very bad presidents. Suggested Fake Racial Slurs http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Lazy Susan
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Beanbagz
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif The Talk of the Town (only elderly white women)
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Curacao
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif What Got Into That Cat ("Friskies" is also acceptable)
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Jury Duty
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Xpac http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare.gif African Americans http://www.somethingawful.com/inserts/news/images/03-2003/03-10-2003-blackpeople.jpg Oh great, they've formed their six-eyed insect army again.
Current Status: One of the most racially discriminated against groups; African Americans have a long legacy of oppression and prejudicial treatment and have a tough road to hoe even in this liberal day and age. Popular stereotypes range from "they like fried chicken and watermelons" to "they are all criminals and rapists". There is a general fear of young black men in today's society, a fear that is reinforced by the news media's heavy reporting of any black crimes. As with most stereotyping there are a few positive stereotypes for black people, including "they have giant penises" and "they are really good at sports". Despite the preponderance of stereotypes related to African Americans there is plenty of room for more! Fake stereotypes about them will help to confuse racists and muddle the current stereotypical representation of African Americans.
Suggested Fake Stereotypes:
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Black women control the men, or "worker drones", by secreting a pheromone from a special gland in their thorax.
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif If you are touching a black man when the song "Under the Boardwalk" plays on the radio then you are legally married to that man regardless of your sex.
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Black people are excellent astronauts
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif African Americans cannot cross moving water and must retire to a box containing the soil of their homeland when sleeping.
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Black people will pass out if they see a helicopter. Even seeing one on TV or in a photograph makes them dizzy.
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Black people can disguise themselves as inanimate objects by using an innate shape-shifting ability. If you spot one and call out his or her true name then they will grant you three wishes.
Suggested Fake Racial Slurs: http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Electric Avenue
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Dot Com Dot Bomb
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Michelob
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Carburetor
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Kintaro
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif Ghoulies (applies only to a group)

Skellington
12-15-2006, 10:50 AM
LOL Black Man has the award for dumbest thread :)

Sexy Jasper
12-15-2006, 10:58 AM
http://i.somethingawful.com/bluesquare-dark.gif If you are touching a black man when the song "Under the Boardwalk" plays on the radio then you are legally married to that man regardless of your sex.

hahahaa

crass
12-15-2006, 12:14 PM

i thought KTL WAS the dan cooley section

LHX
12-15-2006, 12:44 PM
i thought KTL WAS the dan cooley section

oooo burn

crass
12-15-2006, 01:27 PM
i didn't mean it. i'm full of self-loathing

*slice*

oLd_KaiNry
12-15-2006, 02:33 PM
i just readed 2 sentenced of that hole text

what if black ppl were the ones owning all those companys and shit... would they rather hire a black man or a white man...

black would do the same shit that we do right now... so stop fucking crying... u live in fucking usa and u consider yourself an american why do u guys allways have to compare to white...

and wtf are those privileges that u guys cant get ?

7EL7
12-15-2006, 06:32 PM
^^ Ah ha

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6260/blackpeopleyi3.png

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3358/artaudeb7.png
WHITE PEOPLE

7EL7
12-15-2006, 09:13 PM
oh yeah and...

Black people come from apes and monkeys
and white people come from wolves and boars

and everyone else is just a wolf ape boar monkey combination except for the asians

they come from the stars
they are aliens

LHX
12-15-2006, 09:50 PM
yall still talkin about this black white business?

what about the robots yo?

this is almost 2007 now

lets get up to date

this thread is Flintstones in a world of Jetsons

no Brontosaurus Burgers here...

7EL7
12-15-2006, 09:55 PM
yall still talkin about this black white business?

what about the robots yo?

this is almost 2007 now

lets get up to date

this thread is Flintstones in a world of Jetsons

no Brontosaurus Burgers here...

black and white people are the Robots

they both are programmed to say

"welcome to mighty burger may i take your order ?"

LHX
12-15-2006, 09:58 PM
I?

Robot?

sorry - could you speak louder into the speaker? was that a double bacon burger? with a side of pork rinds?

and a orange crush?

7EL7
12-15-2006, 10:01 PM
we are all out of the regular pork rinds

may i interest you in the spicy hot pork rinds wiff the fat back attachments ?

its free for only $2.99 wiff 3 ketchup packets included

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/3991/irobot12qt8.jpg

-Mad Skillz-
12-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Gotta admit, I'm afraid of getting dunked on by a black guy.

7EL7
12-17-2006, 12:36 PM
Gotta admit, I'm afraid of getting dunked on by a black guy.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7552/vincecarterolympicdunkic7.jpg