PDA

View Full Version : 30 Day Shaolin Challenge

Ultimate Fist
01-05-2007, 08:55 PM
I've been thinking of doing something like this for a long time because I've wanted to be a Shaolin Monk since I was little. Recently, I've wanted to get back into shape and learn how to meditate. So I' came up with this idea- the 30 day Shaolin monk challenge. 30 days of training to get into shape and 30 days of meditation; 30 days of reflecting on life and 30 days to become something new. Anybody who wants to make a change in their life can join on. We'll start 1/10/2007 (to give people time to sign on.) The rules will be an easier version of the rules of an actual Zen monastery: get up early, meditate once a day, etc. Here they are:

RULES FOR SHAOLIN MONK CHALLENGE:

1. Every person taking on the challenge will wake up at 5AM in the morning and go to bed by 10PM. (This is an hour later than the schedule of a real monastery: 4AM-9PM)

2. Meditation will be first thing in the morning at 5:20AM (but not after breakfast- the food will roll around in your stomach). I am setting no time requirement for how long you have to meditate- meditation is like a muscle, you shouldn't overtrain it or you'll hurt yourself. If you get a headache after meditating, you've done it too long. Five minutes is a good starting point and most monks meditate 50-90 minutes per session 4 times a day. A "how to" on meditation will be below. If you already know a meditation, feel free to use that one.

3. After your morning meditation session, study the text of your religion. If you are an atheist or otherwise nonreligious, I would recommend either reading the religious text you were raised with, a poetry collection or the Dhamapada (a Buddhist text; link will be below.)

4. In the afternoon, take a meditation walk (described below).

5. Each day, do some form of Eastern exercise; whether it's yoga or chi kung or kung fu. Do your exercise either in the morning or the afternoon.

6. Keep a journal, writing each day's progress. Every Friday, come online and report on your progress. On Fridays (if this catches on), I'll post a Zen article.

Any advice from experienced Buddhists, Kung Fu people etc appreciated. Espcially to martial artists/yogis/etc- feel free to offer an actual exercise routine. I have no expertise in that area.

Ultimate Fist
01-05-2007, 09:09 PM
BASIC MEDITATION

Sit in a way that is comfortable. You can sit on a chair or on the ground with a pillow to raise your buttocks (this will help you avoid leg strain). If on the ground, you can sit cross-legged, with one foot in and one foot out, kneeling or in lotus (legs on thighs- painful if you're stiff!) In a chair, sit near the edge so your genitals are off the chair. Make sure your feet are firm on the ground The important thing in either case is to sit upright. Keep your back straight. Don't lean. Neck straight- no looking up/ down with head or tipping it to one side. Shoulders down-no shrugging. Put your hands in your lap. Put the front of your tongue behind the gums above your two front teeth- this completes a chi circuit and is very important. Now take a few breaths to settle in and calm down. You're going to focus on your breathing. Inhale noticing the abdomen expand. Exhale, notice it return to normal size. One way to help you focus is to mentally say "In" on inhale and "OUT" on exhale. Sit as long as you like. Move if your position gets uncomfortable but do it slowly so you dont break your focus. At the end, take a few minutes to massage your legs and feet before standing up again.

TIPS
1. The pupose of sitting meditation is to enjoy. Don't try to attain anything!
2. Find a special place to meditate every day. Somewhere quiet. Make it feel special. Maybe put a painting in a corner and meditate by it.
3. Shower or wash your facce and hands to prepare before meditating. No shoes- wear lose clothing.
4. Slow and steady wins the race- 5minutes a day is a good start.
5. Use soft music to relax.
6. Realize you are your teacher. Have faith in yourself.

I am by no means a meditation master. Google meditation if this advice is confusing to you.

Ultimate Fist
01-05-2007, 09:10 PM
I edited the first post to make this easier for beginners.

Ultimate Fist
01-05-2007, 09:20 PM
WALKING MEDITATION

Walk slowly in a relaxed way with your head upright and a slight smile on your lips. Simply keep in touch with both your breathing and your steps. If you are practicing indoors, take one step when you breathe in, one when you step out. If you are practicing outdoors, notice how many steps you take as you breathe in (count them as you take them) and how many when you breathe out. If you see something beautiful while walking, stop and look at it but continue to be aware of your breath.

Ultimate Fist
01-05-2007, 09:22 PM
FURTHER INFO

RELIGIOUS TEXTS

Dhamapada-Buddhists text

http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/dhamma/dham-hp.htm

Ultimate Fist
01-05-2007, 09:25 PM
TO JOIN ON

GIVE INFO

*User Name (duh)
*Past meditation/kung fu/ yoga experience
*Religious text (so I can help you find an online study tool to help you or give you a recommended book/chapter/etc)

PEACE!

sakechamp
01-07-2007, 02:17 PM
thats peace thanks for the info.

maestro wooz
01-07-2007, 03:40 PM
thats cool man, i couldnt do this right now but good luck and have fun with this

ujesus
01-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Ujeuss
*I meditate about 2-3 times a week or more and the same with qi-gong
*The Bible

Prince Rai
01-08-2007, 01:00 PM
thnaks verry much for this!!!!

the silencer
01-08-2007, 02:08 PM
this is a dope idea...thanks for all the info...

i've wanted to do this kinda thing too but now i got school and shit coming up...

stayshigh
01-08-2007, 02:10 PM
You guys might find this helpfull as well: www.usashoalintemple.com (http://www.usashoalintemple.com)

If you scroll down you will see Sifu Shi Yan Ming's book.

http://usashaolintemple.org/images/stories/books/shaolinworkout/b1-cover.jpghttp://usashaolintemple.org/images/stories/books/shaolinworkout/swbook-6.jpghttp://usashaolintemple.org/images/stories/books/shaolinworkout/b1-back.jpgWhich you can have sent to you for free on a 21 day trial basis.(they don't even ask for credit card info,just name address and email.

Enjoy

T-Mac
01-08-2007, 07:03 PM
I'd like to join

T-Mac
No past experience
I don't believe in God, but I'll read anything.

Ultimate Fist
01-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Sweet dogg. The Dhamapada I linked above is a perfect book for your purposes. Just do the steps and remember to tell me what's up once a week.

the silencer
01-09-2007, 03:18 PM
You guys might find this helpfull as well: www.usashoalintemple.com (http://www.usashoalintemple.com)

If you scroll down you will see Sifu Shi Yan Ming's book.

http://usashaolintemple.org/images/stories/books/shaolinworkout/b1-cover.jpghttp://usashaolintemple.org/images/stories/books/shaolinworkout/swbook-6.jpghttp://usashaolintemple.org/images/stories/books/shaolinworkout/b1-back.jpgWhich you can have sent to you for free on a 21 day trial basis.(they don't even ask for credit card info,just name address and email.

Enjoy
that websites kinda fucked up....i dont think thats the real one..

but i know where this shit is..ive passed it a couple times in manhattan, its on broadway....u can see like huge swords and axes and shit in the window upstairs

stayshigh
01-09-2007, 11:44 PM
that websites kinda fucked up....i dont think thats the real one..

but i know where this shit is..ive passed it a couple times in manhattan, its on broadway....u can see like huge swords and axes and shit in the window upstairs

As fucked up as that site may seem, it is "the real one". Sifu Shi Yan Ming is the first and only shoalin monk to teach outside of China. He is close friends with Rza(if look at the pic of him standing in that robe you can see that Rza wrote the paragraph right below) and celebrities such as Jet li, jackie Chan and Michelle Yeoh. He is also highly respected within the martial arts world: Kung Fu Magazine regards him as a national treasure. So in terms of Shoalin Kung Fu unless you live in Henan province (the location of the Shoalin Temple in China) you will not find a more authentic Shoalin Sifu/Temple/Workout.

stayshigh
01-09-2007, 11:46 PM
" Sifu Shi Yan Ming is a true living master. His teachings of Shoalin martial arts and Chan Buddhism have inspired me for over a decade. Sifu's lessons trancend the physical and will help readers live a fuller, happier life, and I am delighted that he has distilled the thousands of years of information and Shoalin tradition into a readable program that gives the public from novice to expert the chance to delve into this wealth of knowledge."
-The Rza, Wu-Tang Clan.

*from the back cover of the book.

knewcheeze
01-12-2007, 03:14 PM
PEACE
i like the way you think Ultimate Fist

eye been feeling the same way cuz theres so many savages out here that need to get they ass whipped.....a revolutionary must protect the people from the police and the neighboorhood bullies......

the silencer
01-12-2007, 04:14 PM
that Rza plug has me sold...im coppin this book