PDA

View Full Version : Subliminal Messages - what are they? do they work?

LHX
02-03-2007, 09:02 PM
What is a subliminal message?

a message delivered 'below consciousness'

what that means is that you are paying attention to something, but there is also other messages being beamed at you (that you are not paying attention to)

this happens all the time

People find the implications of subliminal messages fascinating -

what effect do subliminal messages have?

what effect can they have?

There is messages beamed at you all the time.

To intentionally broadcast a subliminal message would suggest a desire to keep the message below a person's consciousness, but have the message delivered nonetheless

it suggests that the message will somehow get into a persons head, and eventually factor into their decision-making process at some point (without them ever having realized that they received the message)

no doubt this topic can be looked at from a few angles, but what are the initial thoughts that come to mind when you consider subliminal messages?

my hunches are as follows:

subliminal messages would require repetition to be effective --> but from this angle, i dont see how they would differ from regular messages that often need to be repeated in order to make an impact

the presence of something in your line of sight forces you to consider it (the reverse of 'out of sight, out of mind')

if you continually make a connection between 2 things, then the connection will remain in peoples heads for a while (instead of flashing random messages)

questions:
is the general practice of schooling children and teaching by repetition a form of sending subliminal messages?
repetition repetition repetition

drop some perspectives on this if you have a chance

LHX
02-03-2007, 09:03 PM
link to a in-depth lab study if anybody has time for some reading:

http://www.csic.cornell.edu/201/subliminal/

INF
02-03-2007, 10:05 PM
SM is in everything. Advertising , Radio. Most media has shit in it that you are unaware of. I used to be in this band spine theives and we would have tons of shit playing under the music that you never knew.

LHX
02-03-2007, 10:10 PM
so what is the extent of subliminal advertising?

does it only make a difference in a capitalist world?

or is it just another form of artistic expression?

INF
02-03-2007, 10:19 PM
It makes a big difference outside of artistic value. That spine theives shit I was tellin you about started off artistic and then it turned into programing our listeners. We had an agenda. Why be artistic with shit that ppl dont no they are hearing.

When you use SM , its to get something done. Sell , Control , etc.

LHX
02-03-2007, 10:34 PM
so in your assessment - subliminal messages work by putting elements in peoples environments, but in a way that they dont directly notice it?

and also by using repetition?

from what i been reading, isolated instances of subliminal messaging accomplishes almost nothing

it needs to be a co-ordinated and strategic approach

also:
how aware should people be of subliminal messaging?
how can you notice it?

INF
02-03-2007, 10:40 PM
so in your assessment - subliminal messages work by putting elements in peoples environments, but in a way that they dont directly notice it?

and also by using repetition?

from what i been reading, isolated instances of subliminal messaging accomplishes almost nothing

it needs to be a co-ordinated and strategic approach

also:
how aware should people be of subliminal messaging?
how can you notice it?

Wow... you tryin to call a bluff or just have some convo?

LHX
02-03-2007, 11:15 PM
just researching homie

i never really looked into subliminal messaging specifically

just trying to break it down to the basic components

INF
02-04-2007, 12:02 AM
oh alright then. You really get down when you research huh? you got a certain method that you use regularly when you research something?

tekunique
02-04-2007, 03:34 AM
What is a subliminal message?

a message delivered 'below consciousness'

what that means is that you are paying attention to something, but there is also other messages being beamed at you (that you are not paying attention to)

this happens all the time

People find the implications of subliminal messages fascinating -

what effect do subliminal messages have?

what effect can they have?

There is messages beamed at you all the time.

To intentionally broadcast a subliminal message would suggest a desire to keep the message below a person's consciousness, but have the message delivered nonetheless

it suggests that the message will somehow get into a persons head, and eventually factor into their decision-making process at some point (without them ever having realized that they received the message)

no doubt this topic can be looked at from a few angles, but what are the initial thoughts that come to mind when you consider subliminal messages?

my hunches are as follows:

subliminal messages would require repetition to be effective --> but from this angle, i dont see how they would differ from regular messages that often need to be repeated in order to make an impact

the presence of something in your line of sight forces you to consider it (the reverse of 'out of sight, out of mind')

if you continually make a connection between 2 things, then the connection will remain in peoples heads for a while (instead of flashing random messages)

questions:
is the general practice of schooling children and teaching by repetition a form of sending subliminal messages?
repetition repetition repetition

drop some perspectives on this if you have a chance
when i was taking psychology during the brief times when i was in college, we learned about one of the first subliminal advertising used by coca cola or one of those big corp. they basically flashed their logo on one of those LCD displays in the mall very quickly ______ amount of times per hour.....

conclusion was i think unsuccessful....

my shit about it is that subliminal or not, repetition is the key......

basically, every commercial you see, whether you buy it or not, you remember them due to repetition. its unavoidable and by that, it gets implanted in your mind SUBCONSCIOULY.

it is around us all the time.... its also depended on ones definition and perception of subliminalism as wel... what this cat thinks its subliminal can be mad obvious to the surface for another...

Frontal Lobotomy
02-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Isn't it odd how repetition that you're unaware of can still be internalised in the brain, again without you noticing how it got there.
I'm not sure to what extent they use it in modern advertising and media, as I don't watch TV or listen to the radio. But I figure some of these pop-ups I get while online, that have things like flashing signs and animated text and the like, would it be possible to get something going subliminally with those?

LHX
02-04-2007, 09:02 AM
oh alright then. You really get down when you research huh? you got a certain method that you use regularly when you research something?

yeah - i take a few approaches

usually i first put whatever i am researching into a context

i have a map or matrix that i work off of, so when i come across something, i try and determine where it fits into the larger context

that allows me to determine the limitations of what im looking at

it also helps me get a visual understanding of whatever it is im researching

then its pretty much a process of deconstruction

reverse-engineering

dismantling something to its basic components and then re-constructing it

these days, having access to so many intelligent minds and perspectives on the internet, forums are usually my first stop when i am learning something new

and the feedback i get generally determines what i look for in other sources

stuff like this:
When you use SM , its to get something done. Sell , Control , etc.

is significant - thats why i usually hit forums first when i research something

LHX
02-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Isn't it odd how repetition that you're unaware of can still be internalised in the brain, again without you noticing how it got there.
I'm not sure to what extent they use it in modern advertising and media, as I don't watch TV or listen to the radio. But I figure some of these pop-ups I get while online, that have things like flashing signs and animated text and the like, would it be possible to get something going subliminally with those?
i think its possible

but maybe not too effective as people dont really look at those pop-ups for long

on this forum - the best opportunity somebody would have for subliminal messaging is those little ads at the top

they use the same text and color as the rest of the forum, and they are repetitive

anybody who is a regular visitor to this forum MUST have 'Wu Long Slimming Tea' imprinted somewhere on their head by now

(and if you are ever in a situation where somebody says 'are there any teas that can make me lose weight?' --> i wonder what is gonna come to mind?)

Visionz
02-04-2007, 12:20 PM
would you say that subliminal messages are the same as conditioning? In one of my classes right now there's a lady that can't find a good babysitter so she's gotta take here kid to class. He was eating fastfood from somewhere (he's probably about 4 or 5) that had a car-shaped box the meal came in. I told him,"just so you know, food doesn't equal toys" He reacted in a manner like I was nuts. Its not neccessarily subliminal (depending on your definition I guess) but advertisers are working to build connections to shit unrelated to their actual product all the time. That's statement true from damn near ever commercial you'll see on TV nowadays.

LHX
02-04-2007, 01:01 PM
would you say that subliminal messages are the same as conditioning? In one of my classes right now there's a lady that can't find a good babysitter so she's gotta take here kid to class. He was eating fastfood from somewhere (he's probably about 4 or 5) that had a car-shaped box the meal came in. I told him,"just so you know, food doesn't equal toys" He reacted in a manner like I was nuts. Its not neccessarily subliminal (depending on your definition I guess) but advertisers are working to build connections to shit unrelated to their actual product all the time. That's statement true from damn near ever commercial you'll see on TV nowadays.

the emphasized part is key

making connections is a act that can be done subliminally

man
the more i think about this, the more i am starting to see examples of this everywhere

i was gonna type more but im trippin right now

brb

the silencer
02-04-2007, 02:16 PM

the emphasized part is key

making connections is a act that can be done subliminally

man
the more i think about this, the more i am starting to see examples of this everywhere

i was gonna type more but im trippin right now

brb

re: the highlighted part..

absolutely guys...

a simple example is during the Yankees games they'll show a commercial all the time (like during every commercial break...repitition) that starts off with them showing Derek Jeter making plays and hitting homeruns n stuff n they talk about how good he is and then all of the sudden its a Ford truck commercial....Jeter literally has NOTHING to do with the product whatsoever....they dont even make an attempt to associate him with the truck..

the cute chick on the Mercury commercials now is another good example.....shes hot as hell, but i think her hotness is subtle enough that ppl don't realize whats being done to them....(hot girl = mercury trucks)

theres a great film out there about this kinda stuff called Century of the Self....alot about Freud and his nephew Edward Bernays (who invented the modern concept of "marketing") in the film....check google video

but i think a very important strategy of SM (other than repetition) is to apply to mans deepest "animal" instincts such as sex, hunger, lust for power, etc...

ALLAHNDRZUWUNIGA
02-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I used to and still do detect subliminal messages in the media, but now adayz, i hate the radio, and the tv so much, and all media basically that i cant speak about the commonality of subliminal messages, but two that I can blatently describe are the following,

a comercial for a new movie, EPIC MOVIE starts out with a list of various movies and then swirls the words togeather so that it forms like a lifesavers
cream saver effect, like the printing of the song tittles on the tical 1 c.d.,

then after the next comercial for a compleatly unrelated product, chips ahoy,

you seee chocolate swirl in the oppisite direction then the words of the movie comercial,

that was so obvious that obviously the t.v. is catering to allow some people to understand the nature of its power, while digitaly subliminizing others.

this was the second time that i pasivly watched tell lies to your vision in like a month:

A commercial for that shit that clears your mucus, mucasin x, then,

That results in the buy blowwing out of the inside of the cartoon depicted nose,

and you see a healthy boy.

Then its a comercial for the fucking glad products, obviously owned by
Phil Moris, and the conglomerate, and just so happens to be craft cheesy shit in the pacage, nect comercial,

Craft Cheezey Macaronie,

SO the conections follow, first advertize for a fake medicine for a unneccecery disease, namely congestion,

Next distract the audience, with something that shall appiese the pain you just caused them with the coller blue, because its calming remember the birth of the prince c.d. that c.d. was incredible. I recall seeing the coller of the cheese macaronni in the Glad plastic case comercial.

in this case i remember seeing the sky in either the second or third comercial or perhapst the first, with clowds, so as to apiese the thought of the mucasin L bug comming out of the nose leading your mind to see the reliease and feel the sensation of air and freedom,

then, and this is the part that prove that theres a conspiricy going on,

then you do a comercial for cheese macaronii, which will inevitably cause sinus congestion.

And saddly, I have to atibute this conspicizing to the people at FREE to Lay Maonry, cause in the mididdle of the two comericalls was a GLAD product, then a Kraft, like the KRAFT of MASSONRY commerical, and the first one was by the fucking drug company that makes those drugs.

DRUGS. speakiing of drugs, do yall know where i can get two. Let me get two.

ALLAHNDRZUWUNIGA
02-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Furthermore Susan,

the fact of the accessability of sublime being is close to unification with the nothingness, so its a rhelm where you have to be aware of the spiritual and other parts of one.

Point being that if there were all sorts of silent wars going on, you whould have to be real quiet to hear dem. And shit.

So like when I am in EINSTIEN mode and I can hear and feel the nukelear reactors at GUANTANIMO BAY, I am mad close to ALLAH, and but, when I awake I get swarmed by demonic spirts. So I know that whoever has access to the inner chambers of the brain, and intentions to say manipulate the conciousness, this person should have allready forfitted his said purpose, becasue the tao takes care of her self. Do you feel me?

Cause the affore mentioned subliminal advertizing tricks were really novice in nature, as if it were an aprentice marketing team that was attacking me, but the more real ones effect you into your spine and your brain. Like if I go home and just try to listent to the hums and vibrations around me, all the various chemicals arround me and technologies sound like,

YOU CANT HACK THE TACTICS of a
FULLY AUTOMATIC
RAP PHENATIC,

thats what it sounds like.

diggy
10-28-2009, 11:04 PM
http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fu.jpg

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/threatlevel/2009/10/1027fu.jpg

djskillz
10-29-2009, 12:30 AM
^Lmao.