PDA

View Full Version : On The Road-Jack Kerouac

maestro wooz
01-01-2007, 12:35 AM
I recently reread this book again and i still love everything about it. The characters, the theme, everything about it is great and i am a big fan of his writing style. I'm sure some of you have read it, drop some thoughts. If you havent read it i highly recommend you put down all that dumb crap about who grafted who and pick up a great beatnik book about life.

Dirty Knowledge
01-02-2007, 02:05 AM
I read The Dharma Bums and yes I agree about Kerouac's writing style it is what you say. I am going to try and read this one soon.. thanks for the reminder.

Longbongcilvaringz
01-02-2007, 10:50 AM
ive read "The electric Kool-Aid Test", not that it has alot to do with the topic really, and that was good, i'll check this out.

zeppelin2k
01-02-2007, 11:24 AM
yeah he was wasted the whole time he wrote it
he wrote it all at once across the country in a car
classic

maestro wooz
01-02-2007, 12:09 PM
I read The Dharma Bums and yes I agree about Kerouac's writing style it is what you say. I am going to try and read this one soon.. thanks for the reminder.

yeah on the road is supposed to be the prequel to dharma burns, it focuses mostly on sal aka jack kerouac and dean aka neal cassady who i think is called cody in the dharma burns. I'm in the reverse situation as you, been meaning to pick up dharma burns for awhile.

ive read "The electric Kool-Aid Test", not that it has alot to do with the topic really, and that was good, i'll check this out.

not too far off though, one of the main characters is neal cassady who later became one of the merry pranksters and the driver of the bus. That's another book i wanna get to.

yeah he was wasted the whole time he wrote it
he wrote it all at once across the country in a car
classic

the material is all about when they were wasted, but the first time he wrote it he took mad benzedrine and typed basically for 3 straight weeks, the first copy was one huge paragraph that stretched over something like 12 feet of type writer paper all taped together. That's some hardcore shit haha.

LHX
01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
i havent read anything by Kerouac, but what yall are describing makes me think of Bukowski

yall read any of his stuff yet?

is there any comparison?

Punch
01-02-2007, 03:38 PM
i havent read anything by Kerouac, but what yall are describing makes me think of Bukowski

is there any comparison?
Sort of but only on the surface.
Bukowski's work is much more absurd.

maestro wooz
01-02-2007, 09:12 PM

is there any comparison?

not sure i never read any bukowski, i just looked at his wikipedia page and they're from the same time period but i dont think there in the same circle. Kerouac and the beat movement, as i understand it im just trying to get into it, wasn't really political but more of a just trying to find yourself kinda shit. This book is all about a bunch of trips this guy makes cross country and him and his pal do all type of wild shit and his friend dean is an amazing character.

LHX
01-02-2007, 10:27 PM
maybe it is like Bukowski then

i highly recommend it yo

there is lots of online Bukowski resources

i gotta check out this Kerouac kid

maestro wooz
01-03-2007, 02:57 AM
aight ill look into it, im going to the library tommorow, any other suggestions

LHX
01-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Bukowski wrote poetry and novels

check out the poetry first

maestro wooz
01-03-2007, 03:51 PM
went to the library today, first one i went to didnt have any kerouac or burroughs, had to go to the next town over and they had what i was looking for but neither had bukowski. Incredulous my good men, absolutely incredulous.

LHX
01-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Bukowski wasnt too popular amongst 'scholars'

maestro wooz
01-10-2007, 03:20 PM
i finished dharm bums last night. It moves at alot slower pace then on the road and it's more mellow. Deals with alot of buddhism and the author spends alot of time just sitting in the woods meditating. It was nice and a very interesting read but on the road was alot more exciting to read.

I'm starting william burroughs book called naked lunch now. Anyone ever read that?

maestro wooz
01-15-2007, 02:09 AM
bump,

anyone ever read naked lunch? It's just a bunch of random crazy drug/hustling/gay stories thrown together all at once with no order or time sequence. Reading it i often have no idea what exactly is going on but you pick up on sentiments about everything. Feels like the first times i listened to doom, that "i dont know what's going on but something is going on" type of feeling.

Kriszy Substance
01-15-2007, 06:12 PM
I read Naked Lunch and On The Road YEARS ago...wish I recalled them better but there were both good books. Bukowski is very good as well. I think Tales of Ordinary Madness was the last I read, but I just bought Diary of a Madman for a friend and am hoping to borrow it from them when they are done since I havent checked that one out yet. LHX, I recently watched that Born Into This documentary on Bukowski and if you havent watched it yet, I highly reccomend it.

Anyway, Wooz, I think you have inspired me to read On The Road again.

tobacojones
01-16-2007, 02:08 PM
A friend got me into Burroughs last year. Naked Lunch is awesome, huh?

froth
01-16-2007, 10:52 PM
nakedd lunch is great, yeah i saw that bukowski documentary it is really good. tales of ordinary madness is a good one to llok at, short stories, al ot of them crazy. all of the authors coming up in here are classic

ballistic
01-17-2007, 05:44 PM
oh my god...jack kerouac is my favorite writer, and i thought james joyce would never be usurped for that distinction.
jack kerouac has to be the most beautiful American writer of the 20th century, which makes it all the more outrageous that he is so severely and criminally underrated in the literary world. not only did he capture the vision of a developing movement in tenuous postwar America, but his lyrical experimentation in prose is unparalleled in the history of American literature. he developed a spontaneous style, where he captured the movement of the mind on the page. his motto was 'first thought, best thought', and he delighted in writing with "one hundred percent personal honesty". kerouac tried to replicate the improvisation of jazz musicians in writing, and this is partly what lends kerouac's writing a sort of unbridled yet innocent flow. he also was remarkable at mythologizing; he took the mundane and made it wondrous. his writing is at turns rapturous, heartbreaking, somber, and transcendent.
i'd suggest On the Road and Dharma Bums for starters, but he has so many beautiful books. actually, read Visions of Cody after On the Road. its basically a compilation of excerpts from OTR that kerouac lifted after scrupulous surveying of the OTR manuscript for years after he wrote it. visions of cody is even more soaring, speeding, and spontaneous-seeming than OTR, but its not exactly a novel. more like a fragmented, epic, loose poem.
but yeah, i could go on all night. ask me anything about kerouac, i can probably tell you for all the research i've done.

ballistic
01-17-2007, 05:58 PM
o and kerouac was the guy who named burroughs' eclectic and dizzying work "naked lunch". burroughs originally was going to call it "word hoard". and if it weren't for kerouac, there probably wouldn't have been ginsberg's 'howl'. ginsberg tried to model his poetry after kerouac's style of writing, and came about as close as anyone could with 'howl' and that collection of poems.

maestro wooz
01-18-2007, 01:08 AM
yeah i wanna get visions of cody next but the libraries around me are turning out to be real shit. I'm going through naked lunch but it's going slow i have to admit. It's kind of an intense read to try to follow what things are going on, i can only chew off so much at once. Still though, it's a trip to read.

GENERAL WISE
01-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Into the Wild > this bs

ballistic
01-18-2007, 05:44 PM
yeah admittedly i still havent read naked lunch...out of the beat generation, i've only read kerouac, ginsberg, and gary snyder. but other guys like gregory corso and lawrence ferlenghetti put out notable works too. but when i started reading kerouac i fell in love...his shit is amazing.