PDA

View Full Version : would you trade?

Gawd
01-13-2007, 04:30 PM
lets for a second imagine b4 ww1. The united states of america is in isolation. world affairs mean little and the only thing we are concerned about is ourselves and our problems etc. lets say ww1 happens and we stay out of it......ww2 comes along and we stay out of it and the only Nations left in Europe are the UK and Spain. Germany and Russia control the rest and are in a heated war of european supremacy with the US on the sideline.....pearl harbor doesnt happen and the japnese continue to slaughter the chinese and koreans and dominate SE asia.......

the world goes on and the US remains in isololation.

flash foward to today and the world would look a bit different. how do you think it would be...what nations would exist and which ones would not?

the price of everything in the US is more than double what it is now and life isnt all that. as isolationist we would not have sway and a big wallet so to speak to spread our influence. there would be other nations that do. how do you think the world would look if the USA stayed where it was b4 ww1. we left everyone alone and watched as other powerful nations spread their influence and money.

would you trade the good life, would you trade the money you make today, would you trade the lifestyle you live and what you know and have for the USA to of have remained an isolationist nation?

LHX
01-13-2007, 04:41 PM
interesting situation eD

i got into a discussion before about 'what the world would be like if the nazis won wwII', and it seems evident that regardless of who won what war or what shook down, technology would have progressed to be similar to how it is now

this is significant:
what it suggests is that regardless of what we experience - regardless of the actual event, at the end of the day, what we are really going thru is some sort of unstoppable technological development

my hunch is that regardless of what borders look like, we would have eventually ended up in a world with global communications (or internet) just like what we have now, and a different form of LHX and eD would be discussing hypothetical historical situations

as far as geography goes, the world would prolly look pretty similar to the way it looks now as far as borders etc go

if the US decided not to be the US, then somebody else wouldve stepped up and taken the role

Gawd
01-13-2007, 04:43 PM
technology wise i understand.....
but in the US without or influence and gigantic wallet we would be paying more for goods, gas, and other services.

LHX
01-13-2007, 04:46 PM
yeah it would be a different situation in the US

smaller population
less immigration
possibly a healthier lifestyle
prolly a more 'european' place
prolly closer ties to mexico and canada
the average american would prolly travel more

Gawd
01-13-2007, 04:57 PM
yeah i agree......i also think we wouldnt be living the 'fast life' so to speak.....i wonder if our films and music would be such a success around the world like it is now.

the silencer
01-13-2007, 05:02 PM
there's a cool novel about this....my friend told me about it and i've been meaning to read it but haven't had the chance to get it yet..

its very imaginative and interesting...it's a little diff than what u guys are saying because it assumes the US was in WW 2 but surrendered to Nazi Germany and Japan...

LHX i think u'd be diggin it cuz the I-Ching features heavily in this book....the book spreads all over the world from the influence of Japan and everybody uses it..

heres alot more info about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_High_Castle

LHX
01-13-2007, 05:05 PM
(EDIT - response to eD)

good point

i would have to say no

its quite possible that the entire power structure in the US would be different by this time

especially when you consider all the internal things that occured in the US over the past 100 years

perhaps a more multicultural political structure
possibly less poverty
possibly less emphasis and population living in the city

actually - its really possible that there would be a lot more interaction between north america and central/south america

the lifestyles would be a lot more similar than what they are now

how long does it take to drive from texas to rio de janeiro?

if there was less oppression in america, there would not have been as much good music

the silencer
01-13-2007, 06:36 PM
if there was less oppression in america, there would not have been as much good music

GREAT point

hectis
01-13-2007, 09:09 PM
lets for a second imagine b4 ww1. The united states of america is in isolation. world affairs mean little and the only thing we are concerned about is ourselves and our problems etc. lets say ww1 happens and we stay out of it......ww2 comes along and we stay out of it and the only Nations left in Europe are the UK and Spain. Germany and Russia control the rest and are in a heated war of european supremacy with the US on the sideline.....pearl harbor doesnt happen and the japnese continue to slaughter the chinese and koreans and dominate SE asia.......

the world goes on and the US remains in isololation.

flash foward to today and the world would look a bit different. how do you think it would be...what nations would exist and which ones would not?

the price of everything in the US is more than double what it is now and life isnt all that. as isolationist we would not have sway and a big wallet so to speak to spread our influence. there would be other nations that do. how do you think the world would look if the USA stayed where it was b4 ww1. we left everyone alone and watched as other powerful nations spread their influence and money.

would you trade the good life, would you trade the money you make today, would you trade the lifestyle you live and what you know and have for the USA to of have remained an isolationist nation?

no i would not cuz everything happens for a reason so it wuz not ment for the us to stay in isolation

TAURO
01-13-2007, 09:15 PM
(EDIT - response to eD)

good point

i would have to say no

its quite possible that the entire power structure in the US would be different by this time

especially when you consider all the internal things that occured in the US over the past 100 years

perhaps a more multicultural political structure
possibly less poverty
possibly less emphasis and population living in the city

actually - its really possible that there would be a lot more interaction between north america and central/south america

the lifestyles would be a lot more similar than what they are now

how long does it take to drive from texas to rio de janeiro?

South America would have still been an unstable continent with big political problems because they were self sustained with no outside influence bar the united states.

LHX
01-13-2007, 09:18 PM
true - but perhaps the US would be a bit more 'unstable' too --

TAURO
01-13-2007, 09:22 PM
true - but perhaps the US would be a bit more 'unstable' too --

Perhaps...

born invincible
01-13-2007, 09:23 PM
wu tang clan would still be nothing to fuck wit...

whitey
01-13-2007, 10:26 PM
that is some shit. i think if the situation you suggested had occured it would have been invitable before germany or russia tryed in some way to attack the united states. even though we werent fucking with them there is always a possiblity that we could have, so i think they would have done something about that. try to get in with mexico (as germany actually tried to during wwII). but reguardless if we didnt jump in, germany and russia were gonna battle to the death. communists and facsist arent the best of friends.

i really dont think this country is even close to being as rich. we would have a lot of problems. the main reason we are so powerful is because we put our hand in everyone elses business.

i think the middle east is totally different as well. there would obvi have been no israel and that would leave the jews in an interesting prediciment (if there was any left).