PDA

View Full Version : Native American Medicine

WARPATH
02-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Here's an article I found interesting, you guys should check it out. I think it ties into some of the other dicussions we've been having(or should be having) here.

http://www.healthandhealingny.org/tradition_healing/native-history.html

Native American medicine refers to the combined health practices of over 500 distinct nations that inhabited the Americas before the European arrival at the end of the fifteenth century. Specific practices varied among tribes, but all native medicine is based on the understanding that man is part of nature and health is a matter of balance. The natural world thrives when its complex web of interrelationships is honored, nurtured and kept in harmony. Native American philosophy recognizes aspects of the natural world that cannot be seen by the eye or by technology, but which can be experienced directly and intuitively. Just as each human has an immeasurable inner life which powerfully influences well-being, so does nature include unseen but compelling forces which must be addressed and integrated for true balance to be achieved.

Native medicine may be as old as 40,000 years. The culture never developed written language, so there was no documentation of Native American medicine until Europeans arrived 500 years ago. Until recently, documentation has been limited to the observations of those outside the culture. Such writing describes the outward appearances of Native American medicine, but cannot capture its rich subtlety, and is therefore incomplete documentation. Native medicine must be embodied in a lifestyle that honors all creation, and cannot be reduced to an academic body of knowledge and technique. Native American elders generally decline opportunities to share knowledge for fear their sacred knowledge would be exploited. Those who carry the teachings outside the culture risk excommunication.

Intrinsically holistic to a degree conventional medicine is only beginning to conceptualize, Native American medicine addresses imbalance on every level of life, from the most personal inner life to the most overt behavior. Disease is not defined by physical pathology, but viewed from an expanded context that includes body, mind, spirit, emotions, social group, and lifestyle.

Without written language, native medicine never crystallized as a formal body of knowledge with standard practices. Native Americans understand that there are endless ways to achieve balance, and that effective treatment is a marriage of a skilled, compassionate practitioner and committed patient. The uniqueness of each healer's approach is not simply tolerated, it is prized. Of equal importance is the patient's choice to heal. Patients' preferences are always honored. To disregard them, or to use even subtle force, could never effectively establish harmony.

Native American medicine historically included many sophisticated interventions that have been lost in whole or in part, such as various forms of bodywork, bone setting, midwifery, naturopathy, hydrotherapy, and botanical and nutritional medicine. Ceremonial and ritual medicine is the largest surviving piece of Native American medicine, but is still only a small part of what was available 500 years ago.

An undocumented living tradition can only survive through living practitioners. As whole tribes died out, much traditional knowledge was lost. And as the number of indigenous Americans drastically decreased, so did native pride. More Native Americans took up European ways, especially the Christian religion. Fewer people took interest in keeping the traditions alive.

There is evidence that some of this decline may be reversing. Native Americans are increasingly interested in preserving their culture, and healers from other perspectives are keen to learn ancient native wisdom traditions. Elder healers view interest from outside their culture with skepticism. Although some elders feel that sharing native medicine across cultures might help preserve it, most do not trust non-native cultures to honor the integrity of the teachings. Perhaps the power of Native American medicine is seen most dramatically in the fact that despite 500 years of tragic decline, it remains as fluid today as ever, a constantly evolving, living response to the needs of its people and the times.

Urban_Journalz
02-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Nice thread man.

I was always curious as to how much more, outside of the ceremonial practices, there was to the Native American ways of healing. Very informative.

Black Man
02-07-2007, 03:57 PM
them indians is savages with their voodoo medicine. dancing around making up words shaking a babies rattle. damn savages.

well, if they're so savage can you explain their ability to heal people without the use of modern day drugs? more importantly, can you explain why there weren't many outbreaks(plagues) before contact with the west?

i always say the best medicine is the medicine you find in nature, and the best healers are the ones people called savages.

understand that all things vibrate and just like a piano people need tuning also. the chanting is very important to bring a person back to the proper rate of vibration so they can be one with nature. modern medicine doesn't understand this for various reasons.

i for one don't use "drugs" to heal my body. i eat the right foods, excersice and think the right thoughts. people really need to get back to the earth and respect what she has to offer. the indeginous people of the americas know what they're talking about and doing. they been living off the land forever and a day, while us modern people are drinking liquid steroids and eating foods the destroy body instead of promoting good health.

WARPATH
02-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Those who carry the teachings outside the culture risk excommunication.

So Blackman, how come you get up in arms when I submit my savage mentality on this board? I mean you seem to have a general respect and appreciation of the medicine, it would do you good to start paying closer to attention some the knowledge I drop around the boards.

The drum is tuned to vibrate at the same rate of the earth. This is what modern science is finding out now.

Black Man
02-07-2007, 05:13 PM

So Blackman, how come you get up in arms when I submit my savage mentality on this board? I mean you seem to have a general respect and appreciation of the medicine, it would do you good to start paying closer to attention some the knowledge I drop around the boards.

The drum is tuned to vibrate at the same rate of the earth. This is what modern science is finding out now.

what do you mean? give me an example please.

WARPATH
02-07-2007, 05:27 PM
example:

And all "indeginious" people are not "balanced"

Eating "dogs" you're not balanced. And I in no means mean this in a disrespectful manner, and I understand that's apart of your society. There's a saying you are what you eat, and eating dog isn't good for you. It's unhealthy. That causes a person to be unbalanced.

Here's a whole thread.......

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27984&page=10

"Primitive cultures don't make up myths, they experience them"

I forgot who siad this, but i'll quote him on it. I'll find out and add his name later.

Black Man
02-07-2007, 05:35 PM
example:

Here's a whole thread.......

http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27984&page=10

I forgot who siad this, but i'll quote him on it. I'll find out and add his name later.

when did i get up in arms? and i'm taking that expression to mean i got angry. i don't get angry over whats said on the internet.

Black Man
02-07-2007, 05:36 PM
btw, i'm not the one who made fun of you about eating dogs. i did however speak on it from a nutrional stand point and mention it's not healthy.

froth
02-07-2007, 05:38 PM
hey black man are you ever gonna get around to explaining yourself in the iran aids thread or are you just full of shit

WARPATH
02-07-2007, 05:47 PM
btw, i'm not the one who made fun of you about eating dogs. i did however speak on it from a nutrional stand point and mention it's not healthy.

There it is, up in arms. I had a reply, but I deleted, i'm not getting into this again. It's gonna go ugly fast.

the silencer
02-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Charging Soldier, i think that second quote is from Joseph Campbell...

WARPATH
02-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Charging Soldier, i think that second quote is from Joseph Campbell...

Maybe he siad it too, but I think i'm quoting someone else......I read it on one my text books for school on Myths written in Lakota language.

froth
02-07-2007, 05:56 PM
probably, campbell is the man

when i was in college all i did practically was study native american culture

my fave things to learn about were shaman and medicine men and elaborate rituals where they ceremoniously removed diseases with their mouths or what not. modern science doesnt properly explain this but the truth is that there were a lot of healings based on the expectations and beliefs of the patient. meaning, it works if you believe it, or more correctly, KNOW IT WORKS

this is hard to explain but i just wanted to say this correlates with my studies in the tao, in fact it strengthens it as i would expect it would

peace

Black Man
02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
There it is, up in arms. I had a reply, but I deleted, i'm not getting into this again. It's gonna go ugly fast.

what do you mean by 'up in arms?'

WARPATH
02-07-2007, 06:10 PM
probably, campbell is the man

when i was in college all i did practically was study native american culture

my fave things to learn about were shaman and medicine men and elaborate rituals where they ceremoniously removed diseases with their mouths or what not. modern science doesnt properly explain this but the truth is that there were a lot of healings based on the expectations and beliefs of the patient. meaning, it works if you believe it, or more correctly, KNOW IT WORKS

this is hard to explain but i just wanted to say this correlates with my studies in the tao, in fact it strengthens it as i would expect it would

peace

I wish I could elaborate on some of these things, but a lot of people are just too judgemental(eating dogs for example), close minded, or wouldn't beilieve it anyways.

I guess that's why things like that can't be shared with just anyone, exspecially on the internet.

froth
02-07-2007, 06:12 PM
nah man never close off something that could help someone

WARPATH
02-07-2007, 06:15 PM
what do you mean by 'up in arms?'

Up in arms-

An expression, where one arms himself or goes into a defensive mode.

or

Like a baby, who doesn't want his mother to lay him down or let anyone else rock him for a bit.-

Your up in arms, you won't let down your gaurd for a minute, to fathom the notion that you might be wrong. To make it worse, you take extra effort to assert that you know more than everyone else.

I'll use myself as an example-

That quote, cambell probably siad it, but I don't think so, i'm being up in arms.

and when I go home and read that cambpell siad it, i'll come back here and say-

Hey you guys were right, campbell did say it.

WARPATH
02-07-2007, 06:22 PM
nah man never close off something that could help someone

It's never closed off though.......see that's the thing- In most instances, we don't discriminate, we just get discriminated against.

Black Man
02-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Up in arms-

An expression, where one arms himself or goes into a defensive mode.

or

Like a baby, who doesn't want his mother to lay him down or let anyone else rock him for a bit.-

Your up in arms, you won't let down your gaurd for a minute, to fathom the notion that you might be wrong. To make it worse, you take extra effort to assert that you know more than everyone else.

I'll use myself as an example-

That quote, cambell probably siad it, but I don't think so, i'm being up in arms.

and when I go home and read that cambpell siad it, i'll come back here and say-

Hey you guys were right, campbell did say it.

defensive...i'm not defensive or offensive, i'm just me.

i don't speak on things i don't know.

you post a past thread as an example of me being "up in arms" however when i went back and read it, you were the one who was up in arms because somebody made fun of you/your people for eating dogs. i'm not the one who made fun of your culture. you got on the defensive and turned into a class five hurricane.

theafghan
02-08-2007, 03:49 AM
more importantly, can you explain why there weren't many outbreaks(plagues) before contact with the west?

one theory, (short version) from guns, germs and steel by jared diamond:

people of the americas did not domesticate AS MANY animals as people in eurasia. so, they were not as close with animals (domesticated), and so were not as exposed to pathogens, aka less resistance to disease. euros came with germs and decimated american peoples who had never developed as much immunity

why didn't americans domesticate as many animals? because the american continents are oriented in a primarily north-south axis on earth (so is africa), while eurasia is primarily east-west.
SO, migration of humans is easier going east-west because of the similarity of the climate along the same degree of latitude. if you go north and south you gotta go through desert, jungle, prairie, forest, tundra, etc etc. this makes migration and spread of ideas and knowledge, and animals, between peoples harder.
going east and west you can stay within the same climate and travel easier, take your animals with you because they'll be seeing the same plant type (ie, food), and you can spread your domesticated animals and ideas easier to other peoples (i.e., more domestication of animals...more immunity to germs).

this is a SHORT and undeveloped explanation of his theory, so if you want to learn more about it, read the book.

one of the greatest books, it really attacks racism and explains why the world is the way it is today in terms of geography. why didn't people of the americas end up sailing to europe to conqure and enslave and wipe them out? it all goes back to the orientation of the continents...

READ THIS BOOK!!!! guns germs and steel by jared diamond

WARPATH
02-08-2007, 05:07 PM
defensive...i'm not defensive or offensive, i'm just me.

i don't speak on things i don't know.

you post a past thread as an example of me being "up in arms" however when i went back and read it, you were the one who was up in arms because somebody made fun of you/your people for eating dogs. i'm not the one who made fun of your culture. you got on the defensive and turned into a class five hurricane.

Ok buddy, keep telling yourself that.

WARPATH
02-08-2007, 05:11 PM
one theory, (short version) from guns, germs and steel by jared diamond:

people of the americas did not domesticate AS MANY animals as people in eurasia. so, they were not as close with animals (domesticated), and so were not as exposed to pathogens, aka less resistance to disease. euros came with germs and decimated american peoples who had never developed as much immunity

why didn't americans domesticate as many animals? because the american continents are oriented in a primarily north-south axis on earth (so is africa), while eurasia is primarily east-west.
SO, migration of humans is easier going east-west because of the similarity of the climate along the same degree of latitude. if you go north and south you gotta go through desert, jungle, prairie, forest, tundra, etc etc. this makes migration and spread of ideas and knowledge, and animals, between peoples harder.
going east and west you can stay within the same climate and travel easier, take your animals with you because they'll be seeing the same plant type (ie, food), and you can spread your domesticated animals and ideas easier to other peoples (i.e., more domestication of animals...more immunity to germs).

this is a SHORT and undeveloped explanation of his theory, so if you want to learn more about it, read the book.

one of the greatest books, it really attacks racism and explains why the world is the way it is today in terms of geography. why didn't people of the americas end up sailing to europe to conqure and enslave and wipe them out? it all goes back to the orientation of the continents...

READ THIS BOOK!!!! guns germs and steel by jared diamond

This is an interesting theory, I've never heard it.

Black Man
02-08-2007, 05:32 PM
/\/\/\/\ up in arms again i see.

WARPATH
02-08-2007, 05:38 PM
/\/\/\/\ up in arms again i see.

I think your getting it twisted. Don't you have a Black pride parade to join? Oh wait......the brothers chased you off the block already.

Black Man
02-08-2007, 06:06 PM
I think your getting it twisted. Don't you have a Black pride parade to join? Oh wait......the brothers chased you off the block already.

:nonono: i suggest you stay respectful

crass
02-08-2007, 07:40 PM
vMHXmDNHb8o

Tito_Para Enfrente
02-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Isnt This Salvia . . Or Bud

WARPATH
02-09-2007, 11:57 AM
vMHXmDNHb8o

LMAO Russel Means is fucking joke, that guy keeps trying to run for tribal president.

He got famous for peeing on George Washington's head at Mount Rushmore.