PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Campbell

Ultimate Fist
02-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Anyone read anything by him? I'm reading Myths to Live By right now.

THEORY
02-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Never read anything by him. Title of the book you are reading now sounds interesting. How is it so far?

Ultimate Fist
02-09-2007, 10:21 PM
It's great. It's all about how the same symbols reappear in mythology across cultures. His theory is that a lot of the heroes/symbols/villains/etc that appear in stories are based in our collective subconcious. He gets into how schizophrenics who are completely unfamiliar with the myths of other cultures sometimes see characters from those myths. He also has an interesting theory that schizophrenics and religious people are basicly having the same experience except that schizophrenics get lost in their own head while religious people apply their experiences. Cool shit. He was a big inspiration for George Lucas on Star Wars.

THEORY
02-10-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm definately gonna cop that. I remember hearing an interview about something that may be somewhat similar as far as the subconcious thing. There are documented studies of people under heavy dosages of hallucinogens giving almost detail for detail accounts of "entities" encountered while they were dosed.

I believe we are all part of "ONE" and that one is our collective consciousness.

the silencer
02-10-2007, 01:12 AM
froth brought up the brilliance of Campbell in a thread last week and i've been watchin all his vids on YouTube all week...

dude is amazing...i ordered a copy of Hero with a 1000 Faces yesterday

go to YouTube and type his name in (or type in "Mythos Chapter") theres alot of awesome vids of his lectures

Punch
02-10-2007, 01:21 AM
There's a bunch of MP3s of his out there that I recommend to you all. He has a really good series on Buddhism.

the silencer
02-10-2007, 01:42 AM
ya i think he wrote hero of a thousand faces? about mythology. if its the same guy he is definatly a good read
yup thats him....(as i just mentioned)

froth
02-10-2007, 02:16 PM
word ive read a lot of his stuff, glad yall are reading him. i recommend 'the power of myth'

THEORY
02-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Gotta check out youtube. Thx.