PDA

View Full Version : Words From The Genius

Drunken_Dragon_Fist
01-07-2007, 07:37 PM
After being a big GZA fan for years, I finally spotted a copy of Words From The Genius at my local record store.Upon purchasing this cd, I put it in my cd player only to find THIS IS THE CORNIEST PIECE OF SHIT EVER! WHAT THE FUCK?! Don't get me wrong, because I know a bunch of assholes are gonna say, it's old school, he had to make that cd, you just don't get it....bla bla bla. Bottom line is that cd is so shitty I actually laughed at GZA for letting this cheesefest resurface as a re-release. If only now i could turn back time, and get my $35 back.Yes, i wasted $35 on a bargain bin cd.So FUCK YOU GZA, i want my money back.

Just my 2 cents ( i mean hey, whats 2 cents when im fucking $35 short already)

peace

crass
01-07-2007, 07:50 PM
it's a good CD.

noel411
01-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Haha, yeah, it's not exactly what you'd expect from the Gza. I found this thread pretty funny, even though I don't mind the cd. Some of it is pretty fucken silly, like 'What Are Silly Girls Made Of?' and 'Stay Out of Bars', but as a whole it's a pretty cool cd. I'm certainly not gonna go and say it's a great release, but I enjoy it enough.

MAYOR QUIMBY
01-09-2007, 03:32 PM
You got ripped off. BIG time. Was it autographed by the Genius at least? Or did it come with a side of fries and a hooker for that price?

hectis
01-09-2007, 06:17 PM
After being a big GZA fan for years, I finally spotted a copy of Words From The Genius at my local record store.Upon purchasing this cd, I put it in my cd player only to find THIS IS THE CORNIEST PIECE OF SHIT EVER! WHAT THE FUCK?! Don't get me wrong, because I know a bunch of assholes are gonna say, it's old school, he had to make that cd, you just don't get it....bla bla bla. Bottom line is that cd is so shitty I actually laughed at GZA for letting this cheesefest resurface as a re-release. If only now i could turn back time, and get my $35 back.Yes, i wasted $35 on a bargain bin cd.So FUCK YOU GZA, i want my money back.

Just my 2 cents ( i mean hey, whats 2 cents when im fucking $35 short already)

peace

35$ for a cd? yo new ones dont even go for 20 and this is an old one u got riped off big time

Gawd
01-09-2007, 06:23 PM
dood gawt ass raped.

hectis
01-09-2007, 06:32 PM
u do know that bargain bin means cheaper right?

Gawd
01-09-2007, 06:37 PM
lawls.....35 dolla bargin bin....dood must be in belarus or some shit.

GENERAL WISE
01-09-2007, 08:04 PM
I heard that in Saudi Arabia, Words From the Genius is 8x plat.

Prolifical ENG
01-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Some of it is good, I guess I can't use the old school excuse with you.

But Cold Chillin records didn't care about GZA...who knows how that album got put together....no one is suprised that the album flopped. Just listen to GZA's verse on Protect Ya Neck again.

*plays the "Come Do Me" video*

hahaha that video is great...and the song.

deadlymelody
01-09-2007, 10:49 PM
GZA is pretty nice on some of it. It's got the classic "Pass the Bone."

venex
01-10-2007, 06:24 AM
GZA is pretty nice on some of it. It's got the classic "Pass the Bone."

yeah, pass the bone is classic!!

did you buy the original 91' version or '94 or that new one (if it's out already) ????

because if you bought the original '91, that cd is worth around $80, if i'm not mistaken...

peace!

pneumatic
01-10-2007, 07:55 AM
I have the original from 91. Not one scuff on the disk.

venex
01-10-2007, 11:26 AM
^^same here :)

Prolifical ENG
01-10-2007, 01:34 PM
never thought that album would still be around $80, I thought the value for the O.G. press would drop significantly after the reissue last year.

venex
01-10-2007, 01:47 PM
^^well i actually based my answer, on what you said before (you already said that a few times)... LOL

but you are prolly right too, that the value of the original copie dropped, because of the re-released version... :)

peace!

Prolifical ENG
01-10-2007, 01:53 PM
actually as I think of it....yes I have said that a few times.....lol

maybe one day I will actually watch a few of those ebay auctions and see what they go for.

THE W
01-10-2007, 05:23 PM
its a good Cd for the time period. you cant go into that CD expecting it to be on some liquid swords ish. if you do you're destined for utter dissapointment.

Gza got tooled by cold chillin with that album.

"G" (the Promoter)
03-02-2007, 12:36 PM
OK, let me rant now……………..

First off,
GZA hasn’t seen a dime from the re-release, nor is he involved in anyway in its re-release!
He didn’t even know it was being re-released until I asked him about it months ago while we were discussing merchandising and the fact that bootlegs of his “LIVE” CD were being sold on the web.
Due to his original contract with his then manager , he never saw much money from that whole "Words…" deal with Cold Chillin, hence the line in “Labels” referring to “money getting stuck to the gum under the table”

Second,
I guess you weren’t either alive at the time, or were too young, or you were listening to rock music at the time to know that HIP HOP was a different world in the “Pre Wu” days. Almost every artist that dropped in those days had to put some sort of love song and club song on their album to make the labels happy. GZA’s album fit in the time, and if you listen to his flows, you will see that from that album, his style and flow evolved. He was still one of the nicest MC’s in a battle back then ,and I saw him rip a few ciphers before I knew him. Pass the Bone laid the ground work of much that later followed. Tommy Boy put out RZA’s “Oh We Love You Rakeem” , but yet the b-sides were the underground songs Sexcapades and Deadly Venoms. The little money GZA and RZA earned from these deals laid the ground work for what was to become Wu-Tang. More than the money, it was the lessons about how shady the Industry is, that led them to become smarter about how to deal with it.
SO…………………YOU MIGHT SAY, IF IT WASN’T FOR THAT ALBUM, THERE MAY HAVE NEVER BEEN A WU-TANG CLAN SINCE IT WAS THOSE LESSONS LEARNED THAT LED THEM TO RELEASE PROTECT YA NECK ON THEIR OWN, AND TO HOLD OUT FOR A LABEL DEAL OF THEIR CHOSING !

See, I was there before all of the fans later jumped on board, in the days when I tried helping in shopping Wu and getting the word out when they released PTYN. The days when A&R’s would say, “the production is too dirty”, “there are too many members…it’ll never work”, they’re too grimy”, they aren’t commercialy feasible”. Wu changed the industry (and the sound of HIP HOPat the time ) from those same lessons when they held out to ink a deal with LOUD Records on their own terms.

So, let me end with saying FUCK YOU for saying that b/s to GZA since he probably didn’t see one cent of your “Two cents” out of the $35 you spent like an idiot !
What the fuck did you think you were spending $35 on ?? The lost Wu “Dead Sea Scrolls” that no one ever heard before ?? You should have researched it first instead of blindly rushing and buying it just to have it
( I won’t even go into the fact that this is the same bitching many do about almost every release of a Wu member or fam member since 36 Chambers )

You are the one to blame…..it’s Wu fanatics that have driven up the price of the albums since you were dumb enough to pay that much for a cd in a “bargain bin”. From 92-98, I was able to find dozens of copies of the album from anywhere from $2- $10 at almost any record store.
In closing……………
Blame you own ignorance…and go FUCK YOURSELF ,cause whether you like it or not….it was a corner stone of the Wu story.

crass
03-02-2007, 12:43 PM
lot of overreaction in this thread. it's a damn good CD either way. my second favorite GZA record (tied with grandmasters)

Prolifical ENG
03-02-2007, 01:22 PM
HIP HOP was a different world in the “Pre Wu” days. Almost every artist that dropped in those days had to put some sort of love song and club song on their album to make the labels happy.

Many years later nothing has changed. Sure there are indie labels were the artists can take a lot more charge of whats on the album

The little money GZA and RZA earned from these deals laid the ground work for what was to become Wu-Tang. More than the money, it was the lessons about how shady the Industry is, that led them to become smarter about how to deal with it.

thats a good way to put it. It also shows why they got deals like they did while others say it was a stupid move RZA did.

So, let me end with saying FUCK YOU for saying that b/s to GZA since he probably didn’t see one cent of your “Two cents” out of the $35 you spent like an idiot !
What the fuck did you think you were spending $35 on ?? The lost Wu “Dead Sea Scrolls” that no one ever heard before ?? You should have researched it first instead of blindly rushing and buying it just to have it
( I won’t even go into the fact that this is the same bitching many do about almost every release of a Wu member or fam member since 36 Chambers )

You are the one to blame…..it’s Wu fanatics that have driven up the price of the albums since you were dumb enough to pay that much for a cd in a “bargain bin”. From 92-98, I was able to find dozens of copies of the album from anywhere from $2- $10 at almost any record store.
In closing……………
Blame you own ignorance…and go FUCK YOURSELF ,cause whether you like it or not….it was a corner stone of the Wu story.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with people collecting albums...its one of the major things people collect and prices go up. Its like the people that bought the first superman comic decades ago and the people that threw them away and the people willing to pay load of money for one in mint condition.

Through the 90s Ive seen all those used records that are now OOP in stores too....even today I still see the same ones that people will pay $35 on ebay when Ive seen them at the bargin bin for $5. Sometimes finding it like that is the fun part of collecting.

But it is true for those bootleg albums that no one has ever heard before gets kinda stupid. But their goal is to collect ANYTHING wu-tang :p Just like Ive seen older people collect any Elvis merchandise, or that person that seen me wearing a rare Coca-Cola hockey jersey that I got for free when I played hockey somewhere when I was a kid and offered me $400 for it.

Let collectors be collectors....Wu tang has gotten quite a few more fans since their "preliminary" stuff went out of print.

the silencer
03-02-2007, 02:21 PM
wow.....i read G's post first before reading anything else in this thread..

and then i see the first post the dude made in here and i can see why G was flippin out..

thats why this is the Bring Da Ruckus section i guess

MX1
03-02-2007, 04:46 PM
the album was ight wit me but theres sum tracks thats like wut the fuck kno im sayin, definately not par wit other genius shit

DJMethods
03-03-2007, 09:20 AM
Every CD I buy is ATLEAST $25+, even if it's 10 years old. You cats get it so much cheaper in the US

DJMethods
03-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Let collectors be collectors....Wu tang has gotten quite a few more fans since their "preliminary" stuff went out of print.

you man, thats a dope DP.. dope CD! Been an 7LES fan for aaaaaages, but dont feel their new shit. That LP is dope as fuck, some mad battle tracks on there.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
03-03-2007, 03:56 PM
i like the album...my fav track is Drama

Ink Is My Drink
03-03-2007, 04:04 PM
i paid like £8

jagged philosopher
03-05-2007, 07:53 PM
the album can b seen as corny but u gotta remember that ppls styles evolve. just look at the crazy african shit that q-tip wore in his early tribe days compared to how he looks now. same goes with das efx

rubyspirit
03-05-2007, 10:52 PM
This is classic! He's my Rhyming Hero. That Silly Girl song woke a lot of us hussies out of our deep sleep.

Can't hate on the Genius.

HarlemDiplomat
09-04-2007, 03:43 AM
$35.00 ??????

Why?

37thParallel
09-05-2007, 03:40 AM
Pass The Bone!
Classic.
That guy is a fucking tool....I guess he must've been mad young to not see where the artform was at that time. *shakes head*
37th

Maxxx Millisecondz
09-06-2007, 10:43 PM
i found a rereleased copy for $12.99. wasn't the best CD in the world, but it wasn't complete trash. i liked some joints off it. Pass the Bone is a banger. i paid $30 for the import of Future Development by Del. but it was brand fuckin' new. $35 on a USED CD? who does that? there's a reason it's called a bargain bin. you should have bargained for a lower price. :D

37thParallel
09-07-2007, 01:01 AM
roffles.