PDA

View Full Version : The screw over of developers on Marketplace

Jet Set
12-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Some Marketplace Downloads Already On Disc? (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/marketplace/some-marketplace-downloads-already-on-disc-223420.php)

http://www.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/12/goodfellas.jpg And the case against microtransactions mounts. Industrious NeoGAF poster "a master Ninja" has done a little digging and uncovered just how big some of the "downloads" are over the XBL marketplace for useless shit like Viva Piņata accessory packs. I say "downloads" because, well, you're not really downloading much at all. From the size of these files, it's clear you're just downloading a key that unlocks content already present on the disc. Content that you've already paid for by paying for the disc.
Not. Cool.

Downloadable Keys that unlock content ON THE DISC that you can ONLY get by PAYING MORE MONEY Alaskan Adventures
Alaskan Bonus Pack 1 (100 points)
108.00 KB
Cabela's Safari
Safari Bonus Animal (150 points)
108.00 KB
Chromehounds
Total price of all downloadable parts keys (1800 points)
The keys are 108.00 KB each
College Hoops 2K7
2K ReelMaker for College Hoops 2K7 (400 points)
108.00 KB
LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
LEGO Star Wars Characters (200 points)
108.00 KB
Rapala TOurnament Fishing!
California Delta Bonus Level (150 points)
108.00 KB
Samurai Warriors 2
Total price to buy horses and hire people not otherwise available (580 points)
The Godfather
Favor Pack - 3 Favor Missions (250 points)
108.00 KB
Viva Pinata
Accessory Pack 1 (80 points)
Accessory Pack 2 (80 points)
Accessory Pack 3 (80 points)
Accessory Pack 4 (80 points)
TOTAL COST for content on the disc that is ONLY accessible by PAYING MORE MONEY
3950 MS points ($49.38)

Downloadable keys that COST MONEY to unlock content you could unlock by ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME
Need for Speed: Carbon
Total price for all the available content keys (7320 points)
The Godfather
The Don Collection (800 points)
or if you buy each thing separately 1265 points
TOTAL COST for content on the disc that you could actually play to get
8120 MS points ($101.50)

FREE Downloadable Keys that unlock content ON THE DISC
Ridge Racer 6
36 different cars
Chromehounds
Color Pattern02, Assist parts01, Heavy arms01, Light arms02
Dead Rising
9 different outfits

If it's on the disc, and I paid $50 for the disc, I want everything that's on it. I paid for it, it's mine. Withholding content that's on that disc until I pay some MORE money is extortion. Microsoft, Major Nelson, anybody: this needs to stop. NOW. Luke Plunkett
Paying for content already on the disc, the EVIL side of the Xbox Live Marketplace (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134598) [NeoGAF, via Game|Life]

Fuckers

J-Cee
12-21-2006, 11:28 PM
true.but all those little downloads are fuckin shit anyway,i never downlaod any of those things.

Icurus
12-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Dude thats not as bad as the rumored Gran Turismo HD download content. You start the game off with two tracks and two cars. You have to spend about $2000 just to have fun with all the content on the game. However all the money you spend will not be within a day/week of the release of the game. It will take about 6 months to a year to get all the content.

Bloo
12-22-2006, 04:11 AM
Yeah, I didn't think Sony was actually stupid to go along with that plan.

I was proven wrong

Jet Set
12-22-2006, 05:02 AM
Dude thats not as bad as the rumored Gran Turismo HD download content. You start the game off with two tracks and two cars. You have to spend about $2000 just to have fun with all the content on the game. However all the money you spend will not be within a day/week of the release of the game. It will take about 6 months to a year to get all the content.
Uh, you download all that and pay for every item.
The problem here is, you buy a whole bunch of compiled code. And in order to see all the code, you got to but some key.

Did you ever buy a house and then had to pay to unlock certain rooms in your house? Would you feel fucked?

GTHD is more like, a kit car you are building. Slowly are you buying all the parts and is just getting more complete by the things you buy.

Just think these two are different things like X-rated movies and Mature games.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/1838/eajf3.gif

Ozmosis
12-22-2006, 06:34 AM
Yeah, I didn't think Sony was actually stupid to go along with that plan.

I was proven wrong
why not it's all about money

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
12-22-2006, 01:04 PM
blah anyone who actually downloads that bullshit is stupid anyway, but this does need to stop

*sensing some sony favoritism in this thread*