PDA

View Full Version : El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz appreciation thread

Memory Man
02-06-2007, 12:15 PM
El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz was one of the greatest orators and cultural leaders of his day. His contributions to social progress in this country are unquestioned. Why is it, then, that almost nobody knows him by his real name? If one were to refer to Muhammed Ali as Cassius Clay today, or even Cassius X, it would be seen as anachronistic in the extreme. Here are some possible reasons why the same honor hasn't been given to the man born Malcolm Little and known almost universally as Malcom X;

- People of every race seem to prefer the "angry" Malcolm who called Kennedy's assasination "chickens coming home to roost" to the relatively egalitarian El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz who displayed a considerably humbler approach.

- The current state of iconography/celebrity worship in our country precludes more than one perspective of a given icon occupying space in our collective memory. Because Malcolm X was firmly emblazoned in our minds, we were unable to adapt to the "new Malcolm" before his untimely death and were thus stuck with our first image of him.

- The militant/peacenik dichotomy of X/King is too attractive to abandon.

- People secretly desire violent retribution against the oppressive system of corporate feudalism which is arguably a new form of slavery, not only for blacks but the entire working class. The name Malcolm X, like the image of Che Guevara's face, resonates with this feeling.

-The name El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz is difficult to say, while Malcolm X rolls off the tongue and sounds dope.

I'm guessing most of these points are at least partly true, but I've love to hear some different perspectives.

froth
02-06-2007, 01:38 PM
i have to say the second and the last point seem most accurate.

some people might have their own take on it and blame certain peeps whatever, but i think its pretty innocent. i mean, i dont think anyone is deliberatly dishonoring the man.

Black Man
02-06-2007, 01:48 PM
malcolm x was a racist

Edgar Erebus
02-06-2007, 03:39 PM
I think the main reason for not knowing him as El-Hajj Malik El-SHabazz is that this was his real name for the last few months of his life, while Malcolm X was his real name for the most of his political career.

I never understood why the hell was he shot?

malcolm x was a racist
But Malik El-Shabazz wasn't.

P.S. You sure you black?

Urban_Journalz
02-06-2007, 05:33 PM
El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz was one of the greatest orators and cultural leaders of his day. His contributions to social progress in this country are unquestioned. Why is it, then, that almost nobody knows him by his real name? If one were to refer to Muhammed Ali as Cassius Clay today, or even Cassius X, it would be seen as anachronistic in the extreme. Here are some possible reasons why the same honor hasn't been given to the man born Malcolm Little and known almost universally as Malcom X;

- People of every race seem to prefer the "angry" Malcolm who called Kennedy's assasination "chickens coming home to roost" to the relatively egalitarian El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz who displayed a considerably humbler approach.

- The current state of iconography/celebrity worship in our country precludes more than one perspective of a given icon occupying space in our collective memory. Because Malcolm X was firmly emblazoned in our minds, we were unable to adapt to the "new Malcolm" before his untimely death and were thus stuck with our first image of him.

- The militant/peacenik dichotomy of X/King is too attractive to abandon.

- People secretly desire violent retribution against the oppressive system of corporate feudalism which is arguably a new form of slavery, not only for blacks but the entire working class. The name Malcolm X, like the image of Che Guevara's face, resonates with this feeling.

-The name El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz is difficult to say, while Malcolm X rolls off the tongue and sounds dope.

I'm guessing most of these points are at least partly true, but I've love to hear some different perspectives.

I agree whole-heartedly. Froth had a good point when he said that he didn't think anybody was disrespectin' the brotha. Most don't even know the post-Mecca Brotha Shabazz. So, it's probably just repetition and lack of knowledge for most.

Black Man
02-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I think the main reason for not knowing him as El-Hajj Malik El-SHabazz is that this was his real name for the last few months of his life, while Malcolm X was his real name for the most of his political career.

But Malik El-Shabazz wasn't.

P.S. You sure you black?

if you want to know i'm a brother...check my chromosomes. chuck d

Black Man
02-06-2007, 06:16 PM
I agree whole-heartedly. Froth had a good point when he said that he didn't think anybody was disrespectin' the brotha. Most don't even know the post-Mecca Brotha Shabazz. So, it's probably just repetition and lack of knowledge for most.

the same holds true with dr. martin luther king jr. most people only know him and his "i have a dream" speech and that's it.

Rooty P
02-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Don't listen to "Black Man" post about Malcolm. "Black Man" is into the 5% Nation and we all know they want to discredit his name and legacy as much as possible after he revealed the truth about their organization.

Bless brother Malcolm, he was one of the most incredible people to walk this planet. Asalaam Alaikum, El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz.

Ultimate Fist
02-06-2007, 09:58 PM
What Malcolm say about em?

born invincible
02-06-2007, 10:01 PM
i thought black man was a white dude...

Ultimate Fist
02-06-2007, 10:03 PM
He is...

Black Man
02-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Don't listen to "Black Man" post about Malcolm. "Black Man" is into the 5% Nation and we all know they want to discredit his name and legacy as much as possible after he revealed the truth about their organization.

Bless brother Malcolm, he was one of the most incredible people to walk this planet. Asalaam Alaikum, El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz.

this is how foolish you are. i don't call him 'malcolm x' because thats not his name. his name is el hajj malik el shabazz or malik shabazz.

and he didn't discredit the nge(get your facts straight), he spoke on the nation of islam which he was a part of. malik shabazz and allah were very good friends and i know you can't find anything written or said by that man to discredit the nge.

Ultimate Fist
02-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I was always curious what they thought of each other after Father left the Nation. Did they ever correspond? What do you know?

Black Man
02-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I was always curious what they thought of each other after Father left the Nation. Did they ever correspond? What do you know?

yeah they did correspond. they use to have coffee together quite frequently at a place called a chock full of nuts in harlem. not sure if it's spelled right, but the place isn't there anymore. they had a great deal of respect and admiration for one another. i think allah admired malik a little more though. from what i understand it was malik that sparked allah to get the knowledge of self.

Ultimate Fist
02-06-2007, 10:38 PM
yeah they did correspond. they use to have coffee together quite frequently at a place called a chock full of nuts in harlem. not sure if it's spelled right, but the place isn't there anymore. they had a great deal of respect and admiration for one another. i think allah admired malik a little more though. from what i understand it was malik that sparked allah to get the knowledge of self.

That's good. Two figures with that much impact should respect each other.

Black Man
02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
That's good. Two figures with that much impact should respect each other.

men of knowledge are men of respect.

it's funny because i'm sure that if you matched up various people from this site and they talked face to face, alot of the confusion or misunderstanding and disagreements wouldn't take place. the internet is not the best vehicle to express different things.

another thing that would be cut out is the slick talk. nobody can be held accountable for what they say here. all the nigga talk wouldn't go down. all the blatent disrespect and name calling wouldn't go down. here, you can say what you want and get away with it.

Ultimate Fist
02-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Word. The internet is a place where people feel like they can do anything.

Black Man
02-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Word. The internet is a place where people feel like they can do anything.

agreed. in real life, alot of these people would get knocked the kcuf out!

Black Man
02-06-2007, 11:08 PM
this is what i'm going to do for you ultimate fist. i extend my hand out to you in peace. i already know we're not going to agree on everything, however, we can have dialogue to better understand one another and learn from each other. i'll give you my word, it will not be my intent to disrespect you in anyway when we do speak whether we agree or disagree about a subject. something righteous will come about.

Ultimate Fist
02-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Peace. And know if I ever bad mouth you again, that's just because I've got a temper and it's nothing personal. I'll try not to though. We're just passionate people who want to change the world. It's normal for us to clash heads.

Black Man
02-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Peace. And know if I ever bad mouth you again, that's just because I've got a temper and it's nothing personal. I'll try not to though. We're just passionate people who want to change the world. It's normal for us to clash heads.

true indeed. that passion is a good thing. it shows you have an understanding of the times that are at hand. and i won't take it personal nor have i ever. i just think it causes confusion and a breakdown is real dialogue. it's hard to take a person serious when that happens. peace.

Ultimate Fist
02-06-2007, 11:19 PM
peace

theafghan
02-07-2007, 12:10 AM
[QUOTE=Slim Tee;731733]

QUOTE]

he found out elijah muhammad was having affairs and fathering other children. he learned about the currupt leadership of the nation of islam and so he went public about it. he left the nation to start his own organization. the nation of islam firebombed his home, eventually they shot and killed him.

here is a video of malcolm explainin the situation, trust me there is sound you just need to wait for him to start speaking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYPpPNDxun0

here's a good video of him,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf70jS98AUc

what made malcolm so different was his complete honesty, both about the society and himself (read his autobiography).

he expressed exactly what he analyzed without tiptoeing around his words. his victory was in having black people take an honest and brutal look at their situation. he changed the mindset.

READ THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MALCOLM X BUT BEFORE YOU READ THIS YOU NEED TO READ THE SOULS OF BLACK FOLK BY W.E.B. DUBOIS!!!!

its not only african-american study. it's oppressor-oppressed study, the lessons in these books can be applied to anyone of any race, color, creed, and the lessons in these books should be learned by both the oppressed and the oppressor.

p.s. i tried embedding the videos but it wouldnt, so check the links

Urban_Journalz
02-07-2007, 01:58 AM

Ameen.

Urban_Journalz
02-07-2007, 01:59 AM
Much respect to "Black Man" and "Ultimate Fist" for the example y'all set for people with good sense. And for givin' me another positive example to follow.

Peace

Black Man
02-07-2007, 09:48 AM
[quote=Slim Tee;731733]

QUOTE]

he found out elijah muhammad was having affairs and fathering other children. he learned about the currupt leadership of the nation of islam and so he went public about it. he left the nation to start his own organization. the nation of islam firebombed his home, eventually they shot and killed him.

here is a video of malcolm explainin the situation, trust me there is sound you just need to wait for him to start speaking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYPpPNDxun0

here's a good video of him,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf70jS98AUc

what made malcolm so different was his complete honesty, both about the society and himself (read his autobiography).

he expressed exactly what he analyzed without tiptoeing around his words. his victory was in having black people take an honest and brutal look at their situation. he changed the mindset.

READ THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF MALCOLM X BUT BEFORE YOU READ THIS YOU NEED TO READ THE SOULS OF BLACK FOLK BY W.E.B. DUBOIS!!!!

its not only african-american study. it's oppressor-oppressed study, the lessons in these books can be applied to anyone of any race, color, creed, and the lessons in these books should be learned by both the oppressed and the oppressor.

p.s. i tried embedding the videos but it wouldnt, so check the links

Malcom took back his accusations about elijah muhammad being the cause of his house being bombed and him fathering children outside of his marriage. It's documented but not in his autobiography.

Memory Man
02-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Malcom took back his accusations about elijah muhammad being the cause of his house being bombed and him fathering children outside of his marriage. It's documented but not in his autobiography.

I don't know too much about this. Did Malcolm still blame NOI members for the bombing but exonerate Elijah Muhammed? Were the threatening mentions in NOI literature the result of a split in the Nation over Malcolm?

Rooty P
02-08-2007, 07:52 PM
"Black Man," you just said you don't call him Malcolm, and now you are referring to him as such...I don't mind calling him that but it's funny that you called me out and are now doing the same.

The question is - when, ever, did Malcolm retract his statements about Elijah Muhammad and the 5% Nation?

Black Man
02-08-2007, 08:35 PM
"Black Man," you just said you don't call him Malcolm, and now you are referring to him as such...I don't mind calling him that but it's funny that you called me out and are now doing the same.

The question is - when, ever, did Malcolm retract his statements about Elijah Muhammad and the 5% Nation?

everybody here don't know him by malik shabazz. i don't get on nobody about calling him malcolm, i tell them what his name is. if you take offense to it then so be it. usually, when i've spoken about his name in the past its also in reference to respect, and other people are also part of that particular discussion.

exact date when he retracted his statement about elijah muhammad, don't know the exact date. as far as the 5% nation, when did he ever say anything about them in public? he and allah were close friends.

Visionz
02-08-2007, 11:08 PM
malcolm x was a racist

this is how foolish you are. i don't call him 'malcolm x' because thats not his name. his name is el hajj malik el shabazz or malik shabazz.

and he didn't discredit the nge(get your facts straight), he spoke on the nation of islam which he was a part of. malik shabazz and allah were very good friends and i know you can't find anything written or said by that man to discredit the nge.pretty slick for someone with a disdain for "slick talk"

everybody here don't know him by malik shabazz. i don't get on nobody about calling him malcolm, i tell them what his name is. if you take offense to it then so be it. usually, when i've spoken about his name in the past its also in reference to respect, and other people are also part of that particular discussion.

exact date when he retracted his statement about elijah muhammad, don't know the exact date. as far as the 5% nation, when did he ever say anything about them in public? he and allah were close friends.As may be the case, Shabazz still believed in the Holy Quran and the One Creator, a prime example that there can be respect without agreement on certain issues.

Black Man
02-09-2007, 10:38 AM
It's nice to see tricknowledge at work. Cutting and pasting ideas and fitting them together like a puzzle to create something new.

Yeah, Mr. Shabazz still believed in the one creator which was the blackman. That never changed.

Edgar Erebus
02-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Yeah, Mr. Shabazz still believed in the one creator which was the blackman. That never changed.

No, dear mister, that's completely wrong. After doing Hajj he reverted to real Islam, which doesn't know racial differences and which admits only Allah as the only God and the only Creator. That's why he stepped out of NOI, because he realized they were wrong with branding white people as devils and black people as gods.

P.S. I'm a Christian, but I studied Qur'an and I know what I'm talking about.

Visionz
02-09-2007, 12:58 PM
cutting and pasting? entire quotes. It's not creating something new, only pointing out the hypocricy of your nature. Tricknowledge=anything that you don't agree with. hop out the box. The Blackman was the original human here on earth. The One Creator? The sun was there before the earth, so who created the Sun? was it the blackman who had yet to exist?

Black Man
02-09-2007, 02:09 PM
No, dear mister, that's completely wrong. After doing Hajj he reverted to real Islam, which doesn't know racial differences and which admits only Allah as the only God and the only Creator. That's why he stepped out of NOI, because he realized they were wrong with branding white people as devils and black people as gods.

P.S. I'm a Christian, but I studied Qur'an and I know what I'm talking about.

Allah is the supreme being blackman, so yes, I know he bears witness to that. That never changed.

No, he didn't step out of the NOI because they taught that white people were devils.

P.S. I've broke bread with his wife.

froth
02-09-2007, 02:43 PM
youre a fucking clown

Visionz
02-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Allah is the supreme being blackman, so yes, I know he bears witness to that. That never changed.

No, he didn't step out of the NOI because they taught that white people were devils.

P.S. I've broke bread with his wife.If he tells you he's had a meal with his wife then you won't noticed that bombshell of a lie he posted in his first sentence. He believed in the Grand Creator, the One Supreme Source, all adjectives to describe something other than the blackman on planet earth. Where he started out is not where he ended up.

And he left the NOI because Elijah was busy getting teenage girls pregnant. Eight kids by six different girls.

Black Man
02-09-2007, 07:01 PM
For those who don't know, his last name is Shabazz(learn what it means). Nothing more needs to be said about what he "believed" in in regards to who Allah is.