PDA

View Full Version : Wisemen - Wisemen Approaching

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-16-2007, 09:01 AM
This album isn't doing anything particulary new, but what it is doing its doing very well. Its solid. Bronze might be starting to hone his own sound more and more (but damn the kid likes trumpets!), all the mcs are capable. This is higher quality Wu affiliate music, I don't think any fans on this website would be disapointed if they copped this. We dont need no hooks.

01. Introducing (No Matter How)
Very nice opening verse, great vocal samples. 4/5

02. New Year Banga
When i first heard this, though maybe the beat was too slow 4 the raps, its aight thoh 3/5

03. Illness
Not feeling the beat 2/5

04. Associated (Feat GZA)
GZA's voice is changing, its getting higher and more piercing, but lays 10 or so v nice bars down. 3/5

05. Mixture Of Muhammad
love the voice sample, ill first verse coming from all over the earth. 4.5/5

06. Iconoclasts (Feat Killah Priest & Vast Aire)
sounds like the song of dreddy kruger album, was looking foward to seeing how Vast was sounding now......uh, he still out of form. 3.5/5

07. Founder Of Pain
Beats very similar to ones come already. 2.5/5

08. Blinded
closest thing to wildflower since wildflower (apart from strawberries), its not as good though, obviously. Nice beat. 4/5

09. Up There Beyond
I like this beat, more simple, couldve lost that voice sample thoug. 3.7/5

10. Verbal Joust
cool quote at the start. 3/5

11. Words From The Prodigal Sunn...
yeah thanks p....

12. Goblins (Tablets) (Feat Planet Asia & Prodigal Sunn)
ILL. Asia spits flames as usual. 4.256/5

13. Welcome Home (Feat Gooch & Altaire)
2/5

14. Honor's Promise
J dilla influenced beat. One of the best songs, wouldve liked more of this type of song. 5/5.

15. Wisemen Approaching
Alot of you SHOULD recognize the sample.....some won't like it being re-used, but brings back memories. 4/5.

the silencer
02-16-2007, 10:57 PM
this is the first time i'm ever writing one of these real deal reviews here so.....bear with me..

this album is beautiful....filled with nothin but dope sounds...my first listen i was on the bus this afternoon headin to school and some of the songs i coodnt help it i was like bobbin my head to the beat...

(just wanna point out that im review the advance..i have a feeling some shit will be changed on the real 1...for instance, it lists Prodigal Sunn as featured in one of the songs but he doesnt have a verse on it.....hopefully he does on the official one)

1. Introducing (No Matter How)
this starts off with a nice, soothing, ill smooth beat..nice and slow but rhythmic.....Kevlaar 7 sets the stage wit a dope verse....then Phillie comes correct and Bronze fuckin slaughters it (this happens alot on here....he shines on this album lyrically yo)...each verse begins with the words "introducin a wise man.."
Really good way to start off the album
4.5/ 5

2. New Year Banga
after like 3 listens of the album i think this is the song i like least....its DEFINITELY NOT a bad song but...i dono i just don't like it as much as some of the other crazy shit...pretty nice beat once again..
3/5

3. Illness
dopeness....u dont hear too many beats like this....hes got the horns goin and a little flute flip and u can barely hear singin in the background (sounds like "goodnight baby")....
fast paced style song and each of them is tellin a story....Kevlaar is nice on this..
3.5/5

4. Associated ft Genius/Gza
this song is straight up HIP HOP...such an ill pace to this song...nice drums and some horns in the background...Gza flows NICE on here, then Bronze comes nicely, Kevlaar pretty dope, Phillie and Salute surprised me on here....they were dope and they kept their flows in pace with the beat really good...
Salute on the last verse fuckin KILLS it.."cold-hearted lungs but my tongue spit cajun.."
4.5/5

5. Mixture of Muhammad
Kevlaar solo....this song is fuckin SIIIIIIIIIIICK..
i remember first hearin this on the Kevlaar 7 snippets thing thats been on Wu-Corp for a while and i was like man i cant wait to hear that whole track..the beat is just so damn nice, with scratches in it and a ladies voice just like rollin over the beat...and Kevlaar just vomits flamin lyrics on here man.....omg this song is nuts...maybe my fav on here....ill be tryin to catch his lyrics on here for months
5/5

6. Iconoclasts ft Killah Priest and Vast Aire
by the time i heard it on here i had already heard it like 10 times on the promo page...u wooda thought a song like this wit Killah Priest wood be the jewel of the album but (even tho its mad dope) it aint the best on here thats for sure..
Bronze made a nice beat for a song like this wit a bunch of emcees spittin..
i dono why, but Vast Aire annoys me on here...the way he talks i just hate it..
3.5/5

7. Founder of Pain
Salute solo...nice little piano beat wit cool drums...Salute comes pretty ill on here..i gotta say i didnt expect him to be this good..then Bronze flips the beat a little in the end and its just sick
4/5 (cuz the beat is just crazy)

8. Blinded
damn....Bronze is a fuckin master of makin these love-type songs..
quick little thing in the beginning with a woman talkin about love over wind blowin and a quiet beat....then the beat starts JAMMIN...damn this is hip hop art....i love this beat...slow wit a hard hittin bass and Bronze flows nice on this..this is a BN solo
."when she used to talk, clouds parted for the blue skies"
Bronze is a poetic fuckin dude...he said in a couple interviews that he doesnt purposely try to make beats for love songs or whatever but this, the one on TGM with Byata, and the beat he did for Same Ole Girl on the 5% album are like my love anthems..
5/5

9. Up There Beyond
cool beat once again...mostly bass with a sample comin with a dude sayin i think "dont know whats up there...beyond"...slow tempo to this song...i definitely like this..Bronze spits a nice verse again
3.5/5

10. Verbal Joust
the beat sounds so similar to the previous song..mostly bass with a quiet sample in the background...hard to distinguish this from #9 really but its another dope one...the whole albums got a nice feel and mood to it...again im surprised at how good Phillie is on here...im likin this dude..Bronze and Phillie go back and forth with a couple nice verses...
3.5/5

11. Words from the Prodigal Sunn
a quick 30 second thing of P-Sunn droppin a quick jewel

12. Goblins (Tablets) ft Planet Asia and Prodigal Sunn (??)
i fucking love this one yo...ill beat wit the instruments playing...Phillie fuckin sets it off NICE..goddamn..
this song makes my brain tingle....so ill
the way Planet Asia decided to flow on here is SO crazy...he just like hops from bar to bar, fuckin spittin like a professional
Prodigal Sunn aint on here but Planet Asia says somethin like "yo P-Sunn pass me the whatever"..so i hope hes on the real album
Bronze ends it off wit a nice verse once AGAIN....i totally take back any reservations i used to have about Bronze Nazareth's rhyming abilities...he's fuckin dope man....its official now
5/5

13. Welcome Home ft Gooch and Altaire
Bronze speakin in the beginning about these whack emcees nowadays...just chattin a little bit and the beat suddenly starts blastin in....this song is FLAMES....such a fuckin nice tempo you gotta just tap your feet to it..theres a "i said welcome on home" sample that comes in every now and then and a little kick ("huh!") at the tail end of the beat..well-crafted..Bronze spits a ill one on here
this part of the album is definitely like the peak or the climax...12 and 13 are so fuckin dope man.....Wisemen are ill as fuck..
as for the features, i dont know who they are and i cant tell which one is which from their voice but they both come CORRRRRRECT on here....its amazing theres dudes like these guys around who nobody ever heard of it and stuff and they're a 100000x times better emcees than the fuckin sewage trash u hear on the radio
5/5

14. Honor's Promise
i heard this one waaaay back...for some reason it just sounds better..i dono maybe cuz its surrounded by all these other bangers and it just fits into this album perfectly..we've all really heard this one before so whatever..
3.5/5

15. Wisemen Approaching
evil-sounding piano on here...and a slow beat..almost sounds like an old Mobb Deep song or somethin...just RAW shit
nice way to close it out...Bronze sets it off wit yet ANOTHER sick verse...
in the background it sounds like the same dude from Motherless Child sayin "i caAaAaAan't and i willlll.." or whatever he says...Kevlaar 7 slaughters this song on his verse....the man has some serious skills on the mic
4.5/5

overall: 5/5
i thought about this for a while, what i shood rate this overall and i decided its gotta be 5/5 just cuz i really didnt see this coming....i mean, i was lookin forward to the album and stuff and most ppl on here know im a big fan of Bronze's stuff but i didnt expect much out of the other dudes..
Salute and Phillie really couldn't have done a better job on here...they were really ill..and every single fuckin beat is nice yo
i dont know how else to say it...
its a great follow up to The Great Migration cuz its another album that has a nice mood and flow throughout (like an ALBUM shood have)

i really cant wait for this shit to come out in stores...i'd like to see who produced each song...and i might actually buy 2 of these (i bought 2 of TGM) and i will undoubtebly be promotin this shit to everyone i know...

make sure u guys cop this shit it IS amazing....trust me u won't be dissappointed at all...support these dudes yo

Jin10304
02-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Associated [prod by Bronze]
New Year Banga [prod by K7]
Welcome Home [prod by Bronze]

Jin10304
02-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Oh and I believe P.Sunn is on the chrous of Goblins, sorry no verse

maestro wooz
02-18-2007, 01:38 AM
im loving this shit also. I wanna know production credits, it's mostly bronze right?

When does it officially drop?

ps. vast aires verse is shitty, i liked him on the can ox stuff, but it feels like he takes forever to finish his verses on everything else ive heard.

Ya_Bane
02-18-2007, 05:36 AM
im loving this shit also. I wanna know production credits, it's mostly bronze right?

When does it officially drop?

It drops 27th and it's 100% Bronze & Kevlaar production.

inditing dane
02-18-2007, 05:47 AM
this album is fucking awsome. i love all the tracks, and bronze is quickly becoming one of my favorites. He has the sickest beats, and lyrically he's getting superb. I gotta get this when it drops. Please do the same and support real hiphop

Marc051
02-18-2007, 06:14 AM
how come u guys are giving this album a 5/5 when you're rating a lot of songs 3.5/5?

leaguer1
02-18-2007, 10:16 AM
very consistently dope album; another great addition to the bronze library.

i give almost every track an 8.5/10.

Wu Stoneman
02-18-2007, 11:58 AM
how come u guys are giving this album a 5/5 when you're rating a lot of songs 3.5/5?

I think because the album is so cohesive. Even if every track isn't a 5/5, the album as a whole is put together so well, it's great a a whole package. At least thats how I feel, others should agree.

Kinda of the same thing with Supereme Clientele, every track wasn't 5/5 on there but the album is.

Shaolin Bloody Sword
02-18-2007, 01:07 PM
I still have to listen to it more. I think Bronze Nazareth is an ok MC on the mic, he's crew too but his production makes up for everything. The featurings have a huge impact on this album. It's definitly an 8/10

the silencer
02-19-2007, 01:46 PM
this thread should be a poll...

mods?

num2son
02-20-2007, 10:32 PM
1. Introduction - 3.5/5
2. New Year Banga - 4/5
3. Illness - 4.5/5
4. Associated (f. Gza) - 5/5
5. Mixture Of Muhammad - 4/5
6. Iconoclasts - 4/5
7. Founder Of Pain - 3.5/5
8. Blinded - 3.5/5
9. Up There Beyond - 3.5/5
10. Verbal Joust - 3/5
11. Words from the Prodigal Sunn
12. Goblins - 3.5/5
13. Welcome Home - 4.5/5
14. Honor's Promise - 3.5/5
15. Wisemen Approaching - 3.5/5

I had to listen to the album a couple times to find out that this is a dope album.

8.5/10

oDoUoSoKo
02-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Bronze for some reason is amazing to me...maaaad poetic...he is like the new age MK...dope on boards 2.

_BaLaNcE_
02-22-2007, 03:35 AM
no doubt..painting pictures all of em..modern day lyricall van goghs
my favourite tracks are illness, up there beyond, goblins

Mista JpKoff
02-22-2007, 05:28 AM
That good ol' track by track :

1. Introduction 3.5 a bit too slow to rap over
2. New Year Banga 4 not dope but good
3. Illness - 4 flashes of brilliance... cash in abundance... good
4. Associated (f. Gza) - 4.5 fast beat, kinda ill... can't stand that new gza voice though
5. Mixture Of Muhammad - 3.5 not that bad but sort of a filler
6. Iconoclasts - 4.5 dope horns, great song
7. Founder Of Pain - 4 good shit, couldve gotten tiring had it been longer
8. Blinded - 5 love that shit, signature Bronze track............. but its produced by Kevlaar !
9. Up There Beyond - 4.5 one of my favorite, vocal sample is ill
10. Verbal Joust - 3.5 another that looks life a filler, but then again i cant front, i like it
11. Words from the Prodigal Sunn - ^^
12. Goblins - 5 that beat is fire, Planet Asia rips it, real dope
13. Welcome Home - 4 between 2 great tracks, it pales in comparison
14. Honor's Promise - 5 love that shit... once again i was surprised to see that Kev's behind the boards
15. Wisemen Approaching - 4 good way to end the album

As i love trumpets and vocal samples, i couldn't help but enjoy the cd... It lacks some microphone skills sometimes and more uptempo joints. Each song taken one by one is at least good, there are some dope dope tracks, it's very cohesive but it can seem a bit flat taken as a whole.

4/5 for the album

Marc051
02-23-2007, 09:46 PM
It's a good album but nothing mind-blowing.

NaPo-Wu-Academy
02-24-2007, 03:25 AM
im feelin the album,the rest of the group sound on point also,but keepin it honest hes better solo, an the way he was spittin on that track waters of nazareth is how that migration album shoulda been soundin like...jus what im thinkin, butt thas not knockin the movement at all jus what i think would work better...

LHX
02-25-2007, 10:18 PM
man - where is the exciement?

this album reminds me of Good Will Hunting

its good - really well put together - but fuckin hell it made me want to jump off a bridge

THE W
02-25-2007, 10:37 PM
^^you saying this albm has a suicidal vibe to it?

LHX
02-26-2007, 09:45 AM
^^you saying this albm has a suicidal vibe to it?

not really

its just got a real bleak vibe

no playfulness at all

its all about fleeting victories in a world going down in flames

it couldve used a couple tracks like Pinky Ring

its possible to be deep and still be upbeat

just like the Think Differently album - the saving graces on there were the first track wiff GZA and Ras Kass, the solo track by Del, and the two tracks near the end by CCF and RA/J-Live

if you had taken out ANY of those tracks, that album would have been like staring out the window on a grey overcast rainy day

there is a lot of silver lining
even in Detroit

MF Doom is a walking testament that you can speak on the horrors of the world and still be easy breezy

Mista JpKoff
02-26-2007, 10:36 AM
its possible to be deep and still be upbeat

MF Doom is a walking testament that you can speak on the horrors of the world and still be easy breezy

right ! that pretty much sums up what's missing from that album... pretty good though

BRONZBODY
02-26-2007, 11:11 AM
yeah it does have a morbid kinda feel to it but if this is a sign of things to come then its gonna be a great year for wu and its affiliates

the silencer
02-26-2007, 05:00 PM
LHX, i kinda see what ur sayin but i think tracks like Welcome Home and maybe Mixture of Muhammad (with all the scratchin' and sick beat) kinda pick up the tone a little...

i dono, im completely lovin this shit so far

LHX
02-26-2007, 06:58 PM
it is a really good album

Bloo
02-27-2007, 04:04 AM
http://www.hiphopcrack.com/wisemen
Here's the crackspace page for the Wisemen. check out the Iconoclasts video. They replaced Killah Priest's verse with one from Salute but it's still tight. Best low budget video I've seen since Bone Thugs :lmao:

Altaire
02-27-2007, 01:44 PM
not really

its just got a real bleak vibe

no playfulness at all

its all about fleeting victories in a world going down in flames

Come live in the D for a while...

FasterBlade
02-27-2007, 06:50 PM
its very well done, 4.25 off a few listens. Phillie and Bronze are strong, beats are crazy except for maybe Verbal Joust. my least fav B beat thus far

the silencer
02-27-2007, 09:58 PM
picked up the official one today..

it was really refreshing to go to the Virgin music store on 14th street and see a whole shit load of Wisemen albums, Hell Razah albums, and Mathematics albums in the FRONT of the hip hop section...i just hope that means ppl are actualy buyin them

LHX
02-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Come live in the D for a while...

life on earth is shit right now period

ive seen what i need to see of detroit

there is still silver lining
even tho it looks like a dull muddy grey sometimes

THE W
03-02-2007, 08:49 PM
this album is pretty damn good but it doesnt give me that wow feeling that TGM did.

Marc051
03-03-2007, 07:09 AM
this album is pretty damn good but it doesnt give me that wow feeling that TGM did.

i feel ya bro

shaolin_danger
03-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Album is bang'n:thumbup: i love Bronze's production it sound tight:b , i love the sample'n i can't wait to blast it in the car over the 20 speaker 3000 watt stereo system:cool:

Wu Stoneman
03-04-2007, 11:17 PM
Lyrically....I salute them. this is well crafted....they hung with Gza (IMO Bronze got Gza on this one! Im going to take heat on that but type out both verses and tell me who's is tighter..) they killed it with with Vast, they were on the level on all the joints with their guests...flaaaaames

maestro wooz
03-15-2007, 02:10 AM
been getting into this album lately. The beat on founder of pain has been stuck in my head for two straight days. The song with vast aire has a sick ass beat but vast comes pretty gay. Some good shit here.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
03-15-2007, 02:46 PM
the one with GZA plays on my mp3 player a lot, should be single number 2

Xipe Totec
03-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Maybe I need to listen to this again - I don't know, but if I wasn't driving at the time I probably would've fallen asleep.

Ya_Bane
04-21-2007, 02:01 PM
I agree Bronze probably killed GZA on Associated. Associated, Illness and Mixture of Muhammed.. Fucking sick tracks. Sick album. I got some problems with certain elements, but overall probably one of the 5 Best albums to come out the last 6 months.

Fresh Breath
06-02-2007, 01:19 PM
1. Introduction - 4.5/5
2. New Year Banga - 4/5
3. Illness - 4.5/5
4. Associated (f. Gza) - 5/5
5. Mixture Of Muhammad - 5/5
6. Iconoclasts - 5/5
7. Founder Of Pain - 4/5
8. Blinded - 5/5
9. Up There Beyond - 4.5/5
10. Verbal Joust - 3.5/5
11. Words from the Prodigal Sunn - 3/5
12. Goblins - 4/5
13. Welcome Home - 4.5/5
14. Honor's Promise - 5/5
15. Wisemen Approaching - 5/5

Finally got my wisemen album today, but ive heard it before so i thought id wait an write this review until the bought the album!!

Id def say the best track on the album is "Honours promise"... an followin close behind is "Blinded" Bronze's lyrics are unreal in blinded the way he mimics his first verse!!

If u like The Great Migration, you'l love this i think!!

Overall id give it ... 4.6/5 ... Very nice album!!

Suga Duga
08-25-2007, 07:26 PM
wow, can't believe I haven't posted in here...well:

I just started listening again to this album this week and I'm once again stunned by the effort from the 4 MC's and the production Kevlaar and Bronze deliver...

this album is a personal classic, I don't skip one song...I'm a little bit scared to try to rate this album each song by itself b/c I'm pretty sure you won't find a 3/5 lookin through my ratings...

I'm not sure if the Offering is the album of the year while bumpin this album here...

the silencer
08-25-2007, 07:53 PM
wow, lookin at my review from way back i cant believe i only gave Honor's Promise a 3.5 i LOVE that shit...i never get tired of it, definitely a 5/5 but i'll leave it as is..

also, funny to see that Altaire actually showed up here n made one post in response to LHX and never said anything on here ever again....he murdered Welcome Home, such a nice verse.....cant wait to see an album from him (with Bronze beats!)..

DR. NICK RIVIERA
08-26-2007, 01:41 AM
all the verses were nice...:)

sooo, what are they next plans? Bronze solo? and then?

Suga Duga
08-26-2007, 08:53 AM
all the verses were nice...:)

sooo, what are they next plans? Bronze solo? and then?

another Wisemen album is in the works...Kevlaar7 will also come through with a solo LP

TAURO
04-27-2008, 10:49 PM
I've been bumping this album non stop for the last week, I honestly can't get enough of this group. Each song has such an infectious vibe that I honestly can't say I dislike any track, it's certainly not one of those albums thats going to grab you instantly, it's an album that needs time to fully grow on you. When I first heard it I thought it was good but I wasn't amazed by it, but then I just started to play it again and as I got into it I began to see those qualities both in the lyrics and production that I just never caught the first few times.

The Wisemen are fully capable mc's managing to balance street parables with messages that never preach but is endearing to the listener. The production is borderline faultless and it actually amazes my how Bronze is not a hot commodity with his production work.

Im not even sure if this group are official killa bees or whether it's just Bronze but in anycase this group is certainly one to showcase the validity of the killa bee status and they are definately one of the best showcases for some of the best hip hop to come out of detroit.

Lyrics 4/5
Beats 5/5
Overall 4/5

the silencer
04-28-2008, 10:57 AM
I've been bumping this album non stop for the last week, I honestly can't get enough of this group. Each song has such an infectious vibe that I honestly can't say I dislike any track, it's certainly not one of those albums thats going to grab you instantly, it's an album that needs time to fully grow on you. When I first heard it I thought it was good but I wasn't amazed by it, but then I just started to play it again and as I got into it I began to see those qualities both in the lyrics and production that I just never caught the first few times.

The Wisemen are fully capable mc's managing to balance street parables with messages that never preach but is endearing to the listener. The production is borderline faultless and it actually amazes my how Bronze is not a hot commodity with his production work.

Im not even sure if this group are official killa bees or whether it's just Bronze but in anycase this group is certainly one to showcase the validity of the killa bee status and they are definately one of the best showcases for some of the best hip hop to come out of detroit.

Lyrics 4/5
Beats 5/5
Overall 4/5

word up, my friend...

next up is The Great Migration...i know you never let that joint sink in..it's quite possibly in my top 5 favorite albums of all time..

ALSO, just a note for anybody interested...When this album first dropped all the voting and discussion and shit was mainly going on in this thread: link (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34115&highlight=wisemen)..

so if you're interested in reading more about ppl's reactions u may wanna peep that...

(another note...i'm gonna resurrect the Wisemen Approaching Lyric Interpretation thread very soon cuz i've got a bunch of questions on it)

Supreme-NRT
04-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Pretty solid album, liked "The Great Migration" better tho'.

Maccabee Ridah
07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Damn, I just got this album, and I'm fuckin amazed. This is one of best albums that I have heard lately! I'm currently bangin 6th track, and I have already vote for classic, cuz we r not in position to hear more projects like this one nowadayz! Beats r fuckin mad, I have played only 6th tracks, and I liked 5 of them, especially Iconoclasts, and when I heard KP on it, I just had to vote for Classic! Only thing I am not really happy bout is that guestlist is not really long, there is only GZA of generals, and few killa beez, tho' the album is fuckin ill. Lyrics r great, and so far, I am fuckin amazed with album!

Ill album, for me it's instant classic, 11/10!

Peace....................
-suuuuuuuuu///

SmashEveryThing
12-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Friday, February 13, 2009 @ The Eagle Theatre - 15 South Saginaw, Downtown Pontiac, MI

"Bronze Nazareth & The Wisemen" -Kevlaar 7, Phillies, Illa Dayz, Beace, Salute, June Megalodon plus I.W.G (Indianapolis, IN), Maliki The Most Hi and other special guests!!!

ShaDynasty
05-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Classic. When this came out i listened to it for a whole month almost every day. and revisiting it, its still shocking how fucking great it is and how almost nobody knows who these guys are.

No weak links in this group, gotta say bronze kills everything though.

THE MASON
05-17-2012, 10:15 PM
ye i just bump this the other day as well, funny this thread gets bumped

dope album, sonically and lyrically. everyone def brought the A game. some might say its more simple but its definitely a lot more effective