PDA

View Full Version : > Educational System Designed to Keep Us Uneducated and Docile ?

iniquity
02-13-2007, 08:04 PM

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/images/crayons2.gif

It's no secret that the US educational system doesn't do a very good job. Like clockwork, studies show that America's schoolkids lag behind their peers in pretty much every industrialized nation. We hear shocking statistics about the percentage of high-school seniors who can't find the US on an unmarked map of the world or who don't know who Abraham Lincoln was.

Fingers are pointed at various aspects of the schooling system—overcrowded classrooms, lack of funding, teachers who can't pass competency exams in their fields, etc. But these are just secondary problems. Even if they were cleared up, schools would still suck. Why? Because they were designed to.

How can I make such a bold statement? How do I know why America's public school system was designed the way it was (age-segregated, six to eight 50-minute classes in a row announced by Pavlovian bells, emphasis on rote memorization, lorded over by unquestionable authority figures, etc.)? Because the men who designed, funded, and implemented America's formal educational system in the late 1800s and early 1900s wrote about what they were doing.

Almost all of these books, articles, and reports are out of print and hard to obtain. Luckily for us, John Taylor Gatto tracked them down. Gatto was voted the New York City Teacher of the Year three times and the New York State Teacher of the Year in 1991. But he became disillusioned with schools—the way they enforce conformity, the way they kill the natural creativity, inquisitiveness, and love of learning that every little child has at the beginning. So he began to dig into terra incognita, the roots of America's educational system.

In 1888, the Senate Committee on Education was getting jittery about the localized, non-standardized, non-mandatory form of education that was actually teaching children to read at advanced levels, to comprehend history, and, egads, to think for themselves. The committee's report stated, "We believe that education is one of the principal causes of discontent of late years manifesting itself among the laboring classes."

By the turn of the century, America's new educrats were pushing a new form of schooling with a new mission (and it wasn't to teach). The famous philosopher and educator John Dewey wrote in 1897:

Every teacher should realize he is a social servant set apart for the maintenance of the proper social order and the securing of the right social growth.

In his 1905 dissertation for Columbia Teachers College, Elwood Cubberly—the future Dean of Education at Stanford—wrote that schools should be factories "in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products...manufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

The next year, the Rockefeller Education Board—which funded the creation of numerous public schools—issued a statement which read in part:

In our dreams...people yield themselves with perfect docility to our molding hands. The present educational conventions [intellectual and character education] fade from our minds, and unhampered by tradition we work our own good will upon a grateful and responsive folk. We shall not try to make these people or any of their children into philosophers or men of learning or men of science. We have not to raise up from among them authors, educators, poets or men of letters. We shall not search for embryo great artists, painters, musicians, nor lawyers, doctors, preachers, politicians, statesmen, of whom we have ample supply. The task we set before ourselves is very simple...we will organize children...and teach them to do in a perfect way the things their fathers and mothers are doing in an imperfect way.

At the same time, William Torrey Harris, US Commissioner of Education from 1889 to 1906, wrote:

Ninety-nine [students] out of a hundred are automata, careful to walk in prescribed paths, careful to follow the prescribed custom. This is not an accident but the result of substantial education, which, scientifically defined, is the subsumption of the individual.

In that same book, The Philosophy of Education, Harris also revealed:

The great purpose of school can be realized better in dark, airless, ugly places.... It is to master the physical self, to transcend the beauty of nature. School should develop the power to withdraw from the external world.

Several years later, President Woodrow Wilson would echo these sentiments in a speech to businessmen:

We want one class to have a liberal education. We want another class, a very much larger class of necessity, to forego the privilege of a liberal education and fit themselves to perform specific difficult manual tasks.

Writes Gatto: "Another major architect of standardized testing, H.H. Goddard, said in his book Human Efficiency (1920) that government schooling was about 'the perfect organization of the hive.'"

While President of Harvard from 1933 to 1953, James Bryant Conant wrote that the change to a forced, rigid, potential-destroying educational system had been demanded by "certain industrialists and the innovative who were altering the nature of the industrial process."

In other words, the captains of industry and government explicitly wanted an educational system that would maintain social order by teaching us just enough to get by but not enough so that we could think for ourselves, question the sociopolitical order, or communicate articulately. We were to become good worker-drones, with a razor-thin slice of the population—mainly the children of the captains of industry and government—to rise to the level where they could continue running things.

This was the openly admitted blueprint for the public schooling system, a blueprint which remains unchanged to this day. Although the true reasons behind it aren't often publicly expressed, they're apparently still known within education circles. Clinical psychologist Bruce E. Levine wrote in 2001:

I once consulted with a teacher of an extremely bright eight-year-old boy labeled with oppositional defiant disorder. I suggested that perhaps the boy didn't have a disease, but was just bored. His teacher, a pleasant woman, agreed with me. However, she added, "They told us at the state conference that our job is to get them ready for the work world…that the children have to get used to not being stimulated all the time or they will lose their jobs in the real world."

.. http://www.invision.smileyville.net/smilies/sleepy.gif ..

CherChezLaMarauder
02-13-2007, 09:27 PM
i don't think children are taught critical thinking at all. And when they do display some critical thinking, they are called "nerds, geeks etc" and are harshly bullied.

LeatherBack
02-13-2007, 09:40 PM
http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/toc1.htm

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
02-13-2007, 10:46 PM
swimming are the victims in Public School Systems,
Designed for us to Drown Critical thoughts become bound,
kids leave mornings all proud unknown of the Cloud,
A Crowd the next generation bares a frown,
with working poor parents always working never around,
the feet hit the ground the beat from the sound,
the beat from the feet that pound on the ground,
defeat dumbs us down we creep underground,
the monotone low rumble devours most around... Devour those around...the soured soldiers sound.

Ultimate Fist
02-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Is this by John Taylor Gatto? To see what else the're up to look at Imperializing Africa at my school thread below.

maestro wooz
02-14-2007, 01:53 AM
yeah they keep you dumb, send your kids to private schools.

CharlesJones
03-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Marauder1 i agree with you 100% about that. Ignorant kids need to stop teasing people that are smart and bullying them. Ignorant kids need to be expelled from school for doing dumb shit like that on a regular basis. How can smart kids learn when they're constantly being teased and bullied by the ignorant bastards? Private school isn't the answer because there's ignorant kids at those schools too. I think the answer is homeschooling. When a kid is being homeschooled, there's no ignorant kids around to tease him and there's no distractions. A kid can learn in a homeschool environment. I know it costs a lot of money to be homeschooled but i think that the costs for homeschooling shouldn't be expensive. Public schools are horrible especially schools in the ghetto.

Visionz
03-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Marauder1 i agree with you 100% about that. Ignorant kids need to stop teasing people that are smart and bullying them. Ignorant kids need to be expelled from school for doing dumb shit like that on a regular basis. How can smart kids learn when they're constantly being teased and bullied by the ignorant bastards? Private school isn't the answer because there's ignorant kids at those schools too. I think the answer is homeschooling. When a kid is being homeschooled, there's no ignorant kids around to tease him and there's no distractions. A kid can learn in a homeschool environment. I know it costs a lot of money to be homeschooled but i think that the costs for homeschooling shouldn't be expensive. Public schools are horrible especially schools in the ghetto.home-schooled by who? especially if we're talkin about the ghettos. single moms, parents with two jobs and no time? I agree the system's fucked up but home-schoolin, in my eyes, isn't the answer. Not to mention the fact that even if the parents do have plenty of time, there's no guarentee the parent is any less ignorant than the school system

and when it comes to bullying, lets face it, sheltering people from the real world isn't the best way to teach someone how to deal with it.

RAMESH
03-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Marauder1 i agree with you 100% about that. Ignorant kids need to stop teasing people that are smart and bullying them. Ignorant kids need to be expelled from school for doing dumb shit like that on a regular basis. How can smart kids learn when they're constantly being teased and bullied by the ignorant bastards? Private school isn't the answer because there's ignorant kids at those schools too. I think the answer is homeschooling. When a kid is being homeschooled, there's no ignorant kids around to tease him and there's no distractions. A kid can learn in a homeschool environment. I know it costs a lot of money to be homeschooled but i think that the costs for homeschooling shouldn't be expensive. Public schools are horrible especially schools in the ghetto.
american schools is much better than african schools
americans take alot for granted
ignorent kids bullying smart kids is bullshit
you got the books & a teacher what more do u want a lift to school

Visionz
03-10-2007, 08:34 PM
american schools is much better than african schools
americans take alot for granted
ignorent kids bullying smart kids is bullshit
you got the books & a teacher what more do u want a lift to school
we got that too, its called a bus

CharlesJones
03-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Ramesh how you figure ignorant kids don't bully smart kids? That shit may not happen in your country but it happens in america.

WARPATH
03-23-2007, 11:07 AM
I think the difference in public schools, depends on the communitty surrounding the schools.

I realized this when I moved from a houseing project(nestled in a rich community where the school was very nice) to an inner city schools in Denver and Rapid City.

I was like taking a step backwards in education. Teacher passed me in English even though I never went to class for a whole month......I even had to correct the basic algebra teacher for teaching the subject wrong. I made her cry and she asked why I was even in that class.(it was over somthing as simple as order of operations.)

CharlesJones
03-23-2007, 11:15 AM
It really doesn't matter what school you go to because of the neighborhood the school is in. I went to a all black school in the suburbs and the school was terrible because most of the black kids were ignorant and weren't trying to learn. So it doesn't matter to me whether you go to school in the inner city or the suburbs. If you go to a all black school, you might as well forget about getting a education because it's hard to learn in a environment where most of the kids are ignorant. Plus i think that school counselors should stop forcing kids to take classes that they know they aren't going to pass like science, algebra, calculus. I took science and algebra when i was in school and i hated those subjects. I also took art class in high school because i was forced to take it to graduate and i suck at drawing. I remember i took shop class in middle school and i hated that class too. I've never been good at fixing things using tools so i don't know why i was forced to take shop class.

WARPATH
03-23-2007, 11:21 AM
^^That's a cop out, learning falls back on the student. You have to want to learn, you can't blame other students because you didn't want to learn a subject. Trying to say that you can't learn in an all black school is just another one of your stereo types.

CharlesJones
03-23-2007, 12:05 PM
That's not a stereotype. That's a fact. Explain to me how you can concentrate and learn in a fucked up environment when the majority of kids are ignorant and they're teasing you and laughing at you because you wanna learn. It's impossible to concentrate and learn in a school where the majority of kids are constantly talking in class and laughing at people in class that are trying to learn. The teachers don't give a fuck because they're getting paid and they don't care about telling the ignorant kids to stop acting stupid.

RAMESH
03-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Ramesh how you figure ignorant kids don't bully smart kids? That shit may not happen in your country but it happens in america.
the most important lesson in life is to stand up for yourself
if you let someone hit/rob you they will do it again & again only you can stop it

RAMESH
03-23-2007, 12:09 PM
That's not a stereotype. That's a fact. Explain to me how you can concentrate and learn in a fucked up environment when the majority of kids are ignorant and they're teasing you and laughing at you because you wanna learn. It's impossible to concentrate and learn in a school where the majority of kids are constantly talking in class and laughing at people in class that are trying to learn. The teachers don't give a fuck because they're getting paid and they don't care about telling the ignorant kids to stop acting stupid.
you got the books go through them & if those kids bug you then hurt them

WARPATH
03-23-2007, 12:12 PM
If you go to a all black school, you might as well forget about getting a education because it's hard to learn in a environment where most of the kids are ignorant.

That's the stereo type I was reffering too.

I agree it's hard to learn when other students are fucking off, and the teacher doesn't discpline. But, ultimatley, it's the student that has to want to study and take their education higher.

CharlesJones
03-23-2007, 12:15 PM
I agree with you Ramesh that people that get bullied need to fight back because that's the only way bullies will stop bothering you but the principal and the school administration thinks that fighting back isn't the best solution to handling a bully. I think the solution is to fight a bully that's bothering you because that's the only way they'll leave you alone. If you report a bully to the principal, then you have to deal with the bully calling you a sissy or a snitch because you told the principal. I'd rather fight the bully than be called names and bullied some more. I got bullied a few times when i was in middle school and i never fought back because the bullies were bigger than me and i was scared to fight them. I never reported them to the principal but in a weird way, the bullies stopped bothering me.

WARPATH
03-23-2007, 12:17 PM
You can usually talk down a bully that's fucking with you, but if not, pick up a brick! That'll teach em.

CharlesJones
03-23-2007, 12:20 PM
I ain't gonna front. I think school is very boring and i didn't take education seriously until i got older because i see how hard it is to have a good job when you don't have a education. I barely graduated from high school. I wasn't a bad student but there were some classes i wasn't good at like most students. I'm a very good reader when it comes to pronouncing words right. I noticed in high school when kids were asked to read by the teacher that they would have a hard time pronouncing words. I wish college was free because i would've went if it was free. Colleges charge students way too much money to get a education and that's why so many kids don't go to college especially black kids that have poor grades in high school. Some poor black kids that are educated wanna get a college education and they can't afford to go to college and that's not fair to them.

RAMESH
03-23-2007, 12:34 PM
you guys are very smart & i mean it
you should know without an education you are going to struggle in life the world can be a fucked up place
never let any obstacles stand in your way to reach your goals

T-Mac
03-23-2007, 11:09 PM
The American education system wasn't "Made" to keep anyone dumb. The people that come up with it actually usually do want to educate the world, they just suck at it.

Visionz
03-23-2007, 11:27 PM
That's not a stereotype. That's a fact. Explain to me how you can concentrate and learn in a fucked up environment when the majority of kids are ignorant and they're teasing you and laughing at you because you wanna learn. It's impossible to concentrate and learn in a school where the majority of kids are constantly talking in class and laughing at people in class that are trying to learn. The teachers don't give a fuck because they're getting paid and they don't care about telling the ignorant kids to stop acting stupid.I'm starting to see where the cops vs. ignorant kids came from.

The American education system wasn't "Made" to keep anyone dumb. The people that come up with it actually usually do want to educate the world, they just suck at it.they're dumbing them down now as we speak (standarized testing anyone?) If you don't teach people to think for themselves then you have a population that will readily swallow the bullshit you feed them. This scenario is to the power structures benefit and is a major problem in our world today.

RAMESH
03-24-2007, 04:55 AM
i been thinking what i said about cats giving you problems you should hurt them but that's for ignorent cats
i think if somone is giving you problems you should tell your teacher & if your teacher is unwilling to help go to the priciple
if they tease you about it go to the principle again until they stop with their shit
that shit about you being a snitch is for ignorent street cats
we living in the new world now & people must understand the consiquences of their actions
they might think you a snitch but you actually preparing them for the world
if kids know from a young age that they going to get punished for their wrong doings it can save them in the future from going to jail
it doesn't matter what they think about you
you can explain to them the reason why you here is not to kill time but you want the gold chains nice cars & a big house & you don't want to work at mc donalds

Frontal Lobotomy
03-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Man, I hated school. All it does is prime you for the cubicle existence in the workplace. Thinking outside the box is frowned upon, and rebelliousness gets you expelled. Even now at uni its still widely frowned upon to have thoughts that aren't curricular. Its like you're supposed to have your whole life planned outfro mabout the age of 11 and they act like cunts to you if you don't tell them what they want to hear. The best way to get educated is to do it yourself. The institution will just aid you in being sociable, at best.

whitey
03-24-2007, 01:35 PM
its kids who dont want to do work and parents who dont emphasize the importance of doing good in school plain and simple.

all this its hard to do good in school in a fucked up enviornment bla bla bla.

its fucking hard for a reason. its hard for anyone to do good in school. sure some people are born smarter and it may be easier per say, but if anyone wants to get anywhere you gotta put the work in. i dont care if your from compton or laguna beach.

CharlesJones
04-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Ramesh how you gonna change your mind? The only way to deal with a bully is to fight back because if you don't, the bully will continue to pick with you. Going to the principal or telling a teacher isn't gonna solve the problem because they aren't gonna do shit to stop the bully from picking with you.

V4D3R
04-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Educate yourselves - gather information before they book-burn the WWW.

WWW2.NWO.OWN is coming.

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
04-06-2007, 05:39 PM
I went through Highschool as a B average Nerd...When I reached the 11th grade I was bored of the curricullum so I joined the Wilderness Program...the Wilderness Program prepares students to live in the real world and deal with reality...I worked in a soup kitchen and served the homeless, I worked as a Camp Counselor, I learned how to get donations from big corporations I went on a 7 day survivalist trip in the Los Padres Mountains...A great experience I will never forget.

RAMESH
04-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Ramesh how you gonna change your mind? The only way to deal with a bully is to fight back because if you don't, the bully will continue to pick with you. Going to the principal or telling a teacher isn't gonna solve the problem because they aren't gonna do shit to stop the bully from picking with you.
the thing is it's easy for me to say beat the bully up because i'm huge & powerfull
it's pointless to fight if you can't win it doesn't take a hero to get his ass kicked
i would never want anyone to hit my son so i think the best advise i can give is to complain
i you complain enough the bully will get into trouble he could even get suspended or expelled so he will realise if he fucks with you he will pay
if you fuck the bully up you must worry about pay back & if he fucks you up he will do it again & again
a kid shouldn't be abused by anyone in anyway

ed-word
04-07-2007, 05:07 PM
i agree, there is something wrong with all this education stuff, im still learning in shool and i must say it is quite hard to make my self learn, math and other classes make me think that that shit is too hard for me, but if you change your my mind a litle bit, and think that it aint so hard, it gets better

Mumm Ra
04-07-2007, 05:25 PM
from kindergarten to college all they do is throw information at you while ignoring how that information is processed.

CharlesJones
04-13-2007, 05:18 PM
Well i guess i'd rather take my chances of getting fucked up by a bully rather than not fighting the bully at all. At least if i fight the bully, that'll show him i got some heart and i'm not a pushover. One time i fought a black dude that was bullying me and he almost choked me to death. I was lucky i survived but i told 2 black guys that i knew that he was picking on me for no reason and they told me they would confront him about that. I don't know if they kicked his ass or not because they never told me what they did to him but i hope they beat his ass.